Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7789
Default Re: Bengals Signed Jacob Bell. (BLEH) Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I'm hoping that he turns into something, but I'm not holding my breath. 55 sacks allowed in 109 games is huge.
Livings gave up 29 sacks in 52 career games. Livings is much worse. Had Livings played in 109 games with us he would have given up 61 sacks. Bell just had a bad season last year.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
Pshaw! Give me 20 years and I'll get this team 3 winnings seasons.
Yeah...if that's not considered bad...what is?

0-16...but we were 5-0 in the Preseason...I can just see it now. The metrics for success shifts to meet the circumstances.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Livings gave up 29 sacks in 52 career games. Livings is much worse. Had Livings played in 109 games with us he would have given up 61 sacks. Bell just had a bad season last year.
The Rams entire line was really bad. It's hard to judge one player in that context...but we essentially replaced Nate Livings with the Rams Nate Livings.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
The Rams entire line was really bad. It's hard to judge one player in that context...but we essentially replaced Nate Livings with the Rams Nate Livings.
I don't typically talk up signings, but I think Bell is better than people are giving him credit for, I really do think he just had a bad year.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I went to the St. Louis Rams message boards to try to get some insight on what the Rams fans thought of Bell.

Maybe I didn't go navigate the site well, but their fans aren't active on their message boards at all.

Are we crazy? Are they lame? Or both? :-)
There are some active Rams message board links in the Message Board site in my signature. Their team site message boards are relatively dead though.

They just signed Steve Smith from the Eagles.

Last edited by THE PISTONS; 04-07-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6800

Also Bell is not replacing Livings - Wharton is. Bell is depth.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Now how in the world would you know that? Dude has 100 times more starts than what we have at right guard right now......literally!

Its funny to me how many players come here as depth and end up being key role players in our season. But yet you are sooooooo sure that Bell is depth. Bell is depth.......worst case scenario.

Just because you hope to core of your body that he doesn't start doesn't mean that he won't. Just saying...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, we had 2 starting Guards enter free agency and re-signed neither. Until we either sign another Guard or draft one, I don't know that we can say Bell is depth. Right now, he's probably the starter. Hopefully we draft DeCastro!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1412

its impossible to please the experts on this board ! unless its Nicks or Grubbs , everyone else ***** . until you so called " experts " realize these are the type of signings the Bengals make , you'll never have a clue . you experts just love to argue !
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
There are some active Rams message board links in the Message Board site in my signature. Their team site message boards are relatively dead though.

They just signed Steve Smith from the Eagles.
Wow 2 days since anyone posted on the Rams message board on their official site.

Nobody can say Bengals nation is not a loyal fan base.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

Quote:
Bell is replacing Livings. Wharton is replacing Bobbie Williams.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7534

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcommish<2009> View Post
its impossible to please the experts on this board ! unless its Nicks or Grubbs , everyone else ***** . until you so called " experts " realize these are the type of signings the Bengals make , you'll never have a clue . you experts just love to argue !
This is how it works here. We sign a guy to a 1 year deal and the fans crap all over the signing. Same old cheap MB wahhh.

Then guy has a decent to avg year and the same fans cry foul and whine if the guy is not brought back and overpaid for.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23613
bengals Re: Bengals Signed Jacob Bell. (BLEH) Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Bell is replacing Livings. Wharton is replacing Bobbie Williams.
I highly doubt Wharton will be playing RG and Bell was a signing to add veteran depth.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I highly doubt Wharton will be playing RG and Bell was a signing to add veteran depth.
Maybe just MAYBE ! .He's a player that won't JUMP offsides. What a killer last year
Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12049

Bell is an OG out of Miami oh... There is a highly talented OG coming out Of Miami this year...

I have met brandOn brooks and the kid is very humble.. Maybe bell has some ties seeing it is the same school. I would be thrilled to get brooks in the 2nd or 3rd if we pass up on one in the first.

15- Gone But NEVER forgotten
Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7648

Bell will be traded for a SS before we cut him ala Orein Harris

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 921

hes helped block for 4 different runners that had 1000 yard seasons.. 2004 chris brown 1100yards... 2005,t. henry and c.brown split carries for over 1000 yards..2006,travis henry 1200yards.... 2007,lendale white 1100 yards...2008-11,steven jackson every year had well over 1200 yards...every year he has been in the nfl his runningback has had over 1000 yards..
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17571

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut813 View Post
Also says Whit gave up 4 sacks in the Playoff game.......Dont think so....Might be team sacks not individual sacks gave up.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/...drew-Whitworth
Mhm, Bell gave up all of 4 sacks this year alone.

3 in 2010
2 in 2009
And 4 in 2008.

Sorry Sunset, but whatever site you're using is so pathetically incorrect, its insane.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17571

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBug View Post
Bell is an OG out of Miami oh... There is a highly talented OG coming out Of Miami this year...

I have met brandOn brooks and the kid is very humble.. Maybe bell has some ties seeing it is the same school. I would be thrilled to get brooks in the 2nd or 3rd if we pass up on one in the first.
Makes sense, and Brooks is DAMN good.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390

Quote:
No signings complaints. When we have untested youth there are complaints that we need veteran depth. We sign veteran depth there are complaints that they are terrible. It is just the way of the Bengals message boards.

I would be willing to bet that many complaining about the signing have never EVER seen the guy play.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3231
bengals Re: Bengals Signed Jacob Bell. (BLEH) Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb1983 View Post
hes helped block for 4 different runners that had 1000 yard seasons.. 2004 chris brown 1100yards... 2005,t. henry and c.brown split carries for over 1000 yards..2006,travis henry 1200yards.... 2007,lendale white 1100 yards...2008-11,steven jackson every year had well over 1200 yards...every year he has been in the nfl his runningback has had over 1000 yards..
A thousand yards ain't all that special. A lot of people on here hate on Cedric Benson and how bad our interior line was last season and he got a 1,000 yards.

Jacob Bell's an ok veteran guard, I don't think he's terrible, but I think if a DeCastro or a Glenn is available at #17/#21 then we should take them. It also frees us up a little bit to take BPA rather than need if we wanted to, but I would prefer to solidify one of our guard spots for the next 10 years rather than band aid both guard spots with two veterans for a couple of years.

Also I remember reading somewhere a couple of years back where it said like Bell was considered one of the better guards in the NFL, yet something statistically wise showed that he was one of the worst in some particular area. Forget the statistic and where I read it or I'd link. I think he's great for some depth at OG and maybe RT and at least one (if not more) injury is going to occur on the offensive line at some point. I'm hoping that this was the plan in signing Bell, but if he is here to start we're still better off than last season (not much but improving is improving).
Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2504

Quote:
Exactly. Wharton has always played on the left side whether it be LG or LT and that is exactly what he was brought here to play. Bell has also been a LG which makes him the backup to Wharton. Boling has been listed at RG since he got here and Hudson will also play the RG spot.

Livings spot = Wharton
Williams spot = Boling or Hudson or draft pick

Bell is simply a backup left guard IF he makes the team at all. I could see the guards being Wharton/Boling at LG and DeCastro or Glenn/Hudson at RG to start the season still. If Bell stays on the team as a backup guard hopefully it will be a sign he is healthy and playing well with a lot of game experience. Nothing to get worked up about yet. If Paul Alexander develops a man crush a la Livings on this guy then hit the panic button.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

Not a bad pick up I really liked him before his time with the Rams I think Wharton and Bell are up grade over what we had last year that being said I would still invest an early pick at guar
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
A thousand yards ain't all that special. A lot of people on here hate on Cedric Benson and how bad our interior line was last season and he got a 1,000 yards.

Jacob Bell's an ok veteran guard, I don't think he's terrible, but I think if a DeCastro or a Glenn is available at #17/#21 then we should take them. It also frees us up a little bit to take BPA rather than need if we wanted to, but I would prefer to solidify one of our guard spots for the next 10 years rather than band aid both guard spots with two veterans for a couple of years.

Also I remember reading somjjewhere a couple of years back where it said like Bell was considered one of the better guards in the NFL, yet something statistically wise showed that he was one of the worst in some particular area. Forget the statistic and where I read it or I'd link. I think he's great for some depth at OG and maybe RT and at least one (if not more) injury is going to occur on the offensive line at some point. I'm hoping that this was the plan in signing Bell, but if he is here to start we're still better off than last season (not much but improving is improving).
It may not be as special as it once was but still only about 12-13 backs get a 1000 yards a season. So it's still nothing to scoff at
Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
Exactly. Wharton has always played on the left side whether it be LG or LT and that is exactly what he was brought here to play. Bell has also been a LG which makes him the backup to Wharton. Boling has been listed at RG since he got here and Hudson will also play the RG spot.

Livings spot = Wharton
Williams spot = Boling or Hudson or draft pick

Bell is simply a backup left guard IF he makes the team at all. I could see the guards being Wharton/Boling at LG and DeCastro or Glenn/Hudson at RG to start the season still. If Bell stays on the team as a backup guard hopefully it will be a sign he is healthy and playing well with a lot of game experience. Nothing to get worked up about yet. If Paul Alexander develops a man crush a la Livings on this guy then hit the panic button.
Boling isn't big enough to play RG in the Bengals scheme unless he adds weight and strength over the offseason. That's possible I suppose.