Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 8
Default Cincy's Potential Free Agents

Thoughts on the upcoming free agents for the bengals. will we pay the money to keep some of the names around?

At RB we have B.Scott, with him on IR this year and already at 28 yrs old, I can see the bengals trying to keep our former 6th round pick around a little bit longer just for the fact we have a serious lack of depth, his role will be a spell at best for whoever we get to replace BJGE(we better replace BJGE)

RT A.Smith, our former 6th overall pick that we grabbed hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, but i do think he has panned out better than former #2 overall jason smith, and has outperformed the other two in eugene monroe and micheal oher from his draft class. its just the thought of the bengals paying to keep him around.

LB Rey Maualuga, taken in the beginning of the second round out of USC, its obvious who-dey nation isnt happy with his production or lack of it thus far into his early career. Vontae is a true MIKE and Maualuga hasn't exactly played tough enough to take over at SAM for Thomas Howard for when he returns. A quote I found interesting was that he said sunday after the loss on Lewis's comments on his needing to become more of a leader was "we dont need coach lewis telling us to step it up, he doesnt need to say it, we already know that we need to play better, but we dont need him telling us...." thats the first step in walking out the door of cincy, goodluck in Detroit maualuga.

DE Micheal Johnson, at 6-7 and 270 he is physical freak and better be our vocal point when it comes to keeping guys around. We let JJ slip away to houston and we cant afford to lose MJ either to free agency. He has the potential to be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL, with us trying him out at WILL set him back a year as far as developing, he has that raw talent and is getting better every game. This guy is a MUST for us to keep him around on our underachieving defense if we plan on contending anytime soon.

Knowing that Mike Brown wont pay top dollar to overpay in free agency it seems like if we let half these guys go we wont find the talent equal to their value. That's just my opinion, what do you all think?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8397
Default Re: Cincy's Potential Free Agents

We will lose whoever is the best of this lot.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25797

We will lose our good players because they are intelligent. We also will not sign big free agents, because they have a clue.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

It's going to be tough to keep Johnson. Some team will throw a huge contract at him.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 624

I cant see them losing Johnson after the JJ deal a couple years ago.

he will be tagged imo

"We treat it like the Hunger Games,"Whoever gets there first, me, Geno, and Mike are licking our chops like we hadn't eaten all day." -Dunlap
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1585

I really hope that they do not make any attempt to bring back Bernard Scott. It times to part ways with him.

The Bengals need a healthy, contributing back and a change of scenery may do Scott well. It would be sad and disappointing if he is back in stripes again next season.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2463

Of this crew I think Andre needs to be targeted because continuity on the offensive line is a must. Has he lived up to 6th overall pick? No. Is he still worth keeping? Yes! As for Michael Johnson, I would like him to stay. He could be a difference maker on the outside of the D-line.

I like Scott but he is getting old and is often injured, time to let him walk. Maualuga has been a major disappointment. It really depends on who is available, and what else we need.

Depth at CB is a must considering the age of our DB's. RB is a glaring need. We also need to see if one of the WR's can step up and play opposite AJ. (Baby Hawks sudden knee injury worries me-amazing how this just pop'd up).

Ian
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7137

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
It's going to be tough to keep Johnson. Some team will throw a huge contract at him.
Define huge.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

I wouldnt be upset if they all moved on.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3022

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post

he will be tagged imo
If we tagged him we would have to pay him in the top echelons of DEs. What part of Mike Browns history leads you to believe he'll even give him a respectable offer.lol

Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Quote:

he will be tagged imo
Joseph was a much better player than johnson.

I like johnson and hope we re-sign him because hes solid but hes not elite.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0499 View Post
Thoughts on the upcoming free agents for the bengals. will we pay the money to keep some of the names around?

At RB we have B.Scott, with him on IR this year and already at 28 yrs old, I can see the bengals trying to keep our former 6th round pick around a little bit longer just for the fact we have a serious lack of depth, his role will be a spell at best for whoever we get to replace BJGE(we better replace BJGE)

RT A.Smith, our former 6th overall pick that we grabbed hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, but i do think he has panned out better than former #2 overall jason smith, and has outperformed the other two in eugene monroe and micheal oher from his draft class. its just the thought of the bengals paying to keep him around.

LB Rey Maualuga, taken in the beginning of the second round out of USC, its obvious who-dey nation isnt happy with his production or lack of it thus far into his early career. Vontae is a true MIKE and Maualuga hasn't exactly played tough enough to take over at SAM for Thomas Howard for when he returns. A quote I found interesting was that he said sunday after the loss on Lewis's comments on his needing to become more of a leader was "we dont need coach lewis telling us to step it up, he doesnt need to say it, we already know that we need to play better, but we dont need him telling us...." thats the first step in walking out the door of cincy, goodluck in Detroit maualuga.

DE Micheal Johnson, at 6-7 and 270 he is physical freak and better be our vocal point when it comes to keeping guys around. We let JJ slip away to houston and we cant afford to lose MJ either to free agency. He has the potential to be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL, with us trying him out at WILL set him back a year as far as developing, he has that raw talent and is getting better every game. This guy is a MUST for us to keep him around on our underachieving defense if we plan on contending anytime soon.

Knowing that Mike Brown wont pay top dollar to overpay in free agency it seems like if we let half these guys go we wont find the talent equal to their value. That's just my opinion, what do you all think?
BJGE will still be here next year. He still has 2 more years on his contract after this season and mike brown doesnt let money go.

Andre Smith MUST be re-signed. If you let good first round picks go over money then why was dont we just forfeit our 1sts.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

No one has conidered that none of these players may not want to come back next year.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
If we tagged him we would have to pay him in the top echelons of DEs. What part of Mike Browns history leads you to believe he'll even give him a respectable offer.lol
with how the JJ deal went down. Thats what leads me to that conclusion

"We treat it like the Hunger Games,"Whoever gets there first, me, Geno, and Mike are licking our chops like we hadn't eaten all day." -Dunlap
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

I really hope we can keep MJ. Earlier I said I would draw the line at paying him top 10 money, but now I am rethinking that. I would give him top 10 cash because if we dont, someone will. And also the kid has been the most reliable player we have had on the Dline and is crucial to having a solid rotation.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I really hope we can keep MJ. Earlier I said I would draw the line at paying him top 10 money, but now I am rethinking that. I would give him top 10 cash because if we dont, someone will. And also the kid has been the most reliable player we have had on the Dline and is crucial to having a solid rotation.
I'd say he's above average overall.

Our defensive line tends to get neutralized against good teams and they beat up the bad teams like the Redskins and Jaguars.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4023

Whether or not MJ is here next year depends on one thing, and one thing only (same as JJ).
All depends on if he likes it here or not. If he doesn't want to be here, no amount of money will keep him here.

Where's Toro?? He can give us a hint if MJ wants to be here...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

#15--gone, but never forgotten...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengaldefense View Post
No one has conidered that none of these players may not want to come back next year.
Everybody has considered it. But our staff cant control that, they can only control if they are fine with coming back.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 445

Let's not let Michael Johnson fall into the Antwan Odom-Green-Bay game all over again. He's had 1 really good game this year and that's about it. I dont' recall seeing/hearing his name a single time yesterday against Denver. He was non-existent in the biggest game of the year...again.

if we're still projecting 'upside' or potential growth 3 years into their career's - it's time to move on!!

In this case, i'd resign MJ but i woudl certainly not throw big time money his way.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1791

Quote:

he will be tagged imo
That, of course, requires Mikey Brown to have good judgement...which he doesn't.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremaineMackAttack View Post
Let's not let Michael Johnson fall into the Antwan Odom-Green-Bay game all over again. He's had 1 really good game this year and that's about it. I dont' recall seeing/hearing his name a single time yesterday against Denver. He was non-existent in the biggest game of the year...again.

if we're still projecting 'upside' or potential growth 3 years into their career's - it's time to move on!!

In this case, i'd resign MJ but i woudl certainly not throw big time money his way.
Why doesn't a guy his size bat any balls at the LOS? other teams do it regularly and often against the Bengals.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7083

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0499 View Post

The most important of the 4 to keep is Michael Johnson. He is becoming one of the better DEs in the NFL and with Dunlap we have a good pair of DEs

2nd most important to keep is Smith because we could have an offensive line that has played together next year. We have Whitworth, Cook will be back, the 2 new starting guards this year....you want Smith back to get the whole veteran unit on the field.

3rd is Ray.....With our injured LB back and with Burfict....Ray could be expendable.

Last is Scott who is never healthy and perhaps just can't take the NFL hits....When given playing time, he hasn't set the world on fire. ...and the injuries don't improve it any......

So Ray and Scott could be gone.....I'ld like to see them keep Smith and Johnson, but knowing Mike Brown and this franchise, they do alot of dumb moves. That said, look for Mike to keep Ray and Scott and let Smith and Johnson go....with Johnson being a Pro Bowl DE for whoever gets him. ...That would be typical Mike Brown strategy. Keep the worst, get rid of the best.

Last edited by kevin; 11-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 8

Before JJ left he promised Zim and Croyle that he was going to return, then POOF he signed with the Texans and left Zim "salty" and Croyle was the only one to call and congratulate JJ on his big contract (well deserved). All that said and "all the cap room we have" I expected to already re-sign at least one of these guys to an extension and so far its not looking that way which means they will all hit free agency unless we offer a dinky deal to B Scott then he may return but i hope that isnt that case. All this talk with the franchise tag on MJ or even Smith isnt going to happen, remember some of our recent franchise tags? 2012 PK Mike Nuggent. 2009 PK Shayne Graham 2008 OT Stacey Andrews. History suggest that WHEN and IF we use the franchise tag, its not going to happen or that either its a bad move, as in Stacey Andrews wasn't a starter and was playing for Philly the next season, and Shayne Graham had his worst season with the bengals that year then got let go after missing two field goals in the playoffs.
Everybody dont hold your breath and expect something amazing from this front office, we will probably franchise tag Kevin Huber this season. seriously Kevin Huber. Quote that
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1351

When some of these guys that we want to keep decide to leave, we can look at the hsitory of this club and we should be able to understand just why.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18585

I like MJ but he might be getting too much love. He danced as well as the rest of the DLine on passing plays yesterday, so there's that, I guess. He and Dunlap have been, at best, neutralized lately. IMO, the best 2 DL we have right now are Geno, of course, and Still.