Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Nov 4th Mock

That loss hurt. 3-5, and facing Eli Manning next week isn't a good position to be in. Right now my record prediction is 8-8, missing the playoffs, and picking somewhere in the middle of the first round (10-20) 14th in this case.

Trade back in 1st round for late-1st + their 2nd round pick.

1.25. C Barrett Jones, Alabama - 6'5, 302lbs

This is a very top-heavy draft, and there's not anyone outside the top 5-6 that I'm especially fond of. We might have gone offensive line last season in the first, but I have no problem doing it again. Faine and Robinson both got embarrassed today, and Cook is average anyways. It's a shame to see Zeitler and Boling excel, and our center still be the worst in the NFL. Jones is a smart, technically sound lineman that can play any of the interior line positions effectively.

Projected Stats: 10 games started

2.34. WR Robert Woods, USC - 6'1 195lbs

I shouldn't have to point out our lack of an effective #2, but people seem to think we don't need one early. I think we do. I think Woods slides out of the first round because he's been slow coming back from an injury, but I love his skill set. Woods would be the perfect wide receiver to complement AJ in my opinion. Quick off the line, with great cutting ability and soft hands. Reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne.

Projected Stats: 650 yards receiving (5TD)

2.44. S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas - 6'1 220lbs

When Chris Crocker is one of your starting safeties, you've got a problem. I'd like to keep Mays for depth purposes, but he's just not progressing enough to have confidence in him. Vaccaro appeals to me because of his coverage ability; something we lack at the safety position.

Projected Stats: 60 Tackles, 1 INT

2.55. DE Corey Lemonier, Auburn - 6'5 255lbs

Lemonier is a natural pass rusher. He has great speed around the edge, and is best suited at DE in my opinion. Obviously he needs to add some bulk, but I think he's quite similar to Cliff Avril in size and speed. We need more pass rush, and our guys aren't getting it done consistently.

Projected Stats: 20 Tackles, 6.0 sacks

3.76. RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon - 5'11 198lbs

Keep seeing him mocked in the 5th-6th rounds, but there's no way that'll happen. Barner has elite speed, good vision, and is exactly what we need to bounce outside the tackles. Scott is as good as gone, and we'll need someone to fill that role. I really like Barner for this offense.

Projected Stats: 400 yards rushing (2TD), 150 yards receiving (1TD)

4.112. LB Jon Bostic, Florida - 6'1 246lbs

Bostic has improved quite a bit since last season, and might go even higher than this. He has 33 tackles, and 3.0 sacks on the season, and has flashed for the Gators. We need some depth at linebacker, and with the uncertainty of Burfict future (SLB or ML Bostic could probably play either position.

Projected Stats: 40 tackles, 3.0 sacks

5.152. TE Michael Williams, Alabama - 6'6 270lbs

I actually really like Orson Charles in this offense, but he's not much of a blocker. Richard Quinn is a wasted roster spot right now that could be devoted to improving the run game. Williams is a powerhouse of a tight end with superb blocking ability. We haven't had a decent blocking TE since Reggie Kelly in my opinion, and we need to get the run game going.

Projected Stats: 100 yards receiving (2TD)

6.200. CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State - 5'11 185lbs

CB remains a weak spot on this team, but I was reluctant to pick one early because of the return of Ghee next season, Kirkpatrick probably starting, and Hall most likely back to normal. McFadden is a very fluid corner with good man cover skills, but would probably end up being a PS player for development.

Projected Stats: -

Last edited by ibengals; 11-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3873
Default Re: Nov 4th Mock

I like it except for Woods. If you can explain to me why we want to bury Sanu and Jones (again) on the depth chart, I might see a reason to go WR early. I haven't heard a good argument why we should bury those two again.

Otherwise, good stuff!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
I like it except for Woods. If you can explain to me why we want to bury Sanu and Jones (again) on the depth chart, I might see a reason to go WR early. I haven't heard a good argument why we should bury those two again.

Otherwise, good stuff!
If they step up, then I'll change it. Sanu doesn't have the speed to go deep, he's built more as a slot receiver, and Jones is hurt right now. Until something is proven, it needs to be improved.

It's like saying we don't need a DE because we have Moch.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post

Otherwise, good stuff!
So we can get a top flight WR to play opposite of AJ and you wanna pass for 2 guys who cant get on the field because of Binns and Tate?

Let me be clear here, I like Sanu and Jones but if a talent like Woods falls to us in 2 you take him no doubt. Sanu I dont believe is a #2 WR and is our future at Slot, Hawkins has fizzled out but I do think him and Sanu play the slot and run the gadget plays. Jones is a 5th round pick who has done nothing to prove that he can be a #2 WR in the NFL.

Id rather go into the season with one of the top WR prospects in the draft lining up opposite AJ over 2 question marks that couldnt get on the field over Binns and Tate.

I like the mock btw, I dont want Jones in 1 but other than that Id be happy with Woods, Vaccaro and Barner.

Last edited by BobJones4980; 11-04-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

I think that there is merit to this draft.

WR: Green/Jones

LT: Whit/Collins
LG: Boling/Wharton
C: Jones/Cook
RG: Zeitler
RT: Smith/TBD
TE: Gresham/Charles/Williams

Slot: Sanu/Hawkins
WR2: Woods/Whalen

Lamur was impressive today. Burfict has been good. If Howard rehabs, then we have some good players at LB. Heck, Maualuga could be a good SAM if he agrees to it.

PS We have 2 sixth round picks. Add a RT2 to upgrade Roland.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24734

Only pick I dont like is Lemonier. Real robotic, stiff upper body.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Only pick I dont like is Lemonier. Real robotic, stiff upper body.
Who would be another pass rusher that might be available around the 55th pick that you do like?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Who would be another pass rusher that might be available around the 55th pick that you do like?
If he fell to 55, Cornellius Carradine, DE Florida State. He's overlooked because of Bjoern Werner, but he's currently projected a mid-2nd pick. Carradine has been playing well too. He's also originally from Cincy (not that it matters). Projected about the same as Lemonier in terms of round.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...lius-carradine
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

Quote:
Depends where the rush comes from. Denver runs a 4-3 and still got a pass rush with Miller at OLB. A guy like Sean Porter isn't him, but comes from the same school and could be around at 55. As to the OP, i like your mock overall.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24734

Quote:
That is up to the OP.
I dont know who he thinks will or wont be there.
I just know that Lemonier isn't what I would want as a pass rusher.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3873

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
If they step up, then I'll change it. Sanu doesn't have the speed to go deep, he's built more as a slot receiver, and Jones is hurt right now. Until something is proven, it needs to be improved.

It's like saying we don't need a DE because we have Moch.
That's not at all the same. Now if neither has hit the field by next season....sure.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40563

Put the best CB available where you have the WR and I'd definately vote for it.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Very solid draft. Love the Vaccaro pick. Michael Williams is underrated as well!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23527

Barrett Jones was my #2 choice in Round 1. Mosely just looks like the best defensive player that we'll have a real shot at, and we really need a force like him at SAM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 64

Love, love this draft! Beef up the O-Line and pick up a veteran DE in free agency and we could be on to something!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9117

We dont need to worry about WR for at least 2 seasons down the road.