Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2797
Default How will you feel about the season...

If we manage the win against New York?

Will you be hopeful that the season can be salvaged?
Will you consider it pure luck?
...or will you not even be watching?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: How will you feel about the season...

I'd still feel about the same honestly. Excited that we won, but likely to have that cancelled out by a loss to a team like Dallas, KC, or Oakland.

For all intents and purposes, this season is done. The only thing that would somewhat restore hope for me would to go at least 9-7. That way, at least the Bengals break a 30 year streak of not having consecutive winning seasons.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2919

It will give me hope because I could then see us going to 6-5 since the Giants game is followed with KC and Oakland. 6-5 is not the best of shape but it surely gives them a shot to make the playoffs if they were to continue to win. I think the team can handle the Cowboys and Eagles. The team can really only afford to lose 1 more game and I see it coming either against SD or Pitt.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16540

Before the Broncos game, people on here, fans I know, and even "experts" said that we need to win one against the Broncos OR Giants, but we barely lost to the Broncos and everyone throws in the towel before the Giants game............ weird.

We have very little room for error, but winning this week means we can probably lose two more and still have a good shot at making the Wild Card, which we could do.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18233

I'm still hopeful.
Our upcoming schedule is full of big names with weak teams.

I expect wins against KC, Oakland, Dallas, Philly and perhaps San Diego (they can **** really bad when they want to).

that's 8 wins.
Get a win against NYG, Pitt or Baltimore, and we're most likely in the playoffs.

To think, if we just took care of business against Miami and Cleveland, we'd basically be locked into the playoffs right now.

4-24-13
1. Cordarelle Patterson WR UT
2a. D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
2b. Le'veon Bell RB MSU
3. Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi
4. Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
5. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6. William Gholston DE MSU
6. Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)
7. Nick Clancy MLB Boston College
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3307

It hasn't yet been said in this thread, but I know a lot of people would see a win Sunday as just throwing a wrench into getting a better draft pick and meaningless in a season that holds no practical hope of playoffs. And, that's a practical way to think about it I guess.
I've thought that myself walking into that stadium a few times.

Like the beyond meaningless game at Christmas '02 against the Saints. We were 1-13 I believe. In a game like that it's easy days, even hours before the game, to pontificate in how you want to see a loss to move up the draft order or bring about some imagined regime change.

But once I'm there, actually sitting there, I just want a win. Win that day. Just that day. No worries about the next week or the last seven games or anything else. Just let me enjoy that one day.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about. - Mark Twain
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

I'll still feel the same. apathetic.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2919

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Before the Broncos game, people on here, fans I know, and even "experts" said that we need to win one against the Broncos OR Giants, but we barely lost to the Broncos and everyone throws in the towel before the Giants game............ weird.

We have very little room for error, but winning this week means we can probably lose two more and still have a good shot at making the Wild Card, which we could do.
9-7 won't get the job done. Right now it looks like the Colts, Steelers, and Chargers are going to be battling for the wild cards. The Bengals must finish 10-6 or 11-5.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16540

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
9-7 won't get the job done. Right now it looks like the Colts, Steelers, and Chargers are going to be battling for the wild cards. The Bengals must finish 10-6 or 11-5.
It could.

Steelers still play the Ravens twice, us once, San Diego, in Dallas, and even Cleveland twice because they gave the Ravens a game.

Colts need to play Houston twice, at New England, in Detroit, Titans, and the Jags blow but never know what can happen in a Prime Time game.

Chargers schedule in the next five is @Tampa Bay, @Denver, Baltimore, us, @Pittsburgh, so that's a hell of a stretch, and then finish with Carolina, @Jets, Oakland. That's not exactly a cake walk.

10-6 or 11-5 would be ideal, but alls I'm saying is that we might be able to get in at 9-7 or even 8-8 (we don't have any games remaining that are too far-fetched for us to win).

("Experts" on NFLNetwork even said so about 9-7 or 8-8 getting in.)

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

If we beat NYG, theres a glimmer of optimism in me.. Just a glimmer. Still have a tough schedule ahead of us.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 959

We can beat the Giants, I just don't know if it really matters with everyone winning in our division... I think our main goal is to get to playoffs and win a playoff game realistically and this is more than likely not going to happen. Hope it does, but more than likely going to fall short... So nice if we beat them but still a long way to go.. to accomplish what most of us want... on the field.

WHO DEY!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
I'm still hopeful.
Our upcoming schedule is full of big names with weak teams.

I expect wins against KC, Oakland, Dallas, Philly and perhaps San Diego (they can **** really bad when they want to).

that's 8 wins.
Get a win against NYG, Pitt or Baltimore, and we're most likely in the playoffs.

To think, if we just took care of business against Miami and Cleveland, we'd basically be locked into the playoffs right now.
you're assuming a lot of wins here. Cleveland and the Fins should have been gimme's but couldn't even handle them. I assume no easy wins with this bunch.

To the OP's point I had no major expectations hading into the season. I thought they were a year off. What I wanted to see was progression. Haven't seen that. Have seen them majorly regress. If we see the team beat some good teams and show significant progress I will feel that the season hasn't totally been lost. Right now I feel that it has been a disaster.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1083

IF, and that's a bif if, the light is going to come on this season - and have there be any point to it - it would have to be right now. This is more than likely a point of no return.

So, if they beat the Giants and actually look good doing it I will be hopefull that the back half of the season could hold a playoff birth. And, if the Bengals have a hot hand going in, who knows.

Realistically, Marvin Lewis peaked long ago in 2005 and hasn't been able to get out of his own way since. 2009 I give 100% to the players - who could forget Carson against the Browns refusing to come off the field on 4th down in OT to let Marvin punt away and play for a tie, only to make a play that led to winning the game?

2011 I'll give to an easy schedule that let a young team win early and build confidence coupled with a new OC and new players, I.E., not a lot of tape to go off of.

Nobody gets less with more than Marvin Lewis. So until they put together a great all around game against a strong opponent, I'm just watching like I always do - hoping for a win.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: How will you feel about the season...

Season became over once the Bengals went 2-5 in the AFC. There's no way they're winning the division, so wild card became the only option. That becomes nearly impossible once you have such a terrible conference record, because there goes all the tie breakers in the other team's favor.

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

At this point I will be pizzed if the Bengals win.
Season is over they need to lose out.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10400

The same, but we ain't beating the Giants.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 665

As stated in my thread, now 66% correct, "Three consectutive losses against Pittsburgh, Denver and the New York Football Gainst", the Cincinnati Bengals will lose against the New York Football Gaints. and will have a 2012 National Football League schedule outcome of 5-11 (wins aginst Kansas City and Oakland).

The 2012 Cincinnati Bengals are now averaging to the mean of the 10 year span since 2003...a mediocre football franchise with occasional playoff appearances.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
If we manage the win against New York?

Will you be hopeful that the season can be salvaged?
Will you consider it pure luck?
...or will you not even be watching?
LOL.

We went from expecting a win against the Dolphins...

to...

We'll beat Cleveland....

to...

I'd rather be 4-3 with a win against Pittsburgh than 5-2...

to...

How would you feel if we beat the Broncos and Giants...

to...

How would you feel if we beat the Giants...

We're like losing gamblers...the next hand will be the big winner!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

until we are absolutley out i still will have hope...winning will help anything losing for a month ***** but i havent gave up on our guys looking forward to seeing dre play and hopefully helpin out the D (if they play him) plus if we win it might give us some confidence it might be exactly what this team needs....To win against a good team to get their A** in gear

whodey
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9678

Now, I think the Bengals will give quite a few of us hope later down the stretch. Why? Look at the teams they will be playing:
The Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, and Eagles. To be honest, all those teams really aren't that good, and the Bengals have a pretty good chance at beating them all. So there is a chance this team can go 8-6, or 9-5. However, they also play Baltimore and Pittsburgh the final two weeks.

So while I hold some hope (I always hold hope until they are out of the playoffs), I honestly don't see them making the playoffs this season, and I don't think they will beat the Giants.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

It will depend on which version of Eli Manning shows up. He's not as good as his brother and he can throw some bad games.

I still pick the Bengals in the Football Pick'em, and that is why I don't bet on football...
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1073

That we once again underachieved and gave away games we should have won.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1337

I feel this team unable to beat 2 rookie QBs has really put us in a hole i.e Weeden and Tanneyhill.
This offense despite its shortcomings of being able to run the football has put up enough points to win.
This defense is lacking that mentality and attitude to want to put offenses away in the 4th q.
they let teams hang around and then allow QBs of all different types to put together killer 4th q. drives.
Opposing QB's are looking like Joe Montana and Brett Farve against us.
This Giants I feel if the Bengals win will give them that jolt of confidence with the games out West.
If they lose the season is offically over.
It's one thing to be below .500 but its another to be under below .500 with talent with a relatively weak AFC this year.
its not like the Browns who are expected to be in the cellar this year. I can deal with 3-5 if you aren't expected do dinky this year.
very under achieving team so far even with the injuries.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 37945

I'll feel like Santa delivered the Dead Cat Bounce a little bit early this year.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I'll feel like Santa delivered the Dead Cat Bounce a little bit early this year.
Huh?