Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519
Default 1/2 Season Mock

RESIGN:
Andre Smith- Smith is one of the better RTs in the league; although yesterday did nothing to help prove that point. I'd rather see him resigned then see us forced to use a high pick on a replacement.

Thomas Howard- Should be able to bring him back cheaply after the injury. We'll need to make sure we have a solid backup waiting in the wings should he not return to form; maybe Lamur will show well enough to secure a spot and we won't need to address it with a pick.

Manny Lawson- Knowing that you can't fix everything in one off season, I would like to see Lawson back on a 1 year deal to battle either a draft pick or Maualuga for the SAM spot.

Bruce Gradkowski- I wouldn't mind seeing a better backup brought in, but Gradkowski knows Gruden's system inside and out and we could definitely do worse.

Michael Johnson- Johnson is an important resign. I believe he would be a monster if used primarily as a PRS; but he is sufficient as a starter. I wouldn't give him top of the line DE money; but he is a 3-4 mill per guy.

Kevin Huber- Solid punter; usually gives us solid field position.

Rey Maualuga- No one will agree with this; but I think one of Rey's problems is he's basically been handed a starting job since we drafted him. I say bring him back and let him battle it out for a starting gig; if he doesn't win SAM or MIKE then at worst he's a solid backup.

Brian Leonard- Leonard doesn't get utilized much, but he's a solid player and a good #3 back.

Pacman Jones- Vet depth at a position where we need it. Hopefully Allen gets healthy at some point and Dre starts getting some serious reps. We need to know what we have before the offseason, CB could be a big need or a spot that doesn't even get
addresed.

Andrew Hawkins- Explosive speed on an offense bereft of it; Hawkins is a must sign. I do believe that he'll be an RFA, so I'm guessing we tender him on the higher end if we can't get a longer deal done.

Not including any other FAs although I'm sure there will be a player or two that pop up, just not any big names.

DRAFT:

1. Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame

At this point I see us picking relatively high, could end up in the 9-12 slot which puts Jarvis Jones out of reach, but should be the perfect spot to land Te'o. He's a natural born leader, a fiery competitor and could end up being one of the better LBs in the NFL. He has the looks of a 10 year starter and would be able to line up as a day one starter at either SAM or MIKE.

2. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

This is a great year to need a S and to have an extra 2nd rounder. There should be a plethora of talent at the position: Reid, McDonald, Lester, Rambo, Vaccaro or Jefferson could all be insta-starters in the NFL. Excited about the depth at the position!

2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

I'm going to go ahead and qualify this by saying that I believe Lacy has the talent to ascend to the #1 RB spot by the time the draft rolls around. He's the type of guy that could end up turning more than a few heads at the combine and Pro Day workouts; and he should have the stats (and National Championship ring) to back up those workouts. Maybe I'm higher on the guy than I should be; but I think he could be an excellent starter at the next level.

3. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon

Obviously Barner is the soup du' jour this week after tha eye poppoing performance and he should be! The guy has the break neck speed to be a serious difference maker and could be an electrifying player in the NFL. He could move up as high as 2 a la LaMichael James but I think 3 is more likely. He would be an excellent change of pace guy and we would have a pretty solid stable of backs with Lacy, Barner, BJGE and Leonard.

4. Tyrann Mathieu CB/S ex-LSU

I don't give a crap what he's done off the field. He's worth a flyer in the 4th round. We've earned the right to a least one gamble having played it safe multiple drafts in a row. No guarantee that he declares, but after his latest issue there is no way he returns to LSU and would have to find a home at a small school. I'd take the chance.

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia

King has never reached his full potential but could be a solid backup receiver. So many people are ready to declare WR2 a top need and spend a high pick at the position; now, I'm all for surrounding Dalton with weapons, but I would like to see what we have in Sanu and Jones before saying that we need a 1st or 2nd day WR. I think we'll see more and more of the young duo as the season unfolds and I expect some solid showings. I don't know that WR will be looked at as a big need by the time draft season rolls around.

6. Jake Stoneburner TE Ohio State

This seems like a homer pick, but I graduated from UC and am no OSU homer. That said, I think Stoneburner would be an interesting toy for Gruden to use; the only real downside is that with Gresh, Charles and Stoneburner we wouldn't have a true blocking TE. I'm also a big Michael Williams of Bama fan, he could be a solid #3 block first TE.

What it doesn't address: WR2, OL and DL. Again, you can't fix everything in 1 offseason. I would love to see us grab a starting S, a WR2, another pass rushing DE, an upgrade on the interior line, a starting RB, a change of pace back, a CB and 1-2 LBs; but that works out to fixing 9 spots, won't happen.

Not a bad start though IMO.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738
Default Re: 1/2 Season Mock

Honestly, I'm not a big fan.

As you mentioned you didn't have a single OL or DL pick.

RB is obviously a huge need, but I don't want to spend 2 high picks when we have so many other holes. (Even though I do like both RB prospects)

I absolutely hate the Mathieu pick. Not only is it a huge reach, he simply isn't an NFL caliber CB. What he would be limited to is being a KR/PR.

I usually like your mocks, but not this one.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Honestly, I'm not a big fan.

As you mentioned you didn't have a single OL or DL pick.

RB is obviously a huge need, but I don't want to spend 2 high picks when we have so many other holes. (Even though I do like both RB prospects)

I absolutely hate the Mathieu pick. Not only is it a huge reach, he simply isn't an NFL caliber CB. What he would be limited to is being a KR/PR.

I usually like your mocks, but not this one.
OL isn't a need IMO. We're set at OT if Smith resigns. RG is set for the next decade and Boling is playing well enough to lead you to believe he'll be a serious candidate to start even if Wharton returns. People also apparently forget that Cook is a coach favorite and is highly unlikely to be replaced. Therefore a backup or two through FA will probably suffice.

As for the DL, which position is a must draft? DT is set, no chance we spend a draft pick. As for end, if MJ resigns then it isn't a need and would be one helluva luxury pick if we were to spend a 1st or a 2nd. A vet replacement for Geathers is the most likely route at this point.

And for RB; our run game is a complete mess and this could fix it. A solid run game = a better Dalton which equals a better passing game which equals points and points lead to wins.

As for Matthieu, we'll agree to disagree. The kid is a unique talent and if he can straighten himself out off the field; he'll pay dividends to whoever takes a chance.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post
OL isn't a need IMO. We're set at OT if Smith resigns. RG is set for the next decade and Boling is playing well enough to lead you to believe he'll be a serious candidate to start even if Wharton returns. People also apparently forget that Cook is a coach favorite and is highly unlikely to be replaced. Therefore a backup or two through FA will probably suffice.

As for the DL, which position is a must draft? DT is set, no chance we spend a draft pick. As for end, if MJ resigns then it isn't a need and would be one helluva luxury pick if we were to spend a 1st or a 2nd. A vet replacement for Geathers is the most likely route at this point.

And for RB; our run game is a complete mess and this could fix it. A solid run game = a better Dalton which equals a better passing game which equals points and points lead to wins.

As for Matthieu, we'll agree to disagree. The kid is a unique talent and if he can straighten himself out off the field; he'll pay dividends to whoever takes a chance.
Our O-line is very solid except for the center position. Yes, once Cook returns things will improve, but he is only an average (below average IMO) center. If there is a good center prospect in the 1st couple rounds we should jump all over him.

As for DL, we desperately need DE help. We just aren't getting nearly enough consistent pressure on the QB, and this is a pretty deep class at DE. For DT, I think we would be in good shape if we played Thompson and Still instead of Peko, but the coaching staff seems to disagree.

Last edited by Archer; 11-06-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell :(
Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25178

I think you overrate the hell out of our current DEs but thats a different debate.
And I would generally agree with everything Archer said.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 688

I like some of the players but I can't get on board with a draft that does not have any trench players drafted (that is just my personal opinion). Te'o seems like he will be a good NFL LB but I am not sure if I would spend a top 10 pick on him.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post
I like some of the players but I can't get on board with a draft that does not have any trench players drafted (that is just my personal opinion). Te'o seems like he will be a good NFL LB but I am not sure if I would spend a top 10 pick on him.
Actually, Te'o is the only pick that I like in this mock, everyone else, not so much. I dont see what everyone has against Te'o?!

Dude is the best at his position. MLB is the QB of the defense. He has all the skills to be a successful MLB for years to come. Born leader, coverage skills, playmaker and run stuffer. What isnt there to like about the kid. Yea, he may have had a rough night against pittsburgh on Saturday, but he made the necessary adjustments and came out in the second half ready to show everyone why he is a top 10 pick.

MLB is our biggest need on defense. Why not use our 1st round pick on the best MLB on the board, and right now his name is Mantai Te'o!

I like the Te'o pick. I would take Vaccarro, but would rather have Rambo. Not big on Lacy. Id rather address another need, DE or OL and go for Ellington in the 3rd. Maybe Barner later if he is there. We need to draft a C somewhere. CB later. Maybe a WR.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post

Love Te'o. Love Vaccaro. Don't know enough about Lacy. Love Barner. Hate Mathieu. Don't like King, b/c I doubt a 5th round WR makes it onto our 53 man roster. Don't see how Stoneburner fits into the Bengals TE scheme. I'd like the Bama Williams kid. And you could draft a RT2 with our 6b draft selection or in place of Mathieu.

IMO, DE is a need. Dunlap & MJ simply don't get consistant pressure. And as I see it, they fail to win one-on-one's with any regularity. As for DT, this position is sufficient, but I don't think it should be ignored if there is a tremendous DT that could be a legit run-stopper. Peko has had differing views on productivity this year.

Lawson is horrible. Maualuga has under-performed this year. Howard was looking good. I like Te'o. Are you playing Burfict? Where? I didn't see Burfict in any of your comments. As I draw it up per your guidelines, it appears that there is 1 too many LBs here.

WILL: Howard/Lemur
MIKE: Te'o/Muckelroy
SAM: Burfict/Maualuga/Lawson

Last edited by mulligan; 11-06-2012 at 09:24 AM.