Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14834
Default Re: Armon Binns Through 2 Games

Binns caught all 3 of his targets this week. Through 3 games:

-He's been targeted 13 times and has caught 12 of them.

-12 receptions, 157 yards, 1 TD, 13.1 YPC.

-Projected for: 64 rec, 837 yards, 5 TD's.

Not too shabby. The thing I like most is the percentage of catches made of targets. (92%) It seems like he's pretty reliable. He's looked tough as well, as evidenced last week when he returned to the game. And if he's in the right spots, which I assume he is, I don't think you can underestimate that. After a few years of Simpson and Chad, it would be nice having a guy simply running the correct routes.

All in all, a pretty solid start IMO. He may never be Larry Fitzgerald, but if can be a dependable guy deserving of a roster spot every year, then we did great.

PS If anyone remembers my Binns vs Jonathan Baldwin comparison last year, we're seem to be making out quite well. As it stands now Baldwin has 6 catches for 98 yards, and zero TD's. One was a first rounder, one was undrafted.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3614

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
He has 94 yards receiving in 2 games...
Yards can be misleading he moves the chains more often than not and thats what you need in a WR.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

Plus so far he is not a drop machine like we had last year (Simpson and Caldwell - the Beavis and Butthead of NFL receivers).
Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4688

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyKlein7322 View Post
Binns has been excellent so far. Much better than I expected. We are fine at WR. That is not a position I am worried about. I am worried about LB and DE at the moment.
Yea, What he said

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2989

What's easy for Binns is there are no expectations for him. If he were a 1st round pick or a diva, there be problems.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: Armon Binns Through 2 Games

So where are all the....he was cut by a receiver needy Jacksonville people at now? Yep...all of us and you know just who you are so would love to hear your perspective now.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So where are all the....he was cut by a receiver needy Jacksonville people at now? Yep...all of us and you know just who you are so would love to hear your perspective now.
I'm one of them...and I've been very pleased with Binns. I mean, how can you not be? Dude has been very solid and showed alot of heart coming back into the game last week after that shot to the head. My argument, though, was never against Binns. I thought it was a crappy plan to have an undrafed FA who never played a down and Brandon Tate penciled in as starter opposite Green. Still not a fan of Tate, but really like the WR corp. I think Sanu will be a very good WR in time, Jones is a playmaker, Binns is a big physical guy and Baby Hawk is just electric in space. Turns out the Bengals were right, we did not need a vet via FA at WR.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21041

As a UC alum, I am so stoked to have Armon on the team and performing well. That TD today was bad defense, but he took full advantage of the guy playing too far off of him.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18106

What I like about Binns is that he is a good possession receiver that also has the ability to make moves and/or break tackles for big plays, but he can also slip deep.

Gives the defense a lot more field to cover and it opens up a lot more options for us.

Want to bring a safety into the box? We'll look off the other safety and go deep opposite to the side he chooses. Want to keep both safeties deep on the outside? We'll let Gresham go up the seam and kill you. Want to keep everyone off the ball? We'll force-feed you The Law Firm all game.

Thanks for playing.

(Sorry if any of that was said already.)

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I'm one of them...and I've been very pleased with Binns. I mean, how can you not be? Dude has been very solid and showed alot of heart coming back into the game last week after that shot to the head. My argument, though, was never against Binns. I thought it was a crappy plan to have an undrafed FA who never played a down and Brandon Tate penciled in as starter opposite Green. Still not a fan of Tate, but really like the WR corp. I think Sanu will be a very good WR in time, Jones is a playmaker, Binns is a big physical guy and Baby Hawk is just electric in space. Turns out the Bengals were right, we did not need a vet via FA at WR.
What people seem to be forgetting is that this is not the coaching staff of old. Gruden, James Urban and the addition of Hue Jackson are huge. Sure Hue is on the defensive side but I am sure they picked his brain about these young guys.

Maybe it is time to start trusting this staff and the personel decisions they make.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
As a UC alum, I am so stoked to have Armon on the team and performing well. That TD today was bad defense, but he took full advantage of the guy playing too far off of him.
Uhm.......that is the object. In the NFL you have to capitalize on the other teams mistakes to win games. That is exactly what he did.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2422

WR is going to be a good position for the Bengals for years to come. Green is Green, and Binns is a solid #2. Teams come in thinking all they have to do is double AJ, and keep an eye on Binns, and all of a sudden they're left thinking...."what the hell was that" as Hawk screaches by them, or Tate.....Sanu is now getting into the mix, and Jones and Whalen are still there as well. Personally, I wouldn't trade our reciever corp for anyones....
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30453

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled21 View Post
WR is going to be a good position for the Bengals for years to come. Green is Green, and Binns is a solid #2. Teams come in thinking all they have to do is double AJ, and keep an eye on Binns, and all of a sudden they're left thinking...."what the hell was that" as Hawk screaches by them, or Tate.....Sanu is now getting into the mix, and Jones and Whalen are still there as well. Personally, I wouldn't trade our reciever corp for anyones....
Quote from marvin

Quote:
“Everyone was saying ‘Who is your second receiver?’ And I keep telling you guys we have four of them and they’re all very good and they just keep doing their jobs …” – Coach Marvin Lewis on the receivers

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30453

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Uhm.......that is the object. In the NFL you have to capitalize on the other teams mistakes to win games. That is exactly what he did.
Yep mis matched and didnt cover the sideline and binns took it to the house lol

Dang that was at least 3 TD's of over 40 yards
73 AJ
59 Hawkins
45 Binns

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29222

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyKlein7322 View Post
Binns has been excellent so far. Much better than I expected. We are fine at WR. That is not a position I am worried about. I am worried about LB and DE at the moment.
Personally I am more worried about CB than DE right now. Agree about LB though.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled21 View Post
My how this changed in a hurry with Binns and the receiver corp in general...
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Took a bit longer than I thought for opposing defenses to figure Binns out.

Remember, nobody had any game tape on him.

I still believe Marvin Jones is the answer across from AJ.

I have nothing to back it up, just belief.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636

Quote:
Another brilliant decision gone wrong. How is Sanu not starting? I've seen him get the ball what, three, four times and I see more in him than Binns or Tate, who keep getting sent back out there to produce nothing.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5405

Quote:
Quarterbacks can make receivers better.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Andy was throwing to Binns in the beginning. Why did he stop? Like somebody else said, there's a book on Binns now. A QB can't do much for a receiver who isn't open.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5405

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Andy was throwing to Binns in the beginning. Why did he stop? Like somebody else said, there's a book on Binns now. A QB can't do much for a receiver who isn't open.
And receivers can't do much for a QB who is leading the league in pick-6's.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21041

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
We saw Carson make Chad better. I'm waiting to see Andy make any of our WRs better. So far, it's been all AJ making Andy better.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 377

Quote:
We saw Carson make Chad better. I'm waiting to see Andy make any of our WRs better. So far, it's been all AJ making Andy better.
Chad was a 2nd round draft pick who made plays his first year and was given a chance to make plays. Ultimately he actually got worse the longer he played with Carson. Binns and Tate are throw aways no one else wanted....and now we see why. Baby Hawk is about to get thrown into that category too as I think he would be better suited for the occasional reverse then back to the sidelines. Sanu in the slot and Jones opposite AJ.....that is the future and the future needs to start quick. Andy Dalton has had success at the QB position. He has proven himself in the past as far as what he is capable of when players around him do not fail him.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

Glad Kentucky Basketball started today...wake me up in April for the draft!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8920

Quote:
Not sure how much Carson made Chad better. Chad had two 1000-yard seasons, including leading the AFC in receiving yardage, the two years before Carson took over at QB. Also, Chad actually had his career high in TDs in 2003 with 10 when Kitna QB'ed the entire season. Chad never matched that total with Carson throwing him the ball (although he did catch 9 TDs from Carson a few times)

Sometimes players just are what they are. Tate was cut by the Pats after two seasons, Hawk was a free agent from the Canadian league and Binns was also an undrafted FA. We all like a good underdog story, but maybe they're all just very limited receivers and there's not much a QB can do to change that.