Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21035
Default Shady's Final Mock

Here’s my final mock with a rationale for why I’d draft these players when I’d draft them.

1a. David DeCastro G, Stanford – We signed Green-Ellis as an all-purpose back. He’s got a nice mix of power, balance, and speed. I see him as Ced 2.0, meaning that that he brings a lot of the same things to the table with a little more speed and minus the fumbles, plus he’s a better receiver. In order to make fullest use of him, as well as the change of pace back that I see us taking in Round 3, we need a guard with the greatest versatility. That would be DeCastro. He will be a pro-bowl guard for years to come due to his ability to mix it up in the trenches as well as pull and get out in front for our backs and WRs on screens and sweeps. This just makes too much sense, even if it has lost its sexiness as a pick after all this time we’ve been drooling over him. There seems to be a consensus out there that he will fall to us. Shame on us if we don’t take him.

1b. Stephen Hill, WR, Ga Tech – This is the hardest pick in the draft for me. At CB, I’d prefer rolling the dice on Jenkins, but the word is out that the Bengals won’t be taking any more character risks, at least not early in the draft. Chris Collinsworth is gaga over Hill. Pairing him with AJ would be a daunting combo for opposing defenses to have to cover, and would only improve our ability to run the ball. There’s no way they could play 8 in the box on us.

2. Jayron Hosely, CB, VaTech – Hosely led the NCAA in interceptions two years ago, there’s no doubt he can play. And we definitely need a corner with ballhawk instincts. Plus, Hosely gives us another option at punt returner.

3. LaMichael James/Isaiah Pead – RB, Take your pick. Which ever one of these guys is still there in the 3rd. Both are great receivers out of the backfield, and would provide another dangerous weapon for Gruden to make use of in our version of the WCO. Personally, I might prefer Wilson, Miller, or Martin in round 2, but they wouldn’t provide the change of pace that we’d get from James or Pead. Green-Ellis is our #1 back. If we draft a RB in 2012, it will be a guy who provides the change of pace.

4. Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama – After watching tape on this guy, I think he offers us the best set of skills to pair up with Geno Atkins in stuffing the run while also getting penetration to disrupt the passing game.

5a. Philip Blake, C, Baylor – He might not fall to the fifth, but if he does, he’d be a great back-up / replacement for Cook.

5b. Antonio Allen, SS, South Carolina – Right now, it looks like Taylor Mays is our guy at SS, but he’s been very injury-prone since entering the NFL. We need someone for backup. Allen shows a lot of promise.

5c. Vontaze Burfict, LB, ASU – Major headcase, but Marvin brought him in for a visit. I can see Marvin pinning his hopes on this guy as the second coming of Peter Boulware. It’s a low risk pick in the fifth.

6. George Bryan, TE, NCState – Check this guy out. He’s flown under the radar. I haven’t seen him in any other mocks, but looks to be a great fit for us. We need a good blocking TE. This guys gets it done, and he can haul in the passes!!

This is my final mock. It's been fun. To be honest, I'm clueless as to who the Bengals will actually take, but what the hell? It's going to be great discussing the results come Thursday night!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738
Default Re: Shady's Final Mock

I love this draft except I don't want a WR in the 1st unless Floyd falls. But if we do go WR I would rather have Hill than Wright.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I love this draft except I don't want a WR in the 1st unless Floyd falls. But if we do go WR I would rather have Hill than Wright.
Thanks.

I agree about the Wright thing. He'd be a great slot WR, but we've got Ship and Baby Hawk.

I just think Hill, combined with Decastro, James/Pead, and Bryan would push our offense over the top. Imagine Hill lining up with AJ, Shipley, and Gresham. Behind our new Oline, Green-Ellis and James/Pead would make hay, and Andy's going to have much more time to throw the ball.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Good mock,overall. I wouldn't have any major qualms if this is how things turned out,come draft day. You can't argue against DeCastro in the 1st. Hill would make an extremely dangerous combo with Green. I will take him a year or so to develop into a starter,but this year we can always use him in the old Chris Henry role[send him on fly routes and deep posts to open things up underneath]. My only real quibbles come at the end of the draft. I really don't like Burfict,especially before the 6th[and I think he'll still be available then]. I really don't see a spot for another mid-late round developmental S with Mays,Sands,and Miles,especially since we will probably keep 6 CB's and only 4 S's this year.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Good mock,overall. I wouldn't have any major qualms if this is how things turned out,come draft day. You can't argue against DeCastro in the 1st. Hill would make an extremely dangerous combo with Green. I will take him a year or so to develop into a starter,but this year we can always use him in the old Chris Henry role[send him on fly routes and deep posts to open things up underneath]. My only real quibbles come at the end of the draft. I really don't like Burfict,especially before the 6th[and I think he'll still be available then]. I really don't see a spot for another mid-late round developmental S with Mays,Sands,and Miles,especially since we will probably keep 6 CB's and only 4 S's this year.
Thanks for the feedback. You might have a point about the safeties.

If it was up to me, we wouldn't take Burfict at all, but I think it's almost inevitable that Marvin gets his project backer.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

This is a very good mock. I definately like your pick @ 2 and if we can get Allen that late it would be gold..
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73281

Love everything but Burfict. I don't like Hill, but he's worth the risk with a "safer" other first
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37636

1A- Nothing else can be said let's just hope he gets by KC,'Zona, and Dallas

1B- Too much like AJ IMO. I'd prefer a crisp route running compliment, but he could be great

2- Man he's little bitty and looked terrible in the Miami game

3- Sure; although, I'd hope BGE would be a change of pace to them

4- Sure, kid seems to have heart

5A- Perfect, if there

5B- Not sure he's a better prospect than Sands

5C- Sure, the kids seems to be trying to get it together, if he does it will be a steal, if not all we lose is a 5th. Who is the last one of those we had that did anything?

6- Like Bryan, actually had him in the bfinest mock.

All in all great mock.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 446

Interesting... I wouldn't waste my time on Burfict personally, but no biggie I guess.

I think Hosely is underrated and I'd love to get him.

Hill I haven't been wild about, but seeing some of the possible scenarios at 21 is starting to make me consider it.

I prefer Pead to James (I'm not sure James is as good of a receiver as you say) and, overall, I'd be happy with that draft.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Love everything but Burfict. I don't like Hill, but he's worth the risk with a "safer" other first
I'd love Gilmore or Jenkins here but Gilmore won't be there at 21, and maybe not eve 17, and I can't see us taking Jenkins. :>(
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I'd love Gilmore or Jenkins here but Gilmore won't be there at 21, and maybe not eve 17, and I can't see us taking Jenkins. :>(
I love Hosley though. I think he actually can sneak into the end of round 1, but he's still realistic at 2.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9850

Like it. Good mock.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I should have gone with Cliff Harris instead of Burfict. I think he's lower risk and was a great CB for Oregon in 2010. With Simpson gone, we don't have to worry as much about guys get busted for pot.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I am tired of looking at that babe and not knowing who she is.

Everytime I see your posts, I stop. Well, one for the infinite wisdom of course, but, then I get mesmerized for at least a minute.

Stops me in my tracks everytime.

I am 42, and out of the loop with today's "Stars".

What is here name.

Thank you in advance Shady!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30440

Quote:
I should have gone with Cliff Harris instead of Burfict. I think he's lower risk and was a great CB for Oregon in 2010. With Simpson gone, we don't have to worry as much about guys get busted for pot.
Like your draft only thing i do different is i grab Wolfe as the DT/DE tweener that marvin likes in the 4th if hes still on the board. And if tank carter falls to the 5th take him over the crazy lb from zona that epic failed on every workout possible this offseason.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A up in Clifton View Post
I am tired of looking at that babe and not knowing who she is.

Everytime I see your posts, I stop. Well, one for the infinite wisdom of course, but, then I get mesmerized for at least a minute.

Stops me in my tracks everytime.

I am 42, and out of the loop with today's "Stars".

What is here name.

Thank you in advance Shady!!!
LOL, you'll have to ask Archer. She's with him!

By the way, I had the same question. She melts me.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1018

Quote:

Is it Adriana Lima top Victoria secret model
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30440

Quote:

it looks a lot like the girl from GRINDHOUSE... whos leg gets turned into a machine gun...

could be off though... i keep trying to find that scene in a movie (scanning my brain files)

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry