Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7573
Default Re: Okoye signs 1 yr deal with Bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
And apparantly you only make the playoffs 3 times in 22 years with 0 playoff wins by signing value free agents.
Its works for other teams who win super bowls.

Name the last team with a large single offseason FA splurge to even make the playoffs.

The Bengals have the right idea. Execution has just been lacking.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
There it is!

And if the Bengals signed Finnegan over Clements and Allen, people would be talking about how awesome that move was too.

You are exactly right neek!
Actually not at all. I personally do not agree with big time free agency and that has been my m.o since posting here. I just do not think its necessary. Btw guys finnegan was a nickel corner last year hardly worth the coin. And honestly paying what the bills paid for a guy in Mario that has not had over 10 sacks in a season since 2008 is ridiculous.
IMO

The Bengals org screws up on just about every front but I have no problem with their approach to FA
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
Actually not at all. I personally do not agree with big time free agency and that has been my m.o since posting here. I just do not think its necessary. Btw guys finnegan was a nickel corner last year hardly worth the coin. And honestly paying what the bills paid for a guy in Mario that has not had over 10 sacks in a season since 2008 is ridiculous.
IMO

The Bengals org screws up on just about every front but I have no problem with their approach to FA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
I'll take you up on that bet.

Saints in for a tough year with the HC being suspended, and players still might get some suspensions as well.

And the OL of Tampa Bay is looking shaping up to be one of the best in the NFL.
LT Donald Penn, LG Carl Nicks, C Jeremy Zuttah, RG Davin Joseph, RT Jeremy Trueblood

Mike Williams discovered he's not ready yet to be the #1 WR, but he's one heckuva #2. Insert VJax.
Freeman had a down year, because he didn't have enough time to wait for his WR's to get open deep. Insert VJax and Nicks, LG Zuttah to C to replace their version of Guicheck, Jeff Faine.

The Bucs run the Air Coryell style offense and so does San Diego, so VJax won't need as much time to adjust to a new team as is normally the case when a high profile FA switches teams.

If they draft Trent Richardson like I think they will, then their Offense is going to be down right nasty.

Gerald McCoy is back after being injured early in the season last year, (the whole reason they Bucs even went after Haynesworth in the first place), Wright is an iffy signing, but Barber is back as well. Their defense wasn't too bad, but when you play two of the top Offensive Juggernaughts 4 times a year, you're stats are gonna appear to be worse than they really are.

Besides, lately they are like us, up one year down the next. So technically speaking, this year should be their up year.
Ok then let's do this. Bucs finish below 8-8 and u wear my handmade sig through the 2013pffseason. Same thing vice versa. Sig bets are fun
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
I'll take you up on that bet.

Saints in for a tough year with the HC being suspended, and players still might get some suspensions as well.

And the OL of Tampa Bay is looking shaping up to be one of the best in the NFL.
LT Donald Penn, LG Carl Nicks, C Jeremy Zuttah, RG Davin Joseph, RT Jeremy Trueblood

Mike Williams discovered he's not ready yet to be the #1 WR, but he's one heckuva #2. Insert VJax.
Freeman had a down year, because he didn't have enough time to wait for his WR's to get open deep. Insert VJax and Nicks, LG Zuttah to C to replace their version of Guicheck, Jeff Faine.

The Bucs run the Air Coryell style offense and so does San Diego, so VJax won't need as much time to adjust to a new team as is normally the case when a high profile FA switches teams.

If they draft Trent Richardson like I think they will, then their Offense is going to be down right nasty.

Gerald McCoy is back after being injured early in the season last year, (the whole reason they Bucs even went after Haynesworth in the first place), Wright is an iffy signing, but Barber is back as well. Their defense wasn't too bad, but when you play two of the top Offensive Juggernaughts 4 times a year, you're stats are gonna appear to be worse than they really are.

Besides, lately they are like us, up one year down the next. So technically speaking, this year should be their up year.
Trueblood is godawful

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

Quote:
Its works for other teams who win super bowls.

Name the last team with a large single offseason FA splurge to even make the playoffs.

The Bengals have the right idea. Execution has just been lacking.
It's not even about signing "big names". There is a HUGE gap the Elite guys available and the guys that we signed. If you look at the majority of the mocks or draft coverage shows they usually state "Cincinnati has many needs so they can go a few different directions". There is no reason we should still have many needs. Yes you can argue (and probably will) that we really don't have that many needs, but we do.

We signed two DT's because we created those needs.
We signed a RB because ours was a bone head.
We signed a #3 CB when we needed a starter.

Wharton is really the only signing we made that took care of a need. WR/Guard/CB/Safety are all spots we still need. If we would have went out and signed two starters in FA, which we could have and still signed everyone else that we did, we would have our first round narrowed down.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
It's not even about signing "big names". There is a HUGE gap the Elite guys available and the guys that we signed. If you look at the majority of the mocks or draft coverage shows they usually state "Cincinnati has many needs so they can go a few different directions". There is no reason we should still have many needs. Yes you can argue (and probably will) that we really don't have that many needs, but we do.

We signed two DT's because we created those needs.
We signed a RB because ours was a bone head.
We signed a #3 CB when we needed a starter.

Wharton is really the only signing we made that took care of a need. WR/Guard/CB/Safety are all spots we still need. If we would have went out and signed two starters in FA, which we could have and still signed everyone else that we did, we would have our first round narrowed down.
THIS... But I don't hate our free agency by any means... A lot can happen before during and after the draft... And all the way up to the start of the season
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Ok then let's do this. Bucs finish below 8-8 and u wear my handmade sig through the 2013pffseason. Same thing vice versa. Sig bets are fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_O_Bengal View Post
THIS... But I don't hate our free agency by any means... A lot can happen before during and after the draft... And all the way up to the start of the season
The point of our free agency was to get us to the point where we can be wide open in the draft. Mission accomplished.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

Quote:
The point of our free agency was to get us to the point where we can be wide open in the draft. Mission accomplished.
That is exactly what we didn't do.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
That is exactly what we didn't do.