Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 128
Default "I knew him in high school!"

Anyone know anyone famous back from high school? My friend Damonte got a scholarship to play basketball at University of Maryland and has an outside shot to be drafted into the NBA. Not bad for a kid who was often picked last in middle school. What about you guys?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30701
Default Re: "I knew him in high school!"

I knew Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes who played in the Majors with the Astros, Cubs and Red Sox, and set some Japanese baseball records.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14728

Not from high school but from my area and have meet them and or hung out with them in several occasions. Marilyn Manson, Macy Gray and Jani Lane.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert

Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49816

I coached Ben Roethlesburger's pee-wee team. I made him run extra laps, as he was so fat.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

I knew former Sen. Bill Frist. He and I were in the same grade, albeit different schools. I've met a lot of different 'well known' people over the years, rather it be through my military career or though my kids. They're as normal as anybody else, at least the ones I know.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14728

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I coached Ben Roethlesburger's pee-wee team. I made him run extra laps, as he was so fat.
Thank you for the training it worked out well...

...bet you helped him with the ladies too....

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert

Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Is this why he also grew up to be a sexual deviant?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49816

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
Thank you for the training it worked out well...

...bet you helped him with the ladies too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Is this why he also grew up to be a sexual deviant?

I was always curious as to his fascination with the girl scouts. All the other boys were slipping under the bleachers, where the varsity cheerleaders sat.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

I played baseball against Nate Jones of the Chicago White Sox growing up and I played football and basketball agains Jared "The Pillsbury Throwboy" Lorenzen in high school. He was pretty large back then too.

My mom used to work with Shaun Alexander's mom when Shaun went to Boone County HS. I've met him quite a few times over the years.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18502

Played against Ray Rice in high school and am friends with Jermaine Paul aka last years winner on the voice's little brother since elementary school. My wife is also Carmen Electra's cousin and also related to Davie Crockett somehow.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54630

No one famous, but I played high school ball with a guy who played for the Bills a couple of years (Alan Wenglikowski) and in college I played with a couple of guys who went on to the NFL (Van Williams and Boyce Green). Boyce Green was the leading rusher for the Browns in 1984.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36752

I played football with Akeem Jordan of the Eagles in high school. I also went to school with Josh Sundquist. Oh, and Kristi Toliver, she plays in the WNBA (was 2009 ACC women's basketball player of the year for UMD).

Last edited by RhythmicGeek; 11-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

I played football in high school with Mike Hammerstein, who was a class ahead of me, his "little" brother Mark was in my class. In high school, they were both like 6'5" and 270+. (Wapakoneta, Ohio)

They both went to Michigan, for some reason, and Mike was actually drafted by our beloved Bengals and played a couple of seasons, he was Krumrie's bachup.

Mark was also an All-American, and surely would have been drafted, but blew out his knee.

I can say one thing. Mike Hammerstein was no All-Pro, but we won basically every game for 2 or 3 years, and I crawled home from practice, everyday. Mike was perhaps the meanest guy I ever met, and Mark might be the nicest I ever met.

But, yeah. I banged helmets with a dude who played in the NFL. And now that I think about it, that explains a few things.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I played football with Akeem Jordan of the Eagles in high school. I also went to school with Josh Sundquist. Oh, and Kristi Toliver, she plays in the WNBA (was 2009 ACC women's basketball player of the year for UMD).
I was typing mine when you posted this. Now I feel like a doosh canoe!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

My god, did everybody play with guys who went pro?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
I was typing mine when you posted this. Now I feel like a doosh canoe!
Why?

Quote:
My god, did everybody play with guys who went pro?
More guys make it to the pros than we realize sometimes. Just a matter of if they make a name for themselves.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why?

Because I thought it would be impressive.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Because I thought it would be impressive.
It's more impressive when you go pro yourself.

But nah, playing football in high school with someone who went pro is good, means you had a good system there that produced some top notch athletes. We would have had at least one more go pro from my years there. Only problem was one game we were playing he went up to intercept a pass and came down wrong on his leg. He had a nice vertical, so he had some height to it. When he came down the snap was heard in the whole stadium.

He ****ed up his knee, leg, and ankle. Ruined any chance playing ball after that. He would have been All-American at the least, maybe All-Pro. He had scholarship offers for PSU, ND, OSU, and VT.

I know that bit is kind of off-topic, just talking about these people makes me think of things that could have been and never got to be.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

Quote:
It's more impressive when you go pro yourself.
But nah, playing football in high school with someone who went pro is good, means you had a good system there that produced some top notch athletes. We would have had at least one more go pro from my years there. Only problem was one game we were playing he went up to intercept a pass and came down wrong on his leg. He had a nice vertical, so he had some height to it. When he came down the snap was heard in the whole stadium.

He ****ed up his knee, leg, and ankle. Ruined any chance playing ball after that. He would have been All-American at the least, maybe All-Pro. He had scholarship offers for PSU, ND, OSU, and VT.

I know that bit is kind of off-topic, just talking about these people makes me think of things that could have been and never got to be.
"If coach woulda put me in we'd a won state!"

Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey1302 View Post
"If coach woulda put me in we'd a won state!"

We did win state.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 40326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanye West View Post
Anyone know anyone famous back from high school? My friend Damonte got a scholarship to play basketball at University of Maryland and has an outside shot to be drafted into the NBA. Not bad for a kid who was often picked last in middle school. What about you guys?
Well it's not football, but there was a kid a few years younger than me but went to my highschool. turned out that he was a star wrestler, I think he may have won state. But anyway he went on to become a fairly successfull MMA fighter. Matt Hamill (sp?) He's known not just because of his skills, but also because he's def.

His signed pic hangs at the local watering hole.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19103

I went to high school with a Canadian Olympian, Massimo Bertocchi (one of athlons; he always did a bunch). He's 3 years older than me.

On the other side of the coin, I still coach my high school baseball team, and we have had 5 guys from the '92-'95 bdays that have gotten scholarships for baseball; one of them declined (it was to a small JUCO, wasn't a large amount and he wanted a good education, so he declined), another accepted (goes to Central Arizona, the top JUCO in baseball EVER, and he's tearing up Fall Ball right now), another accepted (goes to a private, predominantly Mormon school in Iowa I think, and he's been redshirted), and another had offers from TheOSU, MSU, Ball, and OhioU for baseball; he accepted the OU one 'cause he's an idiot. He's in grade 12 this year.

The guy at Central will make the majors one day, I guarantee; said he would be something when i saw him in grade 9, and he's done NOTHING to make me think otherwise. Hell, he made Team Canada as the youngest guy on their under 18 team in grade 10, then again in grade 11. 6'2, 215, cut and jacked.

The guy who accepted OU also has a good chance; when he was in grade 9, he was already hitting 84 fastball, and now he's hitting 89. 6'4 195 with plenty of room to add to his frame.

Also went to High School with the guitarist of the semi-big, but absolutely **** band called Abandon All Ships. he's a PHENOMENAL guitarist, and frankly is wasting his time with this band, but whatever. He have me his copy of Virtua Fighter 2, as I never owned it before.

BTW, the names of all these guys:

Massimo Bertocchi
Jhoan Falcon
Chris Boatto
Zack Sardellitti
Christian Botter
Daniel Ciccotelli

Can you see a theme? lol

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2777

I personally don't know anybody. My wife's cousin was Drew Brees roommate and backup at Purdue. My in-laws have met Drew Brees at several Purdue Football games.

Her cousin played arena football for awhile. Kind of makes me wonder had Drew Brees never went to Purdue would her cousin have gone pro.

His name was David Edgerton.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1884

I went to High School with Napoleon McCallums sister. He went to the same high school, but years before me. That's the extent of famous people I knew.

It's also the same school that Saints Offensive lineman Zach Strief went to, but I was ahead of him a few years.
to preach to the Gentiles
the unfathomable riches of Christ" (Ephesians 3:8)

Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2777

Also I played Varsity football against Josh Haldi. He was a QB for Madison High School and went to college at Northern Illinois. I believe he signed temporarily with the Bengals at one point. That guy had a cannon for an arm, it was like nothing I've ever seen out of any high school QB.