Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165
Default Geez, a little early for this

I have a quick question. What would most of you say about us drafting a corner in the first round and making Dre the eventual free/strong safety alongside Nelson. Probably wouldn't happen next year as we would still have a rookie that would not play all the time. But what if from 2 years from now, or first round corner is starting opposite Leon and Dre is a safety. Are you OK with this?

Or is it a must to make sure to grab another wide receiver in the top 10 to play alongside AJ?

I just do not want this top 10 pick to be a defensive lineman unless he is an absolute monster, but this is the highest bust ratio in my opinion.

Maybe linebacker, but does anyone believe like I do that Mauluga is built for the SLB?

So many options, but we **** so bad against the pass I feel like we almost have to take a Corner and play a corner a safety.

Anyway, just sharing my ideas of how one player could make the biggest difference.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Default Re: Geez, a little early for this

In other news, WalterFootball.com just had an excellent idea at the 7th overall pick.

Cincinnati Bengals: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
The Bengals have major problems at linebacker. They lost Keith Rivers this past offseason, Manny Lawson will be a free agent in the spring, and Rey Maualuga is arguably one of the worst defensive starters in the NFL. I don't know if he's hurt or what, but he's been awful this season.

Manti Te'o is having a monstrous, Heisman-caliber 2012 campaign and is arguably the top prospect available. This is usually a bit higher than middle linebackers will go, but Te'o is a terrific prospect and linebackers who can cover very well will have more value now with these athletic tight ends emerging.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22348

Milliner out of Alabama would be the only CB I'd even consider in Round 1, but there's better value for our needs at other positions IMO. Mosley for SAM. Werner for DE. Barrett Jones for OLine.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Milliner out of Alabama would be the only CB I'd even consider in Round 1, but there's better value for our needs at other positions IMO. Mosley for SAM. Werner for DE. Barrett Jones for OLine.
Thanks, I will look them up. I really do not follow college like I follow the nfl (plus the offseason is nothing but discussion over college prospects).
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
I have a quick question. What would most of you say about us drafting a corner in the first round and making Dre the eventual free/strong safety alongside Nelson. Probably wouldn't happen next year as we would still have a rookie that would not play all the time. But what if from 2 years from now, or first round corner is starting opposite Leon and Dre is a safety. Are you OK with this?

It's way too early to talk about moving Dre. I wasn't a fan of drafting him, but since we did we have to see what he offers at the CB position. If after the 2013 season he is just playing absolutely abysmal, then we should try moving him to safety.

Or is it a must to make sure to grab another wide receiver in the top 10 to play alongside AJ?

If Jones doesn't show he is #2 material, we may to have to seriously consider drafting a WR early. I would much rather they grab someone in FA.

I just do not want this top 10 pick to be a defensive lineman unless he is an absolute monster, but this is the highest bust ratio in my opinion.

We need an impact DE. MJ and Dunalp aren't consistent enough at generating pressure. (I would like to see MJ and Dunlap switch DE position and see how Dunlap does rushing the blindside.)

Maybe linebacker, but does anyone believe like I do that Mauluga is built for the SLB?

Rey could be a decent backup, but aside from that he shouldn't be starting on any team IMO. OLB may be this teams biggest need.

So many options, but we **** so bad against the pass I feel like we almost have to take a Corner and play a corner a safety.

If we get a more consistent pass rush that will immediately relieve some of our secondary problems.

Anyway, just sharing my ideas of how one player could make the biggest difference.
Reply in bold.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Reply in bold.
Quote:
have a quick question. What would most of you say about us drafting a corner in the first round and making Dre the eventual free/strong safety alongside Nelson. Probably wouldn't happen next year as we would still have a rookie that would not play all the time. But what if from 2 years from now, or first round corner is starting opposite Leon and Dre is a safety. Are you OK with this?

It's way too early to talk about moving Dre. I wasn't a fan of drafting him, but since we did we have to see what he offers at the CB position. If after the 2013 season he is just playing absolutely abysmal, then we should try moving him to safety.
I didn't mean for it to sound like a failed project. I just think he would be one of the best safeties in the league that can actually guard a tight end. He has the size and strength. Obviously if he becomes a pro bowl corner next year, you don't move him and may even regret drafting a corner, but it is an early first round pick and Marvin loves his corners. Yeah, it may not be a great idea for our division, but when it comes to playoffs and making sure we can matchup against the patriots or the broncos or someone like that. We almost need something like this to avoid being a one and done. To me one and done is worse than not making the playoffs, we do not have the talent to beat the best teams in the league on the road.

But throw in one of the best secondaries in the league and an explosive Green and we can beat anyone on the road. We just drafted 2 highly touted defensive tackles last year and you can get offensive lineman later. Not to mention we are not half bad at rushing the passer, even with our poor cornerbacks.

I could keep going with the reasons, but I also realize an extremely appealing argument could be made for just about any position on the field. Including quarterback if we draft high enough (I don't agree with it, but it can be argued successfully).

To me, the lack of a safety has severly hindered us for years. It has to be the reason our cornerbacks play so far off of wide receivers so that the opposing offense can throw slants for 1st downs all day every day. Corners that are excellent safeties would not hurt this team at all.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29490

I am all for drafting a CB early and moving either Dre or Leon to SS.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
^^^^^ If we took Milliner, I think Dre is a better fit at S.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
In other news, WalterFootball.com just had an excellent idea at the 7th overall pick.

Cincinnati Bengals: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
The Bengals have major problems at linebacker. They lost Keith Rivers this past offseason, Manny Lawson will be a free agent in the spring, and Rey Maualuga is arguably one of the worst defensive starters in the NFL. I don't know if he's hurt or what, but he's been awful this season.

Manti Te'o is having a monstrous, Heisman-caliber 2012 campaign and is arguably the top prospect available. This is usually a bit higher than middle linebackers will go, but Te'o is a terrific prospect and linebackers who can cover very well will have more value now with these athletic tight ends emerging.
This states every reason why we should draft Te'o!! Can anyone on here argue or debate the fact that MLB is our worst position that needs to be addressed with the first pick?

DE - we have MJ and Dunlop; can easily get a good DE in the second round
CB - Leon is doing well with the injury he suffered last year. Dre still has yet to hit the field; Allen has yet to hit the field; Pacman and Newman could be could nickel backs
S - again, we can address this position in the second or possibly third round
RB - not even going until the second round
WR - we dont need to waste a top pick on a WR
OL - center looks to be the only Oline issue we have; unless Andre doesnt resign, then we have a major issue

You could argue that we could address MLB or OLB in the second round, but outside of Jarvis Jones and Mantai Te'o, there is a drop off. They are both rated as the number 1 and 2 linebackers. It all depends on what they plan on doing with Burfict. Does he stay outside? Does he move back inside to his natural position? So until we know that, I guess we need to discuss both scenarios. He has done well outside, why not keep him there? Then again, he could be an unstoppable force in the middle and the only way to find that out is to put him there. Who knows....

I strongly believe MLB is our biggest need.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
This states every reason why we should draft Te'o!! Can anyone on here argue or debate the fact that MLB is our worst position that needs to be addressed with the first pick?

CB - Leon is doing well with the injury he suffered last year. Dre still has yet to hit the field; Allen has yet to hit the field; Pacman and Newman could be could nickel backs
S - again, we can address this position in the second or possibly third round
RB - not even going until the second round
WR - we dont need to waste a top pick on a WR
OL - center looks to be the only Oline issue we have; unless Andre doesnt resign, then we have a major issue

You could argue that we could address MLB or OLB in the second round, but outside of Jarvis Jones and Mantai Te'o, there is a drop off. They are both rated as the number 1 and 2 linebackers. It all depends on what they plan on doing with Burfict. Does he stay outside? Does he move back inside to his natural position? So until we know that, I guess we need to discuss both scenarios. He has done well outside, why not keep him there? Then again, he could be an unstoppable force in the middle and the only way to find that out is to put him there. Who knows....

I agree with everything you say, but I worry we may win one too many games to the point that we can't draft this guy. In that case, what would be your plan B from this list? I imagine Burfict can play middle and outside, so at least he is flexible and it may help with getting a free agent.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/ (don't know how good this site is, just saw an expansive list of free agents compared to other sites)

Outside Linebackers:
Joey Porter ARI
Shawne Merriman BUF
Manny Lawson CIN
Victor Butler DAL
Anthony Spencer DAL
Brad Jones GB
Frank Zombo GB (R)
Daryl Smith JAC
Demorrio Williams KC
Erin Henderson MIN
Clint Sintim NYG
Aaron Curry Oak
Travis LaBoy SD
Shaun Phillips SD
Lorenzo Alexander WAS
Rob Jackson WAS

Inside Linebackers:
Paris Lenon ARI
Spencer Adkins ATL
Jason Williams CAR
Nick Roach CHI
Brian Urlacher CHI
Rey Maualuga CIN
Scott Fujita CLE
Kaluka Maiava CLE
Rob Francois GB (R)
Kyle Bosworth JAC (R)
Jasper Brinkley MIN
Dane Fletcher NE (R)
Johnathan Casillas NO (R)
Josh Mauga NYJ (R)
Moise Fokou PHI
Akeem Jordan PHI
James Farrior PIT
Stevenson Sylvester PIT (R)
Larry Foote PIT
Gerald McRath TEN
Will Witherspoon TEN
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
No, we really can't. This years crop of DEs is so very top heavy. If we are lucky we would be looking at Okafor and Lemonier avaiable in the top of the 2nd. Both have been very up and down this year and proven to be less than domimant.

MJ and Dunlap are good when they are on, but it is very hit and miss with both pressure and Dunlap's health. We really need someone who can provide consistent pressure.

Quote:

What about Burfict. Is he the heir apparent at MlB or Will?
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29490

I guess my biggest concern about drafting Te'o to play MLB is do we want a rookie who is "QB" of our defense?

Back in April, dozens of people were calling Burfict the next Rey Lewis, and wanted to draft him to play MLB. Now that we have him, everyone wants to draft Te'o to play MLB. We have already heard stories of Burfict telling Rey where to line up at least once, so it seems he is learning the defense.

Now, if the Bengals DO draft Te'o and line him up at MLB, I won't object, but I'm not convinced they will.

Te'o for SAM though?

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
I guess my biggest concern about drafting Te'o to play MLB is do we want a rookie who is "QB" of our defense?

Back in April, dozens of people were calling Burfict the next Rey Lewis, and wanted to draft him to play MLB. Now that we have him, everyone wants to draft Te'o to play MLB. We have already heard stories of Burfict telling Rey where to line up at least once, so it seems he is learning the defense.

Now, if the Bengals DO draft Te'o and line him up at MLB, I won't object, but I'm not convinced they will.

Te'o for SAM though?
That is the position he will most probably play for anyone in the first year don't you think? Learn half the field first before learning the whole thing, but dude is such a playmaker that he may be just fine coming right in and starting a mlb. So I guess it all depends on him. I know I would love to have him as he seems to have some rare playmaking ability from the position.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 213

One question

Is there anybody out there who feels Te'o would be less prepared to step in day one and start at MLB than Odell Thurman was?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesafety13 View Post
One question

Is there anybody out there who feels Te'o would be less prepared to step in day one and start at MLB than Odell Thurman was?
Less, absolutely not. If anything, equal but more playmaking ability. I would more than welcome him. This very well may be the year we draft two linebackers in the first two rounds again. Although, I think Moch still have all kinds of potential.