Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 669
Default Re: 5 Things the Board has taught me

I wish we would just start winning so all of us on here wouldnt bash each other.

We all want this team to do well, we all have that in common......
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31613

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Believe me, I've been on the opposing side of you can't blame the QB for INTs debate for some time. Used to be a QB here that folks would blame on anything else. Obviously, not every INT a QB throws is his "fault"; however, not every inaccurate throw is intercepted.

I've just always been of the opinion that they work out in the wash. Most QB with high INTs is because they throw inacurrate balls and/or make poor decisions. Not just because it is something/someone else's fault.
The difference between Carson and Andy is that Andy is only in his 2nd year, and he seems to be progressing other than a few extra picks. His production numbers (63.9% and 7.49 per attempt) are great. Carson had a couple seasons where he threw 20 picks, and in 2010 he was just awful. He wasn't moving the offense anymore, and he was statistically mediocre or bad in almost every game from 2008-2010.

He had 5-6 games during that span that boosted his stats, but overall he was bad for quite some time. Andy still has upside. If he finishes with 20+ picks this year (I don't think he will), it's worthy of concern, but I think it's silly to start talking about drafting a QB next year (which some people are doing). All QBs not named Rodgers, Brady or Manning tend to struggle without a solid rushing attack. Palmer sure did.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

it kinda ***** having to throw the ball 40 plus times a game because we have no D or run game...plus alot of daltons picks were tipped balls its not like hes throwing right to the other guys/making bad reads i think he will be fine this is only year 2
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

[quote=bfine32;2679089]Not doubt, I'm just of the opion that;

If a QB consistantly throws a high number of picks it is because he is making bad throws, if he doesn't he is being smart and acurate (But I have been told otherwise)

If a RB consistantly has a high average YPC he is a good RB, if he consistantly has a low average he is not so good. (But I have been told otherwise)

If a DE consistantly has a high number of sacks he is pretty good at applying pressure of the QB, if he doesn't then he isn't. (But I have been told otherwise)

Terrence Newman got 2 INTs this past weekend and I considered that a good thing. (But I have been told otherwise).

The real thing I have learned on this board is:

We will manipulate any data possible to support our heroes and bash the ones we don't like.[
/QUOTE]

Ok.

I totally get that.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6376

One thing the Bengals taught me is, "As much as things change in life...the Bengals don't!"
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengaljunky86 View Post
it kinda ***** having to throw the ball 40 plus times a game because we have no D or run game...plus alot of daltons picks were tipped balls its not like hes throwing right to the other guys/making bad reads i think he will be fine this is only year 2
Tipped balls indicate he's throwing the ball either :
too late
too early
too low(at the line)
too high

What I'm guessing, is that this whole WR by committee carp is messing him up. He can't get in sync with anyone outside of AJ, and he's making too many inaccurate throws because of it.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
What is your point to this?
I think his point was.............

Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
it really is amazing how even though you are universally regarded as a joke, you continue to post here.

did anyone figure out what country this moron is from
No but I'm glad the **** isn't roboting out draft Flynn in next years draft anymore. Classic troll we have here.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
The one thing this board has taught me is that there are plenty of passionate fans
There ya go
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: 5 Things the Board has taught me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious-B View Post
I couldn't agree more, Dalton is good, our WR core is not.

Dalton in my opinion is not good, he should have had 4 ints in the Denver, he is just the best we have, I think.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20476

Quote:
Why would you want to bet against your team?
Just seeing if anyone out there actually thinks this season isn't over, and whether they will make the playoffs after losing 4 in a row is all. So far no takers, so yeah, basically everyone here gives us no chance to make the playoffs given how they have played. Besides, I only bet against them if money is on the line, or playing someone in fantasy that is going up against them, like Bradshaw this week. Hope Bradshaw has a killer game, but hope we win too.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Just seeing if anyone out there actually thinks this season isn't over, and whether they will make the playoffs after losing 4 in a row is all. So far no takers, so yeah, basically everyone here gives us no chance to make the playoffs given how they have played. Besides, I only bet against them if money is on the line, or playing someone in fantasy that is going up against them, like Bradshaw this week. Hope Bradshaw has a killer game, but hope we win too.
I don't see both of those things happening. If Bradshaw has a killer game, we're screwed, cuz Eli's gonna get his.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

Quote:
The board has taught me 5 valuable lessons that I was unaware of prior to this year:

5. A QB is not responsible for INTs

4. Interceptions are not a good way to judge a CB

3. A RB is not responsible for his YPC

2. Sacks really don't tell how good a DE pressures a QB

1. A season is over after 8 games
So, have you acknowledged the nobel laureate (s), from whom you acquired these nuggets?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Oh...as soon as we win a game...there will be fans saying we're back on track.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5583

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Oh...as soon as we win a game...there will be fans saying we're back on track.
Not if they are 3-10 at the time.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
The board has taught me 5 valuable lessons that I was unaware of prior to this year:

5. A QB is not responsible for INTs..........They're not to blame for all of them.

4. Interceptions are not a good way to judge a CB...... Sure they are, ask Larry Brown.......but yes they are a factor but not the be all.

3. A RB is not responsible for his YPC........To a large degree but you can't dismiss the Oline from the equation.

2. Sacks really don't tell how good a DE pressures a QB.........They're a good indicator but it's possible to register an effective pressure or hurry withou notching an actual sack.

.........It's not over, but this Bengals team ain't going anywhere and they're gonna lose a bunch more.

In summation, you've done well to learn football is the ultimate team sport, stats require proper context in order to really understand what is going on and that after 8 games when you're 3-5 with gaping personnel holes and a terrible HC, you're toast.

Well done.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
Not doubt, I'm just of the opion that;

If a QB consistantly throws a high number of picks it is because he is making bad throws, if he doesn't he is being smart and acurate (But I have been told otherwise)

If a RB consistantly has a high average YPC he is a good RB, if he consistantly has a low average he is not so good. (But I have been told otherwise)

If a DE consistantly has a high number of sacks he is pretty good at applying pressure of the QB, if he doesn't then he isn't. (But I have been told otherwise)

Terrence Newman got 2 INTs this past weekend and I considered that a good thing. (But I have been told otherwise).

The real thing I have learned on this board is:

We will manipulate any data possible to support our heroes and bash the ones we don't like
I'm glad u said "we", cuz from where I sit, u do it too. I know you think I do, but of course I don't see it that way.

In general, you made fair points above, but the first can def be countered.

For example:

If a QB consistantly throws a high number of picks it is because he is making bad throws, if he doesn't he is being smart and acurate (but I have been told otherwise).......Fair enough, but to that I would reply.....

If a defense doesn't have to account for a run game and only has one real receiving threat to worry about, they are much more likely to intercept some passes......Some folks tend to dismiss such context, I'm not one of them.

Also, when you talk about "not every inaccurate pass is intercepted....it all comes out in the wash"....That's just too simplistic. You're blowing off all sorts of stuff in the name of keeping something with a ton of variable simpler than it really is. Stuff like, good defense, one dimensional offenses, coaching, receiver play, offensive line play. And even all that is still leaving out one's own defense and how they can put an offense up against it, shorten the playbook and make them even more one dimensional due to never stopping anybody.

So no, you can't just throw out overly basic analysis that blatantly ignores so many vital factors and stand behind it like it is more than it is. Ppl who care to delve deeper into it are going to see through that as the shoddy logic that it is.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 11-08-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyviper13 View Post
I wish we would just start winning so all of us on here wouldnt bash each other.We all want this team to do well, we all have that in common......
Not gonna happen.. People will still bicker about stupid stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

6. When the team calls a play that fans don't like, it's Marvin Lewis calling the plays. When they call plays that fans like (Washington Game), it's Gruden or Zimmer.

7. When the Bengals make the playoffs, some invisible behind-the-scenes Brown family member is finally calling the shots.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18805

This board has taught me Dalton has alot of relatives that are members here.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31613

This board has taught me that everything is the fault of the QB. Unless that QB's name is Carson Palmer.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2834

Quote:

5. A QB is not responsible for INTs

4. Interceptions are not a good way to judge a CB

3. A RB is not responsible for his YPC

2. Sacks really don't tell how good a DE pressures a QB

You exaggerate what has been said (as evidenced by how you phrase everything).

But I'm 100% certain your #1 is 100% correct when properly stated: A season is over at 8 games if the team is 3-5, terrible, and is behind Pitt and Balt with no tiebreakers.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8978

one thing i have learned is this place is a real sausage factory
4th Brandon Ivory DT
4th Durell Eskridge S
5th Cedric Reed DE
5th Eric Murray CB
6th Malcolm Brown RB
7th Derrick Malone LB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41566

Folks still think a season is over after 8 games?

BTW go Bills, Pats, Broncos, and Ravens

Last edited by bfine32; 11-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334
bengals Re: 5 Things the Board has taught me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
In all honesty what have you seen from this team that makes you think that they can hang in there. Strength of schedule and the way they are playing leads one to believe that this team will be extremely lucky to break .500. I'm all for the "any given sunday" way of thinking, but some times you gotta be real and look at this team for what it is. Extremely underachieving with a long hard road ahead of them.
To be underachieving means you must first be talented. So you by calling them underachieving have already admitted their talent. Sometimes all one needs is a boost of confidence to get them over a hump or in a groove. They very well could have gotten this in the Giants game.

With this young talent that should only continue to improve there is not a team in the NFL they cannot beat. If they continue to play at a high level there is no reason this season cannot still be a success.