PDA

View Full Version : Jumbro's 1st Half Analysis

Jumbro
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
So far this is what I see...some good some bad

I love having a TE to throw to
Chris Perry and Kenny Watson took a while to warm up, but I'm liking that burst of speed I'm seeing
Defense looks much more agressive...not necessarily better, but much more agressive (a positive in my book)
tackling looks bad...a lot of broken/missed arm tackles
Nice pressure on the QB coming from the D-line!

bengal_prideforlife
08-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Chris Perry and Kenny Watson took a while to warm up, but I'm liking that burst of speed I'm seeing
Defense looks much more agressive...not necessarily better, but much more agressive (a positive in my book)
This is bad on the surface, but it is also something that can be easily fixed....no worries!!!!!

cpurdon
08-11-2008, 10:05 PM
This is bad on the surface, but it is also something that can be easily fixed....no worries!!!!!

This is something we have been trying to fix for 15 years. I wouldnt call that easy. Every year we have problems tackling, there is nothing shown so far that, that hasnt changed.

barryllium
08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
This is something we have been trying to fix for 15 years. I wouldnt call that easy. Every year we have problems tackling, there is nothing shown so far that, that hasnt changed.

Sadly, this is exactly what I was thinking. If we aren't missing tackles, the defense is pitching a shutout.

barryllium
08-11-2008, 10:12 PM

I was thinking all of this. The only other thing that stuck out to me is that David Jones needs to work on his technique. If he can keep his head on a swivel, that will help a lot, because he doesn't see the ball coming until it's too late.

jjenn300
08-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I am glad Marvin left the 1st team o in untill they got a first down. I wouldn't let that defense back on the plane to Cincy.

eakephas
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I am glad Marvin left the 1st team o in untill they got a first down. I wouldn't let that defense back on the plane to Cincy.

Put them at the end of the runway and tell them that if they want to go home they'll have learn how to grab onto something.

Maybe that'll help solve our tackling problems.

Jumbro
08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Put them at the end of the runway and tell them that if they want to go home they'll have learn how to grab onto something.

Maybe that'll help solve our tackling problems.

trying to "Grab onto something" is our entire problem with tackling...need to learn how to square something up and wrap it up.

ON another note, I meant to title this 1st quarter, not half...but oh well. To add on after the 2nd quarter:

I like Fitz as our backup. If carson were to go down (God forbid) I think Fitz could help carry the offense and keep games winnable as long as the D does their job
Marvin White and his heavey hits are AWESOME. I love seeing a safety give the opponents bruise after bruise to remember him by
O-line looked fairly good, especially with the first string in my opinion....seemed like towards the end of the half though the tackles were having a hard time keep guys out (but atleast they were keeping them outside giving Fitz a space to run through in the middle).

a6pk2go
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
trying to "Grab onto something" is our entire problem with tackling...need to learn how to square something up and wrap it up.

ON another note, I meant to title this 1st quarter, not half...but oh well. To add on after the 2nd quarter:

I like Fitz as our backup. If carson were to go down (God forbid) I think Fitz could help carry the offense and keep games winnable as long as the D does their job
Marvin White and his heavey hits are AWESOME. I love seeing a safety give the opponents bruise after bruise to remember him by
O-line looked fairly good, especially with the first string in my opinion....seemed like towards the end of the half though the tackles were having a hard time keep guys out (but atleast they were keeping them outside giving Fitz a space to run through in the middle).

I agree Fitz is looking good and man o man did White put a hit on that guy??? Perry looked good but he needs to have a little more ball control. He is going to get better and better. It was also nice to see our BIG TE get a score.

Jumbro
08-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree Fitz is looking good and man o man did White put a hit on that guy??? Perry looked good but he needs to have a little more ball control. He is going to get better and better. It was also nice to see our BIG TE get a score.

I agree...I'm givin ghim the benefit of the doubt tonight though. He is on a mission--a mission to finally play football again and shut all of us (yes me included) naysayers up about his ability to stay happen. I think he was determined to make a little too much happen each time he touched the ball. I'm confident he will settle down.

Dricis
08-11-2008, 10:52 PM
posted this in another thread

For starters, they took joseph and hall out really early, and I'm not sure why, but jones and o'neal were getting passed on quite a bit, and they were definately targeting jones. The tackling conerns me, and it got better towards the end of the half. Definately a lot of stuff to work on, but the offense looked a lot better after knocking off the rust, and they were still going against the majority of the packers 1st string defense when they got their first TD because hawk was still out there. Dont forget, TJ was also out, and he's a huge part of the bengals passing attack, and its pretty clear that no one else on the team can currently make up for him. Am I happy about the bengals performance, no, but they do seem to be making adjustments during the game, so hopefully our second preseason game they will look a bit more polished.