Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Kelly was a great blocking TE, but a receiver he was not.

In 7 seasons as a Bengal:
126 catches
973 yards
3 tds

In the 1.5 seasons Gresham has played with Dalton, he's almost matched catches, surpassed yards, and damn near tripled the receiving TDs.

90 catches
1029 yards
8 tds

For all the hate Gresham gets, he's still one of the best receiving TEs this team has had in a LONG time.



Kelly had better hands.

Check out his catch percentages versus Gresham's...


I think what you mean to say is that the Bengals now use the TE for more than just being another o-lineman. And still I don't think they use him enough.
I guess, but it really doesn't matter how good Kelly was at catching the ball if the Bengals rarely used him as such.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,319
Rep Points: 31499
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

I would like to know why people think we're scoring 23.6 points per game. Cuz it sure as heck ain't because of our run game. If our defense was playing at the level they did last year, we would have a winning record right now and everyone would be on Dalton's jock.
__________________

Sig by CinWillWin
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
fozzie11 fozzie11 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 447
Rep Points: 323
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I would like to know why people think we're scoring 23.6 points per game. Cuz it sure as heck ain't because of our run game. If our defense was playing at the level they did last year, we would have a winning record right now and everyone would be on Dalton's jock.
i for one am completely behind Dalton and think people need to get off his back a bit, but it is harder for the defense when we have really fast three and outs plus the interceptions. people do need to realize that this is a very young team and we do have a lot of potential.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM
wildcatnku24 wildcatnku24 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 334
Rep Points: 232
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie11 View Post
i for one am completely behind Dalton and think people need to get off his back a bit, but it is harder for the defense when we have really fast three and outs plus the interceptions. people do need to realize that this is a very young team and we do have a lot of potential.
Dalton for president!

Wait... too much?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie11 View Post
i for one am completely behind Dalton and think people need to get off his back a bit, but it is harder for the defense when we have really fast three and outs plus the interceptions. people do need to realize that this is a very young team and we do have a lot of potential.
It has nothing to do with being young really. An inept HC and the lack of a ground game is the main problem on offense. This team would easily be .500 if BGE could manage even slightly better numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM
David From Cincy's Avatar
David From Cincy David From Cincy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,544
Rep Points: 50490
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Dalton hasn't changed. He's the exact same quarterback he was last year, with a little stronger arm; not much though. Last year he made a living on the short yardage throws, and now teams expect it. Doesn't help that we have zero running game either.
That's my thoughts in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 6,956
Rep Points: 13031
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

I miss the positive attitude from 4 weeks ago.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM
David From Cincy's Avatar
David From Cincy David From Cincy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,544
Rep Points: 50490
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I would like to know why people think we're scoring 23.6 points per game. Cuz it sure as heck ain't because of our run game. If our defense was playing at the level they did last year, we would have a winning record right now and everyone would be on Dalton's jock.
I disagree. I remember Carson Palmer having a similar year that ended in a playoff berth and people were ready to have him shot.

I hate how people seem to think you are either behind a player (and this a fan) or a "hater". Why can people not voice the slightest concern or disappointment in a player without being lambasted or labeled in some fashion?

Better yet why do we treat this guy like the golden boy. Can we ever mention anything about him or is he going to be Palmer jr. Where all we do is make excuses for the guy until he says he wants to leave at which point we attack?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM
BengaliJack's Avatar
BengaliJack BengaliJack is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,017
Rep Points: 6434
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Lemme tell you where we stink......THE PASS RUSH!!!! THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED ASAP!! Peyton and Big Ben both had all day to throw and I think both left the field clean as a whistle. Big Ben got his feathers ruffled a little but I know Peyton never got touched.
__________________


COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,319
Rep Points: 31499
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by David From Cincy View Post
I disagree. I remember Carson Palmer having a similar year that ended in a playoff berth and people were ready to have him shot.

I hate how people seem to think you are either behind a player (and this a fan) or a "hater". Why can people not voice the slightest concern or disappointment in a player without being lambasted or labeled in some fashion?

Better yet why do we treat this guy like the golden boy. Can we ever mention anything about him or is he going to be Palmer jr. Where all we do is make excuses for the guy until he says he wants to leave at which point we attack?
Not sure what you're talking about. Criticism of Carson Palmer wasn't overwhelming until 2010. We missed the playoffs that year, and Palmer was playing worse than Dalton is now.

I understand that the team is losing and that Dalton has 11 picks in 8 games. But it's silly and lazy to assume the picks are the reason for our current losing ways. I'm fine with critiqueing Dalton. I've mentioned myself that I think he's pressing too much when we're behind. But there's way too many people on here calling for Dalton's head, saying they miss Carson, talking about Matt Barkley etc.

How about we try to get a good RB for once, hire a fresh new HC etc. before we go throwing away a pro bowl QB who is showing signs of progress in his 2nd season? Another thing that bothers me is that people want to focus only on the picks while ignoring his other numbers, which are fantastic.
__________________

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-08-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Joelist's Avatar
Joelist Joelist is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Justice, IL
Posts: 4,647
Rep Points: 7105
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Kelly was a great blocking TE, but a receiver he was not.

In 7 seasons as a Bengal:
126 catches
973 yards
3 tds

In the 1.5 seasons Gresham has played with Dalton, he's almost matched catches, surpassed yards, and damn near tripled the receiving TDs.

90 catches
1029 yards
8 tds

For all the hate Gresham gets, he's still one of the best receiving TEs this team has had in a LONG time.



Kelly had better hands.

Check out his catch percentages versus Gresham's...


I think what you mean to say is that the Bengals now use the TE for more than just being another o-lineman. And still I don't think they use him enough.
Exactly. While they didn't throw to Kelly a lot when they did do it he was golden. In fact, until he got hurt and we injury waived him Donald Lee was actually also more reliable as a passing target than Gresham. Remember a pass catching TE has to have great hands above all else - speed is not as important for a TE as catching the ball every time it is thrown to you.

Plus Kelly was a great blocker and Gresham is below average blocking. Not as bad as some "TEs" we have had but not great either. It all goes to the original point, which was that Andy is doing what he has done with basically one reliable option on offense.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM
David From Cincy's Avatar
David From Cincy David From Cincy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,544
Rep Points: 50490
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. Criticism of Carson Palmer wasn't overwhelming until 2010. We missed the playoffs that year, and Palmer was playing worse than Dalton is now.

I understand that the team is losing and that Dalton has 11 picks in 8 games. But it's silly and lazy to assume the picks are the reason for our current losing ways. I'm fine with critiqueing Dalton. I've mentioned myself that I think he's pressing too much when we're behind. But there's way too many people on here calling for Dalton's head, saying they miss Carson, talking about Matt Barkley etc.

How about we try to get a good RB for once, hire a fresh new HC etc. before we go throwing away a pro bowl QB who is showing signs of progress in his 2nd season? Another thing that bothers me is that people want to focus only on the picks while ignoring his other numbers, which are fantastic.
The last year we went to the playoffs with Palmer in 2009 he was getting booed at the stadium. I was there, I remember that quite vividly because I got into several arguments ther because I don't boo my teams players. If you believe criticism didnt get bad until 2010 then I will respectfully disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still Aboard
Posts: 4,208
Rep Points: 12582
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Andy is actually better. The pass pro and run game are worse. We're constantly putting Dalton in 3rd and long situations where teams know we're going to pass.

Funny thing is, Dalton is on pace to put up numbers that are almost identical to Palmer's 2007 season.

Palmer- 373-575-4131-26-20 (86.7 rating)

Dalton- 364-570-4260-28-22 (86.7 rating)

In fact, the 2012 season is very similar to the 2007 season in other ways as well. Both had poor run games and defenses. Seems like that's been a theme since Rudi left.

Heck, just compare this seasons stat lines.

Palmer 201- 330- 2355, 11.7 yard average. 13 TD's,. 8 Int's, 85.6 rating. Seasoned vet
Dalton..182- 285- 2130, 11.7 yard average. 14 TD's. 11 Int's, 86.7 rating. Sophomore season.

Dalton is doing fine for what he has. No defense, no pass protection. and no running game.

The only change I see is that he does not throw the ball away as much as last season and tends to force more throws. Think this is born out of trailing in so many more games this season and him trying to get us back into the game.
__________________
14+18+25+85+82+12+84+32+42+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still Aboard
Posts: 4,208
Rep Points: 12582
Default Re: I miss the 2011 Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by David From Cincy View Post
I disagree. I remember Carson Palmer having a similar year that ended in a playoff berth and people were ready to have him shot.

I hate how people seem to think you are either behind a player (and this a fan) or a "hater". Why can people not voice the slightest concern or disappointment in a player without being lambasted or labeled in some fashion?

Better yet why do we treat this guy like the golden boy. Can we ever mention anything about him or is he going to be Palmer jr. Where all we do is make excuses for the guy until he says he wants to leave at which point we attack?
You make this statement but get in verbal arguments with fellow fans at live events with people just because you disagree with their spontaneous opinion ? Yea, that is not hypocritical at all.

I believe that this is a free country and all opinions should be allowed. Pro or con.
__________________
14+18+25+85+82+12+84+32+42+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.