Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3470
Default Re: Green-Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
"Fact" and "probably" don't really go together. At least you stuck to just the AFC. But facts are, he's not.
Fact is it's probably a fact in all probability.

I've been at the ol sauce again.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
Mendy = Franchise back. BJGE was allowed to walk. That says it all, if you don't understand that, you're a lost cause.
I do get that, so it's a good thing scheme matters and we're doing a running back by committee. That makes it kind of pointless to compare "franchise rb's" like Mendy to more situational players like Ellis. Besides, Mendy really isn't that great. He just isn't. 324 carries in 2010 isn't underutilized and he averaged less than the benchmark of 4.0. What a franchise back he most certainly is. Congrats
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13383

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggyDigital View Post
Seems a little early for such predictions, honey boo boo child.
You are the one going put and pumping your chest about how superior your Steelers team is so i thought you might want to be a man and back up once your stupid comments.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Hence they're not counting on him for 2012
Kevin Colbert said as much at the combine; They think he could be back in December but they're really not counting on him at all for 2012.
The reality is, regardless of what you think of the guy, this is a blessing in disguise; The Steelers have not been using the running game as much as they should, therefore it shouldn't be a big loss. The blessing; His contract runs out at the end of the season and likely just got a whole lot cheaper for what is at least a good back.

Seriously though, given his utilization (or lack thereof) I wouldn't consider his knee injury a big deal at all.
My point is ACL's and running backs are a very bad thing. Name the last great running back to tear an ACL and be as good as he was prior to the injury.

Greggy is naive enough to think he will be back in 10 months from an ACL tear. I think he is dead wrong. One cut and goodbye ACL again.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
You are the one going put and pumping your chest about how superior your Steelers team is so i thought you might want to be a man and back up once your stupid comments.
Man up? Like when I said during the season that the Steelers would win by a touchdown both in Pittsburgh and Cinci.

Which, I was right about...

I can't control who else the Steelers or Cinci signs. Or, who gets hurts.

So, making a bet on a game that is months in advance is silly. Saying right now you have one offensive skill player that could start on the Steelers is based on a lot of evidence.

Hopefully you can see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2
QB pressures are better than sacks.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
My point is ACL's and running backs are a very bad thing. Name the last great running back to tear an ACL and be as good as he was prior to the injury.

Greggy is naive enough to think he will be back in 10 months from an ACL tear. I think he is dead wrong. One cut and goodbye ACL again.
Colbert said they treat these as year long injuries but clarified later to say that the teams needs to approach the injury as such so it's prepared for a set back. Considering Mendenhall is still a Steeler and entering the last year of his contract, it's pretty safe to assume they believe he will be back?

Right?

Barring anything else, I would expect him to be back in week 7.

But, to answer your question, Ronnie Brown. Before him, Deuce Mcallister in 05.

Quote:

Last edited by GreggyDigital; 04-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I don't know why you had to throw the word 'great' in there. That has nothing to do with the subject if we're talking about a back's effectiveness post-surgery. So let's remove that word since it's completely irrelevant.
Willis McGahee

From his last game before going pro.
Bonus 2 more ligaments torn than that of Mendenhall. Mcgahee was great for Buffalo until further injury concerns cropped up, all of which unrelated to his knee.
Over 8000 yards and 60 TD's since his knee exploded.

Last edited by Asmith(DE); 04-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know why you had to throw the word 'great' in there. That has nothing to do with the subject if we're talking about a back's effectiveness post-surgery. So let's remove that word since it's completely irrelevant.
Willis McGahee

Bonus 2 more ligaments torn than that of Mendenhall. Mcgahee was great for Buffalo until further injury concerns cropped up, all of which unrelated to his knee.
His leg tacoed.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Willis McGahee

We are talking about a injury less than one year. McGahee had a lousy rookie year if I remember correctly. Greggy mentioned Ronnie Brown and again had a down year after injury.Deuce was never the same either after the injury.

My point simply is a RB is not likely to be effective if they play less than one year after an ACL and Colbert said it correctly the first time. They will be able to use the injury designation on one guy in 2012 (new rule) if he is not ready by week 7. Do they wated it on him? Depends on who else is injured and they can use it on?

I had major knee surgery. I remember having a conversation with my surgeon. The issue is not only the knee, but the knee cap. The knee caps can easily be broken in less than a year with direct contact or if you fall directly on it. Mendy will not be efffective in 2012 in my opinion and Colbert knows it too.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
We are talking about a injury less than one year. McGahee had a lousy rookie year if I remember correctly. Greggy mentioned Ronnie Brown and again had a down year after injury.Deuce was never the same either after the injury.

My point simply is a RB is not likely to be effective if they play less than one year after an ACL and Colbert said it correctly the first time. They will be able to use the injury designation on one guy in 2012 (new rule) if he is not ready by week 7. Do they wated it on him? Depends on who else is injured and they can use it on?

I had major knee surgery. I remember having a conversation with my surgeon. The issue is not only the knee, but the knee cap. The knee caps can easily be broken in less than a year with direct contact or if you fall directly on it. Mendy will not be efffective in 2012 in my opinion and Colbert knows it too.
Ronnie Brown had a fine year after he was injured. That's my point.

2006 1000 yards rushing, 4.2 yards a carry, 5 touchdowns.
2007 - Injured season (he was having a great year but only through 6 1/2 games.)
2008 - 916 yards rushing, 4.1 yards a carry, 10 touchdowns.

Also, that Green-Ellis isn't an upgrade over Benson.

Quote:

Last edited by GreggyDigital; 04-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: rfaulk34 is dumb, BTB is dumber...However Neek is the Mt. Everest of dumb….
Rep Points: 28076

Quote:

Wait a minute...aren't you the same guy that had a daughter that had a level 9 high ankle sprain and still scored all 16 of her team goals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30163

Quote:
Are you two the same person?
Both levels of smack are roughly of the grade 6 level. Step it up kiddies.

And for the record, Benjarvis Green Ellis is the best name in the NFL hands down. That's a lawfirm name, that's money bro.
I believe it was Also the Biggest named signed this offseason....

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcitysouth View Post
wait a minute...aren't you the same guy that had a daughter that had a level 9 high ankle sprain and still scored all 16 of her team goals?
lolololol.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Wait a minute...aren't you the same guy that had a daughter that had a level 9 high ankle sprain and still scored all 16 of her team goals?
Aren't you the guy who said it couldn't be done and then Gronk plays in the Super Bowl proving it can be done.

Also to Greggy, Ronnie Brown was hurt in November and Mendy in December which is a big difference. A month is a big deal coming back. Mendy is not Carson Palmer.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Aren't you the guy who said it couldn't be done and then Gronk plays in the Super Bowl proving it can be done.

Also to Greggy, Ronnie Brown was hurt in November and Mendy in December which is a big difference. A month is a big deal coming back. Mendy is not Carson Palmer.
I said he would start on the PUP.

Ronnie didn't even do that.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Man up? Like when I said during the season that the Steelers would win by a touchdown both in Pittsburgh and Cinci.

Which, I was right about...

I can't control who else the Steelers or Cinci signs. Or, who gets hurts.

So, making a bet on a game that is months in advance is silly. Saying right now you have one offensive skill player that could start on the Steelers is based on a lot of evidence.

Hopefully you can see the difference.
Three Bengals backs and receivers would start for the Steelers,IMO. AJ Green,obviously. Chris Pressley would start at FB easily. Most NFL fans would take Jermaine Gresham over Heath Miller,as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Three Bengals backs and receivers would start for the Steelers,IMO. AJ Green,obviously. Chris Pressley would start at FB easily. Most NFL fans would take Jermaine Gresham over Heath Miller,as well.
And still only 1 skill position, like GD already said.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1018

Quote:
You could add whit and smith on there for the line....rb is a draw.....Ellis has not played with cincy yet but I really don't get why people don't think Ellis is a decent upgrade from benson...he finds the end zone....I do think alot has to do with that patriot offense but he still got in...same could be said why his carries are down as well...he was in a pass happy offense....not bad stats for a third or 4th option....now on defense geno and Dunlap for sure....hall would certainly contend when healthy....the gap between cincy and Pitt and Baltimore is close....we def have more to prove based on the steelers and ravens past reputation for being dominant in the afc north
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

I agree that a RB is unlikely to be very effective (and imo, shouldn't even be played)

However, I was responding to a single post, and you were not talking about merely the following season:

Quote:
This insinuated not just the following season.

And to be honest, a running back can be just as good the following season (given enough rehab time) but it's unlikely to ever be proven as any team with half a brain is going to put the player on what is essentially a pitch count.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Lol. Steelers may not even use a fullback...

And, I (and I would assume most NFL fans) would take Miller. They have comparable receiving numbers but Heath can actually block.

Plus, they don't need to spread him out to get him catches. That's not to bang on Gresham, he's a young kid with talent but Miller is considered to be one of the best TRUE tight ends in the NFL.

I fully expect the redzone numbers for Pittsburgh to look vastly better than they have in the last few years. Much of that will have to do with actually targeting Miller on the goal line.

So, yeah. 1.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
And to be honest, a running back can be just as good the following season (given enough rehab time) but it's unlikely to ever be proven as any team with half a brain is going to put the player on what is essentially a pitch count.
This.

But, he won't get it. He has a grade 175 brain sprain that hasn't healed yet.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
This.

But, he won't get it. He has a grade 175 brain sprain that hasn't healed yet.
Funny, you act like others don't get it when they disagree with you. I say Mendy is either ineffective or does not come back until at least November (long after game 7 as you suggest). You think he comes back and plays as if nothing happened after week 7. This is the disagreement. Time will tell who is is brain dead.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 04-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Funny, you act like others don't get it when they disagree with you. I say Mendy is either ineffective or does not come back until at least November (long after game 7 as you suggest). You think he comes back and plays as if nothing happened after week 7. This is the disagreement. Tome will tell who is is brain dead.
No.

To everything you said.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 91688

Please tell me people are not saying BJGE is anything better than an Avg back. We need to draft an early one.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Lol. Steelers may not even use a fullback...

And, I (and I would assume most NFL fans) would take Miller. They have comparable receiving numbers but Heath can actually block.

Plus, they don't need to spread him out to get him catches. That's not to bang on Gresham, he's a young kid with talent but Miller is considered to be one of the best TRUE tight ends in the NFL.

I fully expect the redzone numbers for Pittsburgh to look vastly better than they have in the last few years. Much of that will have to do with actually targeting Miller on the goal line.

So, yeah. 1.
With your suppossed new run philosophy,I think the Steelers will be back to using a FB a good deal,actually. Arians and his wide open offense are gone.

If we're going by fan vote,then Gresham would start,as he made the Pro Bowl this year and Miller didn't.

Miller is a better blocker,but Gresham is a better receiver. I like Miller as a player,don't get me wrong,but he has two 50+ catch seasons in his 7 year career,while Gresham has broken that barrier his first two years in the league with two different OC's and two different QB's. Gresham has 10 TD's the past two years,while Miller has 4,or to put in another way,Gresham had as many TD's his rookie year as Miller has the last two combined.

Miller is a very good two way TE,but isn't and never has been an elite talent. Gresham is also a very good two way TE,but is on the cusp of being great. I would give him the edge,personally,although it's not a point beyond debate. Both would definately get their snaps,but if Miller was declared the starter between them,I would say it would be more due to suspect T's that need all the help they can get than him being a better overall player.