Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default WalterFootball Mock 11/7/12

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

1. Manti Te'o
2. TJ MacDonald
2. Chase Thomas
3. Andre Ellington

Not AWFUL, but I can't get on board with Te'o in the first, especially when Hankins and Mingo are both still there. What say you?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: WalterFootball Mock 11/7/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

1. Manti Te'o
2. TJ MacDonald
2. Chase Thomas
3. Andre Ellington

Not AWFUL, but I can't get on board with Te'o in the first, especially when Hankins and Mingo are both still there. What say you?
I really don't want Te'o. I know he has looked great at the college level, but I just don't get a good feeling about drafting him. I'll probably look foolish 5 years from now when he's an all pro, but as of now I will pass.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Looking at what is on the board, Teo would be the highest rated guy. It would definitely fill a need.

I would much rather see the Bengals jump up to the #2 spot and draft Jarvis Jones. I think he would be a complete difference maker on this team. We need more top end players, not spot fillers.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Looking at what is on the board, Teo would be the highest rated guy. It would definitely fill a need.

I would much rather see the Bengals jump up to the #2 spot and draft Jarvis Jones. I think he would be a complete difference maker on this team. We need more top end players, not spot fillers.
Are you sure?

I have frequently seen Milliner, Mingo, Hankins and even Jenkins and Montgomery at times rated higher.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Are you sure?

I have frequently seen Milliner, Mingo, Hankins and even Jenkins and Montgomery at times rated higher.
I usually go off of ESPN's rankings until the draft process begins. They have Teo at #4 overall.

I guess they have Mingo at #2 overall, but I can't see how you can rate a guy that high with as little production as he has had this year.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I usually go off of ESPN's rankings until the draft process begins. They have Teo at #4 overall.

I guess they have Mingo at #2 overall, but I can't see how you can rate a guy that high with as little production as he has had this year.
Because he's still raw. With the right coaching, he's the next DeMarcus Ware. Has more upside than anyone in the draft.

^ Almost caught Yeldon from the DE position.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Because he's still raw. With the right coaching, he's the next DeMarcus Ware. Has more upside than anyone in the draft.

All good and fine, but I can't consider him to be that raw when he's been in that program for 3 years.

The road to losing is littered with players that have more upside than anyone in the draft.

I'm fine with using a pick in the 15-20 range on guys like that, but there is no way I could justify using a top 5-10 pick on a guy that hasn't produced.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20842

Quote:

That doesn't concern you?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2825

Just so I have this straight, there's nothing tangibly bad about Te'o. He's just not flavor of the month. Right?

BTW, that draft would be awesome.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
All good and fine, but I can't consider him to be that raw when he's been in that program for 3 years.

The road to losing is littered with players that have more upside than anyone in the draft.

I'm fine with using a pick in the 15-20 range on guys like that, but there is no way I could justify using a top 5-10 pick on a guy that hasn't produced.
I agree to some degree, but you can't argue that raw talent gets you drafted. Look at Dontari Poe last draft. Did NOTHING in his college career, but had a good combine and got drafted 11th overall. On the flip side, Aldon Smith was much like Mingo: pretty raw, great athlete, high ceiling. He worked out fine. You never know, but teams always gamble on players like that.

I'm not saying we SHOULD take him, but you can bet if he lasts that long we'll be taking a good hard look at him.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
I agree to some degree, but you can't argue that raw talent gets you drafted. Look at Dontari Poe last draft. Did NOTHING in his college career, but had a good combine and got drafted 11th overall. On the flip side, Aldon Smith was much like Mingo: pretty raw, great athlete, high ceiling. He worked out fine. You never know, but teams always gamble on players like that.

I'm not saying we SHOULD take him, but you can bet if he lasts that long we'll be taking a good hard look at him.
Some might say we have a shaky history with developing potential.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Im torn about sliding Burfict over to the middle.. Part of me wants to, and part of me thinks it will be a repeat of Rey. I think of we have good Will and Sam guys it will ease the pressure on the Mike and let him focus more on running the defense instead of trying to make all the plays.

How does this sound?

Will: Jarvis Jones
Mike: Burfict
Sam: Rey Maualuga
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 19

Im a huge USC fan and tj McDonald is not worthy of 2nd round pick...Ide rather have Robert Woods