Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Would you want Rex?
Yes 21 15.79%
No 82 61.65%
Anybody who wants to win 30 22.56%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 32
Default Re: Next Bengals Coach

I think if we hired "golddust" Dusty Rhoades from the old wwf wrestling we would be in good shape.come on mikey
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Wouldn't that set things back a year or two, while the right personnel were acquired and the existing learned the new scheme?
Better than being set back every year that Marvin is the coach.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45614

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
Better than being set back every year that Marvin is the coach.
I'm all for a new HC. I was thinking that by bringing in a 3-4 man, that would require also bringing in DC that is also a proponent of the 3-4 philosophy. IF that were to happen, the transition might not take as long as I was imagining, as all of those "tweener" types in the NCAA seem to mold into nice 3-4 OLBs.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I'm all for a new HC. I was thinking that by bringing in a 3-4 man, that would require also bringing in DC that is also a proponent of the 3-4 philosophy. IF that were to happen, the transition might not take as long as I was imagining, as all of those "tweener" types in the NCAA seem to mold into nice 3-4 OLBs.
Our best defensive players are all 4-3 guys though. We have very few good players who would fit in a 3-4.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2754

Once again how motivated can you be if your not afraid of you job as a coach, and if you are making money from a team for every other years sucess, why change?

Look how long it took to get Bresh, and Brat out. I think that was a move to get ticket sales up and please the fans. What is interesting is that Zims D looks similar to Bresh, and the O is looking more and more like the one Brat ran. Humm what has stayed the same in this equation.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 721

History speaks for itself, Mike Brown does not FIRE any HC under contract..... Mediocre Marv is here to stay for 2 more years. It will take the fans to not show up for Mike Brown to do anything. It is as simple as this. I do not know how many times someone will post a thread like this and not understanding you are wasting your time even thinking or dreaming about a change. sorry, but this is how Mike Brown works.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Noodle View Post
Let's see what we do for the rest of the season. Marvin's time may well be up, but I still remember how bad this team used to be before he got here. He has, if nothing else, brought this team from the bowels of Hell to a more respectable mediocrity.
I understand what you are trying to say but 3 one and done in the playoffs in 10 years doesn't constitute a rising from the 90's ashes.This is 2012 almost 2013!
Is it better than the 90's? Yes, but when compared to NE or Pitt it is nothing and personally that is closer to where I would like this team to be.
This team went to the SB twice in the 80's...this team just needs a real HC.Yes MB is a pain in the arse but this teams lack of discipline and focus is not MB's fault.It is clearly something that Marvin should be handling but he isn't.
Once again I will reiterate, I don't dislike Marvin but he is not the answer here in Cincy.
People shouldn't keep heaping praise on Marvin. Three mediocre playoff teams is nothing to write home about.He has had TEN YEARS people.
Last but not least what is the teams record so far this season?...Exactly!

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 11-10-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
Ryan would also shift us into 3-4 defense.
Seriously what are the advantages of the 3-4 vs 4-3 scheme or vice versa?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I understand what you are trying to say but 3 one and done in the playoffs in 10 years doesn't constitute a rising from the 90's ashes.This is 2012 almost 2013!
Is it better than the 90's? Yes, but when compared to NE or Pitt it is nothing and personally that is closer to where I would like this team to be.
This team went to the SB twice in the 80's...this team just needs a real HC.Yes MB is a pain in the arse but this teams lack of discipline and focus is not MB's fault.It is clearly something that Marvin should be handling but he isn't.
Once again will reiterate, I don't dislike Marvin but he is not the answer here in Cincy.
People shouldn't keep heaping praise on Marvin. Three mediocre playoff teams is nothing to write home about.He has had TEN YEARS people.
Last but not least what is the teams record so far this season?...Exactly!
Has anyone seen the Bengal's trophy case? It is a shoebox in Mikey's closet.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Seriously what are the advantages of the 3-4 vs 4-3 scheme or vice versa?
As a general rule, LBs tend to be faster and more athletic than DEs, so in theory a 3-4 allows you to get more athletes and speed on the field. It also puts more LBs on your roster which can help your special teams units.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 403

Bengals won't be able to get a top tier coach with the current structure of their organization. Any coach who has options will not go to a team where all personnel decisions are made by family members. If they really want to go to a team where they have no control over the roster, they will go to Dallas to get more money and more attention.

Even after Katie takes over things won't change -picture Katie hiring Jon Gruden. Gruden sits at the table and outlines his plan. MB is no longer GM -great --but Uncle Pete is still VP of Player Personnel and Paul Brown is also still VP of player personnel. So how much say does Gruden have over the roster.

So we need Katie to take over from her Dad and fire all of her family? Or at least tell them they are only figureheads with no say? Not going to happen.

I know it. You know it. Any coach worth his wage knows it.

I will always be a Bengal fan and hope that we land some great players like AG and Geno who can lead us to the promised land with a young up and coming coach despite the family.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the dog View Post
Bengals won't be able to get a top tier coach with the current structure of their organization. Any coach who has options will not go to a team where all personnel decisions are made by family members. If they really want to go to a team where they have no control over the roster, they will go to Dallas to get more money and more attention.

Even after Katie takes over things won't change -picture Katie hiring Jon Gruden. Gruden sits at the table and outlines his plan. MB is no longer GM -great --but Uncle Pete is still VP of Player Personnel and Paul Brown is also still VP of player personnel. So how much say does Gruden have over the roster.

So we need Katie to take over from her Dad and fire all of her family? Or at least tell them they are only figureheads with no say? Not going to happen.

I know it. You know it. Any coach worth his wage knows it.

I will always be a Bengal fan and hope that we land some great players like AG and Geno who can lead us to the promised land with a young up and coming coach despite the family.

Dang it man! Don't ruin my vision of hope and change with a picture of the reality of the situation.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 61765

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Love Chip Kelly, afraid that he may be a wash as a Pro coach.
Never know till you try him. After watching what we watch around here Im willing to take the higher risk/higher reward shot.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Next Bengals Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
History speaks for itself, Mike Brown does not FIRE any HC under contract..... Mediocre Marv is here to stay for 2 more years. It will take the fans to not show up for Mike Brown to do anything. It is as simple as this. I do not know how many times someone will post a thread like this and not understanding you are wasting your time even thinking or dreaming about a change. sorry, but this is how Mike Brown works.
UNTIL the entire coaching staff is released and mike brown steps down and gives the reins to katie, nothing will change here.this is just another losing season in line with 44 years of losing. i do not count the two super bowls. they lost both of those as well. until the nati puts a super bowl winner here in our city, i will not accept anything else. its what you want your team to be. a super bowl WINNER.AND by the way, the game against the broncos was a game they played their butts off and i respected that game. still hated they pickin lost again, but they did play hard the whole game.i no longer go to games just to be let down and be sick for another week. its so unreal, they are the most disrespected team in all the NFL.its so embarrassing. everyone laughts when you say BENGALS.marvin and the entire staff needs to go. its time for a massive change.but it will not happen.mike brown is the worst owner ever in the nfl.no one that is a winner will ever come here. look at how the steelers and ravens run their organization!!!, that is the correct way.this staff and team are so bad its crazy.good players are ruined here. its shameful. and yes, they will get killed against the gaints.the gaints are well coached and are a super bowl team. enough said. its so so bad to get your butt whipped at your own place. really really bad.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
This x 1000

People claim to be fans of this team for so many years and yet people are naive enough to think changes will happen just as easily as they're requested, I'm sure the typical resonse to this will be when he makes changes things will be better, but people need to get over this and face the facts, nobody is holding a gun to your head to support this team, everyone should know nothing drastic is going to happen, especially when in 22 years Mike Brown has never fired a coach, get over it and move on
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 168

I'm tossing Mark Dantonio's name out there. I like what he is doing at Michigan State.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
ML has played his hand and proven he is not the coach to get this team to the next level. I am throwing my hat in the ring for Oregon's Chip Kelly to be hired as next Bengals head coach.
I'd love Kelly. Dude knows how to go for it. He'd be ridiculously aggressive.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
ML has played his hand and proven he is not the coach to get this team to the next level. I am throwing my hat in the ring for Oregon's Chip Kelly to be hired as next Bengals head coach.
I don't think Mike Brown will make any moves that require paying someone after he fires them so I don't see him getting rid of Marvin. However Marvin may decide that he is done with the organization and leave. That seems like the more than likely scenario. Zimmer would move up to be the interim coach for a year and then who knows.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 234

Nobody is talking about Mike Holmgren. Not that great as Browns Mr. Everything, but dude can coach. But he probably wouldn't work well having no say at all. Just a quick thought... Or how about I don't know. The guy would have to take the job kinda knowing he was a puppet. Tough sell.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8568

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
I don't think Mike Brown will make any moves that require paying someone after he fires them so I don't see him getting rid of Marvin. However Marvin may decide that he is done with the organization and leave. That seems like the more than likely scenario. Zimmer would move up to be the interim coach for a year and then who knows.
Certainly hope that Zimmer DOESN'T become HC. He can barely coach defense and his defense has more holes in it than Swiss cheese.
Herm,Gruden,Kelly,Tressel....time to cut the chord from the entire coaching staff..imho.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 11-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5750

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
it's more likely he'd be fired then marvin just up and leaving for one reason. mike brown is the only owner who would hire him as a head coach.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 47
Default What's the fuss about Jon Gruden?

I don't get all the hype with Jon Gruden?

Yes he brings a lot of energy and passion, but after 10 years of coaching his career winning percentage is .540.

That includes going 12-4 the year he won the Super Bowl after taking over Tony Dungy's team that was a contender the year before.

Not that Brian Billick's winning percentage is much better (.556). I'm not sure if the NFL has passed over Billick's knowledge but I remember his offenses as a coordinator were pretty potent. - But he had a great team to work with too- Vikings

Jack Del Rio and Cam Cameron might be interesting choices.

I guess you could make a reasonable for or against any of these guys... I'm just not a fan of Jon Gruden.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7505
bengals Re: What's the fuss about Jon Gruden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMedic View Post
I don't get all the hype with Jon Gruden?

Yes he brings a lot of energy and passion, but after 10 years of coaching his career winning percentage is .540.

That includes going 12-4 the year he won the Super Bowl after taking over Tony Dungy's team that was a contender the year before.

Not that Brian Billick's winning percentage is much better (.556). I'm not sure if the NFL has passed over Billick's knowledge but I remember his offenses as a coordinator were pretty potent. - But he had a great team to work with too- Vikings

Jack Del Rio and Cam Cameron might be interesting choices.

I guess you could make a reasonable for or against any of these guys... I'm just not a fan of Jon Gruden.
The deal is...

Everyone wants one.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2714
Default Re: What's the fuss about Jon Gruden?

He has inconsistency.

Same issue I have with

The WRs

Gresham

The D-Line

The O-Line

And

Special teams.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7790
Default Re: What's the fuss about Jon Gruden?

hype 1 (hp) Slang
n.
1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job" (Saturday Review).
3. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'" (New York).
4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies" (Joel Oppenheimer).
tr.v. hyped, hyp·ing, hypes
To publicize or promote, especially by extravagant, inflated, or misleading claims: hyped the new book by sending its author on a promotional tour.

Please explain how us dreaming about replacing a bum like Marvin with a Super Bowl-winning HC like Gruden is "hype."