PDA

View Full Version : Laveranues Coles

Meatpie
03-02-2009, 12:15 AM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7536

it says "An internet report surfaced Sunday night saying the Bengals have interest in veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles."

Anyone know anymore to this, Maybe the internet source?

Sorry if this was posted before I didnt see it.

If its true whats your thoughts, I say if we lose T.J to the Vikes and If the "price is Right" ya know...why not

cinc4ever1
03-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I seen this as well,I don't think this is a bad idea if we can't get T.J back.

bengals23
03-02-2009, 12:31 AM

Agreed, Coles is a good receiver.

WeezyBengal
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I would rather have Lance Moore. Is he still on the free agent market?

CaptainCanada
03-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I would rather have Lance Moore. Is he still on the free agent market?

Yeah, but he's an RFA so the Saints can match any offer.

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah, but he's an RFA so the Saints can match any offer.

in other words, not happening

Meatpie
03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
in other words, not happening

Exactly...Not happening lol

ChrisLeeWorld
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
I would be happy with Coles in stripes if T.J. leaves.

Whodey777
03-02-2009, 06:31 AM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7536

it says "An internet report surfaced Sunday night saying the Bengals have interest in veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles."

Anyone know anymore to this, Maybe the internet source?

Sorry if this was posted before I didnt see it.

If its true whats your thoughts, I say if we lose T.J to the Vikes and If the "price is Right" ya know...why not

Man, I dont know why there isnt more hype on these boards about coles, I would LOVE to get coles on this team if TJ leaves, so we dont end up screwed if we have a single WR injury or if the rookies cant step up

phil413
03-02-2009, 06:39 AM
its in the john clayton thread, I agree that I'd be into it if it were at the right price. Its comes down to good timing as it seemed he were destined for Miami, and he is a step quicker and a year younger than TJ. Again, they have a lot of needs, but they may get a solid bargain here. If they could ever straighten out the line, and IF they get the Benson that showed up the last month resigned, they'd have a great offense.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I am not too familiar with LC..... but if he can provide a bit of help for the transition away from TJ and whatever will happen with Chad (his contract will be up fairly soon. I know LC won;t be around for 4-5 years likely, but he may be able to come in and be a safety net for whatever happens and maybe help the young guys a little too.

Obviously it depends on what happens with TJ... and what they may have "planned" for Chad

freeperjim
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Coles has consistently higher average YPC than TJ. In fact, TJ's has decreased every year since 2004. Unless he injured, I would much rather have Coles here - better receiver, better after catch threat and better lockerroom attitude.

Bfox12585
03-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Bengals | Frontrunner to land Coles?
Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:38:55 -0800

Pat Moran, of Scout.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are emerging as one of the top landing spots for free-agent WR Laveranues Coles (Jets). The Bengals are targeting Coles with the anticipated loss of free-agent WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals).

Tommy <3's Da Bengals
03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
He's only 5'11 though. Doesn't sound like a very Bengal-esque WR.. He did however get realeased so he wouldn't factor into the comp draft pick mix so that might intrigue Mikey Boy.

striped4war
03-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Man, I dont know why there isnt more hype on these boards about coles, I would LOVE to get coles on this team if TJ leaves, so we dont end up screwed if we have a single WR injury or if the rookies cant step up

Im with you man.I think Coles can add depth to a team that cant realy afford to lose anybody on IR.
Coles will give us the production we need at the cost that we dont need.[TJ]

JungleJay_74
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
He's only 5'11 though. Doesn't sound like a very Bengal-esque WR.. He did however get realeased so he wouldn't factor into the comp draft pick mix so that might intrigue Mikey Boy.

With our current WR corps I think he would be an excellent addition - much better value than T.J. I'd be very happy if we do this deal vs. T.J. at this point, and focus on a back and some other pieces of the puzzle as well...

Meatpie
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I payed a little attention to the Jets last year just cause i was curious on what favre was doing (dads a "Super fan" of him and i needed dirt to rub in his face..and favre didnt let me down lol) and notice LC a Little, i wouldnt mind him... So again if TJ Walks WElcome LC!!

Whatever happen thanks for changing the title....After i made it i realized maYbe i should have Just put Laveranues Coles.lol

DooDooMagoo
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
im neither for or against bringin in coles. We have other pressing needs before we need to bring in another receiver but if it happens so be it.

Jumbro
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm all for Coles as a replacement for TJ--in fact, I think it should be our choice to bring COles in and leave TJ (as opposed to bringing coles in IF we lose TJ).

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Dolphins not interested, and Coles apparently wants 6mill a yr:

REPORT: DOLPHINS NOT INTERESTED IN COLES
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 2, 2009, 10:04 a.m. EST

The Miami Dolphins aren’t interested in New York Jets free agent wide receiver Laveranues Coles, going so far as to call his agent and inform of that stance, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald and Chris Mortenson of ESPN.

Coles, who is apparently looking for $6 million per year, shouldn’t expect the Dolphins to make a run. Especially since Mortenson is reporting that the Dolphins are definitely not interested at any price.

Per Salguero, people should “applaud the team for resisting the temptation to add a 31-year-old receiver who is on the descent rather than the ascent.”

The Buffalo Bills could make sense for Coles, who asked for and received his release recently from the Jets. Now, he remains in a job-hunting mode.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/02/report-dolphins-not-interested-in-coles/

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
in the same article on the front page reporting TJ's signing, Hobson says A league source said that the Bengals have reached out to Coles but they couldn't get him into Cincinnati Monday because of the bad weather back East but he's expected Tuesday.

Bengalrocker
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I would love to have Coles here......for the right price of course.

WeezyBengal
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
What did I tell ya. Once this TJ mess was finished up, we will make moves :thumbsup:

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I would love to have Coles here......for the right price of course.

there doesn't appear to be a bidding war for him, he apparently wants $6 million a year and so far he's visited the Bills and the Dolphins balked at that price

WeezyBengal
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Look at his stats compared to TJ:

http://www.nfl.com/players/laveranuescoles/profile?id=COL366580

http://www.nfl.com/players/t.j.houshmandzadeh/profile?id=HOU337963

Very similar numbers. I would be more than happy with this signing. Coles looks like a solid possession receiver and hes gonna have a better QB than Pennington throwing to him.

Headspace
Is there a reason we drafted WRs last year?

Go after Benson/Ward before we go after a WR. I don't want to be stuck with Perry this season.

stonyhands
Just what we need...a WR that keeps to himself. Quietly holds grudges. :thumbsup:

Bengals0425
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
in the same article on the front page reporting TJ's signing, Hobson says A league source said that the Bengals have reached out to Coles but they couldn't get him into Cincinnati Monday because of the bad weather back East but he's expected Tuesday.

I don't get it. I wasn't sure TJ was worth the money he wanted, but Coles wants $6 million per season. I think that's definitely too much.

I was one of the believers that if TJ came back then Chad was out the door. I also think if Coles comes in then Chad is out the door too. Think about it...

Chad is our #1 guy and Henry is our #3 guy. We have two guys coming off their rookie seasons that will need playing time this year. If the Bengals are going to pay Coles $6 million per year, he's not going to sit out.

That means we would go another season with Caldwell and Simpson being #4 and #5 receivers... not going to happen.. If Coles is signed, the Chad will be traded to save money/make playing time for the young guys.

CoachBengal15
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Coles is a great option...if all goes well, we'll FINALLY make a big move in free agency!
C'mon Coles! Come to Cincinnati!

Bengalrocker
03-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't get it. I wasn't sure TJ was worth the money he wanted, but Coles wants $6 million per season. I think that's definitely too much.

I was one of the believers that if TJ came back then Chad was out the door. I also think if Coles comes in then Chad is out the door too. Think about it...

Chad is our #1 guy and Henry is our #3 guy. We have two guys coming off their rookie seasons that will need playing time this year. If the Bengals are going to pay Coles $6 million per year, he's not going to sit out.

That means we would go another season with Caldwell and Simpson being #4 and #5 receivers... not going to happen.. If Coles is signed, the Chad will be traded to save money/make playing time for the young guys.

You actually make a very good point. I didn't see it like that...

spazz70
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
What i like about Coles is that he can also be a downfield threat. To me TJ never posed that problem with the other teams D.

Ideally from what I have seen from Coles is that as No2 receiver he gives that threat and can move to slot like TJ and will go across the middle.

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 06:35 PM

keep an eye on the draft, for as much as everyone criticizes the team for not making offseason moves, they've made draft moves before with players demanding to leave

jonescincy
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Wrong, Caldwell and Simpson make basically nothing and Mike Brown is a big picture guy. He might be convinced to spend money on Coles for a couple years (doubtful) but you don't want Caldwell and Simpson to post decent stats year in and year out leading up to their first contract renewal. Keep them sitting for another year so the first year they do something you can extend them much cheaper because they haven't accomplished a lot and feel like they are being rewarded. Mike has a chubby for Chad for some reason, I don't see him going anywhere cause Mike wants him here.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
ONLY if LC's stock drops BIG time

We will be FINE without TJ

BengalsGM
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
offer coles a 3-4 year deal, 5 mil a year.

Bengals0425
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Wrong, Caldwell and Simpson make basically nothing and Mike Brown is a big picture guy. He might be convinced to spend money on Coles for a couple years (doubtful) but you don't want Caldwell and Simpson to post decent stats year in and year out leading up to their first contract renewal. Keep them sitting for another year so the first year they do something you can extend them much cheaper because they haven't accomplished a lot and feel like they are being rewarded. Mike has a chubby for Chad for some reason, I don't see him going anywhere cause Mike wants him here.

Are you serious? You want them to sit out again this year?

TKuhl
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
start to bash me if ya like, but i dont consider giving up TJ for Coles as making a slash in FA, I just dont get it, for 1 why go out and get another WR? we have greater needs, 2. If your going to get a WR why get a guy thats 31 years old? Hell i would rather have TJ back than Coles, At least TJ has worked with Palmer for years. this makes no sense at all. So it must be true, this is the Bengals after all. Grrrrrrrrr

jjenn300
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I would take Coles if they could also sign Derrick Ward.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
offer coles a 3-4 year deal, 5 mil a year.

I would hold off and see what happens. I think only the BIlls are sniffing around him right now.

See, where demand is. It's not like we NEED him..... we can afford to offer less and see what happens

Broken1
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I would hold off and see what happens. I think only the BIlls are sniffing around him right now.

See, where demand is. It's not like we NEED him..... we can afford to offer less and see what happens

Offer him less?

Are you serious?

That is why we never get anyone as is...

Yeah offer him less and watch him walk right on down the road...

Leaving us with Johnson, Henry, and then a whole bunch of nothing...

BengalsNut285
03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I still say we should spend money to go after Ward and then get another RB in the draft.

But the idea of Coles playing here is not a bad idea (for the right price). On the one hand, you can have chad and coles, both very prominent receivers that could do well. On the other hand, our young receivers can step in and do a good job. I think that either way, we will be fine at WR.

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
there doesn't appear to be a bidding war for him, he apparently wants $6 million a year and so far he's visited the Bills and the Dolphins balked at that price

my bad, I got my articles mixed up

he was getting paid $6 million when the Jets cut him

and this is what i saw from the Dolphins on the weekend

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel confirms that the Dolphins have interest in free agent Laveranues Coles, but only "at the right price."

The Fins have seemed a lot more intent on upgrading their offensive line and defense than skill positions to this point. They're not in the mix for any of the top receivers available. Coles is younger and might want at least what T.J. Houshmandzadeh gets. The Dolphins definitely won't pay that.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Related: Dolphins

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Offer him less?

Are you serious?

That is why we never get anyone as is...

Yeah offer him less and watch him walk right on down the road...

Leaving us with Johnson, Henry, and then a whole bunch of nothing...

Offer him more... that is why we never get ALL the players we need.

If we were going to drop 5mill we should have just kept TJ who already knows the offense and proved he could put up good numbers here.

See, that works both ways. Who cares about Coles? We don't need him... so why pay him.

Last time I checked a lot of teams do pretty well with 2 talented WR's (Johnson and Henry)

Cut the ties and go with the young guns!!!! SIMPSON and CALDWELL , we did draft them for a reason, and you are seeing why, and it was pretty smart if you ask me. Hopefully Mario and Marcus show some skills too.... more competition.

Clark W Griswold
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I do not agree with focusing on WRs. TJ's gone but trust that you drafted some good players last year. That is what Marvin and co. tell the fans so just roll with who we already have at WR.

We need to make sure we get at least one of the RBs we have been negotiating with.
Also, we need a center as badly as we need any other position on this team. Why has Birk not been mentioned with the Bengals yet? Seems like he should be our top target in FA right now.

baclaw
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Is there a reason we drafted WRs last year?

Go after Benson/Ward before we go after a WR. I don't want to be stuck with Perry this season.

No joke i dont understand the obsession with going after another reciever, we need to get Benson or Ward... Sigh we can have the best WR's in the league but it wont matter nothign if we cant run the ball or protect Palmer... IMO Oline and RB needed to be adressed being throwing away 6-10 million on another reciever which we have plenty of depth at already.

Broken1
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Offer him more... that is why we never get ALL the players we need

See, that works both ways. Who cares about Coles? We don't need him... so why pay him.

Last time I checked a lot of teams do pretty well with 2 talented WR's (Johnson and Henry)

So we have a head case and a player one step away from lifetime banishment...

as far as I am concerned, you can't count on either one of those players...

And...it's not about offering him more...it is about offering something that people would actually take.

Mike Brown doesn't do that...

Other teams in this league do...and that is why they improve, and we get nothing yearly...

TKuhl
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
No joke i dont understand the obsession with going after another reciever, we need to get Benson or Ward... Sigh we can have the best WR's in the league but it wont matter nothign if we cant run the ball or protect Palmer... IMO Oline and RB needed to be adressed being throwing away 6-10 million on another reciever which we have plenty of depth at already.

Amen!

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Agreed... we are ALL good on WR's

Only reason we give a serious look to anyone else is if we are shopping CHad

ken
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd rather have Lance Moore even though he's an RFA.

WeezyBengal
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Do you guys realize that Chris Perry is our starting running back right now? Forget Coles, we need to seriously go after a running back.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM

theyre gonna get rb, whether its benson, ward, or the draft. you have to replace tj with a proven vet, you cannot depend on the guys on this roster to step up and replace that production!:rock on: by the way, i loved the way tj played, but we need a guy who will produce AND actually show up to mini camp. we gotta stop lettin the inmates rule!

bengalricky
03-02-2009, 06:59 PM

it wont happen unless no other team wants coles , the begals wont pay what he wants. not a chance.

bengalricky
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
theyre gonna get rb, whether its benson, ward, or the draft. you have to replace tj with a proven vet, you cannot depend on the guys on this roster to step up and replace that production!:rock on: by the way, i loved the way tj played, but we need a guy who will produce AND actually show up to mini camp. we gotta stop lettin the inmates rule!

there will be no ward , he is too good and would cost too much

Bengals Mike
03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
it wont happen unless no other team wants coles , the begals wont pay what he wants. not a chance.

Buffalo had Coles visit them and he walked away with no deal, the Bengals could easily give him what they offered TJ

Whatever
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Do you guys realize that Chris Perry is our starting running back right now? Forget Coles, we need to seriously go after a running back.

Well,they're talking with Ward and Benson right now. The FO can multitask,you know?

KartRacer
03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
One question about Coles, how is his blocking on running plays downfield? Seems like that's been a knock on Ocho and TJ. Thought I'd ask. See if he's could be an improvement in that area..

Cin_City
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Personally, I don't like the fact that we're looking at Coles.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having him on the team, but to me me the fact that we're looking at WRs and have yet to have someone that's OL visit says to me one of these things

1.We don't have faith that Caldwell and Simpson can be developed into a 3rd, or worse case scenario, 2nd receiver.
2. We consider our OL to be less of an issue than WR or we have faith in the OL we have
3.Mike Brown is a tremendous idoit, way beyond the scope of what I originally conceived.

That being said, with TJ gone and Coles scheduled to visit, I pray we land at least one FA that I've heard of during the remainder of the offseason

BengalsNut285
03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Well,they're talking with Ward and Benson right now. The FO can multitask,you know?

REALLY? Judging from what our FO does every year, I'm surprised they can even handle one task! :P

BigCatFan
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM

While I'd hate to see us overpay for someone, I think you got the right idea here. I'd love to see us snag Coles/Harrison/? on a short contract, trade chad for some picks, and free up some cap space for some sorely needed help on the OL. Carson gets better protection, our running game improves, and CP has the time he needs to find the open receiver. Works for me.

Of course, just about any scenario that sends Chad out the door makes me happy. He really isn't a good influence on our young WR core and I'd like to get something for him before he walks away.

goalpost
03-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Coles would be a nice player. There are many reasons to do it. I'll just generalize
and say I'd agree with it.

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
How many games did Caldwell and Simpson play in last year? How many game were they injured? Who will we have if these to can't stay healthy enough to get on the field? I say sign Coles and let them all battle it out for the number 2 and 3 receiver spots. Competition brings out the best right?

JungleJay_74
03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
So we have a head case and a player one step away from lifetime banishment...

as far as I am concerned, you can't count on either one of those players...

And...it's not about offering him more...it is about offering something that people would actually take.

Mike Brown doesn't do that...

Other teams in this league do...and that is why they improve, and we get nothing yearly...

See, that's the whole problem here. All we have is a combined 8 games behind two question marks. Otherwise we would be fine at the receiver spot and I'd say focus all of your attention on shoring up O-line, RB, FB, QB...

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
How many games did Caldwell and Simpson play in last year? How many game were they injured? Who will we have if these to can't stay healthy enough to get on the field? I say sign Coles and let them all battle it out for the number 2 and 3 receiver spots. Competition brings out the best right?

What if TJ stayed and he got hurt.... what if Coles gets hurt.

there isn't an insurance policy for that kind of thing... it just happens

schroomytunes
03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I like the idea that we are looking at Coles as the #2 WR, he gives us another playmaker on Offense and allows us to have a very deep core of WR's till Simpson is ready. Also, Coles will not command as much $$$ as TJ on the open market, I'm guessing a 3yr 18million contract gets him in Bengal stripes. Thus allowing us to pursue a RB, FB, and C in Free Agency. If we were willing to go 7.5 on TJ, then we can land Coles! Now imagine if we signed:

1)Coles-WR----6million
2)Cedric Benson/Derrick Ward-RB----3million
3)Jake Grove-C---2.4million
4)John Kuhn-FB----800k
5)JP Losman-QB-----1million

this opens up the draft big time for us on RDs 1-3!!!!

the_only_truth
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
We better not sign Coles. Really. We need recievers that can block downfield. Let the young guys play with Chad. We need to show a little more faith in our young guys.

We need to focus on O-line or it will not matter who the **** we have at WR....remember last season?

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
What if TJ stayed and he got hurt.... what if Coles gets hurt.

there isn't an insurance policy for that kind of thing... it just happens

Its called depth.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Its called depth.

Great... we are already on the same page.

We have plenty of depth at the WR postion.

NEXT

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
We better not sign Coles. Really. We need recievers that can block downfield. Let the young guys play with Chad. We need to show a little more faith in our young guys.

We need to focus on O-line or it will not matter who the **** we have at WR....remember last season?

thought of a bengalfied fan. yeah, lets not bring in a proven, productive veteran. lets go with the unproven and chris henry. you gotta be a bengal scout!:rolleyes::huh:

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Great... we are already on the same page.

We have plenty of depth at the WR postion.

NEXT

Really???? We have a guy who is one arrest from never playing again. Chatman coming off of serious injury. Simpson had one catch and hurt most of the year. Caldwell was hurt and had one solid game. Uturia was practice squad all year. Holt is a FA. Man, that is some solid depth there. NEXT.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Really???? We have a guy who is one arrest from never playing again. Chatman coming off of serious injury. Simpson had one catch and hurt most of the year. Caldwell was hurt and had one solid game. Uturia was practice squad all year. Holt is a FA. Man, that is some solid depth there. NEXT.

Your right Coles fixes it all... after all he is one player to add to the guys you mentioned......

HILARIOUS

one guy fixes it! hahaha

and a 30 year old guy at that.... haha

You say Holt is a free agent, but what is the difference with Coles... so is he.

Maybe had you said Brandon Lloyd I would stop laughing, but you didn't! hahahaa

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM

coudnt have said it better!

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Your right Coles fixes it all... after all he is one player to add to the guys you mentioned......

HILARIOUS

one guy fixes it! hahaha

dude, coles is a proven commodity! what dont you get? this must be chris henry's agent!

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM

HILARIOUS

one guy fixes it! hahaha

You say Holt is a free agent, but what is the difference with Coles... so is he.

Are you feeling ok? Brandon Lloyd? What the hell does he bring to the table? Holt was a Bengal last season, thus more need for another receiver since he's no longer on the roster.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
dude, coles is a proven commodity! what dont you get? this must be chris henry's agent!

Don't think I ever said he wasn't.... but he could get hurt just like the other guys.

It's pretty simple if you follow along, but from past experience I know you don't seem to read "all" of a post. it's cool, I will repeat it a few times within this thread I am sure

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Are you feeling ok? Brandon Lloyd? What the hell does he bring to the table? Holt was a Bengal last season, thus more need for another receiver since he's no longer on the roster.

Coles isn't on the roster either, but you want him.......

What aren't you understand with this. I will explain it to you and UB

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Don't think I ever said he wasn't.... but he could get hurt just like the other guys.

It's pretty simple if you follow along, but from past experience I know you don't seem to read "all" of a post. it's cool, I will repeat it a few times within this thread I am sure

anyone can get hurt, so what? and no, i cant read it all when i see nonsense like this.

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Ok, lets just go with what we got then. A thug, 2 hurt rookies, and a practice squadder. BRILLIANT!:thumbsup:
Or do you wanna go ahead and trade Chad too?

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
anyone can get hurt, so what? and no, i cant read it all when i see nonsense like this.

That was one of the ONLY reasons given early in this post to get Coles... so therefore VERY pertinent to the conversation

It's cool... i can tell you don't read it all. It just makes you seem like you are missing the conversation.... cuz you kind of are

Ok, lets just go with what we got then. A thug, 2 hurt rookies, and a practice squadder. BRILLIANT!:thumbsup:
Or do you wanna go ahead and trade Chad too?

honesty, I do what Chad gone, and in that case.... I would agree that we need a seasoned vet to come in and would likely look more at Coles, but as for now... Lloyd would be as far as I go.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

guess we dont get it hoosier!:what:

BengalStripes18
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
My main concern with Coles is his injury past and his age. I think TJ has more years left in him. Coles is a good receiver, but I'm not sure if we even need him anyway.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a 2-3 year deal for around 5 mil per year. Our receiving core would be pretty well stacked.

Like I said though, I don't think WR should be a top concern. We need to get Benson signed, a fullback signed, another halfback, and a backup QB first.

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
That was one of the ONLY reasons given early in this post to get Coles

It's cool... i can tell you don't read it all. It just makes you seem like you are missing the conversation.... cuz you kind of are

And NO, injury is not the ONLY reason. He's a proven vet who can still play. He's not an unproven commodity like 3/5ths of our receiving core.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM

That is obvious... you didn't even know when/why injuries were brought into the conversation.

You may wanna go back and read the thread instead of picking out random posts... it really does help

Hoosier "gets" it, we just see things slightly different is all

My main concern with Coles is his injury past and his age. I think TJ has more years left in him. Coles is a good receiver, but I'm not sure if we even need him anyway.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a 2-3 year deal for around 5 mil per year. Our receiving core would be pretty well stacked.

Like I said though, I don't think WR should be a top concern. We need to get Benson signed, a fullback signed, another halfback, and a backup QB first.

agreed

And NO, injury is not the ONLY reason. He's a proven vet who can still play. He's not an unproven commodity like 3/5ths of our receiving core.

I actually agree for the most part.. I just don't fel that for TJ leaving we NEED a replacement like Coles right away.... especially since he wants 6mill a year

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM

That costume must be eating his brain.

CAP-BENGAL
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Agreed, Coles is a good receiver.

Coles is a great receiver who never had the pefect fit of a QB, Farve included. And Pennington was too on and off. He could never get it to him downfield. I'm all for Coles. He's a tough receiver.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
That costume must be eating his brain.

Easy now... I am not sure insults are the way to go yet

Broken1
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Easy now... I am not sure insults are the way to go yet

It's getting there...:lol:

I can't believe you would be comfortable with the receiving corps we have right now going into the season...

We would not be in good shape...

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM

I can't believe you would be comfortable with the receiving corps we have right now going into the season...

I can't believe you and the others are ok with giving Coles 5 mill a year.

We should have kept TJ if that was the plan

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM

you did say this, right? so if we dont need a guy like coles, then youre saying this team will be ok with what we have.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
you did say this, right? so if we dont need a guy like coles, then youre saying this team will be ok with what we have.

Yes...

what is it that you aren't understanding......

I have said that many times

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I actually agree for the most part.. I just don't fel that for TJ leaving we NEED a replacement like Coles right away.... especially since he wants 6mill a year

Then why do they, marvin and co, keep saying WR is a need in FA? They obviously aren't comfortable with relying on Henry and the rooks, as nobody should be. I'm not even sure Henry is a #2. No insult intended, just a thought.

BengalStripes18
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM

How many teams have two #1 receivers, let alone one? We have a proven #1 receiver and some young guys with a lot of upside. Oh, and we have Henry too, don't count him out quite yet..

How many teams have a franchise QB like Palmer? Few. Our passing game should be fine as long as we improve up front, sign Benson, a good FB, and another RB.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Then why do they, marvin and co, keep saying WR is a need in FA? They obviously aren't comfortable with relying on Henry and the rooks, as nobody should be. I'm not even sure Henry is a #2. No insult intended, just a thought.

Personally, I think they are shopping Chad and that is why Marv and Co. say that WR is a need

Again.. I am not opposed to bringing in "someone", although I do not think it is a need and I would be ok with who we have..... as I said before also I do not really want Coles for what he is asking (6mill).

It really depends on Holt and Chatman in my opinion. Holt is decent enough to pick up slack if Caldwell and JS really can;t come along or stay healthy. Chatman is as well... although he does get hurt a lot

How many teams have two #1 receivers, let alone one? We have a proven #1 receiver and some young guys with a lot of upside. Oh, and we have Henry too, don't count him out quite yet..

How many teams have a franchise QB like Palmer? Few. Our passing game should be fine as long as we improve up front, sign Benson, a good FB, and another RB.

agreed

Broken1
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM

A proven #1 who has said many times over he doesn't want to be here...coming off his worst season since his rookie year.

Henry, who is one late night away from a life time ban

and

Caldwell and Simpson who have like, what, 12 catches combined...

Glowing endorsment...

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes...

with every post, you give me a bigger migrane;). when you say we shouldve kept tj, hell, they offered him 4 yrs-28m, what more did ya want em to do. if we sign coles at around 5 a year, then we've saved 2m and have a guy who wants to be here! what dont you get about that?

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
with every post, you give me a bigger migrane;). when you say we shouldve kept tj, hell, they offered him 4 yrs-28m, what more did ya want em to do. if we sign coles at around 5 a year, then we've saved 2m and have a guy who wants to be here! what dont you get about that?

I get it 100%... you aren't listening.

I think it's too much for Coles... and in my plan we save ALL TJ's money and can spend it on more important needs

I didn't want TJ back for what we offered either. I NEVER SAID WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT TJ. You need to read. I said if we sign Coles at 6mill... we should have kept TJ. It's not hard to put 1 and 2 together and see what I am saying. Stop reading so fast and comprehend. We can disagree that is fine, but if you don't even understand the point, it is a constant circle

YOU DON'T get it.... WR and especially the #2 WR spot is NOT worth that amount of money.

It is so simple

A proven #1 who has said many times over he doesn't want to be here...coming off his worst season since his rookie year.

This is one area I am a little concerned..... but Chad is the #1 guy and I doubt that changes. He will be in a contract year soon and will be looking for a pay day... so hopefully he brings it

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes...

you sound more and more like mike. 5m is not too much for a proven, veteran wr who can start and produce right away. it would be a much wiser investment that odom was last year! if we are gonna get to the next level, you gonna have to pay for proven talent!

Broken1
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
you sound more and more like mike. 5m is not too much for a proven, veteran wr who can start and produce right away. it would be a much wiser investment that odom was last year! if we are gonna get to the next level, you gonna have to pay for proven talent!

Exactly...

BengalStripes18
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Henry, who is one late night away from a life time ban

and

Caldwell and Simpson who have like, what, 12 catches combined...

Glowing endorsment...

Henry has been behaving for quite some time now, and his last suspension was for something he wasn't guilty of. He has great chemistry with his teammates. He is a good locker room guy. He has amazing attributes; and he has Carson Palmer.

Chad had a bad year because of a horrible oline (the most important part of an offense) and because Palmer was injured the majority of the year.

Caldwell looked good in limited action. Jerome is a project WR, why does everyone expect him to produce right away? The bottom line is neither receiver saw much time last year because we had Chad and Housh.

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, Chatman is always hurt and Holt can't hold onto the ball. Two more unproven receivers. If they are shopping Chad with TJ gone, yikes. Good luck Carson. They better sign Coles and pull off a trade for Bolden or somebody.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Exactly...

Much, much, MUCH more important to protect carson and give him time to throw.

You keep saying 5mill, but unless Coles takes that you are talking out of your rear. Reports have him wanting 6mill.

We have plenty of WR's, 3-4 with plenty of experience (Chad, Henry, Holt, Chatman). Adress other spots and then look for a WR.

Yes, Chatman is always hurt and Holt can't hold onto the ball. Two more unproven receivers. If they are shopping Chad with TJ gone, yikes. Good luck Carson. They better sign Coles and pull off a trade for Bolden or somebody.

and now we are getting to the actual details and problems. is that starting line-up perfect (Chad, Henry, Caldwell/Simpson/Holt/Chatman).... no. is it good enough..... yes

Like I said above.... fix some other spots then go WR. Don't jump at Coles for 6mill (or close) just because we JUST lost TJ

1whodeybrew
03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Absolutely if your willing to pay Coles 6 mil then go the extra step and keep TJ.

TJ isn't worth what he got, Coles surely isn't worth bringing here with what we already have in place. Keep the money for now because there could be trades on draft day or before.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Absolutely if your willing to pay Coles 6 mil then go the extra step and keep TJ.

TJ isn't worth what he got, Coles surely isn't worth bringing here with what we already have in place. Keep the money for now because there could be trades on draft day or before.

agreed... I am not sure how that is so hard to understand

See, and 1wdb and I NEVER agree.

haha

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Henry has been behaving for quite some time now, and his last suspension was for something he wasn't guilty of. He has great chemistry with his teammates. He is a good locker room guy. He has amazing attributes; and he has Carson Palmer.

Chad had a bad year because of a horrible oline (the most important part of an offense) and because Palmer was injured the majority of the year.

Caldwell looked good in limited action. Jerome is a project WR, why does everyone expect him to produce right away? The bottom line is neither receiver saw much time last year because we had Chad and Housh.

your depending on alot of ifs. if chad is happy, if henry doesnt get arrested again, if caldwell and simpson progress. i wish we would stop relting on ifs.

Broken1
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM

1) It doesn't matter why Henry got in trouble last time, or that he has been behaving himself for the better part of a year. Yes ONE YEAR. He is still one screw up away...and he's already messed up enough to not be able to be counted upon...he's an added bonus...

2) Chad was bad because he was whiny, not ready to play the season, and got hurt in preseason. T.J. still got it done, so for carson's injury to be Chad's downfall is a cop out...

3) Simpson is expected to produce because he was a 2nd round pick...you are one of the 50 best players in a draft...you better do something...it's not like he was a 7th round project. This team wasn't in good enough shape to take a project in the 2nd round. And if they knew he was a project going into it, instead of him just being a bad pick, then that is even worse on Cincinnati's part...

Broken1
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM

You keep saying 5mill, but unless Coles takes that you are talking out of your rear. Reports have him wanting 6mill.

We have plenty of WR's, 3-4 with plenty of experience (Chad, Henry, Holt, Chatman). Adress other spots and then look for a WR.

and now we are getting to the actual details and problems. is that starting line-up perfect (Chad, Henry, Caldwell/Simpson/Holt/Chatman).... no. is it good enough..... yes

Like I said above.... fix some other spots then go WR. Don't jump at Coles for 6mill (or close) just because we JUST lost TJ

I didn't say anything about 5 million a year...

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM

What do we have in place? That is my point.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM

you cant count on henry, if theres one thing hes proven, thats it. chatmans always hurt. holt is a free agent. the youngs guys need to develop. when the receiving struggles, you'll be the first one on here saying we sholdve signed coles!:rock on:

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM

You may not like "who", but we do have depth and talent at WR

when the receiving struggles, you'll be the first one on here saying we sholdve signed coles!:rock on:

One more thing you are DEAD wrong about and simply grabbing at straws.....

Funny thing is now we are back to Coles being the "one guy" to "fix" us..... you say Chatman gets hurt and Holt is a free agent, henry may get arrested...... Well, I hate to break it to you, but if Coles gets hurt, we are back to square one.... and he still wants 6 mill a year, and is still an AGING receiver

I like Brandon Llyod for cheap over Coles at this point

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
your depending on alot of ifs. if chad is happy, if henry doesnt get arrested again, if caldwell and simpson progress. i wish we would stop relting on ifs.

If ifs and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas! And 4 all pro receivers too I guess.

tedies
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
TJ is gone, I think we could all see he wanted a new place to play... i have actually been watching Coles for a number of years now as he has always found a way to sneak on my fantasy teams. He is a pretty tough guy, plays hurt. makes plays, makes end zone plays. I say if he wants to come here, let him

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
You may not like "who", but we do have depth and talent at WR

One more thing you are DEAD wrong about and simply grabbing at straws.....

Funny thing is now we are back to Coles being the "one guy" to "fix" us..... you say Chatman gets hurt and Holt is a free agent, henry may get arrested...... Well, I hate to break it to you, but if Coles gets hurt, we are back to square one.... and he still wants 6 mill a year, and is still an AGING receiver

I like Brandon Llyod for cheap over Coles at this point

your honestly gonna say the tandem of chad and coles doesnt have a chance to be more successful than chad and henry/chatman/caldwell. it's time to show your football IQ!

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
your honestly gonna say the tandem of chad and coles doesnt have a chance to be more successful than chad and henry/chatman/caldwell. it's time to show your football IQ!

What part of this aren't you understanding. I have not said ONCE that I don't like Coles or think he isn;t a good player. I DO NOT WANT HIM OR ANY OTHER WR for that kind of money (6mill). i am saying that WR is not a NEED of this team right now! This isn't hard to follow.... please pay closer attention, please

It's funny though how now YOU are working with "ifs". IF Coles will sign here, if Coles can still bring it, if Coles can beat out the other WR's on this team...... weird

Hoosier Who Dey
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't think Coles is necessarily the one guy that fixes everything, but he would be a good fit here lining up opposite Chad. I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd gets around the same money as Coles wherever he signs.

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think Coles is necessarily the one guy that fixes everything, but he would be a good fit here lining up opposite Chad. I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd gets around the same money as Coles wherever he signs.

Here we go.... alright

I agree, Coles would be a good player for this team...... so was TJ.

If Lloyd wants that, then he is off my list too. Honestly i haven;t heard what he is asking.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
What part of this aren't you understanding. I have not said ONCE that I don't like Coles or think he isn;t a good player. I DO NOT WANT HIM OR ANY OTHER WR for that kind of money (6mill). i am saying that WR is not a NEED of this team right now! This isn't hard to follow.... please pay closer attention, please

It's funny though how now YOU are working with "ifs". IF Coles will sign here, if Coles can still bring it, if Coles can beat out the other WR's on this team...... weird

if coles can beat out the other receivers, he'd be the starter form day 1. the bottom line is, if your not willing to spend money on quality players at positions of need, then youre never gonna be a super bowl team. i know you are saying wr isnt a need, hopefully the front office doesnt agree with you.

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Here we go.... alright

I agree, Coles would be a good player for this team...... so was TJ.

If Lloyd wants that, then he is off my list too. Honestly i haven;t heard what he is asking.

So 2 years at 12 million for Coles is too rich for your blood?

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
if coles can beat out the other receivers, he'd be the starter form day 1. the bottom line is, if your not willing to spend money on quality players at positions of need, then youre never gonna be a super bowl team. i know you are saying wr isnt a need, hopefully the front office doesnt agree with you.

Would you say Carson is a need for this team?

Who is our STARTING RB? Who is our backup RB?

those are our ACTUAL needs... protecting Carson and signing a RB of some kind.

So 2 years at 12 million for Coles is too rich for your blood?

Yes, for our level of need at that position (in my opinion).

now, a lower year deal like that is entertaining, but I am not sure LC would go for it...... again more "ifs". Until I see he is interested in that kind of deal, I don't really consider it an option

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Would you say Carson is a need for this team?

Who is our STARTING RB? Who is our backup RB?

those are our ACTUAL needs... protecting Carson and signing a RB of some kind.

part of protecting palmer is giving him legit weapons. you can find a RB in the draft if you have to. i'll betcha palmer wouldn't have any problem with signing coles. he know that tj leaving would create a huge hole, thats why he lobbied to resign tj.;)

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
part of protecting palmer is giving him legit weapons. you can find a RB in the draft if you have to. i'll betcha palmer wouldn't have any problem with signing coles. he know that tj leaving would create a huge hole, thats why he lobbied to resign tj.;)

I thought rookies weren't reliable.... or is that ONLY in the #3 WR position.

Your idealogy fails epically here. Right now we don't have a starting RB, but a plethora of guys at WR who aren't even rookies anymore. Caldwell and Simpson may not have seen a lot of time on the field, but they were at practices... etc

I would take Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, Holt, Chatman, and the other young guns over Perry, Watson, and Dorsey. = RB is a bigger need right now (also helpful in protecting Carson... the RB's missed a LOT of assignments last year)

CEDRIC BENSON: “I LIKE BEING IN TEXAS”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 2, 2009, 9:00 p.m. EST

The Houston Texans have a good chance of signing Cincinnati Bengals free agent running back Cedric Benson, judging by the Texas native’s comments to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

“I like being in Texas and Houston’s close to home,” Benson told the Chronicle. ”I think the possibility is good (about signing with the Texans), but there’s always a business side to everything.”

Benson is a former University of Texas star who lives in Austin.

After being cut last year by the Chicago Bears, who drafted him fourth overall in 2005, Benson rushed for 747 yards last season in Cincinnati.

The Bengals are offering Benson a chance to start and have made financial overtures to him since he became an unrestricted free agent last week. In Houston, Benson’s role would be to back up speedy runner Steve Slaton.

“The business side here might be better than the business side in Cincinnati,” Benson said when asked why he preferred the Texans. “Also, there’s the Super Bowl. I had an opportunity to go to one (with Chicago), and I’d like to go back and win.”

Benson, who has a history of off-field problems that have since been resolved, insisted that his problem-child days are over.

“I have matured a little more,” he said. “A young man changes after he turns 21.”

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Your idealogy fails epically here. Right now we don't have a starting RB, but a plethora of guys at WR who aren't even rookies anymore. Caldwell and Simpson may not have seen a lot of time on the field, but they were at practices... etc

I just can't get over that comment...

I made it my sig...that is rough right there...a slap like that will definitely keep him from wearing stripes again...

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM

steve slaten, matt forte, chris johnson! rookie RBs have always been more successful at starting and making an impact in there first year. you already knew this, right? youre reasoning is beyond belief!

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I just can't get over that comment...

I made it my sig...that is rough right there...a slap like that will definitely keep him from wearing stripes again...

hahaha.... I hated to provide it too you, but it helped prove my point. We need a proven back.... ESPECIALLY with our luck in getting a RB in the draft..... surely UB realizes this

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
hahaha.... I hated to provide it too you, but it helped prove my point. We need a proven back.... ESPECIALLY with our luck in getting a RB in the draft..... surely UB realizes this

No, I seen it on Profootballtalk about 5 minutes before you posted it...

someone came in with a Benson update thread...

that is some seriously cold stuff though...

They are all just laughing at Cincinnati...

it *****...

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
steve slaten, matt forte, chris johnson! rookie RBs have always been more successful at starting and making an impact in there first year. you already knew this, right? youre reasoning is beyond belief!

Ka-Jani Carter, Kenny Irons (and those guys were on OUR team)

More proof we need to fix the line and keep or QB and running backs from getting killed

If you listened to my FULL argument, i mentioned that we have depth (not rookie depth) at WR...... and you obviously know our history with running backs in the draft, right?

and again... you are basig an AWFUL lot on IF's!!!!!! What if our RB gets hurt or doesn't play well. Who steps up....

Where as... if Simpson, Caldwell, or whoever don't play well..... we still have Chad and Henry. Seems easy enough to figure out where the need is

No, I seen it on Profootballtalk about 5 minutes before you posted it...

someone came in with a Benson update thread...

that is some seriously cold stuff though...

They are all just laughing at Cincinnati...

it *****...

agreed

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM

uh, we got corey dillon in the second, rudi in the 4th, ickey in the 2nd. not too shabby!

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
uh, we got corey dillon in the second, rudi in the 4th, ickey in the 2nd. not too shabby!

How did they do as rookies..... and who were they running behind in the line and to "learn" from at RB?

Granted I think CD played pretty well

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
You guys can argue all night long, but RB and tackle are the biggest needs of this team...

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
How did they do as rookies..... and who were they running behind in the line and to "learn" from at RB?

dillon...1,129 yds
woods...1,066 yds
johnson didnt need to start, we had corey;)

1whodeybrew
03-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Chad that's known to be one of the best WR's.

Henry who has been living with Carson this offseason. You say you can't trust Henry but Henry is on this roster and until he's not on this roster I will count on him. I believe he has something to prove not only to you (the fan) but himself.

If Chad and Henry are 1-2 that gives you Caldwell to be 3rd/slot reciever and return man.

This gives Simpson a chance to get some plays in behind Henry but atleast he's getting time.

You get Coles all your doing is keeping these guys down to where they can't prove themselves. Just keep pushing them back.

Urrutia could also be a very good player. He's huge and a big red zone threat.

You have Chad and Henry both proven to make plays. You have young recievers behind them and working Caldwell in the slot. This is when you break these players in, not keep shoving them to the back row.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
You guys can argue all night long, but RB and tackle are the biggest needs of this team...

rb is a need, but one u can address in the draft if need be. a # of goods backs in this crop!

The Bengal Thing
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM

AGREED!!!!!!

dillon...1,129 yds
woods...1,066 yds
johnson didnt need to start, we had corey;)

Not terrible......

as Broken stated though.... we don't even have a starting running back for Johnson not to need to start

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
rb is a need, but one u can address in the draft if need be. a # of goods backs in this crop!

That is just not true...

I don't think there are more than 4 starting worthy backs in this draft...

and more over...

you are totally going against your own points with this...

if we can replace a RB with an unproven player...why can't we do the same at the WR position?

Just playing a little devils advocate...:lol:

Hammerstripes
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Center is still the #1 need on this team.

ultimatebengal
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
AGREED!!!!!!

Not terrible......

as Broken stated though.... we don't even have a starting running back for Johnson not to need to start

bengalthing, this has been a blast. we could do this all night, but i gotta be up by five. my thing is that its fine to disagree and have different opinions, but when it's done, have respect and agree to disagree. we all want the same thing, just different thoughts on how to get there. so, much respect bengalthing. maybe next time we'll agree. UB out!

Broken1
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Center is still the #1 need on this team.

More pressing than RB?

Maybe...

good call...

I forgot all about center when haggling over RB, tackle, and WR...

Shady
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Chad that's known to be one of the best WR's.

Henry who has been living with Carson this offseason. You say you can't trust Henry but Henry is on this roster and until he's not on this roster I will count on him. I believe he has something to prove not only to you (the fan) but himself.

If Chad and Henry are 1-2 that gives you Caldwell to be 3rd/slot reciever and return man.

This gives Simpson a chance to get some plays in behind Henry but atleast he's getting time.

You get Coles all your doing is keeping these guys down to where they can't prove themselves. Just keep pushing them back.

Urrutia could also be a very good player. He's huge and a big red zone threat.

You have Chad and Henry both proven to make plays. You have young recievers behind them and working Caldwell in the slot. This is when you break these players in, not keep shoving them to the back row.

I agree with this. Our WRs are OK. Not great, as far as we know right now, but OK. Good enough. Coles might not hurt, but I don't like the message it sends to the youngsters.

bruce
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I dont understand how this is better. Coles is going to want just a little less than TJ. Why not pay a little more for the better receiver. We had plenty of money and TJ knows the system and is the better WR.

I just dont get it, it makes no sence. Mike Brown is p!ssing over a million here a million there??????

I wanna win this is BS

Bfox12585
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Why start a new thread?

Broken1
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
There is a thread about 2 slots :thumbsdown: that way...

why not just put it there?

epacalypse03
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
But we have almost 60 million in cap space now aren't you happy..we are winning at something:cry:

hacker
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
This is typical Mike Brown, there is nothing new taking place here. I wish every player on this team would start acting like Chad. We get po'ed at guys like Chad for running their mouths but in the end, we know, they are right. The Takeo's, Dillons, Pickens and Chads. If you don't want to see your entire career wasted away here, you have to do whatever is necessary to get out, even if it means acting like an A-hole

Bfox12585
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
But we have almost 60 million in cap space now aren't you happy..we are winning at something:cry:

How do we have 60million in cap space??? are you drunk:drunk2:

r3stangs
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree with this. Our WRs are OK. Not great, as far as we know right now, but OK. Good enough. Coles might not hurt, but I don't like the message it sends to the youngsters.

I gotta go along with this. Why are we chasing more expensive WR's? We have a small army of them and its sink or swim time. There are too many other glaring needs to address that you have to bank on getting some production from the guys we have.

WHO_DEY_51
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM

Cardinals didnt seem to have a problem with 3 number 1 recievers. Reciever over 1000 yards is a number 1 reciever in my book.

LC will be a great addition. If the FO can fix the needs and still have LC, then we got a bonus player.

The way to oppose the 3-4 defense is to run 3 and 4 wide. It removes one or two LB(s). That removes one of the OLBs.

I still think we should go with the Jurassic line with Williams at C. We would be able to get maximum potection for CP.

If we pick up Goff, we can draft a potential C in the 3rd. Draft the Oregon T 4th.

The line would be: Collins/L. Jones(cut if not starter before start of season), 3rd round C/Collins, Williams, Goff, and Whitworth.
Backups: Cooks/Livings, Santucci, Oregon T, and Kooistra.

This all changes if the bengals like Santucci, Cook, or Caldwell at C.

I still think we should sign Goff. If we go 3 to 4 wide we have no need for a FB. Utecht/Kelly can play as the H-Back. This is the type of offense the Colts use. Benson/Ward is more suitable for this offense.

Cardinals LT was worse than L. Jones last year.

Is LC a punt returner? If so, would be a great upgrade.

Whatever
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I dont understand how this is better. Coles is going to want just a little less than TJ. Why not pay a little more for the better receiver. We had plenty of money and TJ knows the system and is the better WR.

I just dont get it, it makes no sence. Mike Brown is p!ssing over a million here a million there??????

I wanna win this is BS

Well,Coles is arguably the better of the two receivers. Their #'s are pretty comparable except that Coles has a better ypc average and almost 2,300 more yards in only one more year than TJ. He also is more of deep threat than TJ is,but also runs the dirty underneath stuff.

Seattle paid $8 mill/year for TJ. IF the Bengals cave to Coles' $6 million asking price(which I doubt),then they save about $2 million.

tenacious-B
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
That is just not true...

I don't think there are more than 4 starting worthy backs in this draft...

and more over...

you are totally going against your own points with this...

if we can replace a RB with an unproven player...why can't we do the same at the WR position?

Just playing a little devils advocate...:lol:

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the year. Last years draft, which was a RB gold mine, is going to skew people into thinking RBs just grow on trees. This draft is super weak compared to last years where RBs are concerned. We need to sign a veteran like Benson, or Ward (too bad) and then pick up the best available back that's still around in the 3rd.

We can't count on drafting one and just hoping he ends up playing like Slaton or Forte...man, I hope that isn't Mikey-boy's plan.

tenacious-B
03-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Well,Coles is arguably the better of the two receivers. Their #'s are pretty comparable except that Coles has a better ypc average and almost 2,300 more yards in only one more year than TJ. He also is more of deep threat than TJ is,but also runs the dirty underneath stuff.

Seattle paid $8 mill/year for TJ. IF the Bengals cave to Coles' $6 million asking price(which I doubt),then they save about $2 million.

Coles does have one thing TJ never had and never will have and that's speed. Coles alongside Chad could be lethal.

DooDooMagoo
03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the year. Last years draft, which was a RB gold mine, is going to skew people into thinking RBs just grow on trees. This draft is super weak compared to last years where RBs are concerned. We need to sign a veteran like Benson, or Ward (too bad) and then pick up the best available back that's still around in the 3rd.

We can't count on drafting one and just hoping he ends up playing like Slaton or Forte...man, I hope that isn't Mikey-boy's plan.

Ill agree we would be taking a major risk drafting a running back and hoping he turns out to be our starter in his first season but I wouldnt go as far to say this class is super weak compared to last seasons. There are quite a few skilled running backs in this draft. There are quite a few solid running backs in this draft class. There are going to be guys like james davis and glen coffee available in the later rounds who are solid backs. But yes i agree with you, we cant bank on finding our starter in this draft class unless we are picking a guy in the 2nd round..

Norm
03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
According to PFT he walked away from a 6 million/year offer from the Jets. It disturbs me to think we'll pay Coles 7 million a year but wouldnt give TJ 8 million.

jmuncy
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
According to PFT he walked away from a 6 million/year offer from the Jets. It disturbs me to think we'll pay Coles 7 million a year but wouldnt give TJ 8 million.

I feel the exact same way.

hacker
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM
"Thus allowing us to pursue a RB, FB, and C in Free Agency"

This statement makes too much sense. It ain't gonna happen. Mike Brown builds or should I say he think he builds through the draft. We are not going to fill more than 1 hole on the line if we are lucky. He is definitely not going to bring 2 or 3 offensive linemen in here during free agency. As usual, this is a lost year in free agency.

LebanonFan
03-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Agreed, 100%. If we knew there was a possibility of TJ walking (which we did), our contingency plan for that money should be spread out over the offense (i.e. one big lineman or several players...backup QB, FB, RB)

The last thing we need now is to try to overpay another WR. Who are we, the Lions? I thought we were undergoing a offensive overhaul. Who says we need another WR? This does not bode well for our draft picks, either. Let Coles get his 6 mil somewhere else. We have more important issues pressing.

ODRAB14
03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Agreed, 100%. If we knew there was a possibility of TJ walking (which we did), our contingency plan for that money should be spread out over the offense (i.e. one big lineman or several players...backup QB, FB, RB)

The last thing we need now is to try to overpay another WR. Who are we, the Lions? I thought we were undergoing a offensive overhaul. Who says we need another WR? This does not bode well for our draft picks, either. Let Coles get his 6 mil somewhere else. We have more important issues pressing.

I 100% agree. The problem with the Bengals is they overreact to situations. Justin SMith leaves and they jump on Odom after 1 good season. They're slim at safety and they jump on dexter jackson. Most of the time your best free agent signings are not the big ones. Why pay Coles this kind of money. Marvin said we are changing philosophy so stick to your guns MArvin. Build the line, bring in a center. Carson will be alot happier to be on his feet than to have a guy like Coles. Palmer with time can make anyone look good. Just because TJ left doesnt mean we need to jump on a WR. I think now they need to focus on Benson. He has realized they're isn't much of a market for him. I would give him 2 years at million per with incentives. Take care of your own and then spend on the outside

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM

I feel the exact same way.

Exactly what I am saying... I like Coles and all, but the ideolgy doesn't make since to let TJ go..... but sign a guy VERY similar for similar money

Diehardbengalfan
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
would Laveranues Coles be a good fit for the bengals? I know he's only visiting like they all do, but just in case the bengals should sign him.

Does he take TJ's spot? is he a slot receiver?

I know he was fast coming out of college @ 4.22, has he lost much of that speed?

Does he return punts or kickoffs?

Do you think he can be better or worst than TJ in the bengals system?

HearUsRoar
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
The main reason I wouldn't be upset with Coles is because it would all but guarantee we don't waste a 1st round pick on Crabtree or Maclin.

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
The main reason I wouldn't be upset with Coles is because it would all but guarantee we don't waste a 1st round pick on Crabtree or Maclin.

hahaha.....

I feel ya on that

Housh
03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Did you literally start this thread with "No one is talking about coles" when theres 1000 coles threads in the FA board?

Carson4mvp
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
No one is talking about Laveranues Coles. I know he's only visiting like they all do, but just in case the bengals should sign him how does he fit with the bengals?

I know he was fast coming out of college @ 4.22, has he lost much of that speed?

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=41125

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=41304

There is a couple Laveranues Coles threads.

LEATHER FACE
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Anybody who can catch, could replace TJ.

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
No one is talking about Laveranues Coles. I know he's only visiting like they all do, but just in case the bengals should sign him how does he fit with the bengals?

I am talking about him a LOT

How much I do NOT want him (with exceptions of course)

WeezyBengal
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Is there any updates on Coles? Last I heard he was visiting today to talk contract with the Bengals.

Siete Uno Uno
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
1) It doesn't matter why Henry got in trouble last time, or that he has been behaving himself for the better part of a year. Yes ONE YEAR. He is still one screw up away...and he's already messed up enough to not be able to be counted upon...he's an added bonus...

2) Chad was bad because he was whiny, not ready to play the season, and got hurt in preseason. T.J. still got it done, so for carson's injury to be Chad's downfall is a cop out...

3) Simpson is expected to produce because he was a 2nd round pick...you are one of the 50 best players in a draft...you better do something...it's not like he was a 7th round project. This team wasn't in good enough shape to take a project in the 2nd round. And if they knew he was a project going into it, instead of him just being a bad pick, then that is even worse on Cincinnati's part...

I have to disagree. Chad was bad because the Bengals knew the situation with TJ and wanted to boost TJ's stats just for a decent trade. It was plenty of times where Chad was blatantly open but Fitzpatrick threw the ball to TJ. You can remember in an interview when Chad kept referring to upsetting the Monster. The Monster he upset was the Bengals organization and they made him have a bad year so nobody would show interest in him for bad mouthing the organization. Now as a result, Chad will be on his best behavior. Why else don't you think other players have spoken out about the problems they just make subtle hints?

Also, we don't need to make this move for Coles. If Carson doesn't have a decent line, whoever the receivers are they won't get the ball. Chris Henry (who most people on this board don't care for) has alot of talent and is working with Carson in Cali. Andre Caldwell can get it together by training camp. We need to have a balanced team in order to be a serious contender. We need to focus on another back (since) benson just signed, ol, defense, and a back up quarterback.

j_mo_77
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
If Laverneous(spelling?) Coles walked away from $6 mil that the Jets offered him, don't you think he's going to be looking for a T.J. like deal? That's what I'm thinking. And great job on resigning Benson.

IndianaJones
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Either that or he wasn't happy at all when Pennington was released. Maybe he just wanted to get the heck away from the jets.

The Jungler
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
From what I've heard on ESPN today it appears that Coles wanted out, which is why he walked away from the money. I'm hesitant to believe that it can be 'more than about the money' with players, but it's possible. Mark Clayton on ESPN just said that Coles is trying to reach a deal with the Bengals, as early as today.

krosseyed
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Either that or he wasn't happy at all when Pennington was released. Maybe he just wanted to get the heck away from the jets.

Not to mention with a new coach and a new system and a new QB he just wanted to get out of dodge,

jmuncy
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM

It was stated last year that Coles and Pennington were very close, and Coles took his release pretty hard.

Bad blood doesn't equal a conducive situation.

t3r3e3
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Not for 6mill/ year. Coles ain't worth that much.

j_mo_77
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
that could be it... but i dont see us nabbing Coles. And if he DOES want a T.J. like deal, and we give it to him instead of resigning T.J., i will not be happy.

jmuncy
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
that could be it... but i dont see us nabbing Coles. And if he DOES want a T.J. like deal, and we give it to him instead of resigning T.J., i will not be happy.

I think TJ just really wanted to be on the West coast... the geographical location played a huge role in his choice, in my opinion.

(sorry to say this in a Coles thread)

CAP-BENGAL
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
From what I've heard on ESPN today it appears that Coles wanted out, which is why he walked away from the money. I'm hesitant to believe that it can be 'more than about the money' with players, but it's possible. Mark Clayton on ESPN just said that Coles is trying to reach a deal with the Bengals, as early as today.

Look at the Jets QB situation..... Sketchy.... Don't blame him wanting to work with Carson and the system. Get it done!

Edge
03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
ESPN.com is mentioning Coles has left Cincy. No contract. This doesn't mean anything yet, but it appears we didn't throw a stink-load of money at him to sign right away.

pledgi
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Coles would be a great signing for the Bengals if we could get him for $6million or thereabouts. He's three months younger and faster than TJ. Also remember that Coles put up similar numbers playing with Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, and a laundry list of Redskins QB's not Kitna and Palmer. Also having another deep threat would keep the defense honest, especially if Chris Henry can ever learn to run any route besides the post. You have to think we were offering TJ 8-10 million per year. Coles would be a bargain at 6 million and allow us to sign at least one more decent FA if we could find one that fits. I'm all for bringing Coles here!!!!!!!!:rock on:

Bipolar Bengal
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Coles would be a great signing for the Bengals if we could get him for $6million or thereabouts. He's three months younger and faster than TJ. Also remember that Coles put up similar numbers playing with Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, and a laundry list of Redskins QB's not Kitna and Palmer. Also having another deep threat would keep the defense honest, especially if Chris Henry can ever learn to run any route besides the post. You have to think we were offering TJ 8-10 million per year. Coles would be a bargain at 6 million and allow us to sign at least one more decent FA if we could find one that fits. I'm all for bringing Coles here!!!!!!!!:rock on:

We offered TJ 7 mill a year. We can't sign Coles for that amount...It ( the amount) would be a cancer on this team.

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Coles would be a great signing for the Bengals if we could get him for $6million or thereabouts.

WOW... really!!??? I hope the BEngals DISAGREE cuz that is what he wants

We offered TJ 7 mill a year. We can't sign Coles for that amount...It ( the amount) would be a cancer on this team.

agreed... no reason to let TJ go if we are only going to bring someone else in who may or may not be as good on this team for "close" to the same money.

<4 and we think about it

jmuncy
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
no reason to let TJ go if we are only going to bring someone else in who may or may not be as good on this team for "close" to the same money.

agreed.

Coles is good, but he's not "TJ money" good.

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
agreed.

Coles is good, but he's not "TJ money" good.

hahaha.... either is TJ. haha

Willminus2
03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I would give him around 6, that'd be fine. TJ wanted more than that.

Bipolar Bengal
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
hahaha.... either is TJ. haha

That is exactly right sir.

:rotf:

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I would give him around 6, that'd be fine. TJ wanted more than that.

HOLY CARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 MILLll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://network1.1.googlepages.com/HolyCarp.jpg

JungleChaz
03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Signing Benson was a nice lift for my mood after the T.J thing even though I knew we were going to lose him. However I would feel alot better if we sign Coles who is a proven veteran with stats simmilar to T.Js and I think we need to make a statement to other would be signees by nabbing Coles. Then we can truely focus on that line in the draft.

Willminus2
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I'd be okay with giving 7 million a year for Coles

Dave from West Chester
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Signing Benson was a nice lift for my mood after the T.J thing even though I knew we were going to lose him. However I would feel alot better if we sign Coles who is a proven veteran with stats simmilar to T.Js and I think we need to make a statement to other would be signees by nabbing Coles. Then we can truely focus on that line in the draft.

I would like him but not for 6 million a year or whatever he was asking. He only had like 850 yds receiving and 7 tds last year. While that is good it is not enough to warrant such a large salary.:tiger:

The Bengal Thing
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'd be okay with giving 7 million a year for Coles

Now it's 7MILL!!!!!!!????

He only wants 6

Bipolar Bengal
I would like him but not for 6 million a year or whatever he was asking. He only had like 850 yds receiving and 7 tds last year. While that is good it is not enough to warrant such a large salary.:tiger:

Agreed. As I posted before, the players would never look at the team the same way again if we offer Coles more or at our TJ offer. It would be catastrophic in the locker room IMO.;)

The Bengal Thing
Agreed. As I posted before, the players would never look at the team the same way again if we offer Coles more or at our TJ offer. It would be catastrophic in the locker room IMO.;)

yep

ericbo
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
anyone hear anything new on the coles situation?

hacker
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM

If we add a LT in Rd 1 and a C in rd 2, I would feel OK with this present WR corp feeling that we are more likely to be a running team and giving Carson Palmer credit for making them a productive and better receiving group than they may appear to be just looking at their history. There are questions for sure, but IF Henry is more mature, he can be a very good player, IF Simpson contributes "some", he can be a good 4th or maybe 3rd. IF Chad stays around he can bounce back. I know there are plenty of IFs I'm laying out, but we have the potential to be a pretty good squad with what we have IF Carson is protected. Give me a mauler type Center and I think Benson can be a pretty good RB for us.

JungleJay_74
03-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I think that if Chad is expected to contribute this year, there's no way you sign Coles for what he's asking. I don't even think Chad would show up to TC if you do that.

Now, if later on, Coles doesn't get the deal he wants as is willing to take less, then you sign him. Otherwise, I think we'll add someone with some skins who's more of a lower-level FA.

djam
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I think that if Chad is expected to contribute this year, there's no way you sign Coles for what he's asking. I don't even think Chad would show up to TC if you do that.

Now, if later on, Coles doesn't get the deal he wants as is willing to take less, then you sign him. Otherwise, I think we'll add someone with some skins who's more of a lower-level FA.

Agreed

JungleJay_74
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
We could always sign Amani or Marvin Harrison to a 1 yr deal...

spazz70
03-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Now it's 7MILL!!!!!!!????

He only wants 6

hell yeah, **** it it is only a million dollars
\

tenacious-B
03-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Simpson's got one skin...he needs more skins.

Mr. Cinister
03-04-2009, 02:27 AM
We could always sign Amani or Marvin Harrison to a 1 yr deal...

Marvin's far from what he used to be.

JungleJay_74
03-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Marvin's far from what he used to be.

True. I wouldn't want to sign him, esp. as a slot receiver. I'm just saying that's probably what MB will end up doing :rolleyes:

Samhain
03-04-2009, 03:40 AM

Ain't that the truth? I hate the idea of drafting wrs in the first. It takes a couple of years for them to catch on, generally speaking. We need a guy who can be an immediate contributor. We also have plenty of holes on the o-line, no matter what Hobson or the fo wants us to think about reshuffling our current players. They ain't enough and we all know it.

I think if Carson got an improved line, the combo of Chad and Coles could be pretty lethal. He's quick and can break the big play. He's also never really had a guy of Carson's talent throwing to him, much less a wr like Chad to keep teams from keying in on him.

Basically, I'd like the Coles signing as long as we do what needs to be done with the line. If we don't. both his an everyone else's play on offense will be very limited.

Northwest Bengal
03-04-2009, 04:38 AM
How do you fix the worst offense in the league? Re-sign all of your backups from last year, let your budding star RT walk, and let the most productive player on your team leave, of course. Then, make no effort to attract the top C in free agency to even give you a look, and serve as a bidding platform for all other quality FA's to sign with other teams. Finally, drum up a ton of excitement about the fullback you're bringing to town, you know, the one that used to be on your Practice Squad?! Maalox, please!!

dust
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
with the recent loss of TJ to FA, some will argue that WR just became a somewhat major position of need for us. apparently the FO thinks so too, as we have brought in lavernius coles in for a visit. personally, i strongly disagree.
you dont need multiple stud receivers to compete. we already have chad johnson, one of the most productive wideouts over the past 6 years. we also have chris henry, who i think we can all agree that could be a major star if his head is in the right place. we also brought in 4 rookies last year, 2 of which are expected to produce this coming season. i wouldnt be opposed to adding another WR to our roster for depth and competition (not to mention as another option for kick returner). however, i dont want us bringing in a guy with the idea of him being a starter or even a #3.
back to the wideouts we drafted last year, we planned for this departure. for once, the FO actually drafted with some foresight and drafted wideouts a year before we needed them to really produce. the jury is still out on jerome simpson, but no one can deny that he has the physical tools to be a star in this league. as for andre caldwell, he looked very good in the limited PT he received last year, and with carson healthy he should continue to build on that. the others, no one knows yet, but our club has shown to be able to find WR talent anywhere in the draft.
one of the big reasons these guys didnt produce last year is they werent forced into the starting lineup like other rookies, such as desaun jackson were. unlike in philly, these guys had 3 players ahead of them on the depth chart. well now there are only 2, and these guys are poised to take more of a role in the offense. i dont see it as smart to bump them back down the ladder now.

corath21
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I think coles is a great Idea he is a good wide receiver and could help us greatly.
I also like marcus maxwell we had him one year and he woulda been great if he wouldn't have got hurt.But people get hurt in the game it happens.:tiger:

true fan
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/all_time/player/161-laveranues-coleswhy all the hate on Laveranues Coles ..I have saw this kid play and the guy has a great work ethic and is faster than tj ,his career stats are better than tj and he never played(until last year) with a qb like carson so signing him to a tj contract to me is fine because he is a good down field blocker and can get deep plus he can be a short yardage guy ala tj....
this is what espn had to say about him ..2008 Season Outlook
When he's healthy, Coles is one of the fastest receivers in the NFL. So why do the Jets continue to use him like he's a lumbering giant across the middle? In an injury-filled '07, Coles was 72nd among qualifiers in yards per reception (tied with Ben Utecht), and hasn't been better than 63rd in that statistic since 2003 (when he played for Washington). Coles continues to have terrific hands, catching nearly 62 percent of passes thrown his way even in a year dominated by his high ankle sprain and a mess at quarterback. He's 30 now and needs to show he can stay healthy, but until with Brett Favre now at the helm, he has plenty of upside.

CincyPhil151
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Just heard Marvin Lewis on the radio and they were asking about TJ leaving and marvin said they will be addressing that real soon and that something was eminent!! I am guessing they may be real close to signing Coles!!

pat5775
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Hmm... possibly :hmm:...

(I still wish their primary objective was to bring in a center...).

tenacious-B
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Coles... a lot, but I would also like to see the two high round draft picks, Simpson & Caldwell, get a shot at proving themselves. Simpson more so than Caldwell as it appears Caldwell has already shown enough to prove his worth, but Simpson is going to need playing time and by signing Coles he's just going to get put on the back-burner again.

iSeanOMac
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
They said that it will all be discussed during Benson's press conference today... Anyone know when that is scheduled?

Paul from Dayton
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Just heard Marvin Lewis on the radio and they were asking about TJ leaving and marvin said they will be addressing that real soon and that something was eminent!! I am guessing they may be real close to signing Coles!!

Can't really be mad at that. Carson would love to have Coles, Chad, and Henry on the field at the same time.

Bfox12585
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Well he left with out a contract. I don't think he is worth the money, but would like to see him on the team for about 4.5 mil/season but not more than that. What do you think of Henderson from the saints?

GreenDragon
03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
If i could choose a Jet to bring in, it would ne be Nick Mangold.

mad river
03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
It'll be our luck that Marvin really meant the Bengals are also going to announce they resigned "Guychick".

iSeanOMac
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Well he left with out a contract. I don't think he is worth the money, but would like to see him on the team for about 4.5 mil/season but not more than that. What do you think of Henderson from the saints?

Henderson is very hit or miss, an inconsistent player. We'd be better off starting Caldwell or Simpson and letting them get game time instead.

true fan
:Tigerdance::Tigerdance: would be a awsome pickup :agree: Coles is grossly underrated he's a heck of a down field blocker with great deep speed and can play the tj role as well :thumbsup:

iSeanOMac
It'll be our luck that Marvin really meant the Bengals are also going to announce they resigned "Guychick".

Ughhhhh... My worst nightmare.

CincyPhil151
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM

I agree I do not mind bringing coles in, just not for the 6 million that the bills are offering, 4.5 would not be a bad. Not sure if Henderson is the right fit or not, is a speed guy and not nearly as proven as coles.

corath21
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
That would be great. Now they need to work on a center , Ray lewis, June Cato, and Bryant Mcfadden.:tiger:

true fan
03-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying not for tj money 5-6 mil the guy is worth it he blocks very well and he runs great routes and has great deep speed and can run all the routes tj use to run why not pay him the money you would have paid tj

crazyjdawg
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7541

Really?

Stewy
03-04-2009, 11:56 AM
They didn't report him giggling. Why so serious Marvin?

pledgi
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying not for tj money 5-6 mil the guy is worth it he blocks very well and he runs great routes and has great deep speed and can run all the routes tj use to run why not pay him the money you would have paid tj

Well said. Coles is every bit as good if not better than TJ. I'm tired of 4 yard slants anyway. What ever happened to the days of throwing the deep ball on the first play from scrimmage and getting ahead quickly? Ocho Cinco, Henry, and Coles all have big play capability which will keep that free safety honest! (Polamalu, Reed to be more specific).

pat5775
03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
They didn't report him giggling. Why so serious Marvin?

Maybe... just maybe... he's starting to give a ****?

tiger-in-tx
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow makes perfect since for the bengals to let housh go partly because of his age and now they are talking to coles who is a whole 3 months younger. Great job front office,

Stewy
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe... just maybe... he's starting to give a ****?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

*wipes a tear*

Man that was a good one. Don't make me laugh like that.

*giggles*

DennyG2
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

GreenDragon
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Imminent.

tiger-in-tx
03-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Do you think Mike Brown even knows what that word means

InvaderZimmer
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM

This will happen in a minute!

Samhain
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Imminent. Sounds like one of those "themes". The fo is always talking about.

pat5775
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

*wipes a tear*

Man that was a good one. Don't make me laugh like that.

*giggles*

:lol:
hey, I said maybe

eliminate08
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Imminent. Sounds like one of those "themes". The fo is always talking about.

Thats impotent.:ninja:

fredtoast
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
He didn't say "Coles" he just said a WR.

Get ready for the big Malcolm Floyd announcement and the rush of Bengals fans trying to find out who he is.

pookdogg7
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM

This link gives more hope :

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7542

The one you posted said this:

Head coach Marvin Lewis indciated that more moves are coming during Cedric Benson's news conference. In fact, he used the word "imminent." Asked if that pertained to wide receiver Laverneus Coles, he said, "I only said imminent.'"

The other one says:

All signs were pointing to a deal with Coles getting closer and closer, a move that would bring quarterback Carson Palmer two receivers with more than 600 career catches

Stewy
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
He didn't say "Coles" he just said a WR.

Get ready for the big Malcolm Floyd announcement and the rush of Bengals fans trying to find out who he is.

Actually Fred - this is what he said.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indciated that more moves are coming during Cedric Benson's news conference. In fact, he used the word "imminent." Asked if that pertained to wide receiver Laverneus Coles, he said, "I only said imminent.'"

He never even said WR. He just said there would be more news imminently. So it could be any position, but apparently ML feels it's big news.

BritishBengal
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Please say this is going to happen, it would be the best way to rebound from losing TJ. Coles, Johnson, Henry, Caldwell, Simpson... If they all behave and decide to pull together, that is quite a nice recieving core!!!

bearcatbob
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Word on the street had J. Coles leaving PBS with an unsigned player contract. If accepted after mulling over other deals, he will sign and send via faxcimile transmission by Friday's close of business at the latest.

Just the word from the street...not gospel.

JungleFever
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

:Clap: :rotf:

probably not

BengalBug
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
imminent- ready to take place

dont get your hopes up!

DennyG2
03-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Word on the street had J. Coles leaving PBS with an unsigned player contract. If accepted after mulling over other deals, he will sign and send via faxcimile transmission by Friday's close of business at the latest.

Yea, we hear you:rolleyes: we will take your word for it.

bearcatbob
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea, we hear you:rolleyes: we will take your word for it.

Don't cross your fingers!:thumbsup:

Samhain
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Actually Fred - this is what he said.

He never even said WR. He just said there would be more news imminently. So it could be any position, but apparently ML feels it's big news.

Would anyone be surprised if it was Rex Grossman and Kuhn? I see this happening.

DooDooMagoo
03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
his numbers over the last 2 seasons dont warrant a big contract so if his demands are up there then let him walk... his 125 catches the last 2 seasons are nothing spectacular since he is not typically a possession receiver but more a deep threat receiver in the latter part of his career. I realize we need to consider bringing in another veteran to give us that depth but why pay someone 6mil a year for numbers of 2 years that housh was close to putting up in 1 year... We would be better off bringing someone in like devery henderson who has shown some promise and is the same type of receiver coles is and is a lot younger... Give coles a 1-2yr deal at most and we would be in good shape

GBPackerBotkins
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Coles is replacing Chad instead of TJ. Coles, Caldwell, Henry sounds good to me with Simpson as #4 to let him develop still. Trade Chad for a center and 4th round pick.

Broken1
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Would anyone be surprised if it was Rex Grossman and Kuhn? I see this happening.

I would be happy with that...

DooDooMagoo
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Coles is replacing Chad instead of TJ. Coles, Caldwell, Henry sounds good to me with Simpson as #4 to let him develop still. Trade Chad for a center and 4th round pick.

that could certainly be an option... and devery henderson is off the market so my sleeper replacement is now gone

true fan
03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by DooDooMagoo
his numbers over the last 2 seasons dont warrant a big contract so if his demands are up there then let him walk... his 125 catches the last 2 seasons are nothing spectacular since he is not typically a possession receiver but more a deep threat receiver in the latter part of his career. I realize we need to consider bringing in another veteran to give us that depth but why pay someone 6mil a year for numbers of 2 years that housh was close to putting up in 1 year... We would be better off bringing someone in like devery henderson who has shown some promise and is the same type of receiver coles is and is a lot younger... Give coles a 1-2yr deal at most and we would be in good shape He was not healthy but he still tried top play...And he is m,ore than a deep threat (devery henderson is just a deep threat)Cole can run all the routes remember his qb was chad and he don't have a kitna are(let alone carson).The reason we should pay the man 5-6 mil for 2 to 3 years it will give are young reciever a chance to grow and not rush them into action

bearcatbob
03-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Props to you Mr. Bearcat.:thumbsup:

pookdogg7
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Coles agrees: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7542