Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Would you want Rex?
Yes 21 15.79%
No 82 61.65%
Anybody who wants to win 30 22.56%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1522
Default Re: "Jon Gruden wants to coach again"

Story out there today about Jon following Reid with the Eagles. Strictly rumor.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
No way, if Mike Brown doesn't hire outside the organization then he's a complete IDIOT.
It's Mike. Throw logic or good football sense out the window.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCloud View Post
Story out there today about Jon following Reid with the Eagles. Strictly rumor.
Jon needs to come to the Bengals, Mike Brown needs to go after him!..FIRE MARVIN!...HIRE GRUDEN!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
It's Mike. Throw logic or good football sense out the window.

Idk, i just hope Mike will be smart enough not to pass up on this opportunity...Instead of waiting around another year for Marvin to lay an egg or be mediocre.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Idk, i just hope Mike will be smart enough not to pass up on this opportunity...Instead of waiting around another year for Marvin to lay an egg or be mediocre.
MB passes up opportunities all of the time, it's what he's best at.

And there's no opportunity there, IMO.

It's John Gruden. He'll have his choice of where to go. I guarantee you Cincinnati is in the bottom 3 for any coach in the NFL. The only reason anybody would come here is if they are a first time coach.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
It's Mike. Never forget who Mike is.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 52988

At the risk of echoing Cowherd, the "culture" here wouldn't be inviting to Jon Gruden. He'd be the proverbial square peg in a round hole I'm afraid. Mikey just wouldn't allow him to do it his way probably, and if he couldn't do it his way I wouldn't want him to even try it here.
No sense in dragging him down.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
MB passes up opportunities all of the time, it's what he's best at.

And there's no opportunity there, IMO.

It's John Gruden. He'll have his choice of where to go. I guarantee you Cincinnati is in the bottom 3 for any coach in the NFL. The only reason anybody would come here is if they are a first time coach.

Well Mike Brown better get his head out of his *** or else we're going to be last place in the division, because the new owner of the Browns is looking to do some things and restore the Browns...Possibly making Andy Reid there head coach if he gets fired.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Well Mike Brown better get his head out of his *** or else we're going to be last place in the division, because the new owner of the Browns is looking to do some things and restore the Browns...Possibly making Andy Reid there head coach if he gets fired.
You've got to get it in your head though... Most of us have accepted the fact that MB will not do anything to make this a better team. He will not bring in top-level talent and he will not bring in top-level coaches.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's Mike. Never forget who Mike is.
Well he needs to do something. Surely he wouldn't hand the organization over to his daughter in a terrible situation.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You've got to get it in your head though... Most of us have accepted the fact that MB will not do anything to make this a better team. He will not bring in top-level talent and he will not bring in top-level coaches.
Well he needs to, I mean god damnit. This is nothing but torture. He needs to get a good ****n coach to make this team better, BOTTOM LINE...He actually did some things in FA this year that none of us thought he'd do. He at least made some moves, so now i'm ready to see him take the next step and get a top tier coach to work with the pieces that we have.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Well he needs to, I mean god damnit. This is nothing but torture. He needs to get a good ****n coach to make this team better, BOTTOM LINE...He actually did some things in FA this year that none of us thought he'd do. He at least made some moves, so now i'm ready to see him take the next step and get a top tier coach to work with the pieces that we have.
What did he do in FA that none of us thought he would do?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Well he needs to do something. Surely he wouldn't hand the organization over to his daughter in a terrible situation.
Comes down to definition of terrible situation. Mike would consider this giant cash cow that can never do anything but make insane money year after year a pretty good situation. And if he thought winning a SB really mattered, he would have actually pursued it. If you have a mediocre team, the stadium is still pretty close to full. If you have a terrible team, it's still full enough. And the TV money rolls in no matter what, so...
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What did he do in FA that none of us thought he would do?

Nobody thought we'd get anybody in FA. We looked at Stanford Routte, almost had Dontay Whitner, looked at Dashon Goldson, made signings (not the best)..But he made signings when most of us thought he wouldn't make any signings. that's what i mean
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Comes down to definition of terrible situation. Mike would consider this giant cash cow that can never do anything but make insane money year after year a pretty good situation. And if he thought winning a SB really mattered, he would have actually pursued it. If you have a mediocre team, the stadium is still pretty close to full. If you have a terrible team, it's still full enough. And the TV money rolls in no matter what, so...

I think he was happy with being mediocre because we struggled for so long, & he was scared to get rid of Marvin because he liked being at least average than being the worst in the league. And he is scared to move on from that by getting a new coach because he's scared he might go back to being the worst team in the league.. well, we have good players & it's time to step it up to the next level and turn this team into a consistent winner by making Gruden the head coach.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7698

Quote:
Terrible in what sense? I wish my father would have handed me a terrible billion-dollar business!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19881

Quote:
Nobody thought we'd get anybody in FA. We looked at Stanford Routte, almost had Dontay Whitner, looked at Dashon Goldson, made signings (not the best)..But he made signings when most of us thought he wouldn't make any signings. that's what i mean
Nobody thought we would sign free agents that would have a positive impact on helping this team succeed. Well, that nobody is correct.

Besides, Bengals have signed free agents over the years as most would agree on. Just not ones that are difference makers in general, for the better that is (again most would agree on that).

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
Terrible in what sense? I wish my father would have handed me a terrible billion-dollar business!

Of course, if you put it that way. But hand the organization over with a terrible coach. Instead of changing the tides now and getting a great Head Coach like Gruden to make us a consistent winner. More wins = More Money.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post

Revenue sharing is great for the league, but bad for fans of teams that are ran like the Bengals.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown

Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

If Marvin gets fired, which he won't, I'd say Gruden coming here would be completely possible.

-He was gushing about Dalton in the pre-draft process, and ALWAYS goes off on saying Green is an amazing receiver.

-His brother is the offensive coordinator, and they worked together in Tampa.

-He always has good things to say about the Bengals on NFLN. (probably because his brother coaches the offense, but still)

-It's not exactly a bad situation besides having Mike Brown as a boss. This team has playoff potential, we just need someone who understands that.

Marvin will never be fired though it seems, so it's all pointless.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Looked at Routte (who is jobless at the moment), and almost signed some good players.

Ha.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Of course, if you put it that way. But hand the organization over with a terrible coach. Instead of changing the tides now and getting a great Head Coach like Gruden to make us a consistent winner. More wins = More Money.

What makes you think Grudan (Jon) would succeed here? He would have the smallest scouting department out there, a practice facility that consists of walls of air, and more than likely not much say on who the coaches are (see the assistants that have been around since the 90's and before). I would love to have Jon G. here, but the organization needs to realize it is the 2000's now so they can be consistent winners.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
What makes you think Grudan (Jon) would succeed here? He would have the smallest scouting department out there, a practice facility that consists of walls of air, and more than likely not much say on who the coaches are (see the assistants that have been around since the 90's and before). I would love to have Jon G. here, but the organization needs to realize it is the 2000's now so they can be consistent winners.
Yep.

The fact is, Gruden is the highest profile coach out there, and if he comes back to the NFL he'll have his choice of teams. The Bengals wouldn't even be in the running.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
If Marvin gets fired, which he won't, I'd say Gruden coming here would be completely possible.

-He was gushing about Dalton in the pre-draft process, and ALWAYS goes off on saying Green is an amazing receiver.

-His brother is the offensive coordinator, and they worked together in Tampa.

-He always has good things to say about the Bengals on NFLN.

-It's not exactly a bad situation besides having Mike Brown as a boss. This team has playoff potential, we just need someone who understands that.

Marvin will never be fired though it seems, so it's all pointless.

I think Gruden is a strong possibility, it makes so much sense...Does Mike Brown really want to waste another season with Marvin? If Marvin takes us to an 8-8 record next year will Mike Brown actually re-sign that man??? i don't see it, no way in hell. So why not get rid of him after the season and not pass up on an opportunity like Gruden to make your team a consistent playoff contender. If we have a coach that shows he wants to win too, then that pushes the players to want to be succesful as well....Jon & Jay would make this team great.

& don't forget, Gruden went to college in Dayton.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep.

The fact is, Gruden is the highest profile coach out there, and if he comes back to the NFL he'll have his choice of teams. The Bengals wouldn't even be in the running.

Well he'd be stupid not to come here or even consider it. Aj Green will be a future hall of famer. Burfict is a stud LB. Geno Atkins is a beast. Dalton is up and coming. We just need a few more peices added to the puzzle. I don't believe in the small scouting department deal, we still make good draft picks, and i think us fans play a part in who we draft as well.