Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519
Default 1/2 Season Mock Redux

The first draft went over like a ton of bricks as many mocks that don't include FA additions do. I always stick to the idea that you can't fix every single issue in one off season, but I'm going to add a FA or two and take another go at the draft.

RESIGN:
Andre Smith
Thomas Howard
Bruce Gradkowski
Michael Johnson
Kevin Huber
Rey Maualuga
Brian Leonard
Pacman Jones
Andrew Hawkins

FREE AGENTS:

Jairus Byrd S Buffalo

Byrd should be the top safety available unless he receives the franchise tag. Coverage has always been an issue at the S spot for us and he would offer a huge boost. We wouldn't have that big intimidator, but our CBs would get a ton of help.

Max Unger C Seattle

Has had some injury and consistency issues; but he would be a solid young vet to bring in and allow him to battle Cook for the top spot. Could fill in at G in a pinch as well.

Mike Jenkins CB Dallas

Fits the mold of our CBs; former 1st rounder that's been replaced. He wouldn't be looked at as a starter but a very solid #3 and #4 would emerge between Allen (assuming he ever gets healthy), Jenkins, Ghee and Jones.

DRAFT:

1. Sam Montgomery DE LSU

Caving a little to the DE pressure; but it seems that Montgomery is starting to slip a bit in mocks, which means absolutely nothing this early, but I can at least get away with putting him in the 7-12 range which is where we will likely be picking. Montgomery, along with MJ and Dunlap would give us a hugely athletic group of pass rushers, with our depth at DT, our D-line could once again become the strength of our team.

2.C.J. Mosley LB Alabama

LB is one of our weakest spots but the return of Howard and the shift of Bufict to MLB could nearly make it a strength. Instead of handing Maualuga the SLB job, we draft someone to compete for a starting job; Bama LBs are nasty and Mosley would add some teeth to our D.

2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

All Alabama 2nd Round. I truly believe that Lacy has a shot at becoming the #1 RB in this class if he ends up declaring and even though he isn't the best RB on his team (Yeldon could be the next AP) he is a grinder with speed and could end up being a very solid NFL RB.

3. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon

This isn't completely based on his performance against USC (ok, maybe a little) but Barner is a great change of pace guy and it may seem like a huge investment to spend back to back 2nd day picks at RB; but we need it! Scott can't stay healthy and BJGE is miscast as a starter. We would have a well rounded group with Lacy, Barner, BJGE and Leonard.

4. Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech

Unique blend of size and speed; should make up for the loss of Tate. A lot of people want an early receiver; but I can't put one in before the 3rd until we see what Sanu and Jones can do. I expect to see a lot of them throughout the rest of the season. Hopefully Jones gets healthy quickly and hopefully they play Sanu a lot more.

5.Alex Hurst OT LSU

Big developmental T who could replace Roland; which would make more than a few Bengals fans happy.

6. Zac Dysert QB Miami University

Dysert impresses me everytime I see him and as a UC grad that is saying something....eff Miami!!! He would be a solid developmental QB and could be a very solid #2 in the NFL someday.

6. Brandon McGee CB The U

Tall (6'0") CB from The U with a ton of speed (projected 4.38) to develop on the PS.

TC Depth Chart (only 59 of 90):

QB: Dalton, Grad and Dysert (PS)

RB: Lacy-BJGE-Barner-Lenoard

FB: Pressley

WR: Green, Sanu, Hawkins, Jones, Binns, Whalen, Davis

TE: Gresham, Charles, Quinn

OT: Whit, Smith, Collins, Hurst

G: Zeitler, Boling, Wharton, Hudson

C: Cook, Unger, Robinson

DE: Dunlap, MJ, Montgomery, Moch, Anderson/Gilberry

DT: Atkins, Peko, Still, Thompson

OLB: Howard, Mosley, Maualuga, Lamur, Skuta

MLB: Burfict, Maualgua

CB: Hall, Kirkpatrick, Allen, Jenkins, Jones, Ghee

S: Nelson, Byrd, Mays, Illoka, Miles, Sands

K: Nugent
P: Huber
LS: Clarks

Only 3 picks to the D; *****, but we get a LB, DE and CB with a starting S in FA and a nickel or dime CB in FA. Not too shabby; will change a lot in the coming months. Hopefully, we have a good 3rd quarter of the season and we won't be picking in the top 10 4 weeks from now when I do a 3/4 Season Mock....
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499
Default Re: 1/2 Season Mock Redux

Like it
Byrd I just mocked in mine as a FA
Montgomery would be huge as a DE
Mosely would also be a huge addition
Lacy is my 2nd favorite RB
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8939

Barring injury or a bad combine Mosely wont make it out of the 1st round.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 64

I really like your mock and would love to stock up on running backs. I like giovanni bernard a lot but it looks like he is the new number one running back w lattimore's injury so he probably wont be around early to mid second. Barner could be really special on returns also!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

I thought Mosley was much more likely to play WILL in the NFL, not SAM. If you're looking for a SAM with our first Round 2 pick, I'd instead look at Chase Thomas of Stanford. He's more a prototypical SAM linebacker, and is much more likely to be available at our first second-round pick than Mosley.

I like Dysert pickup. He could be a good backup to Dalton, and is a good pocket passer with somewhat decent scrambling ability. He has been hindered by unreliable WRs at Miami for the most part. Nick Harwell is his only mostly reliable WR.

I also like Marcus Davis, as he has the size and speed combination to go opposite Green. Like you said, we don't know what we have with Jones and Sanu yet, and have to wait till the end of the year to find out. Davis is underrated as a WR prospect, but has been declining in production as the year has gone on, unfortunately.

I also think drafting two RBs is a great idea. Lacy would be our more complete back, with BJGE as our short yardage/goal line back, and Barner would be our burner and COP back. He can also do returns if needed/desired.

A huge benefit for us would be to try and land two solid FA contributors. Preferably at DE, CB, and/or LB. The safety class is very deep, but I have always liked Byrd too. Maybe him at FS and move Nelson to SS? Nelson plays more like a SS anyway.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8948

i find it amusing anybody thinks we will sign free agents of that caliber and 3 of them the same off season
4th Phillip Dorsett WR
5th Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE
6th Isaiah Johnson S
7th Junior Sylvestre LB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29777

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Barring injury or a bad combine Mosely wont make it out of the 1st round.
That's what I'm thinking.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
That's what I'm thinking.
Thought the same thing about Upshaw last year too, he was rated in the top 20 at certain points. Far too early to make that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
i find it amusing anybody thinks we will sign free agents of that caliber and 3 of them the same off season
I find it amusing that you think they're all high caliber FAs. Jenkins is the 4th CB on his team and Unger hasn't lived up to expectations. Do some research; obviously you only remember these names from the boards and their being high picks.

Last edited by Bech72; 11-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 838

Very nice off season plan of attack. I like the drafted RB duo & pass rush defenders, but maybe draft another LB late. I also would love the Bryd & Unget FA grabs..... Just solid addressing needs.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1574

I'd love to have Byrd. I saw him on a FA list a few weeks ago and loved the idea of it, but I'm just not sure Buffalo will let him go.

"[If I were a quarterback and Ivan Drago from Rocky IV was comin' after me, I would feel] scared." - My mom
Props to Bengalholic for the sig and Trademark for the Avatar