Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094
Default Andy Dalton ELITE?! ESPN

Andy Dalton, mentioned as a future "Elite" QB....

I have to say, it gives me goosebumps hearing this... Not because he is our QB, and I love my Bengals... but because I think he has the "skill set" that great QB's need in order to be successful in this league. Like Dilfer said, can we keep adding pieces around him to make this come to fruition

Your thoughts??

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=778...goryid=2378529
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 198
Default Re: Andy Dalton ELITE?! ESPN

I agree he COULD be.. if we do the right things around him

He'll never be Manning or Brady or Brees, but he can be very solid, in that next group of guys.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeyredgreen View Post
I agree he COULD be.. if we do the right things around him

He'll never be Manning or Brady or Brees, but he can be very solid, in that next group of guys.
So he could become elite, but he'll never be like Manning, Brady or Brees... what are those guys then??
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5775 View Post
So he could become elite, but he'll never be like Manning, Brady or Brees... what are those guys then??
Why can't he be a Brees?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 838

video dont work no mo!

"If you wood-na did what you wood-a did..Then we wood-na been where we was at to get what we got."-Michael Johnson to Robert Geathers.
"MY MOMMA HEURE !...MY MOMMA WATCHING!...I love ya MOMMA! Michael Johnson to MOMMA.
They deleted the video with these quotes...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24143

I love Andy, but it does worry me how heavily he had to rely on AJ Green. In the late season games against the Steelers and Ravens, (when AJ was mostly hurt and only had 1 catch) Andy only completed 52% of his throws, threw 5 picks, and had a QB rating of 61. I'm very optimistic about him, but I would like to see him consistently hit receivers that aren't 6'4'' and can jump through a roof. AJ bailed him out a ton by playing the ball really well, even when Andy was way off.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094

What makes you think... or what evidence do you have to say he wouldnt be a "Brees" type player....

I hate when people put limits on Dalton... Im not saying he WILL be great.... But I still hate when people say he WONT
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

I love Dalton, but it's just silly to project him as an elite player already. His rookie season was damn impressive, but lets give him a couple of seasons before we cast his ballot for the HOF.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

I hate the notion that if you put a bunch of things around a player, he'll be elite. The player is elite on his own, and there are few like it. I think Dalton can be a great QB, but I don't think he'll be elite
Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35510

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I hate the notion that if you put a bunch of things around a player, he'll be elite. The player is elite on his own, and there are few like it. I think Dalton can be a great QB, but I don't think he'll be elite
Depends on the position really. A cornerback or a tackle can perform at an elite level regardless of what they have around them. With offensive skill positions, not so much. QBs especially rely on their teammates in order to perform at their optimal level.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: Andy Dalton ELITE?! ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCMehayward View Post
Andy Dalton, mentioned as a future "Elite" QB....

I have to say, it gives me goosebumps hearing this... Not because he is our QB, and I love my Bengals... but because I think he has the "skill set" that great QB's need in order to be successful in this league. Like Dilfer said, can we keep adding pieces around him to make this come to fruition

Your thoughts??

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=778...goryid=2378529
I certainly believe he could be a future elite because of the head on his shoulders. There is no doubt he is an extremely smart player that learns from his mistakes. He ie not afraid to take what a defense will give him and count on his other skill players to do what they are paid to do.

I think he understands that there are times you need to force the issue against a defense to make them change up some but at this point iw cautious in doing so. I think you will see more of him being successful at pushing things and less hesitant to do so as he grows more into the NFL game.