Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571
Default Last Years Low Attendence Revisited

And people wonder why the attendence was low last year for a playoff team (9-7)...

Well...it's because fans don't have trust that this franchise will win consistantly. When expectations are there, this team folds. Fans want to believe. The hope for this season came in the form of a 9-7 season the year before. Sure that 9-7 came against soft competition...but it was hope.

The 2nd half of last season, this team had a chance to make it a special season...with 10 or 11 wins. It also had a chance to take control of it's playoff destiny.

They started the year 6-2.

Then with a knock that they built that record against soft competition, they lost to the Steelers and Ravens. Then they beat the Browns. Then, they lost to the Steelers and Texans. The Steelers loss was 35-7. The Houston loss was a game that we had won, but gave away.

Then, wins against the lowly Rams and Cardinals...and a loss to the Ravens.

So that was 4 chances to beat the Steelers or Ravens...and they lost all 4. They backed into the playoffs...all they needed was to beat one of these winning teams.

This franchise gets fans hopes up...only to let them down.

Same with this season. High hopes. Disappointment.

Our power win in the 1st half of the season was against a team that was 3-6.

Rinse. Repeat.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3217
Default Re: Last Years Low Attendence Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
And people wonder why the attendence was low last year for a playoff team (9-7)...

Well...it's because fans don't have trust that this franchise will win consistantly. When expectations are there, this team folds. Fans want to believe. The hope for this season came in the form of a 9-7 season the year before. Sure that 9-7 came against soft competition...but it was hope.

The 2nd half of last season, this team had a chance to make it a special season...with 10 or 11 wins. It also had a chance to take control of it's playoff destiny.

Then with a knock that they built that record against soft competition, they lost to the Steelers and Ravens. Then they beat the Browns. Then, they lost to the Steelers and Texans. The Steelers loss was 35-7. The Houston loss was a game that we had won, but gave away.

So that was 4 chances to beat the Steelers or Ravens...and they lost all 4. They backed into the playoffs...all they needed was to beat one of these winning teams.

Rinse. Repeat.
Even when good things happen, it's like they try to give it all away. We barely squeaked into the playoffs last year, and if the Jets had shown up at home, or that Cardinal receiver didn't trip over the 3 yard line, then we wouldn't have even had the opportunity to go to Houston to get our collective *** handed to us.

Yesterday was a great microcosim of this entire franchise. Do well enough, hang around long enough, just to get you hooked, get you believing, get you buying seats and jerseys and thinking we have a chance. Then, yank the damn rug out from under you.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about. - Mark Twain
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad41 View Post
Even when good things happen, it's like they try to give it all away. We barely squeaked into the playoffs last year, and if the Jets had shown up at home, or that Cardinal receiver didn't trip over the 3 yard line, then we wouldn't have even had the opportunity to go to Houston to get our collective *** handed to us.

Yesterday was a great microcosim of this entire franchise. Do well enough, hang around long enough, just to get you hooked, get you believing, get you buying seats and jerseys and thinking we have a chance. Then, yank the damn rug out from under you.
The Broncos Game was the same way. As soon as we had a glimmer of hope to win, the offensive line got 2 holding penalties and Dalton threw an interception.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3198

Quote:

Rinse. Repeat.
I got 3 tickets for 10 bucks a piece to yesterdays game lol

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10267

Our attendence is gonna go in the crapper from here on out if big changes don't come soon, it's that simple.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6245

Quote:

Rinse. Repeat.
Just checking in here. How are the Rams, the Browns, the Bills, the Lions any different?

It seems to me that the Bengals are inconsistant winners verses the above mentioned teams consistantly losing.

But, even with consistantly losing, these fan bases seem to have supported their teams more consistantly.

Rationalizing the "justification" for this fan base not supporting a 2011 playoff team astounds me; but unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Just checking in here. How are the Rams, the Browns, the Bills, the Lions any different?

It seems to me that the Bengals are inconsistant winners verses the above mentioned teams consistantly losing.

But, even with consistantly losing, these fan bases seem to have supported their teams more consistantly.

Rationalizing the "justification" for this fan base not supporting a 2011 playoff team astounds me; but unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me.
We've had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years...and you call us 'inconsistant winners'?

We've had 9 seasons of 4 wins or less.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
We've had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years...and you call us 'inconsistant winners'?

We've had 9 seasons of 4 wins or less.
Again, you aren't considering their "peers"?

How have the Lions, Rams, Browns, Bills been in the last 10 years?

Hint: Terrible.
Second hint: Worse than the Bengals.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again, you aren't considering their "peers"?

How have the Lions, Rams, Browns, Bills been in the last 10 years?

Hint: Terrible.
Second hint: Worse than the Bengals.
So you judge success for the Bengals based on the absolute worst teams in the NFL being worse than the Bengals?

Isn't the goal...to win playoff games? That's something that each of those franchises have done since the Bengals last have.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 657

I was surprised by the emptiness in the second tier of Paul Brown Stadium yesterday.

I do not live in the Cincinnati area so I can not be accountable for this lack of attendance.

I did attend the first game of the 2012 National Football League season at M & T Bank Stadium and will attend Lincoln Financial Field on December 13th.

For the National Football League franchise in Cincinnati. medocrity rules!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
So you judge success for the Bengals based on the absolute worst teams in the NFL being worse than the Bengals?

Isn't the goal...to win playoff games? That's something that each of those franchises have done since the Bengals last have.
I agree with The Pistons on this. You measure success based on how you compare to the best. Now if you are the Bengals or my coworkers it is how little can I actually do to not get fired.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I agree with The Pistons on this. You measure success based on how you compare to the best. Now if you are the Bengals or my coworkers it is how little can I actually do to not get fired.
Sadly, some fans will never get it. They just shift their metrics of success...

Now it's: We're better than the absolute worst teams in the NFL.

Quite a lofty achievement!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

I don't judge the success of the Bengals on the worst NFL teams.

But, I do evaluate the Bengals fan base by comparing other "losing" teams and their fan support compared to Bengal "fan" support.

WTS, it seems OBVIOUS that this fan base lags others in support and leads others in negativity.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1084

We were at the game and I was a little shocked at the empty second bowl. But then I started thinking...why would everyone fork over their hard earned money on a team that can't win on a regular basis?
My husband and I let our season tickets go last year. Half way thru the season the ticket office called and said that if we bought the remaining 4 games we would still be able to have our season tickets for the next season. We bought it hook line and sinker. Then this year we kept our season tickets and added a 4th seat. Geez don't I feel like a big fat dummy!! The $3000 we spent could have gone towards a really nice family vacation.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't judge the success of the Bengals on the worst NFL teams.

But, I do evaluate the Bengals fan base by comparing other "losing" teams and their fan support compared to Bengal "fan" support.

WTS, it seems OBVIOUS that this fan base lags others in support and leads others in negativity.
Is the goal of an NFL Franchise to win playoff games and ultimately Super Bowls?

How have the Bengals ranked among NFL teams among that goal?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Did anyone see the CBS camera shot of the mass exodus of the Cincinnati "fans" with the Bengals down 11 points, over 3:30 minutes left in the game, two time outs,and the 2 minute warning?

I also heard that Dave Lapham commented about the mass exodus on the radio.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did anyone see the CBS camera shot of the mass exodus of the Cincinnati "fans" with the Bengals down 11 points, over 3:30 minutes left in the game, two time outs,and the 2 minute warning?

I also heard that Dave Lapham commented about the mass exodus on the radio.
I saw it on TV. You mean you weren't at this game?

Are you saying those people are bad fans?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Is the goal of an NFL Franchise to win playoff games and ultimately Super Bowls?

How have the Bengals ranked among NFL teams among that goal?
When was the last time the Browns were in the Super Bowl? Never. Last playoff win? 1 win in 2002.

A series of failed coaches, failed QBs, failed GM, failed ownerships.

Detroit? Again, they have never been to the SB.
St. Louis hasn't been to the playoffs since 2004. (2-14 record in 2011 and had 7k more in fan attendance on average.)

All said, these teams have had greater fan support.

You complain about mis-management of the Bengals. Yet, all of these teams have had mis-management, yet their fan bases aren't as embittered.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I saw it on TV. You mean you weren't at this game?

Are you saying those people are bad fans?
I wasn't at the game.

And, yes, I am saying a "fan" that leaves at this point in the game is a bad fan.

The Bengals were still in it. Why leave?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When was the last time the Browns were in the Super Bowl? Never. Last playoff win? 1 win in 2002.

A series of failed coaches, failed QBs, failed GM, failed ownerships.

Detroit? Again, they have never been to the SB.
St. Louis hasn't been to the playoffs since 2004. (2-14 record in 2011 and had 7k more in fan attendance on average.)

All said, these teams have had greater fan support.

You complain about mis-management of the Bengals. Yet, all of these teams have had mis-management, yet their fan bases aren't as embittered.
Old Motto: Destination New Orleans!

New Motto: We're better than the absolute worst teams in the NFL!

Think it would fit on a shirt?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wasn't at the game.

And, yes, I am saying a "fan" that leaves at this point in the game is a bad fan.

The Bengals were still in it. Why leave?
Do they not pay the same amount for tickets if they leave early?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Keep going with this logic. I think it will be revealing.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Keep going with this logic. I think it will be revealing.
Perhaps it was already revealing...
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it was already revealing...
I agree with you. And this is rare.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 564

Every fan has the same rights as other fans. Just because someone does not cheer, root, watch, or stay as long as someone else, that doesn't make one fan bad and one fan better.

I'm originally from Cincinnati and have been a Bengals fan my entire life. I've seen the good (2 Super Bowl appearances) and the bad (the 90's-early 00's). I can understand how some people get worn out by this franchise. I, like so many others, had high expectations for this season. So far, this season has been a huge letdown.

We as fans have every right to voice our happiness as well as our displeasure. Unfortunately, it doesn't truly make a difference. With the revenue sharing in the NFL, Mike Brown makes a profit no matter what. Go to the games or don't, buy merchandise or don't, he's still making millions.

I think that is the part that is the most disheartening. No matter what we fans do, he's still depositing money into his account. He has no reason to change. He has no reason to listen to us and put a consistent winner on the field.

That is what makes the situation for us Bengals' fans really rough. We want our team to win, but good or bad, Mike Brown still gets paid.