PDA

View Full Version : Look like Pacman may be nearing a new deal

neek
03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/19/2883968/another-possible-return-adam-jones-is-nearing-a-new-deal

According to CincyJungle it looks like something may be happening. Does this mean No Porter? I'd like to have them both and let Jones return kicks again. Thoughts?

hacker
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I think he gave great effort and I want him to be our primary PR even if he's just a #4 CB

Shouldamapads
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
He's a better corner nickle and he got toasted in the playoffs on the play mentioned. That being said, he has talent and he came off injury- with no game experience and did ok. I wondered if he'd be back.

Lots of upside and if healthy through camp might be closer to the Jones of old (minus the making it rain).

Bryan
03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I may not be Pacman's biggest fan but people really shouldn't point to one bad play to criticize him. Pacman Jones is 5'9" and Andre Johnson is 6'3" it's kind of hard to cover someone 6 inches taller than you in a game where inches mean everything. Hell taller corners have trouble covering Andre so it's not like Pacman got beaten by a bum.

Lolli
03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/19/2883968/another-possible-return-adam-jones-is-nearing-a-new-deal

According to CincyJungle it looks like something may be happening. Does this mean No Porter? I'd like to have them both and let Jones return kicks again. Thoughts?
It would be good depth and maybe even a replacement for Tate.

mars304
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I may not be Pacman's biggest fan but people really shouldn't point to one bad play to criticize him. Pacman Jones is 5'9" and Andre Johnson is 6'3" it's kind of hard to cover someone 6 inches taller than you in a game where inches mean everything. Hell taller corners have trouble covering Andre so it's not like Pacman got beaten by a bum.

Getting beat on that play had nothing to do with size, pacman just got played. Now, after saying that I still want him back on the team, I think he is a hell of an option for a 4th CB.

Who85Dey
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
If we re-sign Jones, we won't sign Porter, not after we just signed Allen. I'm open to re-signing Jones. He adds depth and like others have said, he can become the primary punt/ kick returner with Hall, Clements, and Allen being ahead of him on the depth chart at CB.

The reason that he was not given more opportunities to handle returns last season, I have to believe, is because the coaching staff did not want to risk injury to him since he was lining up as our nickle CB.

Obviously, I would say that there should be an open competition between him and Tate this summer. Maybe Tate also gets a bigger role on offense.

phil413
03-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Makes too much sense to bring him back on the cheap for CB depth and as a return man. This gives them the luxury in terms of short term corner help if they want to wait longer in the draft as well. With Jones, if they take a corner that can be a top 3 guy from the start, it makes you wonder if they will indeed move Clements to safety. It sounds crazy to move a corner next to a guy like Nelson back there, but I trust Nate more than Crocker.

jj22
03-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Porter is headed to Oakland. Pac would be a good depth. No guarantees he should make it out of training camp, but give him the offseason to prove himself. I like the sounds of Hall/Clements/Allen/Pac/High Drafted Rookie.

psychdoctor
03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
If the Bengals re-sign Adam Jones, then it signals to me they are not looking at Jenkins Db in the upcoming draft. They will sign another Cb in the 3-4 range.

Steeler Eater
03-19-2012, 10:17 AM

I see us drafting another CB and Allen is insurance in case Leon isn't 100% to start the season. If he is, we will probably let our Rookie sit all year unless there is an injury and let Allen and Jones split time at Nickel and do it by who is the hottest, which is a luxury. I really don't see us signing Porter after we just got Allen because Porter will want to start unless of course we want Allen to play Safety with Nelson which is an intriguing though, but who knows what Zimmer will do. We also have Clements who believe it or not actually deserves to be our #2 as of right now because he came up big at times last year with his ability to tackle the RB and step his game up when in need. I think Porter could beat out Clements easily because of his coverage skills, but I really think he would rather be the guy for a team like Oakland instead of fighting to be #2 in camp and possibly be lurking as the #3. That would be a nice crowded backfield though with the way our CB situation has been the past couple years.

Edit: Just saw this.

Rob ‏ @RobPoeKY Open
“@whodeybaby: @REALPACMAN24 that means your next PAC we got reggie back now its your turn.” #Bengals
from Fort Mitchell, KY
ADAm Pacman Jones ‏ @REALPACMAN24 Close
@RobPoeKY lol no
Hide conversation
9:09 PM - 18 Mar 12 via Twitter for iPhone Details

heavyj39
03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I think re-signing him would be a fantastic move. Say what you want but he would be the best #4 cb in the NFL. When completely healthy he is probably our second best CB regardless. I don't want to downplay his shortcomings but Adam Jones is still a physically elite football player who plays intelligent football most of the time. I hope we bring him back. The guys we have on the roster allow us a grace period even if he misses a game or two from a suspension.

Lawless_1
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm ok with him coming back.

It's an upgrade over Ghee and does NOT mean Porter is out of the picture.

Sign him and Porter and get rid of Crocker (or Sands) that way if Leon can't go at the beginning of the season you have depth at CB and just let Mays play SS..... if Leon is healthy move Allen or Nate to SS.

Versatility is key.

Goose
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Adam is full of talent, am I crazy but in addition to returns, safety ?

dust
03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
i hope he resigns, he played better last year than a lot of people give him credit for. If hes the 3rd or more likely 4th corner on the depth chart, and our punt returner, hes a great fit.

TGISunday
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Adam is full of talent, am I crazy but in addition to returns, safety ?

I wouldn't say crazy, but I don't think Jones is smart enough for the transition, and I don't mean that offensively just calling a spade a spade. It's hard enough for him to stay out of trouble and be o.k. at his 1st position before trying him at another.

TGISunday
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Porter is headed to Oakland. Pac would be a good depth. No guarantees he should make it out of training camp, but give him the offseason to prove himself. I like the sounds of Hall/Clements/Allen/Pac/High Drafted Rookie.

5 is probably all we keep at cornerback, and I bet Ghee gets the short end of the stick. He's gonna go the way of Chase Coffman and be PS fodder, with no NCAA records to show for it.

Maybe not a high drafted rookie (2nd round maybe?) but this coupled with the loss of two DE/DTs paves the way for a high DL pick. Maybe we'll get away from the rotation as we know it to Starter/backup rotation that's more common around the league.

At least I hope. The 1st round is ripe with good DL talent graded around our picks.

Luvnit2
03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I see a Bengals team upgrading and adding depth. In the past, we had to find starters and then hope young guys develop. Now, we have a mixture of veterans for depth and young guys to compete who may see little playing time as they learn. I think this mirrors what the Steelers have been foing for years.

phil413
03-19-2012, 10:54 AM
5 is probably all we keep at safety, and I bet Ghee gets the short end of the stick. He's gonna go the way of Chase Coffman and be PS fodder, with no NCAA records to show for it.

Maybe not a high drafted rookie (2nd round maybe?) but this coupled with the loss of two DE/DTs paves the way for a high DL pick. Maybe we'll get away from the rotation as we know it to Starter/backup rotation that's more common around the league.

At least I hope. The 1st round is ripe with good DL talent graded around our picks.

Agreed that there seems to be more of a chance of a high DL pick. If they lose Sims it becomes an absolute. I love Geno, but part of his game is needing a big DT to help in run support behind him, we see what losing Sims did to the team. If they can't find a fit in FA, they'll have to take a run supporting DT. Hopefully they keep Sims, and it would be wide open to take a DT/DE type like Cox or a project in Brockers if somehow he slips.

PApinhead
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
He's a better corner nickle and he got toasted in the playoffs on the play mentioned. That being said, he has talent and he came off injury- with no game experience and did ok. I wondered if he'd be back.

Lots of upside and if healthy through camp might be closer to the Jones of old (minus the making it rain).

Getting beat on that play had nothing to do with size, pacman just got played. Now, after saying that I still want him back on the team, I think he is a hell of an option for a 4th CB.

Wasn't he injured on the play before that? That might have had something to do with it. Not saying Johnson still wouldn't have caught it, but being injured the play before can slow you down a bit.

I would like to see Jones back as it seems we can never have too many experienced CB's and I think he could still help us.

BoomerFan
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
He has that relationship with Zim dating back to his days with the 'boys. And I would take him just for CB depth even if he couldn't PR.

THE PISTONS
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM

He got beat on a move. It wasn't a height thing or a speed thing.

Plus, if Ed Reed is back there, it probably gets intercepted.

eliminate08
03-19-2012, 12:38 PM

With Hall, Clements, Allen, Jones and Jennings we are looking decent at Corner.

I was hoping we would re-sign Adam, even with his problems and that he got toasted in
our playoff loss, he is still a talent and is a very good returner.

mulligan
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
With Hall, Clements, Allen, Jones and Jennings we are looking decent at Corner.

I was hoping we would re-sign Adam, even with his problems and that he got toasted in
our playoff loss, he is still a talent and is a very good returner.

Jennings is a free agent. It would be Ghee.

eliminate08
03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Jennings is a free agent. It would be Ghee.

I wouldn't mind re-signing Jennings then. He played much better as the year went on and
the guy is fast which is something you cannot teach. Not a fan of Ghee, haven't seen a
thing from him to say he can play the position.

BigPapaKain
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Every corner gets burned at times.

Everyone who is angry that he got burned by arguably the best wide receiver in the league is just...well, I'm not allowed to swear on these boards anymore without getting banned, so I'm just gonna say it's ignorant.

armartin812
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Per Adam's twitter he isn't coming back here. So maybe we will bring in Porter.

joshb1983
03-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Clif Marshall ‏ @ClifMarshall Reply Retweet Favorite Open
NFL Free Agent CB @REALPACMAN24 working hard today on his strength, speed, stamina. He still has tread on the tires! http://twitpic.com/8x3gmj pacman seems to be working hard this offseason...taking no time off...gotta like that

BigPapaKain
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Per Adam's twitter he isn't coming back here. So maybe we will bring in Porter.

Shefter or Jones? Because Pacman's doesn't say anything.

Nothing. (https://twitter.com/#!/REALPACMAN24)

J24
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
He is injury prone and he always seems to be in some sort of trouble.

Housh
03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
At times Adam looked like a leader last year. Definitely want him back, he's stayed out of trouble now he has to fight injury bug

armartin812
03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Shefter or Jones? Because Pacman's doesn't say anything.

Nothing. (https://twitter.com/#!/REALPACMAN24)

I'm don't know how to directly link you to the tweet but on his Twitter page 17 hours ago. It was in response to someone mentioning the Nelson resigning. Steeler Eater pasted the tweet on the first page of this thread.

BengalsBong
03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
i agree with you most of your posts....but i think if we have Hall/Clements/Allen/Pac then we go with Ghee as the 5th

bludgeon
03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
At times Adam looked like a leader last year. Definitely want him back, he's stayed out of trouble now he has to fight injury bug

he's a better KR than Tate...

BengalsBong
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Makes too much sense to bring him back on the cheap for CB depth and as a return man. This gives them the luxury in terms of short term corner help if they want to wait longer in the draft as well. With Jones, if they take a corner that can be a top 3 guy from the start, it makes you wonder if they will indeed move Clements to safety. It sounds crazy to move a corner next to a guy like Nelson back there, but I trust Nate more than Crocker.
if we move a corner to safety i say move Allen that is only if Hall is healty and we draft a corner high

7sLefty
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
if we move a corner to safety i say move Allen that is only if Hall is healty and we draft a corner high

I think signining pacman is a smart solid move.....like u said he s not gonna get a crazy offer by any means so he should be pretty cheap and most if any won't touch him besides us

mulligan
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
i agree with you most of your posts....but i think if we have Hall/Clements/Allen/Pac then we go with Ghee as the 5th

Allen signed a short 2 year deal.
Clements is a free agent after 2012.

Signing Pacman would help with CB depth and add another PR threat.

The Bengals need to secure another solid CB via the draft as well.

It makes sense to draft a CB either in the 1st or the 2nd next year, especially with Zimmer's propensity to put CBs on an island.

BengalsBong
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
he's a better KR than Tate...
our special teams is a strong point most years because Marvin loves field position...Pac and Gamble would both be nice to have if he has not signed someplace and for the right price

joshb1983
03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm don't know how to directly link you to the tweet but on his Twitter page 17 hours ago. It was in response to someone mentioning the Nelson resigning. Steeler Eater pasted the tweet on the first page of this thread.

@REALPACMAN24 that means your next PAC we got reggie back now its your turn.” #Bengals

17h REALPACMAN24 @RobPoeKY lol no
17h @REALPACMAN24 You mean "no" you're not next or "no" you're not coming back to Cincy?
Expand

joshb1983
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
@REALPACMAN24 that means your next PAC we got reggie back now its your turn. #Bengals

17h @REALPACMAN24 You mean "no" you're not next or "no" you're not coming back to Cincy?
Expand

he didnt really say for sure

joshb1983
03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
5h MrStrong513 @ REALPACMAN24 sign with the #Bengals!! What other team been holding u down?! Lol

5h REALPACMAN24 @ MrStrong513 u think

4h MrStrong513 @ REALPACMAN24 I been saying all last season that u are a better DB than Leon hall. Hands down

4h MrStrong513 @ REALPACMAN24 lol I don't know forreal! The fans have tho! (THIS IS ALL THE TWEETS FROM PACMAN TODAY)

BoomerFan
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
@REALPACMAN24 that means your next PAC we got reggie back now its your turn. #Bengals

Expand

Well, I do remember him getting into it with Reggie during the Cardinals game...

BengalsBong
03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
He has that relationship with Zim dating back to his days with the 'boys. And I would take him just for CB depth even if he couldn't PR.
Agree

Norm
03-19-2012, 06:25 PM
I like the idea of bringing Pacman back incase Leon isn't 100% at the beginning of the season. We could roll with Clements/Allen/Pacman and not be terrible.

jfkbengals
03-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, I do remember him getting into it with Reggie during the Cardinals game...
Are you sure?? I thought it was Crocker...

eliminate08
03-19-2012, 06:32 PM

I seen Adam getting into it a lot with Crocker late last season but i missed him getting into it with Nelson.

Cause Crocker wasn't doing his job a few times and was laying blame on Adam.

Crocker needs to be gone. Adam didn't play too well late last season either but atleast he is solid depth and a good returner.

Treee
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I seen Adam getting into it a lot with Crocker late last season but i missed him getting into it with Nelson.

Cause Crocker wasn't doing his job a few times and was laying blame on Adam.

Crocker needs to be gone. Adam didn't play too well late last season either but atleast he is solid depth and a good returner.

Everyone on that defense knew Crocker wasn't a starting calibur S. Adam Jones just actually said something about it. It could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think it's good because Adam holds his teammates accountable.

momadance02
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd love to bring him back

mulligan
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Everyone on that defense knew Crocker wasn't a starting calibur S. Adam Jones just actually said something about it. It could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think it's good because Adam holds his teammates accountable.

Crocker probably will be a Bengal next year. At worst, he would be an excellent back up safety.

FS: Nelson/Crocker/Miles??
SS: 2nd Round Pick/Mays/Sands

Treee
03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Crocker probably will be a Bengal next year. At worst, he would be an excellent back up safety.

FS: Nelson/Crocker/Miles??
SS: 2nd Round Pick/Mays/Sands

I do not believe that Crocker could play FS because he was already bad enough at coverage as a SS and we use our FS as a center fielder and play cover 3 a pretty decent amount. If anything I hope we pick up a good S in the draft and allow Crocker, Mays, and the draft pick to duke it out for spots on the depth chart.

allday85
03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Im cool with it Pacman is a versatile Cb everyone talks about the play when he got beat it clearly was broken coverage he thought he had help over the top bit on the underneath route and got beat up top it happens other than that one play he played good brought a swagger and edge to the secondary which we needed at that point of the season.

mulligan
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I do not believe that Crocker could play FS because he was already bad enough at coverage as a SS and we use our FS as a center fielder and play cover 3 a pretty decent amount. If anything I hope we pick up a good S in the draft and allow Crocker, Mays, and the draft pick to duke it out for spots on the depth chart.

Marvin & Zimmer claim that our safeties are interchangable.

Goose
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't say crazy, but I don't think Jones is smart enough for the transition, and I don't mean that offensively just calling a spade a spade. It's hard enough for him to stay out of trouble and be o.k. at his 1st position before trying him at another.

I think Adam like Reed would be a good center fielder. Go get the ball.

Synric
03-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Even with the Bengals signing Allen, Adam Pacman Jones is still the second best Corner on the team. Now if he could stay healthy and out of the bars he would be pulling down top 10 corner money. Zimmer will talk Mike Brown into signing Pacman to a 1 year deal this season, and when Zimmer leaves next year Pacman will follow.

mrcommish<2009>
03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
hopefully he's signing that deal with someone else

redwhodey
03-20-2012, 03:39 PM
good!!!..i know most people are hoping to see him go, but frankly, he came in and did pretty good the last half of the season when hall went down. and remind you he was way rusty then. he has a full season of workouts, and im betting he has a breakout year, barring injury. i would absolutely love him back.

BigPapaKain
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Im cool with it Pacman is a versatile Cb everyone talks about the play when he got beat it clearly was broken coverage he thought he had help over the top bit on the underneath route and got beat up top it happens other than that one play he played good brought a swagger and edge to the secondary which we needed at that point of the season.

Every corner gets burned. It's a fact of the position.

jfkbengals
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Every corner gets burned. It's a fact of the position.
But only one got burned by Chad Johnson while having "I own 85" shaved into his head"!:lol:

Don't ask what made me think about that. It just popped in there while reading your post.

The Caped Crusader
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
If we are signing Pacman, my guess is that Clements might be moved to Safety, especially with all signs pointing to a Corner in the draft.