Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 25
Default Re: Unreal Zimmer talking as if we won't see much Dre Sunday.

I never really liked the pick at the time, but I feel that he should be seeing some play time. I think he's the kind of corner that Zimmer likes, he's not all about INT's but he had quite a few PD's and he tackles well.

Still I agree that you would expect that the first pick, the 17th overall pick, should see play time straight away at a position that is remarkably thin. I mean, the CB's are playing ok but not well enough to be keeping people out, imo. I really hope he gets to see a lot of play time Sunday because the status quo just isn't working.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Can someone name another corner that's around 6'2 and only weighs 185? .
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I'm gonna beat the haters. Burfict wasn't drafted. Now they can't say it.
Well, either Burfict is considered a draft pick or a free agent (aka undrafted free agent).

I am sure the haterrs would balk at me saying that Burfict was a free agent acquisition.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
The way they have handled him? News flash.....he has been injured. He has actually practiced for how long? Two weeks now?

What is a joke is threads like this.
It has been a lot longer than 2 weeks. More like 4 1/2 weeks of intense practices for Dre.

On October 12th, Dre had already started practicing with the Bengals. In fact, this article below mentioned that Dre had started practicing the week prior (1st week of October).

I have read in a more recent article that Dre is taking 1st team snaps, 2nd team snaps, and scout team snaps to get Dre' conditioning up-to-speed. (The below excerpt indicates that Dre is taking 1st team & scout team snaps.)

This is the 4th complete week of practice for Dre, and he had a partial week of practice prior to that.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...a-8a7f1367b6c7
Head coach Marvin Lewis sounded very upbeat about the progress of No. 1 pick Dre Kirkpatrick after Friday's practice and said he could play Sunday when it was thought he wouldn't see action until after the bye.
But Lewis says the rookie cornerback shows no symptoms of the knee problem that kept him out of training camp for all but three days and didn't allow him back on the field until last week. Lewis says Kirkpatrick has been working with both the starters and the scout team and said "he had a good week."
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29384

Dre Kirkpatrick is going to be the opposite of Rey Maualuga for the Bengals. Rey was drafted and there were high hopes that he would be a dominant linebacker in the NFL but this has, well, let's just be nice and say it hasn't quite happened as planned. On the other hand, Dre was drafted with very little enthusiasm and I'm not sure if Bengals fans expect a lot out of him.

I certainly do!

At training camp I got to meet Dre and talk to him for awhile and, at the time, he was rehabbing from injury. He worked hard on an adjacent field with the strength and conditioning coaches and he's going to make it onto the field this year, hopefully tomorrow. Nick Saban coached Dre very well at Alabama and from watching him run all sorts of backpedaling drills, cut drills, and quick change of direction drills, I realized Dre is not just an exceptional athlete but an exceptional student of the game. He is very smart and retains everything he learns.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Meh. I'd say that dude has had mixed results in the NFL. Either way, I'm not saying Dre is destined to be a bust. Just saying that his size and speed aren't exactly strengths. Wasn't exactly a ball hawk either. Nothing about him jumped out at me other than he played for Alabama, where he never backpedaled and rarely had to cover anyone longer than 2-3 seconds thanks to that tremendous d-line.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73805

Quote:
Meh. I'd say that dude has had mixed results in the NFL. Either way, I'm not saying Dre is destined to be a bust. Just saying that his size and speed aren't exactly strengths. Wasn't exactly a ball hawk either. Nothing about him jumped out at me other than he played for Alabama, where he never backpedaled and rarely had to cover anyone longer than 2-3 seconds thanks to that tremendous d-line.
When DRC actually plays man (loltheirdefensivescheme), he's definitely one of the better CBs in the league
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
When DRC actually plays man (loltheirdefensivescheme), he's definitely one of the better CBs in the league
He's not bad. I was just miffed that Bfine actually came up with someone the same size as Dre. Still, corners that skinny are pretty rare.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
So much fail in this post
(not so witty) quips are always better than coherent responses. Good show, sir.

Quote:
He's not bad. I was just miffed that Bfine actually came up with someone the same size as Dre. Still, corners that skinny are pretty rare.
DRC was the only corner I saw with comparable height/weight to Dre, but he ran a 4.29? 40. Huge difference. WTS, speed isn't everything, but it can't be discounted. I don't question Dre's heart and determination to succeed, but at this level that's not always enough to overcome physical shortcomings.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
This is kind of a double edged sword.

He doesn't get playtime people will complain.

If he gets playtime but underperforms people probably give Zimmer and company more grief.

I am bittersweet over the pick still but it could have been worse.
I don't believe that people will give Zimmer grief for playing Dre and seeing miscues. The guy is a rookie that must learn and play thru mistakes. Not playing him pi$$es me off to a much greater extent when we play scrubs ahead of him like Newman and Co.