Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1352
Default Bengals Curse

Are we cursed? I know it's been asked here before but I just got done watching ESPN Film's "Four days in October" about the Boston Red Socks comeback against the Yankees in 2004 and I couldn't help wonder if we have a similar destiny?

Lets look at the history for a moment.

1969, QB Greg Cook becomes AFL Rookie of the year, then tears his rotator cuff and is never the same, He retires 2 years later.

1975, Bill Walsh leaves Cincinnati and becomes SF head coach four years later, goes on to create "west coast" offense and beats us twice in the superbowl.

1975, Cincinnati's winningest season (11-3 /.786) loses to the Radiers 31-28.

1981, Despite being the favorite, gaining more yards, and scoring more touchdows, Loses Superbowl 16 due to 4 timely turnovers, including one 4-1 on goal (5 turnovers).

1988, Despite being underdogs in Superbowl 23, Bengals have a 16-13 lead on the 49ers with 3:10 left and the ball on the 8 yard line. Tim Krumrie, our best interior defensive player, breaks his leg on the 3rd play of the game. Stanley...

1991, Paul Brown dies, leaves complete control of the team to his son, Mike Brown. Mike Brown fires San Wyche and hires Dave Shula who goes 19-53 over 4 years.

1995, Ki Jana Carter suffers career changing leg injury in preseason after being #1 overall pick.

1996 - 2003, 41-87 record. Worst team in NFL twice, (1998 & 2002).

2004, Despite being a Cincinnati assistant/Head Coach for most of his career and inventing the zone blitz in Cincinnati, **** LeBeau goes to Pittsburgh and helps them win two Superbowls.

2005, Bengals post 11-5 Record, win division, and play Pittsburgh who make playoffs as a wildcard. On the first possession, first play from scrimmage, Carson Palmer launches a 66 yard bomb to WR Chris Henry (Longest in Bengal playoff history), then gets his knee shredded by Kimo on the same play. Carson is never the same. Pittsburgh goes on to win Superbowl. Henry dies 5 years later.

2006, The Bengals are labeled as a "prison team" as 9 players get arrested during the season. Going into week 16, the Benglas need only one win to make the playoffs. In Denver, after tying the game on a TD from Palmer to Henry, they botched the PAT and lose. The following week against hated rival Pittsburgh, miss a 39yrd field goal and lose in OT missing the playoffs.

2007, Promising players lost to Injury; Kenny Irons, David Pollack, and Chris Perry. Odell Thurman, our best LB is suspended indefinitely, never plays again.

2009 - 2011, 2009 Bengals return to the playoffs but lose a home playoff game against the Jets, 2 games in a row. 2010, Despite improvements to the offense, go 4-11. 2011, Palmer refuses to play for the Benglas, Chad gets traded. Dalton and Green rebuild the Bengals Offense. Benglas go 9-7 but only beat one winning team and get embarrassed by the Texans in the wildcard game.

2011, Dre Kirpatrick, our top pick in the 2012 Draft (From Carson trade), gets hurt, misses all of training camp and pre season, has yet to play. Bengals top 10 D gets shredded on MNF in first game of the year.

Please add to this list if I forgot something.

If Boston can go 86 years and beat their "curse", I bet we can too and hopefully it's just as dramatic.

Q 2, What would be the best way to end the curse? (Just let me dream ok!)

For me it would be getting into the playoffs as a wildcard. Beating Oakland (home),

Home playoff game against the Raiders. Oakland(LA) has knocked good Benglas teams out of the playoffs twice. Time we returned the favor. Carson has a great game but throws a pick six in the final drive to give us the win.

Beating Pittsburgh (road)

Pitt gets a wildcard, and home game but Our D stifles Rustycheesburger. Several Steelers leave the game injured. We win big, 34-10.

Beating the Ravens (road) AFC Championship.

We're big underdogs. The Ravens are the best team in Football. They are over confident and arrogant. First play is a trick play reverse Rice to Smith, but Atkins breaks up the play, forces a fumble and Dunlap scores. It's a close game to the wire but this time our D scores twice and puts the game away in the last two minutes. We celebrate on their turf. On the the Superbowl.

Winning the Superbowl against the 49ers.

Superbowl, we face you got, San Francisco 49ers! Another close game but AJ Green is unstoppable. He breaks Jerry Rice's SB receiving records and wins MVP. On the last drive with 3:08 left from our 12, Dalton's drives the ball down to the 15. There he hits Marvin Jones Jr (A new star is born) in the back of the end zone on a play that looks eerily like one before with 34 seconds left on the clock. Harbaugh loose it and punches QB Alex Smith in the face injuring him.

Don't poop on my cloud, it felt good writing that after the list I made.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Bengals Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
Are we cursed? I know it's been asked here before but I just got done watching ESPN Film's "Four days in October" about the Boston Red Socks comeback against the Yankees in 2004 and I couldn't help wonder if we have a similar destiny?

1969, QB Greg Cook becomes AFL Rookie of the year, then tears his rotator cuff and is never the same, He retires 2 years later.

1975, Bill Walsh leaves Cincinnati and becomes SF head coach four years later, goes on to create "west coast" offense and beats us twice in the superbowl.

1981, Despite being the favorite, gaining more yards, and scoring more touchdows, Loses Superbowl 16 due to 4 timely turnovers, including one 4-1 on goal (5 turnovers).

1988, Despite being underdogs in Superbowl 23, Bengals have a 16-13 lead on the 49ers with 3:10 left and the ball on the 8 yard line. Tim Krumrie, our best interior defensive player, breaks his leg on the 3rd play of the game. Stanley...

1991, Paul Brown dies, leaves complete control of the team to his son, Mike Brown. Mike Brown fires San Wyche and hires Dave Shula who goes 19-53 over 4 years.

1995, Ki Jana Carter suffers career changing leg injury in preseason after being #1 overall pick.

2004, Despite being a Cincinnati assistant/Head Coach for most of his career and inventing the zone blitz in Cincinnati, **** LeBeau goes to Pittsburgh and helps them win two Superbowls.

2005, Bengals post 11-5 Record, win division, and play Pittsburgh who make playoffs as a wildcard. On the first possession, first play from scrimmage, Carson Palmer launches a 66 yard bomb to WR Chris Henry (Longest in Bengal playoff history), then gets his knee shredded by Kimo on the same play. Carson is never the same. Pittsburgh goes on to win Superbowl. Henry dies 5 years later.

2006, The Bengals are labeled as a "prison team" as 9 players get arrested during the season. Going into week 16, the Benglas need only one win to make the playoffs. In Denver, after tying the game on a TD from Palmer to Henry, they botched the PAT and lose. The following week against hated rival Pittsburgh, miss a 39yrd field goal and lose in OT missing the playoffs.

2007, Promising players lost to Injury; Kenny Irons, David Pollack, and Chris Perry. Odell Thurman, our best LB is suspended indefinitely, never plays again.

2009 - 2011, 2009 Bengals return to the playoffs but lose a home playoff game against the Jets, 2 games in a row. 2010, Despite improvements to the offense, go 4-11. 2011, Palmer refuses to play for the Benglas, Chad gets traded. Dalton and Green rebuild the Bengals Offense. Benglas go 9-7 but only beat one winning team and get embarrassed by the Texans in the wildcard game.

2011, Dre Kirpatrick, our top pick in the 2012 Draft (From Carson trade), gets hurt, misses all of training camp and pre season, has yet to play. Bengals top 10 D gets shredded on MNF in first game of the year.

If Boston can go 86 years and beat their "curse", I bet we can too and hopefully it's just as dramatic.

For me it would be getting into the playoffs as a wildcard. Beating Oakland (home),

Home playoff game against the Raiders. Oakland(LA) has knocked good Benglas teams out of the playoffs twice. Time we returned the favor. Carson has a great game but throws a pick six in the final drive to give us the win.

Pitt gets a wildcard, and home game but Our D stifles Rustycheesburger. Several Steelers leave the game injured. We win big, 34-10.

We're big underdogs. The Ravens are the best team in Football. They are over confident and arrogant. First play is a trick play reverse Rice to Smith, but Atkins breaks up the play, forces a fumble and Dunlap scores. It's a close game to the wire but this time our D scores twice and puts the game away in the last two minutes. We celebrate on their turf. On the the Superbowl.

Superbowl, we face you got, San Francisco 49ers! Another close game but AJ Green is unstoppable. He breaks Jerry Rice's SB receiving records and wins MVP. On the last drive with 3:08 left from our 12, Dalton's drives the ball down to the 15. There he hits Marvin Jones Jr (A new star is born) in the back of the end zone on a play that looks eerily like one before with 34 seconds left on the clock. Harbaugh loose it and punches QB Alex Smith in the face injuring him.

Here, you're going to need a few of these.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Welcome to the Jungle.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 37945

We ruined the career of who was going to be the nuttiest athlete of all time=curse.

Sometimes when it's real quiet around here there are tales of "The Curse of Bo Jackson's Hip."
Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4036

Yes..............................If you also believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny then yes we are cursed.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2919

Hahaha Rustycheeseburger? I swear the names people come up with are gayer than the actual players themselves.

Anyways the Bengals might/might not be cursed. I honestly think we will find out within the next 5 years. Our offense is young and we have a lot of players with talent. The D has some talent as well but can use big upgrades. I think that will happen once MB is required to spend the cap money. I don't think we are SB capable this year but I really feel we will be in the near future. If freak injuries and plays and whatever else keep us from the SB then yes.....I will say we are cursed.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19907
bengals Re: Bengals Curse

In short .....no we are not.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 50

yes they are cursed and i hate it..been a fan for 32 years and it sux's ..every year i have high hopes for this team only to be let down..i think that the NFL and the football gods hate this team..unless their is a change in the FO there will be no good things to come for a long time..yes we made the playoff's.but it's not good enough for me..being a fan this long i need at least a trip to the SB for this team..O well i sit back and watch every year how this team is cheated and the bad luck they have..im getting to the point that i dont even want to watch football..it's getting pretty old and so am i..will i ever see this team make it to a SB and win it before i die dont know just getting tired of the same old BS every year..i will always be a fan but until they get better every year i will not buy their stuff..
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

No we are not cursed. We just have a lifetime of really bad decisions by the FO and not very good HCs.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3198

Quote:

WCO was first run in Cincy by Virgil Carter, and later by Kenny Anderson.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12585

The only way to break the curse is to wear your underwear on your head on game day. It is the only way out of this bro.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16542

Quote:

Wow week one and we get a cursed thread........I lived through all this. Instead of writing the list you could have just copied it from other cursed threads or Wiki
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub2005 View Post
WCO was first run in Cincy by Virgil Carter, and later by Kenny Anderson.
Yes, you are correct! Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
The only way to break the curse is to wear your underwear on your head on game day. It is the only way out of this bro.
You don't think I tried that already??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Wow week one and we get a cursed thread........I lived through all this. Instead of writing the list you could have just copied it from other cursed threads or Wiki
This has nothing to do with week one. You missed the whole "Watched ESPN 4 Days in October" part. I only mentioned the MNF D meltdown because I found it ironic.

As for copying wiki, other posts, it was just as easy for me to do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
Hahaha Rustycheeseburger? I swear the names people come up with are gayer than the actual players themselves.
Thanks! I got plenty more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Yes..............................If you also believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny then yes we are cursed.
So you've never witnessed a miracle in sports? Ever? If there are miracles, there are curses. Just sayin.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post

You know, the kid looks a little like Arafat.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
You know, the kid looks a little like Arafat.
Is that Morris or Pierre?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3536

Quote:

Thanks for the flashback.......now wheres that pistol again?

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2271

It's all Bo Jackson's fault.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2302

Not so much a curse, but for sure screwed in perpetuity.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

The only curse this team has is having an inept owner who is content with aspirations of mediocrity.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 170

I used to think we were cursed too... The fact is we are just one of the worst franchises in the history of pro-sports. At least until Mike Brown is gone and maybe we get lucky with a competent owner
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 40

I also predicted the Bengals would play the Niners in the SB. 3rd times a charm right?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey Steve View Post
I also predicted the Bengals would play the Niners in the SB. 3rd times a charm right?
Niners have a great chance, Bengals have 0% chance... unless the Patriots/Texans/Ravens/Steelers/Broncos/Chargers/Jets all forfeit the season then I give us a 75% chance
Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6471

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedies View Post
Niners have a great chance, Bengals have 0% chance... unless the Patriots/Texans/Ravens/Steelers/Broncos/Chargers/Jets all forfeit the season then I give us a 75% chance
Could happen, just saying...

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5817

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Sometimes when it's real quiet around here there are tales of "The Curse of Bo Jackson's Hip."
Bo knows curses.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17761

No such thing as curses, but if there were, the Bengals would be a prime candidate for one.