PDA

View Full Version : If not Hood, Darnell Dockett?

LEATHER FACE
05-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Dockett seems to be wanting out of Arizona. Wouldn't he basically solidify the right to call this new Bengals defense, ... "THE BAD BOYS OF THE JUNGLE?"

Do they have enough room?

I'd prefer Dockett over Hood. We need a 6'4", 285 pound DE, who can both stop the run, and attack the QB.

2008 - 49 tackles - 4.0 sacks - 1 FF - 1 PDef

2007 - 58 tackles - 9.0 sacks - 1 PDef

6 year veteran - age 27

BennyBengals
05-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeh it wont happen though because:

1. The asking price is a 1st along with something else.

2. He'll want a top of the range contract - that's the whole idea behind the request in Arizona.

LEATHER FACE
05-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeh it wont happen though because:

1. The asking price is a 1st along with something else.

2. He'll want a top of the range contract - that's the whole idea behind the request in Arizona.

I'd give up a first, easily. ... and he doesn't deserve a top of the range contract, not with 4 sacks. I'm sure this organization could find a way. You have to admit, this defense would give Pittsburgh's defense a very good run for their money.

BennyBengals
05-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd give up a first, easily. ... and he doesn't deserve a top of the range contract, not with 4 sacks. I'm sure this organization could find a way. You have to admit, this defense would give Pittsburgh's defense a very good run for their money.

oh yeh, i'm not arguing that i don't want it happen, even giving up a first, i'd be tempted but with giving up a 1st you have the problem of:
Losing a top10 pick if the season goes bottom up!
This year the talent at DL is incredible so i wouldn't rush into trading off picks this year when we can get a quality DE midway through the 1st (i think we go 9-7).

I know he doesn't deserve a top-of-the-range contract and that's also why the Cards aren't giving it to him, which is casuing the problems in the first place. If we were to trade for him, a pricey contract would be inevitable. Look at Philly - they gave up a 1st (and some crap) for Jason Peters and within a couple of days he was one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league.

Whilst it would be a great move in solidifying the DL, we have a lot of young guys to give a shot to, not to mention an elite DL class coming out so that's why i don't think it will happen, nor should we trade away that 1st!

LEATHER FACE
05-12-2009, 07:41 AM
oh yeh, i'm not arguing that i don't want it happen, even giving up a first, i'd be tempted but with giving up a 1st you have the problem of:
Losing a top10 pick if the season goes bottom up!
This year the talent at DL is incredible so i wouldn't rush into trading off picks this year when we can get a quality DE midway through the 1st (i think we go 9-7).

I know he doesn't deserve a top-of-the-range contract and that's also why the Cards aren't giving it to him, which is casuing the problems in the first place. If we were to trade for him, a pricey contract would be inevitable. Look at Philly - they gave up a 1st (and some crap) for Jason Peters and within a couple of days he was one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league.

Whilst it would be a great move in solidifying the DL, we have a lot of young guys to give a shot to, not to mention an elite DL class coming out so that's why i don't think it will happen, nor should we trade away that 1st!

I agree, for the most part, but....

if we got Dockett, there'd almost be a solid guarantee that we would be no where near getting a top ten pick.

fredtoast
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM

We need a CB ten times more than we do another D-lineman. If Joseph goes down again our defense will be in trouble no matter who we have playing DE.

Our D-line is not full of Pro Bowlers, but there is enough talent there that it would be silly to give up a 1st round pick for a DE.

BennyBengals
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
I agree, for the most part, but....

if we got Dockett, there'd almost be a solid guarantee that we would be no where near getting a top ten pick.

in all probablility it won't happen (i wontgo down the injury route to set my argument)
but even in the top 20 we should be able to grab a great DLineman if they dont step up, or a spped RB there instead!

BANJAXED
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
We need a CB ten times more than we do another D-lineman. If Joseph goes down again our defense will be in trouble no matter who we have playing DE.

Our D-line is not full of Pro Bowlers, but there is enough talent there that it would be silly to give up a 1st round pick for a DE.

yep - any update on hood? :nervous:

fredtoast
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM

I don't think we will be able to afford him. CBs are way overpriced in the free agent market. I was wanting us to get Jabari Greer until I saw that he got $23 million for a 4 year deal. That's pretty steep for a guy that lost his starting job to a rookie, and Hood should get at least that much.

We've got more money to spend that Hobson claims, but I don't think we will be able to sign Hood.

SouthernStripes
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Just got back from the beach and I was looking for the exact same thing.

I havent heard a thing since the report came out he was to visit.

Anyone hear how it went maybe ?

I would love it if it did happen, not looking for it to though

I also think he could get a good deal somewhere.
Would he want to even come here and be a #3 or would Joseph move to 3 ?

:tiger: