Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631
Default Re: No sellout, not even an extention hahaha Worthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

As for you not having season tickets, I think it makes you a hypocrite no matter which way you slice it. If you live in Cincy, then you have no room to talk. If you live in another city, then you have a convenient excuse for not attending games, while you sit on your high horse insulting fans in a different city.
Always this in these types of discussions, If you do not have season tickets, then shut your mouth in regards to attendance...You are a hypocrite!!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20476

Quote:
Um... the things we just discussed? No bubble (just a rumor that quickly went away), smallest scouting department in the league (even though the team claims to model itself on the Steelers) and a constant reluctance to fire coaches who aren't getting it done (this has been a theme throughout MB's tenure, dating back to Dave Shula, the fastest coach to 50 losses).

As for you not having season tickets, I think it makes you a hypocrite no matter which way you slice it. If you live in Cincy, then you have no room to talk. If you live in another city, then you have a convenient excuse for not attending games, while you sit on your high horse insulting fans in a different city.

MB may care about winning, but he sadly doesn't care enough to fundamentally change ways that have not led to a consistent winner. I can't even believe I am back to my anti-MB ways as I once was, but unless this team wins like 5 in a row here, I just can't help it.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
MB may care about winning, but he sadly doesn't care enough to fundamentally change ways that have not led to a consistent winner. I can't even believe I am back to my anti-MB ways as I once was, but unless this team wins like 5 in a row here, I just can't help it.
I never stopped being anti-Mike Brown. The man has literally changed nothing, other than Marvin might have a little more say than previous coaches. He's still frugal in every manner you can be frugal while running an NFL franchise.

- still employs mostly family members
- still refuses to fire coaches who are under contract
- still no practice bubble (taking a bus to a soccer facility is ridiculous)
- still the smallest scouting department in the league
- we still have players talking about how cheap he is (most recently JJ)
- we still get players demanding trades
- he still bargain shops in free agency
- still no GM
- still no playoff wins in 22 years

The 3 playoff seasons were nice (I guess), but what are they worth considering we went 0-3 in those games? I guess after what I had to watch from '91-'02, I expected more than this below average stuff we've been seeing under Marv.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Why don't the Jets have weapons on offense? Do you think that it might be attributable to their 2 starting CBs occupying $18 million (15%) of the payroll? Revis is 4 year $46 million. Cromartie is on a 4 year $32 million contract.

In my view, I do see a correlation.

My point is that no other NFL team, besides the Jets, has as much tied up in their CB corp. And, besides the Jets, many other NFL teams are doing exactly what the Bengals are doing. 1 expensive CB & 1 cheap rookie CB.
Or it could be that their QB *****. Or their offensive scheme *****. I highly doubt it's because they spent too much on a couple CBs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8248

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
I value a player by how he does on the field. And to be clear, I'm not advocating spending 100 mil or whatever on one guy, that was insane.

There were at least two guards who would've been better than Wharton had he stayed healthy.

There were at least 2 CB who would've been improvements over the retreads the Bengals signed.

There were a ton of proven WR who could've come in and at the very least taken some of the heat off of Green

The Bengals did what they do, got FAs for pennies on the dollar when the market started drying up and now we see why the players were available in the first place.
The Bears signed Julius Peppers for 95 million or so, and thus far they are reaping the benefits. Sometimes it works.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
The Bears signed Julius Peppers for 95 million or so, and thus far they are reaping the benefits. Sometimes it works.
Just to play devils advocate.. How's that Mario Williams deal looking?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20476

Quote:

Bears also made a move for Marshall, which is also paying some dividends. Oh they also got Bush to pair with Forte, and Campbell to backup Cutler. Those are 3 moves that I would love for the Bengals to have made. AJ/Marshal, BJGE/Bush, and Dalton has a way better backup if ever needed. And then they could have went after a couple of other free agents on top of all that, not big names, but to upgrade some backup spots. Oh well, life as a Bengals goes on.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16605

Quote:
Good example.

The Broncos signed Manning for 96 mil. They're definitely an improved team. Before anyone brings up their 3 losses, they came against arguably the 3 best teams in the league (Atl, Hou, and NE) and 2 were road games. Plus they'll get better the more Manning and Co get acclimated with eachother.

The Texans signed Schaub to a 6 year 48 million dollar deal 5 years ago and that started to changed the course of their franchise. They obviously inked Joseph to a 5 year 48 million dollar deal just last year. Now they have had a top 5 D back to back years and are among the leagues elite.

The Falcons signed Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner.

Green Bay gave Charles Woodson big money. (Fyi, they turned around their entire franchise w/ the signing of Reggie White)

The Bears gave big money and some compensation for Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. As stated they paid top dollar for Peppers. They also paid well for Lance Briggs.

How big has Anquan Boldin been for Baltimore? That cost some serious money and a 3rd round pick.

Vincent Jackson has the Bus offense looking much better, and more dynamic. (So is Martin) They're off to a much better start.

The Patriots went out and got Brandon Lloyd. At one time they went out and got Moss. They traded for Dillon. Brought in name guys like Rodney Harrison, and Junior Seau.

The year the Vikings went to NFC Championship they paid top dollar for Farve.

Where would have either the Cowboys or Niners been without Deion Sanders services?

There's tons of examples where bringing in upper to elite talent has helped teams get over the hump so to speak. Just because it didn't work for Bills (yet) doesn't it mean it doesn't work elsewhere. And it doesn't mean people expect that type of money invested into one FA. Just much, much better FA's than guys like BGE Wharton, Bell, Newman, Allen, Jamaal Anderson, the other turd DL we brought in. Especially when you have the money freed up that we did.

This is the time we should be taking advantage of guys like Green, Dalton, and Atkins super low cap hits. Take advantage while you can.

It's too easy to look to one big signing like Mario Williams and call bs. At least give them some credit for trying to do something different? Right? They should have just done a better job. But kudos for making a move. ANY semi big move.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 11-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 848

Who expects anyone to pay to go to the stadium to watch this garbage? Eli is not dropping two in a row, and the Bengals Oline will get demolished.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19898

Quote:
I never stopped being anti-Mike Brown. The man has literally changed nothing, other than Marvin might have a little more say than previous coaches. He's still frugal in every manner you can be frugal while running an NFL franchise.

- still employs mostly family members
- still refuses to fire coaches who are under contract
- still no practice bubble (taking a bus to a soccer facility is ridiculous)
- still the smallest scouting department in the league
- we still have players talking about how cheap he is (most recently JJ)
- we still get players demanding trades
- he still bargain shops in free agency
- still no GM
- still no playoff wins in 22 years

The 3 playoff seasons were nice (I guess), but what are they worth considering we went 0-3 in those games? I guess after what I had to watch from '91-'02, I expected more than this below average stuff we've been seeing under Marv.
Exactly Shake and as long as MB continues our attendence is going to continue to dwindle. People are tired of it !
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Location: Norwood Where the N stands for Nowlege and O stands for Onour
Rep Points: 204

The 57 game streak was because people were excited....we had been so bad an 8-8 record was just awesome. Now there is just no excitement, hardly anyone outside the internet is even worried about the black out. When fans start having fun again they'll show up.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1032

Quote:
6 blackouts last year while the Bengals fielded a playoff team.

This year, the Bengals have a 3-5 record.

These teams either have 3 or fewer wins: Jets, Bills, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, Saints, Panthers, Rams, Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, & Chiefs.

I wonder how many of these teams will have blackouts.

Should be interesting to see.
WHO CARES who has the BEST fans?
What are you---12?

Why do poeple still respond to this?
Americans LOVE their football.
EVERYWHERE !
People are football crazy.

If you seriously think the issues with this orgaization is the fans---then why would anyone repond to such sillyness.There's not a human on the planet that would ever remotely consider this a factor whatsoever.

You've made a hundred post saying some other city has better fans.
WHO CARES if tampa has better fans.

OK-----some other cities have better fans---there--do you feel better?

Contact ESPN and let them know of this revelation.
Now that we know what the problem is, we can get it fixed.
Let Mike know---we now have the ANSWER!

Give me a break and stop responding to such lunacy. Better fans---LOL

Last edited by tmangoud; 11-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmangoud View Post
What are you---12?

EVERYWHERE !

If you seriously think the issues with this orgaization is the fans---then why would anyone repond to such sillyness.There's not a human on the planet that would ever remotely consider this a factor whatsoever.

Let Mike know---will now have the ANSWER!

I don't think it's necessary for me to say this. But I do believe we have a new frontrunner for post of the year! If this doesn't show the ridiculousness of this crap, then nothing will. I'd cite specific points, but the whole damn post is dead on.

Maybe the dude wants to invent a meter to properly measure one's fanhood.

Very well stated, I only hope it ends here, because there's a lot of other sports, in a lot of other cities, and lord help us if he starts comparing us to the sell-outs in college football.

LMAO You know, the Charlotte Bobcats are horrid, wonder if their fans sell out the arena every night they play? Let's start a committee looking into that.

rep
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14576

in the middle of a 4-12 season, i wouldn't expect many more sellouts. the bubble of excitement in the city has burst. i'm suprised to read people are actually shocked by this news.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmangoud View Post
What are you---12?

EVERYWHERE !

Let Mike know---will now have the ANSWER!

If you look at the context of this thread, you would see the validity in this argument.

The OP infers the "worthlessness" of the Bengals based on another blackout.

In my view, the "worthiness" of this football team is incongruous with the amount of tickets that Cincinnati fans buy.

For example, the Bengals went to the playoffs in 2011 and had the lowest attendance in number and percentage.

Were the Bengals "worthless" in 2011? I feel that some fans would say that the Bengals were worthless in 2011. Yet, there were 12 other NFL teams that had less "worth" than the Bengals in 2011.

In my view, fans can make a difference in home-field advantage; the 12th man. This helps to create a better home winning percentage (i.e. Seattle).

Perhaps, no one cares to be the best fans.

It just seems odd to me that in one of the only metrix for a fan base (attendance), the Cincinnati fan base was measured as the worst in 2011.

It would be extremely interesting to get more information on the percentage of fans that leave PBS before the end of the game. To the best of my knowledge, this information isn't available.

Who Dey!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
in the middle of a 4-12 season, i wouldn't expect many more sellouts. the bubble of excitement in the city has burst. i'm suprised to read people are actually shocked by this news.
Have you looked at the attendance of other 4-12 teams last year?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16605

Quote:
If you look at the context of this thread, you would see the validity in this argument.

The OP infers the "worthlessness" of the Bengals based on another blackout.

In my view, the "worthiness" of this football team is incongruous with the amount of tickets that Cincinnati fans buy.

For example, the Bengals went to the playoffs in 2011 and had the lowest attendance in number and percentage.

Were the Bengals "worthless" in 2011? I feel that some fans would say that the Bengals were worthless in 2011. Yet, there were 12 other NFL teams that had less "worth" than the Bengals in 2011.

In my view, fans can make a difference in home-field advantage; the 12th man. This helps to create a better home winning percentage (i.e. Seattle).

Perhaps, no one cares to be the best fans.

It just seems odd to me that in one of the only metrix for a fan base (attendance), the Cincinnati fan base was measured as the worst in 2011.

It would be extremely interesting to get more information on the percentage of fans that leave PBS before the end of the game. To the best of my knowledge, this information isn't available.

Who Dey!

The best part about all of this (This post, this thread, previous statements) is knowing that you're part of the problem, and that you're basically ripping on yourself.

How in the heck can you rip a fanbase for being so bad if you yourself don't attend the games? You just another one of these fans that is outclassed by Browns fans.

Your entire line of thinking is just broken. You have no understanding of how population affects attendance.

You can't seem to grasp that negativity and lack of attendance is built up over time, and last year wasn't a reflection of how well they played during the season, but the seasons leading up to it. Many of legwork in selling tickets is done in the months leading up to a season, season tickets are what propels string attendance. Last years lack of attendance wasn't because of last year's product or performance. It was built over time. No one knew it was a 9-7 team when they had pony up the cash in the Spring and Summer. You can't just flip a switch becauce a team is 6-3 and change an entire customer base overnight. To not understand how a product gains or loses momentum over time is ridiculous.

You refuse to looking at the trends over, say 5 years, 10 years, 20, and point to only one year or two year to illustrate just how bad our fan base is.

You're a total hypocrite, and ****** rocket for complaining about our fan base not selling out when you yourself don't support the team by buying season tickets.

Give me a freakin break.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 11-09-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 2354

wow the Browns are on there by-week..What game can people in Dayton watch? I guess the buffalo Bills!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
wow the Browns are on there by-week..What game can people in Dayton watch? I guess the buffalo Bills!
You get to watch Carson take on the Ravens
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
Perhaps a drive to Park Layne/ Medway/ New Carlisle sports bar or club to watch it out of Columbus on FOX......

or the internet....perhaps, first row free live sports, out of Europe....I clicked on this for last years Christmas blacked out Cardinals game with the Flip play. It was the same TV announcers, just internet screen instead of the TV screen.

Since I live in Park Layne/ Medway/ New Carlisle area and get cable out of Springfield with Dayton and Columbus channels, I should get the game on FOX out of Columbus without using the internet. ...but the internet Europe sports sites seem to be a great way around blackouts....and you are paying for that international internet hook up, so it seems more than fair to me. I think I had to keep clicking off the pop ups, but I got to watch the game. Internet may be worth a try in Dayton......before digital, all Dayton needed was a good antenna to pick up Columbus. Perhaps a converter box and a good antenna still has it's place. That is, if the converter boxes let you pick up distant areas, it may not....If a strong antenna and a converter box lets you pick up Columbus or Cincy channels in Dayton, that would be a good thing to have.

Last edited by kevin; 11-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
The best part about all of this (This post, this thread, previous statements) is knowing that you're part of the problem, and that you're basically ripping on yourself.

How in the heck can you rip a fanbase for being so bad if you yourself don't attend the games? You just another one of these fans that is outclassed by Browns fans.

Your entire line of thinking is just broken. You have no understanding of how population affects attendance.

You can't seem to grasp that negativity and lack of attendance is built up over time, and last year wasn't a reflection of how well they played during the season, but the seasons leading up to it. Many of legwork in selling tickets is done in the months leading up to a season, season tickets are what propels string attendance. Last years lack of attendance wasn't because of last year's product or performance. It was built over time. No one knew it was a 9-7 team when they had pony up the cash in the Spring and Summer. You can't just flip a switch becauce a team is 6-3 and change an entire customer base overnight. To not understand how a product gains or loses momentum over time is ridiculous.

You refuse to looking at the trends over, say 5 years, 10 years, 20, and point to only one year or two year to illustrate just how bad our fan base is.

You're a total hypocrite, and ****** rocket for complaining about our fan base not selling out when you yourself don't support the team by buying season tickets.

Give me a freakin break.
I am not going to touch this "hypocrite" argument. I don't own season tickets, but I attend several games per year.

If the same could be said of the remaining 2.2 million population surrounding area, then the Bengals wouldn't have had the worst attendance in 2011.

In my view, I am not part of the problem. But, I am guessing that you will disagree with me. Based on your logic, seemingly, if every Cincinnati Bengal fan doesn't go to ALL the games, then the Bengals won't sell out. What a great fan base!

My critisism is of the fan base overall. It isn't of each individual in the 2.2 million population.

If you would look to trends in the last 5 or 10 years (2 playoff appearances in 3 years, 4 pro-bowlers in 2011, new OC, hired oline consultant, added coaching position in Hue Jackson, several Bengals assistant coaches promoted to other teams, etc), you would see that the Bengals have out-performed several (dare I say, many) NFL teams. Yet, contrary to that trend, the Bengals attendance has lagged to these teams.

I find it amazing that people find ANY justification for not attending games last year.

Keep it up! Keep saying it isn't embarassing that the Cincinnat fan didn't go to the games while the Bengals fielded a playoff team.

Keep saying that lagging behind 7k in average attendance to the 2-14 St Louis Rams speaks to the "historical trends" of the Bengals. Compare the last 5 years of "historical" trend with the St. Louis Rams and/or the Cleveland Browns.

I don't buy it. But, in your view, I am a hypocrite. So who cares, right?

Who Dey!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
So do we here in Cincy thanks to the blackout.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7571

Quote:
If I still lived in Dayton, I wouldn't accept this as my only option....I would find a way to watch Bengals game, and final option would be watching no game at all. I would not let digital network television control me to where I watch games I don't want.....I drove many times in the 80s and 90s to a place that could show the game....and driving is still an option, but there are other options......again, use to be to get Columbus, all you needed was a good antenna, not sure if that works with a digital converter box though. I never tried it.

Last edited by kevin; 11-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4It View Post
So do we here in Cincy thanks to the blackout.
No you don't, you get no early game
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5583

Quote:
No you don't, you get no early game
Exactly right, we in the Greater Cincinnati area are sent to our room with out NFL football. Another well-deserved spanking for this unappreciative, sorry fan base. We are so bad we are naughty. We have one option chili-eaters - get out to PBS and watch our beloved Bengals collapse in the 4th quarter.