Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 175
Default Brandon Brooks

Seems to be a guy we could target in round 3. His Pro Day numbers are extremely strong for a man his size.
6-5 346, 4.98 40, and 36 bench reps.

We like our interior linemen big, and he certainly fits that mold. Unless we come away with decastro or glenn in round 1 this guy intrigues me.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1018
Default Re: Brandon Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey13 View Post
Seems to be a guy we could target in round 3. His Pro Day numbers are extremely strong for a man his size.

We like our interior linemen big, and he certainly fits that mold. Unless we come away with decastro or glenn in round 1 this guy intrigues me.
Where's he from?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerdaulton21 View Post
Where's he from?
Miami Ohio. he appears to be a 3rd rounder according to most websites. I read before the combine no one could understand why he did not get an invite
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Miami Ohio. he appears to be a 3rd rounder according to most websites. I read before the combine no one could understand why he did not get an invite
He's big!!! Yeah I've never heard but i swear even being a buckeye fan I think size is all that got Adams a 1st round projection....
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42881

Mayock was really hyping the kid during the Shrine Bowl Week

Thanks to CINwillWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone ignorant and naive
If you're waiting on the Supreme Court to make a decision, you're being both naive of our judicial system and ignorant of the Supreme Court's recent decision not to hear any gay marriage cases as long as these appellate court decisions continue to be in agreement with each other.

Given the fact that it is highly unlikely that an appellate court will uphold a gay marriage ban, you may never hear from SCOTUS on this one.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Mayock was really hyping the kid during the Shrine Bowl Week
Really.....so realistically we could bank on him being there in the 4th or 5th round
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerdaulton21 View Post
Really.....so realistically we could bank on him being there in the 4th or 5th round
Mostly seems to be 3rd. But would seem to be a nice alternative to decastro/glenn/zietler that everyone projects.

We could draft maybe kirkpatrick/barron/david wilson or doug martin/ Brandon Brooks. Hit 4 big needs and then fill wr in free agency
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4916

He's got my vote.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3043

I assume the Bengals had coaches at Miami. It's not like that trip breaks the travel budget.

If those scores are true... If NFL coaches' stopwatches and bench counts confirm those numbers...

Brandon Brooks will not make it to our 3rd round pick.

He performed well at the East-West game and Mayock talked him up - and those numbers are FREAKISH. Does everyone realize where those numbers would have ranked if he'd been invited to the combine? FASTEST 40 time of the entire 55 Offensive Linemen.
SECOND best bench of 55 OLineman. And his size has to place him in the top 10% of those line monsters.

He's not gonna make it to pick #86.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

The Bills were definitely there.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/0...es-at-pro-day/

For those who watched the combine on Defensive Tackle day, and heard Mike Mayock gushing over Dontari Poe and how 4.98 in the 40 yds dash for a 346 pound guy was ridiculous, Brandon Brooks did exactly the same time and is the same size.

And he's an Offensive Lineman.

I say again, he ain't gonna make it to our pick in the 3rd.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
The Bills were definitely there.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/0...es-at-pro-day/

For those who watched the combine on Defensive Tackle day, and heard Mike Mayock gushing over Dontari Poe and how 4.98 in the 40 yds dash for a 346 pound guy was ridiculous, Brandon Brooks did exactly the same time and is the same size.

And he's an Offensive Lineman.

I say again, he ain't gonna make it to our pick in the 3rd.
Poe was already a 1st round pick probably around the 20-25 area. Now hes just a higher first. Combine speeds are generally slower, i imagine this time translates to around a 5.1 40 at the combine. I can't imagine an offensive linemen running well makes up for all the film that got him graded where he was.

Remember Lance louis? Or Bruce Cambell? I think you are overreacting by a wide margin to say he definitively won't be there. I mean bruce cambell put up 34 bench press reps at 6-6 315 with really long arms. Also he ran an OFFICIAL 4.85 40 yard dash. He went in the 4th round with those elite left tackle measurables.

I find it hard to believe that a pro day will move the needle that much from a late 3rd 4th round pick to a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure he makes it to our pick, but i can't imagine him going in the 2nd with some of the other gaurds in this class.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

I've got to believe that Brooks will be there for our 3rd round pick, and possibly the 4th.

The best players are always chosen for the Senior Bowl and/or the Combine. Brooks played in the Shrine game and is not a Tackle. I bet he'll fall further than people think.

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1353

If Cincy doesn't draft Brooks in the 3rd, they won't get him in the 4th.

It's time for Raggedy Andy to go...
Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Poe was already a 1st round pick probably around the 20-25 area. Now hes just a higher first. Combine speeds are generally slower, i imagine this time translates to around a 5.1 40 at the combine. I can't imagine an offensive linemen running well makes up for all the film that got him graded where he was.

Remember Lance louis? Or Bruce Cambell? I think you are overreacting by a wide margin to say he definitively won't be there. I mean bruce cambell put up 34 bench press reps at 6-6 315 with really long arms. Also he ran an OFFICIAL 4.85 40 yard dash. He went in the 4th round with those elite left tackle measurables.

I find it hard to believe that a pro day will move the needle that much from a late 3rd 4th round pick to a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure he makes it to our pick, but i can't imagine him going in the 2nd with some of the other gaurds in this class.
I confess to being a sucker for small school or underappreciated conference players who dominate their league AND put up measurables which make everybody realize that there was a reason they owned the competition. Brandon Brook's pro day numbers will drive coaches back to the tapes.

Did I watch Miami of Ohio games? Nope.

You're right. A guard is a guard and 3rd round puts you in the Top 100 of all picks. I'm looking forward to see if some team decides his tape, combined with those scores, puts him over the top for a 3rd round pick.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4196

The Steelers were there watching Brooks....

Quote:
At one point during bag drills he knocked over a coach from the Pittsburgh Steelers after violently striking the bag with his powerful hand punch.
....and they love drafting players from the state of Ohio.

3rd round seems about right for him and a team may be getting a steal at that point but drafting him any higher goes from a steal to expectations and living up to your pick.
3. OLB Ronnell Lewis 6'2" 253 Oklahoma
4. RB Ronnie Hillman 5'9" 200 San Diego St
5.. TE Rhett Ellison 6'5" 251 USC
5. FS Aaron Henry 6'0" 208 Wisconsin
5. WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 182 Arkansas
6. OG Joe Looney 6'3" 309 Wake Forest
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:

You are on to something here. Sign Nicks, draft Brooks and use the first 2 rounds of the draft for other positions,i.e. BPA.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
You are on to something here. Sign Nicks, draft Brooks and use the first 2 rounds of the draft for other positions,i.e. BPA.
now you guys are starting to click. i am all about building our lines FIRST, then the rest will start to follow. great coaches ALWAYS have great lines. ie the steelers, the ravens the niners. etc. i love this brooks dude. brandon bengal brooks. has a nice ring to it. and he is one strong guy. big and powerful, just like we like and remember we now have COACH MCNALLY BACK IN THE FOLD, and he for sure knows linemen. i always wished we had kept him here, and i am glad he is back. i am starting to see some hope for this team. they have for sure put some good coaches in the fold. i am starting to get excited for us fans. like the brooks dude, bro.