PDA

View Full Version : Will Marvin Lewis be fired????

DA2EdwardsTD
10-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Just a question, Is there any chance of your coach being fired. I can't see any team continuing employment of a coach that can't even get his current players to even play respectable football. With all the other coaching changes around the league that are on teams that are even better than the Bengals. If they keep Marvin what is the whole reason behind keeping him through this season to the next????

34inXXIII
10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, I could never have imagined the Browns leaving Cleveland, yet that happened too. Why did it happen? Ownership was determined to run that business their own way, fans be damned.

Now, will Marvin Lewis be fired? No. Why? See above.

steelman59
10-28-2008, 01:56 AM
In a word no. Why? The answer is green like money.

philhos
10-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Normally, I'd say that even Mike Brown would fire Lewis given the horrendous start to the season in conjunction with the fact that we've gone downhill every year since making the playoffs (2005 - 11-5; 2006 - 8-8; 2007 - 7-9; 2008 - 0-8).

However, when we were like 0-4 or 0-5, Brown stated that Lewis can coach here for as long as he likes (I forget the exact wording). Now, it may have just been a vote of confidence so Lewis doesn't have to look over his shoulder, but somehow I doubt that.

But, who knows? Maybe going 0-10 or 0-16 may force Brown to realize that drastic changes are needed. I doubt it, but it's always a possibility.

wildcats forever
10-28-2008, 11:14 AM
It should be a serious consideration but here is one thing that worries me; when MB brought in ML he gave him more autonomy than any previous coach, and now that it isn't working will MB revert back to his even more meddlesome ways?

meanJoe
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Just a question, Is there any chance of your coach being fired. I can't see any team continuing employment of a coach that can't even get his current players to even play respectable football. With all the other coaching changes around the league that are on teams that are even better than the Bengals. If they keep Marvin what is the whole reason behind keeping him through this season to the next????

Why? You've had 3 coaches since the Clowns returned and you still blow. How many have the Bengals had? Too many, and it's not doing them much good either.

It's the players. You got to have the players. I happen to think Marvin is a good coach, and that Barry Switzer was a bum, yet Barry won a SB because he had players.
Chuck Noll is considered a great coach because he won 4 SB's, but what happened in the 80's? The Steelers from 1980 to 1989 were a tad over .500 in wins and losses.

I believe that firing a coach because the team ***** is overrated.

GreggyDigital
10-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm sure this has been talked about here or JN but I heard on the radio that Brown won't fire Marvin if he has to pay him the two remaining years on the contract. It goes against every cheap bone in his body.

Rayne
10-28-2008, 12:01 PM

No chance whatsoever.

MB knows the problem isn't the HC, it's him. He wants a HC that's going to take the blame for him.

Jumbro
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Will he or should he? That is the question.

I do not see Mike Brown firing the coach who has 2 years left in the contract though. it is quite aggrivating really.

However, at this point, what is going to really tick me off more is if we wait until the end of the year with a record of 2-14 at best and THEN fire the coach. I was upset we waited till the end to fire Bresh. last year. I will be upset if we wait till the end and then fire Brat as well. The way I look at it, you have to use every minute of every day to your long term advantage. I twould be much MUCH better to get started now with a new mentality--be it on offense or defense. Waiting till the end of the year just means 8 puts us behind 8 more games at this point.

wildcats forever
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Why? You've had 3 coaches since the Clowns returned and you still blow. How many have the Bengals had? Too many, and it's not doing them much good either.

It's the players. You got to have the players. I happen to think Marvin is a good coach, and that Barry Switzer was a bum, yet Barry won a SB because he had players.
Chuck Noll is considered a great coach because he won 4 SB's, but what happened in the 80's? The Steelers from 1980 to 1989 were a tad over .500 in wins and losses.

I agree our coaching changes have yet to yield anything near what Bengals fans want, but I still hold them accountable for poor play calling, time management, etc. However, your point about players is well made. I can take a mule to Belmont, work him out along with the thorobreds, adorn him with stable colors and the best jockey, but when the gate opens that mule is still going to run like a mule.

The Bengals fail at almost every facet of the pro game, not just one thing unfortunately.

browns town bengal
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
It should be a serious consideration but here is one thing that worries me; when MB brought in ML he gave him more autonomy than any previous coach, and now that it isn't working will MB revert back to his even more meddlesome ways?

He's already there....see Chris Henry!

Marvins Mistake
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM

I believe that meaningless joe should be your new title as that fits you so very well.:thumbsup:

BobGeeFromPGH
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Will ???? it seems to this outsider that MB already has. As far as autonomy like the President of the Bengals and her hubby both in the front office????

rockintheboat
10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Fire Marvin ??? why ?? is his job on the line ?

He's seems to be the same hapless "Marvin" he has been for 3 years.... I see no need for change

All city's want a consistent team.... we have a VERY consistent team....

robdanger
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Bungals Head Coach's Office:

http://www.hsdoors.com/assets/images/Revolving_Door.jpg

philhos
10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Bungals Head Coach's Office:

http://www.hsdoors.com/assets/images/Revolving_Door.jpg

That would be funny if it were true. Too bad it's not. We've had 4 HCs since 1992: Marvin Lewis, Richard LeBeau, Bruce Coslet, and Dave Shula.

DA2EdwardsTD
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I have to say finding out how you all feel is pretty interesting. That 2 years left sounds crazy to me that MB wouldn't fire him if he still has to pay. It sounds there is just complacency with the Bengals and that mentality needs to change through the organization from the top down, because it definetely really started to show on the field. It didn't before but last week it has trickled all the way down to the field. Just sounds pretty crazy in your front office with MB, heck its no better than Clevelands front office over here with all that has transpired the past couple weeks. And I wouldn't say we blow, with just missing the playoffs and being competitive this year. But romeo's inconsitency will be his downfall this year

wildcats forever
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
He's already there....see Chris Henry!

Will ???? it seems to this outsider that MB already has. As far as autonomy like the President of the Bengals and her hubby both in the front office????

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I see that as well.....just wondering if he doesn't go off the deep end further, like deciding he can rehabilitate Michael Vick....

RhythmicGeek
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I have to say finding out how you all feel is pretty interesting. That 2 years left sounds crazy to me that MB wouldn't fire him if he still has to pay. It sounds there is just complacency with the Bengals and that mentality needs to change through the organization from the top down, because it definetely really started to show on the field. It didn't before but last week it has trickled all the way down to the field. Just sounds pretty crazy in your front office with MB, heck its no better than Clevelands front office over here with all that has transpired the past couple weeks. And I wouldn't say we blow, with just missing the playoffs and being competitive this year. But romeo's inconsitency will be his downfall this year

Maybe Mike Brown will take a cue from the Dolphins' owner and sell before the "Obama Tax Hike" takes place, lol. I just saw that headline on a news site and had to bring it up.

Rayne
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
That would be funny if it were true. Too bad it's not. We've had 4 HCs since 1992: Marvin Lewis, Richard LeBeau, Bruce Coslet, and Dave Shula.

Compared to us...it is.

We've only had 2.

philhos
10-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Compared to us...it is.

We've only had 2.

No, even compared to you it's not.

robdanger
10-28-2008, 02:38 PM

It is true and it is hilarious. Too bad for Cincitucky that its ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Compared to Pittsburgh, Cincitucky's HC's office is a revolving door in hyperdrive.

Pittsburgh has had only 3 HC's since 1969 - Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, & Mike Tomlin.

Why, because the Rooney's actually care about winning and let the coach run the team.

philhos
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
It is true and it is hilarious. Too bad for Cincitucky that its ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Compared to Pittsburgh, Cincitucky's HC's office is a revolving door in hyperdrive.

Pittsburgh has had only 3 HC's since 1969 - Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, & Mike Tomlin.

Why, because the Rooney's actually care about winning and let the coach run the team.

From 1968, we've only had 9 HCs (and that's counting Homer Rice who only coached 1 1/2 seasons).

We're STILL not a revolving door of HCs. A revolving door of HCs would be like getting a new HC every other year (that's 1 every 2 years). The Bengals have had 9 in 40 years. That's a little more than 1 every 4 years.

In fact, we've only had 3 coaches in our existence who've lasted 3 seasons or less: Richard LeBeau (3 seasons), Bill Johnson (2 1/2 seasons) and Homer Rice.

I find it laughable that you have all this ammo to smack the Bengals with and you pick something that's not true. It's sad, really.

BobGeeFromPGH
10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Fire Marvin ??? why ?? is his job on the line ?

He's seems to be the same hapless "Marvin" he has been for 3 years.... I see no need for change

All city's want a consistent team.... we have a VERY consistent team....
:Clap::rotf::Clap::rotf::Clap:

Bmoreblitz
10-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Hopefully they sign him to a huge extension. this team will lose and lose alot if he stays HC.:thumbsup:

RhythmicGeek
10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Hopefully they sign him to a huge extension. this team will lose and lose alot if he stays HC.:thumbsup:

It's not entirely the coach. It's just everything overall. They almost need to scrap and start over.

a370850
10-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Let's face it Bengals fans, as long as Mike Brown's breathing, this team will NEVER be a contender. We seem to strive on mediocrity, and acceptability for half-hearted play. You can bet if this team was the Dallas Cowboys, heads would have rolled already.