Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925
Default Dr1441 1st mock of the year

Seeing as we are playing horrible, I have us going 6-10 and picking around the 10 mark.

1. Manti' Teo, MLB, Notre Dame- After we let Rey walk this year I think we need to find a replacement and leave vontaze at SAM. He has excelled there and I don't want to put the whole defense in his hands.

2. Khaled Holmes, C, USC- We need an anchor on the O-Line and Cook is average at best.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, SS, Texas- We need someone that can come in and hold down the position for a long time. Vaccaro is that guy.

3. Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma- I love this kid. He is going to be a very productive guy. Reminds me of Kenny Britt.

This is all I will do for now.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5203
Default Re: Dr1441 1st mock of the year

It looks solid and would meet our needs. I wouldn't go "aww yeaaah", but I wouldn't be upset. The only pick I don't know about is Holmes. He has been fighting injuries all year and has not looked very good.I could see a 4th on him, but doubt he fars that fall. I tend to lean towards upgrading the pass rush in this draft though so I might be a bit biased
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 10-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3534

Can't say all the picks don't fill needs. I'm ok with this also.....but.... I like 1 and 3 on the list and would replace 2 and 4 with a RB and a DE.

Last edited by goalpost; 10-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25799

Im really not liking Holmes right now.
Im guessing Te'o would be a good mix of need and bpa.
Also not an Ellington fan.
It is however, spot on position wise so I wouldn't be upset just because personnel is a bit different than what I would like.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42881

Vontaze is playing WILL and I'm torn about keeping him there; especially, if we re-sign Howard. VB in the middle, Howard WILL, and a SAM drafted early.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13796

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Vontaze is playing WILL and I'm torn about keeping him there; especially, if we re-sign Howard. VB in the middle, Howard WILL, and a SAM drafted early.
I kind of think you do it the other way around. Shoot for the best LB available in the 1st round without reaching. VB does the opposite of what you picked. If you go with Jones, Burfict to MLB; if Te'o is the guy, leave Burfict at OLB. We win either way.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I kind of think you do it the other way around. Shoot for the best LB available in the 1st round without reaching. VB does the opposite of what you picked. If you go with Jones, Burfict to MLB; if Te'o is the guy, leave Burfict at OLB. We win either way.
This was kind of my thinking as well. I am not really sold on VB in the middle just because I am not sure he is ready to make play calls and be a true "leader" of the defense right now. I think he is excelling in kind of "following" so to say right now.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Im really not liking Holmes right now.
Im guessing Te'o would be a good mix of need and bpa.
Also not an Ellington fan.
It is however, spot on position wise so I wouldn't be upset just because personnel is a bit different than what I would like.
You shoot up today while reading this? I dont have Ellington lol.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Seeing as we are playing horrible, I have us going 6-10 and picking around the 10 mark.

1. Manti' Teo, MLB, Notre Dame- After we let Rey walk this year I think we need to find a replacement and leave vontaze at SAM. He has excelled there and I don't want to put the whole defense in his hands.

2. Khaled Holmes, C, USC- We need an anchor on the O-Line and Cook is average at best.

2. Kenny Vaccaro, SS, Texas- We need someone that can come in and hold down the position for a long time. Vaccaro is that guy.

3. Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma- I love this kid. He is going to be a very productive guy. Reminds me of Kenny Britt.

This is all I will do for now.
Thanks for the mock!

1. Love the Te'o pick. Howard (WILL)/Te'o (MIKE)/Burfict (SAM)

2. I agree that Center should be upgraded. I have heard the injury concerns with Holmes. I wonder if the Bengals push back the Center upgrade to 2014. Interior olinemen aren't the sexy pick, but they provide quietly for the team.

2. While researching Vaccaro, it seems that he is a pretty good ball hawk. Multiple PDEF'd. What are your thoughts on Tony Jefferson from Oklahoma? He seems more along the lines of a SS. (Leading tackler for Oklahoma).

3. I like Stills. 4.49 forty. He could be our field stretcher and provide depth.

2 obvious remaining questions are RB & DE. What were you thinking?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Thanks for the mock!

1. Love the Te'o pick. Howard (WILL)/Te'o (MIKE)/Burfict (SAM)

2. I agree that Center should be upgraded. I have heard the injury concerns with Holmes. I wonder if the Bengals push back the Center upgrade to 2014. Interior olinemen aren't the sexy pick, but they provide quietly for the team.

2. While researching Vaccaro, it seems that he is a pretty good ball hawk. Multiple PDEF'd. What are your thoughts on Tony Jefferson from Oklahoma? He seems more along the lines of a SS. (Leading tackler for Oklahoma).

3. I like Stills. 4.49 forty. He could be our field stretcher and provide depth.

2 obvious remaining questions are RB & DE. What were you thinking?
I actually think the organization is going to try to go out and spend money on another RB this year. I think they let Leonard walk and give Scott his papers as well. With the likes of Steven Jackson, watch for this because the Bengals like big named older guys, Reggie Bush, Danny Woodhead, Michael Turner(another name to watch) and a few other guys set to be free agents, I think they go this route. Just a hunch, could be wrong.

And I am actually ok with our DE's as of right now. We could use a different backup then Gilberry but I think they will resign with MJ and Dunlap will be Dunlap. I think we pick up a pass rusher around round 4 or so.

Vaccaro is a ball hawk. He reminds me of a bigger Earl Thomas that could play SS. I love this kid. I think he is just what we need in our defense if we are going to have to bring blitzes to get to the QB some games. Him and Reggie Nelson could patrol quite a bit of space in the secondary.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I actually think the organization is going to try to go out and spend money on another RB this year. I think they let Leonard walk and give Scott his papers as well. With the likes of Steven Jackson, watch for this because the Bengals like big named older guys, Reggie Bush, Danny Woodhead, Michael Turner(another name to watch) and a few other guys set to be free agents, I think they go this route. Just a hunch, could be wrong.

And I am actually ok with our DE's as of right now. We could use a different backup then Gilberry but I think they will resign with MJ and Dunlap will be Dunlap. I think we pick up a pass rusher around round 4 or so.

Vaccaro is a ball hawk. He reminds me of a bigger Earl Thomas that could play SS. I love this kid. I think he is just what we need in our defense if we are going to have to bring blitzes to get to the QB some games. Him and Reggie Nelson could patrol quite a bit of space in the secondary.
I would love Michael Turner. Watching Steven Jackson, it really does seem that he has lost a step and would be a clone of BJGE's "hammer" running style. Reggie Bush would be very, very interesting as well. Woodhead would be interesting. But, I don't know how he would do being the "feature" RB.

I hope you are right about Vaccaro. On paper, he seems like a stud. I hadn't thought much of Jefferson until I watched him play ND. He was amazing against the run. But, I would love Vaccaro.

I would be so worried that the Bengals could miss out on Vaccaro that I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed Vaccaro with the first 2nd round pick.

I suspect that Holmes would/should still be available with the second 2nd round pick.

What do you think of a FA WR like Dwayne Bowe?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 82

Honestly, I personally wouldn't touch Bowe, even if Mike was willing to spring on spending the money (which that in itself makes this a moot point). For all the talent in the world he possess, I see him (with the way he has treated the KC organization) as the next TO. If you want stats thats fine, but I don't want to corrupt such a young team with a person I see as a cancer like him
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKUATO View Post
Honestly, I personally wouldn't touch Bowe, even if Mike was willing to spring on spending the money (which that in itself makes this a moot point). For all the talent in the world he possess, I see him (with the way he has treated the KC organization) as the next TO. If you want stats thats fine, but I don't want to corrupt such a young team with a person I see as a cancer like him
I agree that I don't want a negative influence in Cincinnati.

WS, has Bowe been toxic? I have read that he wants out of KC. Possibly due to HC stuff, QB instability, overall talent level of KC, etc. Perhaps.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

This isn't the most reliable source (since it's mostly a biased site imo) but I thought I remembered reading something like this late summer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...as-city-chiefs
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

To answer your point, it COULD have been the collection of negatives revolving around how terrible KC is but he had a franchise tag already (I am almost certain of) and was refusing to show up to TC for weeks which hurt him and his current franchise.

And a team as desperate as KC wouldn't throw away a talent like Bowe (they have the money, he is just refusing them) without there being baggage attached to him (and the fact he wasn't showing up after having a franchise tag makes me think he's a cancer only thinking of himself)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I would love Michael Turner. Watching Steven Jackson, it really does seem that he has lost a step and would be a clone of BJGE's "hammer" running style. Reggie Bush would be very, very interesting as well. Woodhead would be interesting. But, I don't know how he would do being the "feature" RB.

I hope you are right about Vaccaro. On paper, he seems like a stud. I hadn't thought much of Jefferson until I watched him play ND. He was amazing against the run. But, I would love Vaccaro.

I would be so worried that the Bengals could miss out on Vaccaro that I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed Vaccaro with the first 2nd round pick.

I suspect that Holmes would/should still be available with the second 2nd round pick.

What do you think of a FA WR like Dwayne Bowe?
I really like Bowe actually. I have a feeling part of his inconsistency is partly due to having Cassel and Quinn as his QB. I think given the right system he could be a real stud. His career is reminding me of Brandon Lloyd, great talent but always stuck on a bad team.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKUATO View Post
This isn't the most reliable source (since it's mostly a biased site imo) but I thought I remembered reading something like this late summer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...as-city-chiefs
Franchise tagged players have ever right to not show up to TC, because if they hurt themselves (which happens often in TC), then they really, really jeopardize their future earning ability.

WTS, I am uncertain as to Bowe truly being a negative in KC. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it. (Perhaps, this is typical with another small market team.)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
I really like Bowe actually. I have a feeling part of his inconsistency is partly due to having Cassel and Quinn as his QB. I think given the right system he could be a real stud. His career is reminding me of Brandon Lloyd, great talent but always stuck on a bad team.
Well, hopefully, Bowe considers this "bad team" as a 2013 FA destination! :-)

With Green(Jones)/Bowe(Whalen) on the outside, Sanu/Hawkins in the slot, and Gresham/Charles at TE, our aerial assault would be impressive.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38070

I def want Teo. We need a beast in the back seven. Vontaze has been solid but we need to add a certified bad a** to that LB corp and we'll be in business.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20070

I know Cook has not been a dominant center, but this year has shown us how good he is in comparison to other available players. Our running game would be about 10x better if Zeitler, a guy who is already pretty dominant as a rookie, was standing next to a competent center, we could run to the right with ease, even with a piece of crap running back like BJGE.

Upgrading center is a possibility, but with Clements starting at safety due to Miles and Mays incompetence, our defense only having 3 picks on the year despite being statistically one of the best pass rushing teams in the league and the fact that we are allowing the 8th most passing yards per attempt and the 5th best QB rating in the entire league, I would hope our highest picks would be focused on fixing the real problem with our team rather than just upgrading a position that, quite frankly, doesn't need much upgrading.

Add to that that we have very few options at WR (We need to replace Binns and Tate as soon as humanly possible) and I could see WR, LB, S and CB all being higher needs than Center.

Cook right now is in a 3 week exempt period where we can determine if he can play this season. I think if he clears and begins starting again we'll see a major difference in not only our run blocking up the middle but also the protection improving due to his familiarity with calls at the line.

Other than that, I love Teo. If we can get him I'll be ecstatic. a LB core of T'eo, Burfict and either Howard or someone else at Will makes me very excited.

Vacarro is also a stud in my opinion. And the way Oakland is playing, their 2nd round pick might be just high enough to nab him at the top of the second, and while I don't know much about Stills, based on his size and production, he seems promising.

Replace the center with either another LB or a RB and you have a perfect first 4 picks in my opinion.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
I know Cook has not been a dominant center, but this year has shown us how good he is in comparison to other available players. Our running game would be about 10x better if Zeitler, a guy who is already pretty dominant as a rookie, was standing next to a competent center, we could run to the right with ease, even with a piece of crap running back like BJGE.

Upgrading center is a possibility, but with Clements starting at safety due to Miles and Mays incompetence, our defense only having 3 picks on the year despite being statistically one of the best pass rushing teams in the league and the fact that we are allowing the 8th most passing yards per attempt and the 5th best QB rating in the entire league, I would hope our highest picks would be focused on fixing the real problem with our team rather than just upgrading a position that, quite frankly, doesn't need much upgrading.

Add to that that we have very few options at WR (We need to replace Binns and Tate as soon as humanly possible) and I could see WR, LB, S and CB all being higher needs than Center.

Cook right now is in a 3 week exempt period where we can determine if he can play this season. I think if he clears and begins starting again we'll see a major difference in not only our run blocking up the middle but also the protection improving due to his familiarity with calls at the line.

Other than that, I love Teo. If we can get him I'll be ecstatic. a LB core of T'eo, Burfict and either Howard or someone else at Will makes me very excited.

Vacarro is also a stud in my opinion. And the way Oakland is playing, their 2nd round pick might be just high enough to nab him at the top of the second, and while I don't know much about Stills, based on his size and production, he seems promising.

Replace the center with either another LB or a RB and you have a perfect first 4 picks in my opinion.
Dr's Vaccaro 2b pick addresses the dire need at SS.

Dr's Te'o 1a pick addresses the dire need at MIKE. Howard/Te'o/Burfict is a good LB corp. Howard will most likely be back fine from rehab.

Dr1441 also states in a different post that he feels that the Bengals will pursue a FA RB (Steven Jackson, Mike Tolbert, Reggie Bush) to fill the hole at RB.

Adding Still to the WR mix would be impressive addition to the WR corp.

Biggest Bengal Challenges; MIKE (Te'o), SS (Vaccaro), RB (Free Agent), WR2 (Stills). Secondary Needs: Upgrade Center (Holmes).

Defensive End is a challenge still. But, if the Bengals were to button-up their defensive 3rd & long woes by adding Te'o, Howard, & Vaccaro, then I think that our pass rush would appear better indirectly. They are already getting the sacks and creating 3rd & long situations, but the defense seemingly can't stop offenses on 3rd and longs.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3280

will T'eo actually work as MIKE in a 4-3 system?...Personally I'm thinking he's better suited for a 3-4.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13796

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post

We might end up with back to back picks.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Hard to argue against the positions you have them drafting. I could go either way on manti or taz in the middle and someone else on the outside. I would like to see a rb early on ( one of the two's) if there is one worthy at the spot. Balmer perhaps?

And at some point draft a developmental qb prospect.

Hope you're wrong on the record prediction, but.......
Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9798

I say moving Burfict at MLB and drafting the best OLB available is the best option. Rey's not gonna catch on with another team looking for help at the MLB position. He had the luxury of playing in between Cushing and Matthews, thats the reason why he looked so good at MLB in USC. Rey had his best success on the outside in run support. Thats the only spot he's gonna earn a paycheck at. Jarvis Jones or CJ Mosley would be a great addition to the OLB position and would make Burficts transition to MLB a little easier.

If we draft Te'o in the 1st, we'd just be reinventing the wheel.