PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Chris Collingsworth?

Jason
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a definite off season post. I just can't wrap my head around important topics like new coordinators and potential FAs anymore, so it's on to TMZ style topics. Let me preface this with a trip down memory lane. In the summer of 84 as a 10 yr old I attended my 1st Bengals training camp ( I didn't make the 1st round of cuts :rotf:) and while screaming Chris at the top of my lungs I was blown off for an autograph ( I've since gotten over it). As a consolation Jim Breech approached me and said "I'm not Chris, but I'll sign it"... classy... A little side note, Chris was sporting knee high socks with his daisy dukes, and a cut off belly shirt lookin' thing. His hair was also permed!!! I guess what I'm getting at is that I can't stand the guy. He left the team to play in the USFL, you youngins may not remember that. Since his retirement, despite being a yokel, he has landed TV and radio jobs. Recently he has taken to bad mouthing my team, and works with 3 other cats that I cant stand Barber, Costas, and the Bus. This group makes up the WORST pre/post game crew in history. I just had to get that off of my chest! Sorry....

jamiethelanky
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
He was a good, if not great receiver. I haven't had the chance to meet him, but he just seems to be quite boring when announcing on games.

patskiba
01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
i'm sorry - his name is cris collinsworth. i used to hate it when frank gifford called him "collingsworth"!

Buckeyehitman
01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
I like Collinsworth, he was a dependable receiver. Right now he's a pretty good commentator too. I know a lot of people are saying he's horrible on the NFL network, but I think that might have more to do with Gumbel than Collinsworth.

WeezyBengal
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Best white receiver of our time. Wait, hes the best white receiver ever! :lol:

jamiethelanky
01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Ed McCaffrey? Steve Largent? Fred Biletnikoff?

Carp
01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
As a consolation Jim Breech approached me and said "I'm not Chris, but I'll sign it"... classy...

A very classy man. Helped that his son was your same age at the time.

BengalBoyTX
01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I like Collinsworth, he was a dependable receiver. Right now he's a pretty good commentator too. I know a lot of people are saying he's horrible on the NFL network, but I think that might have more to do with Gumbel than Collinsworth.

Agreed, Gumble is the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. I tend to like Collinsworth's commentary though.....except when he's raggin' on the Bengals...which is always...just like Boomer. See this is what we need, a QB and WR who are so in tune with each other that even 15-20 years later they're still on the same page. <_<

jamiethelanky
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Agreed, Gumble is the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. I tend to like Collinsworth's commentary though.....except when he's raggin' on the Bengals...which is always...just like Boomer. See this is what we need, a QB and WR who are so in tune with each other that even 15-20 years later they're still on the same page. <_<
Black Mage!

I think Collinsworth does it in good humour though. He has described us as "America's Team" in the past...

Buckeyehitman
01-17-2008, 01:36 PM

This guy disagrees....

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/007/098/01F.jpg

have faith
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Don Beebe? Wayne Chrebet? Also a couple of outstanding Recievers.

carsyn20
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I was young but he always struck me as a prima donna....have you seen the commercial where he interacts with some blonde model back in the 80's? Came off as full of himself.

Don't mind listening to him...gumbel on the other......blahhhhhhhhh........

airwalters
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
His nickname was "Cadillac" when he played.

I think he's OK, not great. Next time you see him notice his head....it's huge. Like the Seinfeld skit about the big head.

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I was young but he always struck me as a prima donna....have you seen the commercial where he interacts with some blonde model back in the 80's? Came off as full of himself.

Don't mind listening to him...gumbel on the other......blahhhhhhhhh........

Chris Collinsworth is a pompus ***! I was helping at the Marvin Lewis golf tourney and he should up and wouldn't even say hello to anyone. He was just rude! He wouldn't sign anything for anyone. I mean come on...CHRIS COLLINSWORTH wouldn't sign autographs for people? Please...maybe if you are LT or Carson Palmer, but Chris Collinsworth...HAHA!

jamiethelanky
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

I think he's OK, not great. Next time you see him notice his head....it's huge. Like the Seinfeld skit about the big head.
Abnormally long fingers, as well...

peteao
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
A very classy man. Helped that his son was your same age at the time.

Yes he is...

peteao
01-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Hall of Famer, Lance Alworth??

STC
01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Cris Collinsworth...C-r-i-s C-o-l-l-i-n-s-w-o-r-t-h... Cris Collinsworth

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Cris Collinsworth...C-r-i-s C-o-l-l-i-n-s-w-o-r-t-h... Cris Collinsworth

HAHA! I love people that are spelling hounds...I am the same way. I mean if you want people to take you seriously then at least know how to spell words like defense and offense and especially a name such as Cris Collinsworth. It is probably an honest mistake Jason and I forgive you...but the people that spell defense D E F E N C E or O F F E N C E bug the **** out of me...HAHAHA

jamiethelanky
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
HAHA! I love people that are spelling hounds...I am the same way. I mean if you want people to take you seriously then at least know how to spell words like defense and offense and especially a name such as Chris Collinsworth. It is probably an honest mistake Jason and I forgive you...but the people that spell defense D E F E N C E or O F F E N C E bug the **** out of me...HAHAHA
You spelt 'defence' wrong...

Jasonew6
01-17-2008, 03:15 PM
HAHA! I love people that are spelling hounds...I am the same way. I mean if you want people to take you seriously then at least know how to spell words like defense and offense and especially a name such as Chris Collinsworth. It is probably an honest mistake Jason and I forgive you...but the people that spell defense D E F E N C E or O F F E N C E bug the **** out of me...HAHAHA

Uh, it's Cris. No "h".

:)

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Uh, it's Cris. No "h".

:-)

HAHAHA!!!!! HOW FREAKING FUNNY IS THAT!!!!!! Cris Collinsworth! I corrected my mistake so hopefully you are the only person who caught that. If not, I will just tell people you added the "h" in the quote to make me look like an idiot! HAHAHA!

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
You spelt 'defence' wrong...

HAHAHA...sorry jamee I cannt spel 2day

DooDooMagoo
01-17-2008, 03:25 PM

100% correct.. he's not too bad when he's not with gumbel... gumbel would ruin anyone

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
100% correct.. he's not too bad when he's not with gumbel... gumbel would ruin anyone

I agree....terrible commentator! Cris isn't bad at his current job.

DennyGII
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
the fact that chris is a great x-bengal, still lives in the cincy area and is a big time t.v personality makes him great to me.

Jason
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
i'm sorry - his name is cris collinsworth. i used to hate it when frank gifford called him "collingsworth"!
My bad! I told you he didn't sign for me.

Jason
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
HAHA! I love people that are spelling hounds...I am the same way. I mean if you want people to take you seriously then at least know how to spell words like defense and offense and especially a name such as Cris Collinsworth. It is probably an honest mistake Jason and I forgive you...but the people that spell defense D E F E N C E or O F F E N C E bug the **** out of me...HAHAHA
My bad!!! I'm used to reading those signs at the games. Plus when I'm at work I can't be too quick with the spell check in my head. As far as C-o-l-l-i-n-s-w-o-r-t-h goes... I might have spelled it right if he would have signed for me some 20 odd yrs ago!

dontyouevah
01-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Gumbel makes my ears bleed. You'd be better off muting the TV and commentate with your friends. Anyone who has watched a few games could do a better job than this guy.

zanetdaniels
01-17-2008, 04:49 PM
My bad!!! I'm used to reading those signs at the games. Plus when I'm at work I can't be too quick with the spell check in my head. As far as C-o-l-l-i-n-s-w-o-r-t-h goes... I might have spelled it right if he would have signed for me some 20 odd yrs ago!

Oh no problem bro....I was only kidding. You didn't didn't spell defense wrong...I just thought I would go on a little rant while I had the opportunity. No biggie man....I was kidding! ****, I spelled his name wrong right after I posted that. Who Dey!

bearcatbob
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM

I thought for sure you would have mentioned Lance Allworth!

whoodeybaby
01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Chris Collinsworth is a pompus ***! I was helping at the Marvin Lewis golf tourney and he should up and wouldn't even say hello to anyone. He was just rude! He wouldn't sign anything for anyone. I mean come on...CHRIS COLLINSWORTH wouldn't sign autographs for people? Please...maybe if you are LT or Carson Palmer, but Chris Collinsworth...HAHA!

I have the complete opposite opinion, i was working a soccer tournament this summer and happened to recongnize a voice looked up and it was cris he stopped took a minute to talk to me sign an autograph and was a genuinely nice guy, he then said he had to go because his daughter was getting ready to play, the next day at the same tournament he was back and i had brought a mini helmet just in case, he walked by and said hello to me by name and then said he would come back after his daughters game and sign my helmet, so i disagree with anyone who says that he isnt a nice man at least based omn my experience

Buckeyehitman
01-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I have the complete opposite opinion, i was working a soccer tournament this summer and happened to recongnize a voice looked up and it was cris he stopped took a minute to talk to me sign an autograph and was a genuinely nice guy, he then said he had to go because his daughter was getting ready to play, the next day at the same tournament he was back and i had brought a mini helmet just in case, he walked by and said hello to me by name and then said he would come back after his daughters game and sign my helmet, so i disagree with anyone who says that he isnt a nice man at least based omn my experience

Good story, you don't hear many famous people do that sort of thing.

BengalInTheDesert
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
This is a definite off season post. I just can't wrap my head around important topics like new coordinators and potential FAs anymore, so it's on to TMZ style topics. Let me preface this with a trip down memory lane. In the summer of 84 as a 10 yr old I attended my 1st Bengals training camp ( I didn't make the 1st round of cuts :rotf:) and while screaming Chris at the top of my lungs I was blown off for an autograph ( I've since gotten over it). As a consolation Jim Breech approached me and said "I'm not Chris, but I'll sign it"... classy... A little side note, Chris was sporting knee high socks with his daisy dukes, and a cut off belly shirt lookin' thing. His hair was also permed!!! I guess what I'm getting at is that I can't stand the guy. He left the team to play in the USFL, you youngins may not remember that. Since his retirement, despite being a yokel, he has landed TV and radio jobs. Recently he has taken to bad mouthing my team, and works with 3 other cats that I cant stand Barber, Costas, and the Bus. This group makes up the WORST pre/post game crew in history. I just had to get that off of my chest! Sorry....

I think at some point Chris was a good analyst, and the man is definately a great politician, bandwagon identifier.

I just can't stand anymore, that he has his nose so much up the Pats posterior he can taste what they had for breakfast.

Worst, he HAS been downing us. He used to say things that make sense, like defending Marvin's choice for the draft or trades with the likes of "well who wanted to go play in Cinci when Marvin started" and other mostly intelligent stuff like that.

Where I lost him is that he showed NO team loyalty (as neither has Boomer) by calling Bill Cowher a total IDIOT for trying to start **** with Chad now that he is a commentator.

On Cowher, he was a spineless coward as a coach, and he is a spineless coward as a commentator/analyst.

On the original subject: I am very close to being done on Chris as giving him props for having been a Bengal.

Bengal In The Desert

artanis
01-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I think at some point Chris was a good analyst, and the man is definately a great politician, bandwagon identifier.

I just can't stand anymore, that he has his nose so much up the Pats posterior he can taste what they had for breakfast.

Worst, he HAS been downing us. He used to say things that make sense, like defending Marvin's choice for the draft or trades with the likes of "well who wanted to go play in Cinci when Marvin started" and other mostly intelligent stuff like that.

Where I lost him is that he showed NO team loyalty (as neither has Boomer) by calling Bill Cowher a total IDIOT for trying to start **** with Chad now that he is a commentator.

On Cowher, he was a spineless coward as a coach, and he is a spineless coward as a commentator/analyst.

On the original subject: I am very close to being done on Chris as giving him props for having been a Bengal.

Bengal In The Desert

Actually, I like the fact that Collinsworth and Boomer rag on us...we deserve it...we all know we underperformed...besides...all we do on here is mock the homers of the world...you know who they are...if these guys defended all the crapola of the last two years we would dog them to no end.

Slappy from New Haven
01-17-2008, 10:34 PM

He doesn't have an oversized head just a twig of a neck

bengal_prideforlife
01-18-2008, 01:27 AM
This is a definite off season post. I just can't wrap my head around important topics like new coordinators and potential FAs anymore, so it's on to TMZ style topics. Let me preface this with a trip down memory lane. In the summer of 84 as a 10 yr old I attended my 1st Bengals training camp ( I didn't make the 1st round of cuts :rotf:) and while screaming Chris at the top of my lungs I was blown off for an autograph ( I've since gotten over it). As a consolation Jim Breech approached me and said "I'm not Chris, but I'll sign it"... classy... A little side note, Chris was sporting knee high socks with his daisy dukes, and a cut off belly shirt lookin' thing. His hair was also permed!!! I guess what I'm getting at is that I can't stand the guy. He left the team to play in the USFL, you youngins may not remember that. Since his retirement, despite being a yokel, he has landed TV and radio jobs. Recently he has taken to bad mouthing my team, and works with 3 other cats that I cant stand Barber, Costas, and the Bus. This group makes up the WORST pre/post game crew in history. I just had to get that off of my chest! Sorry....Despite him being a Steeler and me being a die hard Bengal fan I actually like Jerome Bettis....he is a classy guy and seems like a real down to earth dude....I hate that he was a Steeler cause he killed us quite a bit but he is retired and I have forgiven him....:thumbsup:

Ravage
01-18-2008, 05:49 AM

Tom Waddle!!!! ok, that's a complete joke, unlike the others mentioned, but I just had to throw Waddle in ;)

zanetdaniels
01-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Fair enough....I am just speaking from my experience

PollackHeart
01-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Cris is a helluva commentator and a REALLY nice guy.

Jason
01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Despite him being a Steeler and me being a die hard Bengal fan I actually like Jerome Bettis....he is a classy guy and seems like a real down to earth dude....I hate that he was a Steeler cause he killed us quite a bit but he is retired and I have forgiven him....:thumbsup:
Me too! His personality is fine. I just hate where he cames from. Barber is a different story.

DaddyCincinnati
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I can't hate on anyone who gets on t.v. and says, "Hummer, there's nothing like it!"

Kriz Kooligswerth is a realy greet guy and a gooder speller thon me.

joefan
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM

Not even close. Baletnikoff, Alworth, Largent.......etc.

TKuhl
01-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Hmmm who is in love the most? Madden and Favre or Chris and Brady.?

Buckeyehitman
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmmm who is in love the most? Madden and Favre or Chris and Brady.?

Madden and Favre, it's gone on longer.

Besides I think Tony Kornheiser is more in love with Tom Brady than Collinsworth is.

ORIGINALATLBENGAL
01-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Collinsworth is a DWEEB! True, he was a dependable receiver, but as a commentator he, Bryant Gumbel and Dan Dierdork cause me to turn the volume down whenever they announce a game. Gumbel is too bland, Dierdork is a straight-up Bengal Basher and Collinsworth...he just piles on whenever a snide remark is made about the Bengals. Look at Dan Marino. The Dolphins were 1-FOREVER last year and he often picked them to win. He took heat from the crew on HBO's INFL crew, but he stuck to his guns. If I ever saw him, I wouldn't want his autograph...but I'd sure like to give him something to remember ME by.:tool:

Buckeyehitman
01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Collinsworth is a DWEEB! True, he was a dependable receiver, but as a commentator he, Bryant Gumbel and Dan Dierdork cause me to turn the volume down whenever they announce a game. Gumbel is too bland, Dierdork is a straight-up Bengal Basher and Collinsworth...he just piles on whenever a snide remark is made about the Bengals. Look at Dan Marino. The Dolphins were 1-FOREVER last year and he often picked them to win. He took heat from the crew on HBO's INFL crew, but he stuck to his guns. If I ever saw him, I wouldn't want his autograph...but I'd sure like to give him something to remember ME by.:tool:

Yeah, I want a shameless homer for a football analyst too. :sarcasm:

Seriously, are you kidding me? Your main problem with him is that he doesn't slurp his old team like all the rest of the ex jocks?

I like that our old players have more integrity than that.

browns town bengal
01-18-2008, 09:25 PM

jeff "mullet" query?

franchise
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Incredibly annoying, I can't stand Collinsworth since he's been on TV. Really the whole team of him, Bettis and Tiki are horrible. The bengals bashing and Patriots enfatuation is tiresome and he's got a cockiness to him.

Slappy from New Haven
01-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I thought for sure you would have mentioned Lance Allworth!

Danny Ambromowitz?

Who_dey_hooligan
01-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Between cadillac and hummer commercials chris collinsworth is the so full of himself I think there is another little collinsworth hiding inside. He seems pompus and arrogant. I've never met the man in real life but I do like judging a book by its cover. Set me straight. Does he do any charity work for cincy? Does he still have any records as a Bengal? :tiger:

conatigirl
01-20-2008, 12:38 AM
...As a consolation Jim Breech approached me and said "I'm not Chris, but I'll sign it"... classy...

Jim Breech has always been a class act.

Cris does rag on the Bengals, sure, but not with the same frequency or note of derision Boomer does. And honestly, for the NFL Network broadcast team, I think he's the better of the two. Bryant didn't get his brother's flair for sports reporting. As for the NBC team, Tiki I'm okay with, probably because I've seen him on Today and love him there (as opposed to Bryant who annoyed me on Today), and the Bus, well, I respect him as a player, and at least he has a sense of humor. His first broadcast, after all, was at a Bengals home game, where he was booed every time he opened his mouth.

I enjoyed that broadcast...
:beng:

ShovelheadT
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Boomer rags on the Bengals just as much as Cris does. My opinion is that these guys are allowed to say whatever they want. It's got to bug the **** out of them watching what goes on today.

ShovelheadT
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Another little Collinsworth fact

"Collinsworth was named Anthony Cris instead of "Cris Anthony" by his mother because, according to her, it "sounded too much like 'chrysanthemum'."

ShovelheadT
01-20-2008, 03:37 PM
And one more thing. Those of you that hate on his broadcasting skills...

"He received a Sports Emmy Award in April 1998 as "Outstanding Studio Analyst" and his second in 1999, re-affirming his status as a respected football broadcaster. His excellence in broadcasting continued to be recognized with his third and fourth Sports Emmy Awards in 2003 and 2004 as "Outstanding Sports Personality/Studio Analyst." In May 2006 he added a fifth with an Emmy Award again in the category "Outstanding Sports Personality/Studio Analyst" for his work on HBO."

RandyRoy
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I dislike Chris Collingsworth very strongly, and I wish he would have played for some other team.