Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18073
Default Te'o Against Pittsburgh

Dude made me second-guess drafting him, although I hope we're not picking early enough to take him anyways.

Early in the game, he was playing timid, like Rey (not AS bad, but bad), and then, when he would try to go hard, he'd overrun the play, but it also seemed like he gave up on some plays.

As the game went on, he did seem to improve a little bit.

He looked good in zone pass coverage, but horrible in man, especially against tight ends (which is big in our division), because he played way too high.

Hopefully, it was just a fluke, but I'd hate if he looked like that for us.

Like I said, I don't think we'll be picking that high anyways.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Te'o Against Pittsburgh

I agree, I was never that high on Te'o myself, and I just hope we don't take him early. Being a 4-3 MLB requires a good amount of athleticism, instincts, and aggressive play. I think he'd be a very good 3-4 ILB, and probably an average 4-3 MLB, but I don't like picking him in the first.

He played very well against Oklahoma, but looked pretty average tonight.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 330

I'm not sure he really fit here. I like his decision making, his positionning & athleticism, but every time a single him, it seems like it miss something and i'm not really sure if I feel secure to take him in the first. After tonight, BTW, I really like C.J. Mosley & Milliner and I'm of Sam Montgomery bangwagon.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8458

I dont think we should jump to drafting a MLB in the 1st just yet. I think we should try out Burfict there before we look to the draft. Plus im not really in love with any of the prospects out there. Te'o is good, but hes not a plug in from day one kind of guy. He would need to sit for a year.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2847

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
I dont think we should jump to drafting a MLB in the 1st just yet. I think we should try out Burfict there before we look to the draft. Plus im not really in love with any of the prospects out there. Te'o is good, but hes not a plug in from day one kind of guy. He would need to sit for a year.
I was somewhat with you until the bolded part. Guys aren't drafted in the first and expected to sit on defense unless it's the Ravens or Steelers of recent years. If he was drafted, there's no way you put someone ahead of him, given our talent (lack thereof) at LB.

This guy is the best in the class, and would have been right behind Kuechly(sp) had he decided to jump ship last year. Players have games they don't play up to superstar level, and he's not immune.

If they decided to keep Burfict on the outside where he is effective, I would be happy. We don't know how Howard is going to return, or even if he is. Obviously, there are many things in play that need to be settled, but I'd definitely welcome Te'o with our first pick. We could do a ton worse.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18073

Te'o just didn't look aggressive and wasn't blowing up blocks to get to runners.

I was just completely unimpressed and felt like I was watching a fourth grader who didn't know his assigment and was afraid of contact.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Te'o just didn't look aggressive and wasn't blowing up blocks to get to runners.

I was just completely unimpressed and felt like I was watching a fourth grader who didn't know his assigment and was afraid of contact.
Meanwhile Alec Ogletree is running step for step with a back out of the back field getting an interception 40+ yards down field and attacking run plays. Kid looks very good.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3061

I've had him as Rey 2.0 for some time now.

"I've got two contracts in my life: One with my wife and the other to protect Andy Dalton." - Andrew Whitworth