Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3029
Default Bengals Offensive Tackle Andrew Whitworth Lost Nearly 30 Pounds Over The Offseason

According to Geoff Hobson with Bengals.com, Andrew Whitworth has lost nearly 30 pounds over the offseason, claiming to be roughly 320 pounds.

"I just wanted to feel lighter and feel better about myself," he says. "It's eating better and not as much, and workouts."

"Basically my quad shut down. There was a lot of muscle loss in the muscle of my left leg and I've built it back up. I'm back to working out, doing what I normally do," he says. "Yoga. Stretching. I never had to stop. It's about tolerating the pain.

"You're still able to play and perform. You don’t get as much push as you normally would in the running game. The real issue is once you get out over your knee, its pretty week. That's pretty hard not to be able to do in the run game."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/6/1/...30-pounds-over
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089
Default Re: Bengals Offensive Tackle Andrew Whitworth Lost Nearly 30 Pounds Over The Offseaso

30 pounds? That's a lot on his frame.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3700
Default Re: Bengals Offensive Tackle Andrew Whitworth Lost Nearly 30 Pounds Over The Offseaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
30 pounds? That's a lot on his frame.
It does seem like it would be a bit much, but it seemed as though Whitworth's performance slipped last year compared to the very high level that we're used to. Who knows maybe this will help him with the speedier ends.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
It does seem like it would be a bit much, but it seemed as though Whitworth's performance slipped last year compared to the very high level that we're used to. Who knows maybe this will help him with the speedier ends.
Agree, if Whit went from roughly 350 to around 320, it's likely a good thing for his agility and performance.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23303

Worthless hacks.

What a shameless, worthless site.

Zero creativity and/or analysis. Cut and paste blogging of everyone else's news. Why develop critical thinking skill, original lines of logic, or do your own investigative reporting when you can steal from others and insert a few lines of opinion and feign originality?

Let me guess, soon there will be an "article" on Cook, followed by one about GE wanting to play for Anderson? Maybe one about Holt helping the team out, or something else Bengals.com has reported on and they can cut/paste together...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...0-e4f4d54b5ad0

SLIM WHIT-MAN: Left tackle Andrew Whitworth continues to go on his health craze. Thanks mainly to a new diet, he has shed about 29 pounds during the offseason and says he's about 320, the lightest he's been since his sophomore season at LSU.

"I just wanted to feel lighter and feel better about myself," he says. "It's eating better and not as much, and workouts."

And did he mention golf? When the Bengals get done with their workouts at about 12:45 p.m., Whitworth eschews lunch and heads to one of his two courses, TPC or Hyde Park, to get in 18 holes after usually helping coordinate the playing groups.

Whitworth figures the Bengals have one of the teams in the NFL with the fewest golfers and they've got to be a rarity in that their best golfer is one of their biggest players at 6-7, 320.

After scalding Hyde Park with a 78 last week, Whitworth was a little tired Thursday and could only offer an 85. But he did unleash a 306-yard drive on the 18th.

"I really wanted that 77," he said of his jersey number. "But I took an (Anthony) Muρoz instead."

The course is another place to bond during OTAs. Whitworth's usual partners are quarterback Zac Robinson and guard Clint Boling, but some of the cornerbacks also like to play, so Leon Hall has made a few appearances in his foursomes and Terence Newman made his debut Wednesday.

As expected, there is heated competition and gamesmanship with a few dollars on the line and Whitworth's scorecard looks like an engineering blueprint by the time he's done figuring the individual and team scores. Whitworth took medal honors on Thursday with the big-hitting Robinson breaking off some rust with a un-Robby 88 and Boling coming out of it with a remarkable 91 after several scrambling pars.

"I like being a perfectionist at everything I try," Whitworth said. "I work on football in the morning and then try to get better at golf in the afternoon."
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Agree, if Whit went from roughly 350 to around 320, it's likely a good thing for his agility and performance.
320 is a pinch light for a 6'7" tackle, but if there's any player I trust, it's Whit.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73659

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Worthless hacks.

Zero creativity and/or analysis. Cut and paste blogging of everyone else's news. Why develop critical thinking skill, original lines of logic, or do your own investigative reporting when you can steal from others and insert a few lines of opinion and feign originality?

Let me guess, soon there will be an "article" on Cook, followed by one about GE wanting to play for Anderson? Maybe one about Holt helping the team out, or something else Bengals.com has reported on and they can cut/paste together...

SLIM WHIT-MAN: Left tackle Andrew Whitworth continues to go on his health craze. Thanks mainly to a new diet, he has shed about 29 pounds during the offseason and says he's about 320, the lightest he's been since his sophomore season at LSU.

And did he mention golf? When the Bengals get done with their workouts at ab
out 12:45 p.m., Whitworth eschews lunch and heads to one of his two courses, TPC or Hyde Park, to get in 18 holes after usually helping coordinate the playing groups.

Whitworth figures the Bengals have one of the teams in the NFL with the fewest golfers and they've got to be a rarity in that their best golfer is one of their biggest players at 6-7, 320.

After scalding Hyde Park with a 78 last week, Whitworth was a little tired Thursday
and could only offer an 85. But he did unleash a 306-yard drive on the 18th.

"I really wanted that 77," he said of his jersey number. "But I took an (Anthony)
Muρoz instead."

The course is another place to bond during OTAs. Whitworth's usual partners ar
e quarterback Zac Robinson and guard Clint Boling, but some of the cornerbacks also
like to play, so Leon Hall has made a few appearances in his foursomes and Terence Newman made his debut Wednesday.

As expected, there is heated competition and gamesmanship with a few dollars on the
line and Whitworth's scorecard looks like an engineering blueprint by the time he's done figuring the individual and team scores. Whitworth took medal honors on Thursday
with the big-hitting Robinson breaking off some rust with a un-Robby 88 and Boling coming out of it with a remarkable 91 after several scrambling pars.

"I like being a perfectionist at everything I try," Whitworth said. "I work on football in the
morning and then try to get better at golf in the afternoon."

Good comments on the article...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Worthless hacks.

I agree. CincyJungle is the "profootballtalk" of Bengals news. They just rip stories from others. I don't go there often. Their posters actually talk smack about us . I saw a guy say last week that these boards are full of idiots who think the NFL is like Madden. Zero objectivity in their comments section. Just a bunch of homers squabbling about which player will play this position or how great Marv is, blah blah blah. At least we have good discussions with multiple points of view here.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 06-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20631

Quote:
I agree. CincyJungle is the "profootballtalk" of Bengals news. They just rip stories from others. I don't go there often. Their posters actually talk smack about us here . I saw a guy say last week that these boards are full of idiots who think the NFL is like Madden. Zero objectivity in their comments section. Just a bunch of homers squabbling about which player will play this position or how great Marv is, blah blah blah. At least we have good discussions with multiple points of view here.
Only good thing I will say about Cincyjungle is at least it is an alternative site for Bengal fans as opposed to Bengals.com, and it is on the more positive side as u mentioned (lol too positive for me tho)

However I never go on it, and if I do it is from a rare link I click from here to it. Gotta say though, whenever I make a post in here with a link, it is a link to the actual source of what I am posting about. It isn't like this here which screams to me "Hey click on cincyjungle link to read about what Hobson wrote so we can get some web-hits". (sorry if that seems that I am implying something, as I really wasnt)

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Last edited by Millz; 06-01-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3221

Quote:
Worthless hacks.

AMEN!

That site irritates me to no end.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Only good thing I will say about Cincyjungle is at least it is an alternative site for Bengal fans as opposed to Bengals.com, and it is on the more positive side as u mentioned (lol too positive for me tho)

However I never go on it, and if I do it is from a rare link I click from here to it. Gotta say though, whenever I make a post in here with a link, it is a link to the actual source of what I am posting about. It isn't like this here which screams to me "Hey click on cincyjungle link to read about what Hobson wrote so we can get some web-hits". (sorry if that seems that I am implying something, as I really wasnt)
I do check it sometimes, but I mostly bounce between here and PFT (even though Florio gets on my nerves with all his opinions). A few years ago, I used to check WDR a lot, but they've gone downhill, and it got kinda silly when they couldn't even be positive about a playoff season.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I do check it sometimes, but I mostly bounce between here and PFT (even though Florio gets on my nerves with all his opinions). A few years ago, I used to check WDR a lot, but they've gone downhill, and it got kinda silly when they couldn't even be positive about a playoff season.

Yeah I get my bengals news from a few twitter feeds like reedy/hobson/other nfl guys like Cole, Schefter, then sites like bengals.com (for more facts than opinions), cincy.com, and then the mainstream sites like cbs, espn, and others like roto as well.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18375

Quote:
Please stop it.

He's been fine with speedier ends since '09, and this is a ******* fact.

His play slipped in the run game; last year was the best year of his career pass blocking.

Also a fact.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 465

Quote:
His run blocking slipped...due to his leg injury. His pass blocking was still excellent.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53226

You know what is mind boggling for a guy like me who has been an NFL fan since the 70's...........the fact that we have gotten to the point where a 320 lb man is called "too light".

I remember when a 300 lb football player was considered a freak. In the mid 70's the Raiders had the best O-line in the league with Hall of Famer LG Gene Upshaw and Hall of Fame LT Art Shell. Shell was 6-5, 265. Upshaw at 6-5, 255 was SMALLER than Jermain Gresham (6-5, 260) who sometimes lines up split out as a WR for us.

Fans today are not that impressed when they hear that Jim Brown weighed 230 and had sprinters speed, but they don't realize that his rookie season ('57) the Browns did not have an O-lineman who weighed more than 245 lbs.

Last edited by fredtoast; 06-02-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Please stop it.

His play slipped in the run game; last year was the best year of his career pass blocking.

Also a fact.
I love Whit. But last year, didn't Whit give up back-to-back sacks to end a game? The Ravens game, I believe.

It seems to me that in obvious passing situations without help, Whit can struggle.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Yeah I get my bengals news from a few twitter feeds like reedy/hobson/other nfl guys like Cole, Schefter, then sites like bengals.com (for more facts than opinions), cincy.com, and then the mainstream sites like cbs, espn, and others like roto as well.
I like Cincy Jungle, because I can go to Cincy Jungle and pretty much get all the other substantive news from the twitter feed, CBS, ESPN, & Roto.

Why are so many complaining about a website exclusively focused on the Bengals? Shouldn't we be celebrating that there is such a website?

If people are so annoyed by the mindless news reports, then submit something to the site to improve the quality.

There are probably limited resources (money) at Cincy Jungle which probably attributes to the lack of depth in reporting.

Again, I appreciate the site as a one-stop Bengals resource.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18375

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I love Whit. But last year, didn't Whit give up back-to-back sacks to end a game? The Ravens game, I believe.

It seems to me that in obvious passing situations without help, Whit can struggle.
He gave up one sack, and its not because he was beaten, its because he forgot the cadence and got off the line incredibly late.

If you think Whitworth still struggles in pass protection you;

A. Don't watch the games
B. Have no idea what you're talking about

And that isn't a knock against you, but the man hasn't struggled in pass pro his entire career at LT, and the last two years he's been second best, and best in the league in pass protection.

Please, stop it.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:

What Truck said.

Quote:
He gave up one sack, and its not because he was beaten, its because he forgot the cadence and got off the line incredibly late.

A. Don't watch the games

And that isn't a knock against you, but the man hasn't struggled in pass pro his entire career at LT, and the last two years he's been second best, and best in the league in pass protection.

Please, stop it.
You know it wont stop...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

I like the idea of Whit at 320. If he is faster he will get out and seal the line better.

Whit is a great pass protector, and one of the best run blockers when healthy. Last year his leg injury hurt his run blocking some. He was still one of the best run blockers in the game today.

Whit should have went to the pro-bowl the last few years. He is one of the most under-rated LT in the game and here in Cincinnati. It is a shame people who know next to nothing about football still talk about moving him to OG every year.

I think Whit is the second best LT the team has ever had, he is behind only Munoz who is the best who ever play LT in the HISTORY OF THE NFL.

I hope Whit's leg is OK and he stays healthy this year. I think that maybe the reason for the weight loss. To protect his legs and career long term.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 854

Hope hes in shape and focused, its a long season , hopefully whatever hes doing will help come playoff time.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
His run blocking slipped...due to his leg injury. His pass blocking was still excellent.
Quote:

A. Don't watch the games

Please, stop it.
So because he gets off the line late it's ok?

Quote:
Please stop it.

Also a fact.

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking the guy. He is great, but there is a reason he wanted to lose the weight. Maybe it's so he can get a better jump on speed guys, or maybe it's so there is less pressure on his knees, or maybe he just wants to impress the ladies. No one really knows except Whit.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3279

Well I'm sure he discussed it with the coaches and trainers before just dropping 30 pounds. Depending on the way he did it and the reasons I can only hope the staff knows it will help him to be better.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I like Cincy Jungle, because I can go to Cincy Jungle and pretty much get all the other substantive news from the twitter feed, CBS, ESPN, & Roto.

Why are so many complaining about a website exclusively focused on the Bengals? Shouldn't we be celebrating that there is such a website?

If people are so annoyed by the mindless news reports, then submit something to the site to improve the quality.

There are probably limited resources (money) at Cincy Jungle which probably attributes to the lack of depth in reporting.

Again, I appreciate the site as a one-stop Bengals resource.

Yeah I don't have problems with it personally, I just don't choose to go there cause I don't need to. But I am with Rugby that the constant links from here to there are quite annoying, especially when that link is 99% of the time based on what Hobson, Reedy, or some other site is reporting. I could care less to see what they have to say about it, I want to see the original source, which should be the original link anyways.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12886

Quote:

Love Whit too. But this is what I saw. This is by memory only and do not know what the stats say, but dude run around him like he was standing still. As he blocked nobody twice in a row.

Think this is why he dropped the weight actually. That was a big game and we were threatening.

Maybe I remember it wrong. Someone who has it DVR'd can correct me.

But do not get me wrong, am happy to have Whit as a Bengal. Definitely one of the all-time best LT 's we have had.