Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 818
Default WhodeyinPA Mock 3.0 - Full 1st Round and Complete Bengals - POST RIVERS TRADE

View my Mock 2.0 HERE

This is the 3rd installment of my 2012 Mock Draft and the first time I've put up my interpretation of the first round. In my opinion the draft is going to be pretty boring for the first 6 picks as I imagine they'll all be locks and 7-8 I'm pretty sure about as well. I've shaken up my picks for the bengals compared to the last time I did a mock just by following obvious buzz and taking observations of team's obvious needs.

1.) Colts – Andrew Luck: Quarterback [Stanford]
-The Colts officially get the man who had been synonymous with the #1 overall pick for the last two seasons. A true gem of a player.

2.) Redskins – Robert Griffin III: Quarterback [Baylor]
-Redskins pay a king's ransom to get here but they take the man who they feel will be their leader for the next 10 years. Can't argue with this pick.

3.) Vikings – Matt Kalil: Offensive Tackle [USC]
-Fills a need for the Vikes and gives insurance for their #1 overall pick last year, Christian Ponder. They could trade down but the value is too good to pass on a guy who I feel is the best Tackle in the draft since Jake Long

4.) Browns – Trent Richardson: Running Back [Alabama]
-Feature backs who carry a workload are a dying breed but Richardson bucks the trend. He gives the Browns a reliable threat in the backfield and is a more versatile player than Peyton Hillis was.

5.) Buccaneers – Morris Claiborne: Cornerback [LSU]
-Wonderlic scores considered the Bucs still need a Corner and there's no better one than this man. Barber is aging and Talib is always in trouble so Claiborne should provide some stability at the position.

6.) Rams – Justin Blackmon: Wide Receiver [Oklahoma State]
-The Rams finally provide Sam Bradford with a viable target out wide. Steven Jackson should be pleased as well since it should make teams stop putting 8 and 9 men in the box to stuff the run.

7.) Jaguars – Melvin Ingram: Defensive End [South Carolina]
-Almost went with Tackle Riley Reiff here but the Jags are in dire need of a pass rusher and I feel Ingram is a safer pick than Coples who should be one of the better defensive players for the team from Day 1.

8.) Dolphins – Ryan Tannehill: Quarterback [Texas A&M]
-It's a reach but the Dolphins learned in the early free agency period that no quarterback wanted to play for them. After trading Marshall to Chicago I wouldn't blame them but Tannehill's mobility gives them a better chance to be successful without a play making wideout than anyone on the roster now.

9.) Panthers – Quinton Coples: Defensive End [North Carolina]
-Can be considered a high risk, high reward type of player. I wouldn't consider the risk to be too high and his ceiling is much higher than his risk factor. Could bring back that Julius Peppers type force on the D-Line Carolina has been missing.

10.) Cowboys *- Dontari Poe: Defensive Tackle [Memphis]
-Speaking of risks theres no bigger one in the draft than this man. I'm not exactly high on him but articles have been circulating that Jerry Jones certainly is. After dropping past Carolina Jones gives up a mid rounder to take the workout warrior from Memphis (with his fingers crossed).

11.) Cheifs – David DeCastro: Offensive Guard [Stanford]
-The Chiefs would certainly welcome some help to their offensive line and DeCastro gives them a perennial All-Pro Talent who can deliver from opening day.

12.) Seahawks – Luke Kuechly: Inside Linebacker [Boston College]
- The Hawks need a new anchor to their defense and this guy is the one player left on the board who can deliver that. He's had unprecedented and eye popping numbers at BC that will have his defensive coaches and Pete Carroll salivating.

13.) Cardinals – Riley Reiff: Offensive Tackle [Iowa]
-The Cardinals are another teams who would have loved to see DeCastro fall to them but Reiff gives them a solid tackle who can hopefully move into the left tackle role after a year or two. Former first rounder Levi Brown isn't the answer there.

14.) Bills*- Michael Floyd: Wide Receiver [Notre Dame]
- The Bills trade down a couple spots to give Ryan Fitzpatrick and the offense another playmaker on the outside to pair with Stevie Johnson. Floyd should draw some coverage towards him allowing the speedy Johnson to find himself some room.

15.) Eagles – Fletcher Cox: Defensive Tackle [Mississippi State]
-Cox gives an inside force to the Eagles D who could have an immediate impact with offensive lines already having to focus on Jason Babin from the outside.

16.) Jets – Mark Barron: Safety [Alabama]
- The Jets are in need of some safety help after not being able to lure Reggie Nelson away from Bengaldom. Barron gives them the best prospect in the draft and should be lock as a day one starter for Rex Ryan's Gang Green D.

17.) Bengals – Kendall Wright: Wide Receiver [Baylor]
- Courtney Upshaw could also be an extreme possibility considering the noted interest Marvin Lewis has in him. Dre Kirkpatrick would be another possibility although less likely now that Terrance Newman has been signed. Wright gives us a valid #2 wide receiver on the roster and brings another playmaker to the offense. No doubt that Floyd would be a better fit but I don’t think we get the opportunity to select him.

18.) Chargers – Courtney Upshaw: Outside Linebacker [Alabama]
-Upshaw gives the Charger defense a hybrid guy who can both play standing up on the outside and putting his hand in the dirt. If used properly he can be an impact early on and hopefully bring back the production Shawn Merriman had at one point in time.

19.) Bears – Whitney Mercilus: Defensive End [Illinois]
-Gives the bears a good young talent at a position where they have a great leader and teacher in Julius Peppers. This could accelerate Mercilus' development and get the most of his potential. I think it's a good match for them.

20.) Titans – Stephon Gilmore: Cornerback [South Carolina]
-Although the Titans made sure they got a corner in free agency after losing Cortland Finnigan to the Rams, they should add somebody who can play well in their system as an insurance policy. Gilmore is that guy and could start at the #2 corner.

21.) Bengals – Cordy Glenn: Guard [Georgia]
-This guy is the size of a mountain and is an animal in the running game. This is the kind of guy that can come in and provide some devastating blocks from day 1 at the right guard spot. He also has the ability to slide out to tackle if need be and the value of that cannot be understated in a season as grueling as the NFL’s.

22.) Browns – Jonathan Martin: Offensive Tackle [Stanford]
-Provides another cog for a very underrated offensive line in Cleveland. Standing opposite of Joe Thomas who together bookend center Alex Mack provide a formidable blocking game that should aid Colt McCoy and new talent Trent Richardson.

23.) Lions – Dre Kirkpatrick: Cornerback [Alabama]
-The Lions have needed help at corner for a very long time and now they finally get the boost they need. Kirkpatrick was at one point last year considered to be one of the top 5 overall prospects in the draft and the best corner overall. His play hasn’t dropped off but his personal conduct has. The pros outweigh the cons and this is a value that can’t be missed.

24.) Steelers – Dont’a Hightower: Inside Linebacker [Alabama]
-Not exactly a reach but not a good value either. The Steelers could honestly care less. With the departure of James Farrior and an overall aging defense, the steelers are quickly trying to pick up pieces to get younger and Hightower is a man who they feel could anchor them for the future.

25.) Broncos - Michael Brockers: Defensive Tackle [LSU]
-A young and athletic front 7 of the Denver defense become even more so with the addition of one of the best defensive line prospects in the country. I have him falling more than other mock drafts just based on team needs and offseason pickups but that won’t stop the Broncos from picking up this big man in the middle.

26.) Texans – Coby Fleener: Tight End [Stanford]
-The Texans still have Owen Daniels but they recently lost a good under the radar talent in Joel Dreesen who added a bundle of bigs plays in the Texans first playoff campaign in 2011. Coby Fleener will try to replace him in 2012 and beyond bringing a mix of blocking and receiving skills that make him headline 2012’s tight end class.

27.) Patriots – Mike Adams: Offensive Tackle [Ohio State]
-Matt Light recently retired so they should look to bring in more talent at the offensive line. It looks like they hit last year on Tackle Nate Solder but it wouldn’t hurt to add more talent to protect their all-pro quarterback. He should fit in well after learning the “patriot way” of Foxborough.

28.) Packers – Nick Perry: Defensive End [USC]
-Solid addition to a Green Bay defense that took some hits in the 2011 season that ultimately proved to be the teams downfall that year. Perry is a decent all-around prospect who is by no means a reach here. This draft is full of defensive lineman and Perry would have gotten a lot more press had this not been such a good year for the front 4 guys.

29.) Ravens – Peter Konz: Center [Wisconsin]
-Matt Birk is on the back burner of his career and Joe Flacco needs all the protection he can get no matter how good he claims he is. Konz is from Wisconsin who is known for churning out some of the best offensive lineman in the country. He’s smart, strong, and athletic. All 3 traits are valued in starting centers.

30.) 49ers – Stephen Hill: Wide Receiver [Georgia Tech]
-Not necessarily a need for the 49ers but it gives them a good talent that they can develop in the future. The defense is rock solid but the receiving core could use some help. Randy Moss is only under contract for the current year in hopes of getting a ring and the jury is still out on how good Crabtree really is.

31.) Patriots – Janoris Jenkins: Cornerback [North Alabama]
-The “Patriot Way” strikes again. They take a troubled talent with an extremely high playmaking ability that they hope to straighten out and form into a shutdown corner of the future. Jenkins has all the ability to do this it’s just all a matter of if he’s able to keep the handcuffs off of him.

32.) Giants – Lamar Miller: Running Back [Miami (FL)]
-After losing Brandon Jacobs to the 49ers they could use some more backfield talent. Bradshaw isn’t getting any younger and although Miller isn’t anything close to the power back that Jacobs was, he is a homerun threat and every team could use one of those if they don’t have them already.

Remainder of Bengals Draft
2. Doug Martin: Running Back [Boise State]
-The Bengals brought the Law Firm into town but that doesn’t mean their backfield is complete. Doug Martin is a more complete prospect than Green-Ellis is now. In fact it makes more sense to take a running back in round two than it did before we brought in BJGE since there’s no pressure for him to perform right away. He’ll split carries with Benjarvus and Bernard Scott and is also an accomplished blocking back making him useful on all 3 downs.
3. Brandon Taylor: Safety [LSU]
-The only two safeties that seem to get any kind of press are Barron and Smith from ND but Brandon Taylor is an under the radar guy who is full of potential. I don’t think there’s much of a difference between Taylor and Mark Barron. That’s not to say that Taylor is a better prospect because he isn’t, but Taylor was a starting safety who made big plays in the SEC just like Barron so he’d be a bit of a steal for a guy projected to be a bottom of the 3rd round pick.
4. Marvin McNutt: Wide Receiver [Iowa]
-Is supposedly being looked at by the Bengals coaching staff and for good reason. Depending on how high they are on them they might even end up reaching for him with a 3rd rounder although I doubt it. McNutt is more of a strong possession receiver who would probably be the closest thing we’ve seen to TJ back in the Palmer era. I think he’s a better #2 prospect than Wright who I have us taking in the first round but there’s no such thing as too many good receivers in the NFL these days.
5. Evan Rodriguez: Tight End [Temple]
-Evan would perfectly complement the system in that he’s of a similar skill set to Gresham in that he’s a big strong receiving tight end. He’s got a ways to go in developing his blocking game but that’s not what we’ll need him for. This could allow us to do more with 2 TE sets and possibly flex out Gresham more while still have a down tight end. Think of the Hernandez and Gronk in New England but with two Hernandez’s.
5. DaJohn Harris: Defensive Tackle [USC]
-The Bengals are probably still looking to bring in another defensive tackle prospect after not getting Amobi Okoye from Chicago. DaJohn isn’t a very flashy player but he can give us consistent production with some sparks of pure brilliance. He could fill in for Fanene nicely if he’s the player I think he can be.
5. Lucas Nix: Offensive Guard [Pittsburgh]
-A quality prospect to bring in for depth. He could grow into being a potential starter and I’ve seen this kid play multiple times so I have a good idea of what he can do. He would fit in well as a left guard or possibly a center. He has nice agility and quickness but needs strength which of course can be improved. We don’t exactly have a great interior line so more pieces can never hurt.
6. Blair Walsh: Kicker [Georgia]
-With Nugent being tagged and having not yet signed his tender I wouldn’t rule the Bengals out of using one of their later picks on a kicker, specifically Walsh. He was a little shaky his senior season but for the most part of his career for the Bulldogs he was a clutch kicker with a lot of power behind that leg. He may not make the final roster but it would be a safe choice if Nugent doesn’t sign his tender or a long term deal by the 3rd day of the draft.

* - Bills Trade Pick #10 to the Cowboys for pick #14 and a 2012 3rd round selection

Let me know what you guys think of this mock. It may not be perfect but I find it to be extremely realistic although with on average of 6 first day trades in the draft it probably won’t be accurate. I worked pretty hard on this so feedback would be greatly appreciated both positive and constructive.
WHO DEY!!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Default Re: WhodeyinPA Mock 3.0 - Full 1st Round and Complete Bengals - POST RIVERS TRADE

Also please let me know if I made any spelling errors with players names or if I possibly put a wrong position or school. I just finished this and immediately put it up. I plan on checking over it a bit later but letting me know if I missed anything would be a great help. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1311
Default Re: WhodeyinPA Mock 3.0 - Full 1st Round and Complete Bengals - POST RIVERS TRADE

Lots of talent added to the roster with this draft. Unfortunately, it doesn't address our need for a CB. I know we brought in a bunch of old guys, but we really need to bring in a young guy that we don't have to rush into a starting role.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Knowledge View Post
Lots of talent added to the roster with this draft. Unfortunately, it doesn't address our need for a CB. I know we brought in a bunch of old guys, but we really need to bring in a young guy that we don't have to rush into a starting role.
Well I did say Kirkpatrick could be a likely option at 17 and you could also throw Gilmore and Jenkins into the equation. I find it unlikely now that we draft a corner this year although next year we could go corner in the first. The only way we draft a corner in the 1st this year is if they'll completely sold on someone and he's still on the board at our pick. They won't reach for someone since we don't exactly have it as big of a need as #2 wideout or the guard spots.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

I just don't like this mock because I'm not a fan of drafting a WR in the first round since we could get a good WR in the 3rd, 4th, or one of 3 fifth rounds. I'm starting to fall in love with the DE, MLB, OLB in the first round since River's is gone and Rey could be gone next year as for DE I'm on the fence about Michael Johnson is going to be the main guy on the opposite end but I will watch him closely next year to see how good he does. S I'm sure is good since I believe were giving Mays his long overdue chance at starting a season. RB i can see getting snatched in the 2nd. If DeCastro falls to 17 he is going to be picked up by cincy if not I may punt a baby in blind rage but other then that I can see a CB being drafted in the 5th (Some where). But how this draft is you just can't mocked since it because how were positioned in this draft. We all have our favorites and some man crushes but we just have to hold down our hearts and what ever you have for someone (not wanting details) since we could not draft the person we love or want so we just got to see what happens.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalFan54 View Post
I just don't like this mock because I'm not a fan of drafting a WR in the first round since we could get a good WR in the 3rd, 4th, or one of 3 fifth rounds. I'm starting to fall in love with the DE, MLB, OLB in the first round since River's is gone and Rey could be gone next year as for DE I'm on the fence about Michael Johnson is going to be the main guy on the opposite end but I will watch him closely next year to see how good he does. S I'm sure is good since I believe were giving Mays his long overdue chance at starting a season. RB i can see getting snatched in the 2nd. If DeCastro falls to 17 he is going to be picked up by cincy if not I may punt a baby in blind rage but other then that I can see a CB being drafted in the 5th (Some where). But how this draft is you just can't mocked since it because how were positioned in this draft. We all have our favorites and some man crushes but we just have to hold down our hearts and what ever you have for someone (not wanting details) since we could not draft the person we love or want so we just got to see what happens.
DeCastro and Kuechly are my man crushes for this draft for but i doubt we get either of them. I'm not exactly high on a WR in the first either but I'm led to believe that's where we'd have to go in the first based on need. Upshaw could be a guy that we target at 17 but if we don't pick him up there then I don't see any way he slips past San Diego at 21. The only reason I didn't select Upshaw for my mock was the fact that I don't know how he'd fit in as a hybrid OLB/DE in our system.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodeyinPA View Post
DeCastro and Kuechly are my man crushes for this draft for but i doubt we get either of them. I'm not exactly high on a WR in the first either but I'm led to believe that's where we'd have to go in the first based on need. Upshaw could be a guy that we target at 17 but if we don't pick him up there then I don't see any way he slips past San Diego at 21. The only reason I didn't select Upshaw for my mock was the fact that I don't know how he'd fit in as a hybrid OLB/DE in our system.
I agree, I would love Upshaw, DeCastro, Kuenchly, or Hightower in this draft but only seeing only one getting picked up. as for RB i would like James for the 1-2 punch. WR don't really have a favorite and same with DB they just don't catch my eye with all the off field problems so I would rather wait for the 4-5th picks. The 3rd I would say WR or G.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360
bengals Re: WhodeyinPA Mock 3.0 - Full 1st Round and Complete Bengals - POST RIVERS TRADE

Dude you dont have us drafting a corner once. I liked the draft until i saw that. Take kendall right out of the first round and tell him to kick rocks. grab glenn there at 17 and Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, or Janoris Jenkins at 21. I like the value of Mccnut at 4. I think somewhere in between 3and pick 5a we need to grab and outside backer. We need a back up WILL backer behind Howard. Thats why id love to make an offer for Aaron Maybin only if NY doesnt match and not have to worry about OLB in the draft.
Good draft only really 1 change id make.

Go BENGALS!

Quote:
View my Mock 2.0 HERE

1.) Colts – Andrew Luck: Quarterback [Stanford]
-The Colts officially get the man who had been synonymous with the #1 overall pick for the last two seasons. A true gem of a player.

2.) Redskins – Robert Griffin III: Quarterback [Baylor]
-Redskins pay a king's ransom to get here but they take the man who they feel will be their leader for the next 10 years. Can't argue with this pick.

3.) Vikings – Matt Kalil: Offensive Tackle [USC]
-Fills a need for the Vikes and gives insurance for their #1 overall pick last year, Christian Ponder. They could trade down but the value is too good to pass on a guy who I feel is the best Tackle in the draft since Jake Long

4.) Browns – Trent Richardson: Running Back [Alabama]
-Feature backs who carry a workload are a dying breed but Richardson bucks the trend. He gives the Browns a reliable threat in the backfield and is a more versatile player than Peyton Hillis was.

5.) Buccaneers – Morris Claiborne: Cornerback [LSU]
-Wonderlic scores considered the Bucs still need a Corner and there's no better one than this man. Barber is aging and Talib is always in trouble so Claiborne should provide some stability at the position.

6.) Rams – Justin Blackmon: Wide Receiver [Oklahoma State]
-The Rams finally provide Sam Bradford with a viable target out wide. Steven Jackson should be pleased as well since it should make teams stop putting 8 and 9 men in the box to stuff the run.

7.) Jaguars – Melvin Ingram: Defensive End [South Carolina]
-Almost went with Tackle Riley Reiff here but the Jags are in dire need of a pass rusher and I feel Ingram is a safer pick than Coples who should be one of the better defensive players for the team from Day 1.

8.) Dolphins – Ryan Tannehill: Quarterback [Texas A&M]
-It's a reach but the Dolphins learned in the early free agency period that no quarterback wanted to play for them. After trading Marshall to Chicago I wouldn't blame them but Tannehill's mobility gives them a better chance to be successful without a play making wideout than anyone on the roster now.

9.) Panthers – Quinton Coples: Defensive End [North Carolina]
-Can be considered a high risk, high reward type of player. I wouldn't consider the risk to be too high and his ceiling is much higher than his risk factor. Could bring back that Julius Peppers type force on the D-Line Carolina has been missing.

10.) Cowboys *- Dontari Poe: Defensive Tackle [Memphis]
-Speaking of risks theres no bigger one in the draft than this man. I'm not exactly high on him but articles have been circulating that Jerry Jones certainly is. After dropping past Carolina Jones gives up a mid rounder to take the workout warrior from Memphis (with his fingers crossed).

11.) Cheifs – David DeCastro: Offensive Guard [Stanford]
-The Chiefs would certainly welcome some help to their offensive line and DeCastro gives them a perennial All-Pro Talent who can deliver from opening day.

12.) Seahawks – Luke Kuechly: Inside Linebacker [Boston College]
- The Hawks need a new anchor to their defense and this guy is the one player left on the board who can deliver that. He's had unprecedented and eye popping numbers at BC that will have his defensive coaches and Pete Carroll salivating.

13.) Cardinals – Riley Reiff: Offensive Tackle [Iowa]
-The Cardinals are another teams who would have loved to see DeCastro fall to them but Reiff gives them a solid tackle who can hopefully move into the left tackle role after a year or two. Former first rounder Levi Brown isn't the answer there.

14.) Bills*- Michael Floyd: Wide Receiver [Notre Dame]
- The Bills trade down a couple spots to give Ryan Fitzpatrick and the offense another playmaker on the outside to pair with Stevie Johnson. Floyd should draw some coverage towards him allowing the speedy Johnson to find himself some room.

15.) Eagles – Fletcher Cox: Defensive Tackle [Mississippi State]
-Cox gives an inside force to the Eagles D who could have an immediate impact with offensive lines already having to focus on Jason Babin from the outside.

16.) Jets – Mark Barron: Safety [Alabama]
- The Jets are in need of some safety help after not being able to lure Reggie Nelson away from Bengaldom. Barron gives them the best prospect in the draft and should be lock as a day one starter for Rex Ryan's Gang Green D.

17.) Bengals – Kendall Wright: Wide Receiver [Baylor]
- Courtney Upshaw could also be an extreme possibility considering the noted interest Marvin Lewis has in him. Dre Kirkpatrick would be another possibility although less likely now that Terrance Newman has been signed. Wright gives us a valid #2 wide receiver on the roster and brings another playmaker to the offense. No doubt that Floyd would be a better fit but I don’t think we get the opportunity to select him.

18.) Chargers – Courtney Upshaw: Outside Linebacker [Alabama]
-Upshaw gives the Charger defense a hybrid guy who can both play standing up on the outside and putting his hand in the dirt. If used properly he can be an impact early on and hopefully bring back the production Shawn Merriman had at one point in time.

19.) Bears – Whitney Mercilus: Defensive End [Illinois]
-Gives the bears a good young talent at a position where they have a great leader and teacher in Julius Peppers. This could accelerate Mercilus' development and get the most of his potential. I think it's a good match for them.

20.) Titans – Stephon Gilmore: Cornerback [South Carolina]
-Although the Titans made sure they got a corner in free agency after losing Cortland Finnigan to the Rams, they should add somebody who can play well in their system as an insurance policy. Gilmore is that guy and could start at the #2 corner.

21.) Bengals – Cordy Glenn: Guard [Georgia]
-This guy is the size of a mountain and is an animal in the running game. This is the kind of guy that can come in and provide some devastating blocks from day 1 at the right guard spot. He also has the ability to slide out to tackle if need be and the value of that cannot be understated in a season as grueling as the NFL’s.

22.) Browns – Jonathan Martin: Offensive Tackle [Stanford]
-Provides another cog for a very underrated offensive line in Cleveland. Standing opposite of Joe Thomas who together bookend center Alex Mack provide a formidable blocking game that should aid Colt McCoy and new talent Trent Richardson.

23.) Lions – Dre Kirkpatrick: Cornerback [Alabama]
-The Lions have needed help at corner for a very long time and now they finally get the boost they need. Kirkpatrick was at one point last year considered to be one of the top 5 overall prospects in the draft and the best corner overall. His play hasn’t dropped off but his personal conduct has. The pros outweigh the cons and this is a value that can’t be missed.

24.) Steelers – Dont’a Hightower: Inside Linebacker [Alabama]
-Not exactly a reach but not a good value either. The Steelers could honestly care less. With the departure of James Farrior and an overall aging defense, the steelers are quickly trying to pick up pieces to get younger and Hightower is a man who they feel could anchor them for the future.

25.) Broncos - Michael Brockers: Defensive Tackle [LSU]
-A young and athletic front 7 of the Denver defense become even more so with the addition of one of the best defensive line prospects in the country. I have him falling more than other mock drafts just based on team needs and offseason pickups but that won’t stop the Broncos from picking up this big man in the middle.

26.) Texans – Coby Fleener: Tight End [Stanford]
-The Texans still have Owen Daniels but they recently lost a good under the radar talent in Joel Dreesen who added a bundle of bigs plays in the Texans first playoff campaign in 2011. Coby Fleener will try to replace him in 2012 and beyond bringing a mix of blocking and receiving skills that make him headline 2012’s tight end class.

27.) Patriots – Mike Adams: Offensive Tackle [Ohio State]
-Matt Light recently retired so they should look to bring in more talent at the offensive line. It looks like they hit last year on Tackle Nate Solder but it wouldn’t hurt to add more talent to protect their all-pro quarterback. He should fit in well after learning the “patriot way” of Foxborough.

28.) Packers – Nick Perry: Defensive End [USC]
-Solid addition to a Green Bay defense that took some hits in the 2011 season that ultimately proved to be the teams downfall that year. Perry is a decent all-around prospect who is by no means a reach here. This draft is full of defensive lineman and Perry would have gotten a lot more press had this not been such a good year for the front 4 guys.

29.) Ravens – Peter Konz: Center [Wisconsin]
-Matt Birk is on the back burner of his career and Joe Flacco needs all the protection he can get no matter how good he claims he is. Konz is from Wisconsin who is known for churning out some of the best offensive lineman in the country. He’s smart, strong, and athletic. All 3 traits are valued in starting centers.

30.) 49ers – Stephen Hill: Wide Receiver [Georgia Tech]
-Not necessarily a need for the 49ers but it gives them a good talent that they can develop in the future. The defense is rock solid but the receiving core could use some help. Randy Moss is only under contract for the current year in hopes of getting a ring and the jury is still out on how good Crabtree really is.

31.) Patriots – Janoris Jenkins: Cornerback [North Alabama]
-The “Patriot Way” strikes again. They take a troubled talent with an extremely high playmaking ability that they hope to straighten out and form into a shutdown corner of the future. Jenkins has all the ability to do this it’s just all a matter of if he’s able to keep the handcuffs off of him.

32.) Giants – Lamar Miller: Running Back [Miami (FL)]
-After losing Brandon Jacobs to the 49ers they could use some more backfield talent. Bradshaw isn’t getting any younger and although Miller isn’t anything close to the power back that Jacobs was, he is a homerun threat and every team could use one of those if they don’t have them already.

Remainder of Bengals Draft
2. Doug Martin: Running Back [Boise State]
-The Bengals brought the Law Firm into town but that doesn’t mean their backfield is complete. Doug Martin is a more complete prospect than Green-Ellis is now. In fact it makes more sense to take a running back in round two than it did before we brought in BJGE since there’s no pressure for him to perform right away. He’ll split carries with Benjarvus and Bernard Scott and is also an accomplished blocking back making him useful on all 3 downs.
3. Brandon Taylor: Safety [LSU]
-The only two safeties that seem to get any kind of press are Barron and Smith from ND but Brandon Taylor is an under the radar guy who is full of potential. I don’t think there’s much of a difference between Taylor and Mark Barron. That’s not to say that Taylor is a better prospect because he isn’t, but Taylor was a starting safety who made big plays in the SEC just like Barron so he’d be a bit of a steal for a guy projected to be a bottom of the 3rd round pick.
4. Marvin McNutt: Wide Receiver [Iowa]
-Is supposedly being looked at by the Bengals coaching staff and for good reason. Depending on how high they are on them they might even end up reaching for him with a 3rd rounder although I doubt it. McNutt is more of a strong possession receiver who would probably be the closest thing we’ve seen to TJ back in the Palmer era. I think he’s a better #2 prospect than Wright who I have us taking in the first round but there’s no such thing as too many good receivers in the NFL these days.
5. Evan Rodriguez: Tight End [Temple]
-Evan would perfectly complement the system in that he’s of a similar skill set to Gresham in that he’s a big strong receiving tight end. He’s got a ways to go in developing his blocking game but that’s not what we’ll need him for. This could allow us to do more with 2 TE sets and possibly flex out Gresham more while still have a down tight end. Think of the Hernandez and Gronk in New England but with two Hernandez’s.
5. DaJohn Harris: Defensive Tackle [USC]
-The Bengals are probably still looking to bring in another defensive tackle prospect after not getting Amobi Okoye from Chicago. DaJohn isn’t a very flashy player but he can give us consistent production with some sparks of pure brilliance. He could fill in for Fanene nicely if he’s the player I think he can be.
5. Lucas Nix: Offensive Guard [Pittsburgh]
-A quality prospect to bring in for depth. He could grow into being a potential starter and I’ve seen this kid play multiple times so I have a good idea of what he can do. He would fit in well as a left guard or possibly a center. He has nice agility and quickness but needs strength which of course can be improved. We don’t exactly have a great interior line so more pieces can never hurt.
6. Blair Walsh: Kicker [Georgia]
-With Nugent being tagged and having not yet signed his tender I wouldn’t rule the Bengals out of using one of their later picks on a kicker, specifically Walsh. He was a little shaky his senior season but for the most part of his career for the Bulldogs he was a clutch kicker with a lot of power behind that leg. He may not make the final roster but it would be a safe choice if Nugent doesn’t sign his tender or a long term deal by the 3rd day of the draft.

* - Bills Trade Pick #10 to the Cowboys for pick #14 and a 2012 3rd round selection

Let me know what you guys think of this mock. WHO DEY!!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: WhodeyinPA Mock 3.0 - Full 1st Round and Complete Bengals - POST RIVERS TRADE

I about died when i read how you would react if we passed on decastro at 17 haha cant say id do anything different. Im a fan of grabbing upshaw or hightower at 21 if we are forced to go corner at 17 with both top tier OG's off the board. I guess im not completely against WR in the first either but only Floyd or Hill. not wright in round one tho. I think Michael is going to be good for us this year im predicting 8-10 sacks from him,which would be great production. I hope we snatch a RB in the second like u said u see us doing. hofully Martin is there or Wilson. I cant imagine how amazing David Wilson would be if he put on 10 lbs. would love them both in stripes. I guess what im saying is i agree with basicly everything ur saying.
Go BENGALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalFan54 View Post
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
Dude you dont have us drafting a corner once. I liked the draft until i saw that. Take kendall right out of the first round and tell him to kick rocks. grab glenn there at 17 and Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, or Janoris Jenkins at 21. I like the value of Mccnut at 4. I think somewhere in between 3and pick 5a we need to grab and outside backer. We need a back up WILL backer behind Howard. Thats why id love to make an offer for Aaron Maybin only if NY doesnt match and not have to worry about OLB in the draft.
Good draft only really 1 change id make.

Go BENGALS!
Our corners right now are

Leon Hall
Nate Clements
Terrance Newman
Pacman Jones
Jason Allen
Brandon Ghee
and (not sure 100%) Morgan Trent

and you want us to keep another corner on our roster?

It's unnecessary at this point unless a guy falls to them that they're completely sold on a guy who they feel is worth the pick. We're too piled up at the position in my opinion to take any corner. A high pick corner could be better put to addressing different needs or trading down to more picks. A low pick corner probably wouldn't make the roster. A lot of our current guys are only on 1 year deals so it makes much more sense to take one next year.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

I def agree with you here. I guess its not much of a glaring need when u see it like that, and drafting one next year does make perfect sense. For some reason i love jason allen to, i think he could be great here.

Quote:

Leon Hall
Nate Clements
Terrance Newman
Pacman Jones
Jason Allen
Brandon Ghee
and (not sure 100%) Morgan Trent

It's unnecessary at this point unless a guy falls to them that they're completely sold on a guy who they feel is worth the pick. We're too piled up at the position in my opinion to take any corner. A high pick corner could be better put to addressing different needs or trading down to more picks. A low pick corner probably wouldn't make the roster. A lot of our current guys are only on 1 year deals so it makes much more sense to take one next year.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:

Leon Hall
Nate Clements
Terrance Newman
Pacman Jones
Jason Allen
Brandon Ghee
and (not sure 100%) Morgan Trent - NO LONGER A BENGAL

I agree that the Bengals should HEAVILY consider a CB in the 1st.

I could see the Bengals going with 6 CB/ 4 Safeties, because Jason Allen can play safety in a pinch.

Hall could be on the PUP for the first 6 games.

If so, Clements/Pacman/Allen/Newman/Rookie would be great.

After Hall returns, the Bengals can cut another spot. RB, Dlinemen, Olinemen, or LB.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
I about died when i read how you would react if we passed on decastro at 17 haha cant say id do anything different. Im a fan of grabbing upshaw or hightower at 21 if we are forced to go corner at 17 with both top tier OG's off the board. I guess im not completely against WR in the first either but only Floyd or Hill. not wright in round one tho. I think Michael is going to be good for us this year im predicting 8-10 sacks from him,which would be great production. I hope we snatch a RB in the second like u said u see us doing. hofully Martin is there or Wilson. I cant imagine how amazing David Wilson would be if he put on 10 lbs. would love them both in stripes. I guess what im saying is i agree with basicly everything ur saying.
Go BENGALS!
I really would love a DeCastro but I have a question....what about Ben Jones from Georgia? He impressed me during the combine so I wouldn't mind him at all but if we get DeCastro at 17 and Ben Jones in the 4th or one of the 5ths I would poop golden bricks. There are just a lot of good players in this draft I would be happy to get and I see a lot of production with these players so I just hope Cincy's Front Office knows what there doing to at least make the playoffs at least.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26714

Switch Gilmore with Wright and i like.

Don't like Wright in the first, let alone at 17.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Switch Gilmore with Wright and i like.

Don't like Wright in the first, let alone at 17.
Agree.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

For the record I'm not exactly high on taking Kendall Wright in the first as I believe McNutt from Iowa would be more of the possession type guy we're looking for but it's just the scenario of best player available at the time. I do like Gilmore but I just don't think they're really interested in any of the guys this year if they insisted on signing so many veterans on 1 year deals. Of course if we do get one it we would most likely mean Ghee gets cut in a heartbeat but that's not a bad thing considering he hasn't really done anything for us. I just feel like we aren't going to get the opportunity to take any of the "glamour" picks that have been discussed such as

-Kuechly
-DeCastro
-Floyd
-Barron

I just think these guys are all being eyed up by teams sitting above us in those 10-16 spots