Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 989
Rep Points: 2731
drunk How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Doc is always slamming the NFL for being "socialist" (see today's Enquirer). Sometimes I think he might be throwing it into The Family's face, to show them their ownership of the team isn't exactly based on their own success, that they don't deserve ownership and possess it only by the power of the league itself. If so, I agree. But usually I think he does it because the nature of the NFL bothers him. Either way, I'm going to defend the structure of the NFL.

First, the NFL isn't selling football, or any team's brand. That's up to the individual owner. The NFL is selling COMPETITION. That's the NFL's number one commodity. The only way to assure dominance of pro football is if every city that has (and wants) a team believes its team can compete and win on any given Sunday. (It's even better if a team can compete for a championship, but everybody knows some teams will fluctuate in that regard. [Insert Mike Brown jokes here]). The one thing the NFL isn't selling is a league dominated by rich owners over less-rich owners. The Yankees are great for New York, but they're not for MLB.

Revenue sharing and the inverted draft have enabled teams to rise up and win, but more importantly they keep HOPE alive in any city because they reduce the causes of losing to human decisions (not financial or geographic advantages). If you don't have good players, draft better. If you don't have good coaches, hire better. If you can't win, game plan better.

Another "socialist" factor has been the pro-labor tyranny of free agency. Before FA in the early 80s, a handful of teams won most all of the championships: Green Bay, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas, Washington, San Francisco. Even the rest were somewhat limited (think of Minnesota, Denver, Buffalo, Cincy). But once FA began, new teams finally appeared in or won Superbowls (Ravens, Den, Tenn, TB, Car, Atl, NO, Cards, and Seattle). [Note: Dallas and Buffalo in the 90s were built before FA, so I include all their appearances in the pre-FA era--just to keep things simple.]

So... (the numbers are fairly exact, but I'm no professional statistician).

Before Free Agency: Superbowls (1966 season to 1992 season)
19 of 28 appeared in at least one (68%)
14 of 28 appeared in 2+ (50%)
8 of 28 won 2+ (29%)

Contrast that with after FA: Superbowls (1993 season to 2011 season)
20 of 32 have appeared in at least one (62%)
7 of 32 appeared in 2+ (22%)
5 of 32 have won 2+ (16%)

Appearance percentage is fairly close, but there is a very wide gap (both roughly cut in half) when it comes to appearances and wins. Clearly the FA era has spread competition to more cities and fans. And that means alot towards drawing TV revenue and merchandising sales. Just google the NFL's labor dispute and gaze at the $9 BILLION pie they were fighting over. The NFL never saw anything near that kind of money before the FA era, and the NFL did enjoy a TV monopoly for almost all of both eras.

FA + Revenue sharing + inverted draft = competition = oodles of $$$ for everybody...

...including sports journalists who get paid to ****** about the local team. Too bad this system can still produce and protect a perennial loser. (It's much less likely, but can still happen.)

Hmmm... I'm sure Doc is miserable because he's stuck in a situation he can't control. His hell is he must endure the futility because it feeds his family. But maybe the pain Doc feels is the awareness that he has a whole lot in common with Mike Brown: they both get paid whether the team wins or not.

Ouch.

Last edited by fumetti; 11-10-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:38 PM
tlotharw's Avatar
tlotharw tlotharw is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,176
Rep Points: 5086
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
Doc is always slamming the NFL for being "socialist" (see today's Enquirer). Sometimes I think he might be throwing it into The Family's face, to show them their ownership of the team isn't exactly based on their own success, that they don't deserve ownership and possess it only by the power of the league itself. If so, I agree. But usually I think he does it because the nature of the NFL bothers him. Either way, I'm going to defend the structure of the NFL.

First, the NFL isn't selling football, or any team's brand. That's up to the individual owner. The NFL is selling COMPETITION. That's the NFL's number one commodity. The only way to assure dominance of pro football is if every city that has (and wants) a team believes its team can compete and win on any given Sunday. (It's even better if a team can compete for a championship, but everybody knows some teams will fluctuate in that regard. [Insert Mike Brown jokes here]). The one thing the NFL isn't selling is a league dominated by rich owners over less-rich owners. The Yankees are great for New York, but they're not for MLB.

Revenue sharing and the inverted draft have enabled teams to rise up and win, but more importantly they keep HOPE alive in any city because they reduce the causes of losing to human decisions (not financial or geographic advantages). If you don't have good players, draft better. If you don't have good coaches, hire better. If you can't win, game plan better.

Another "socialist" factor has been the pro-labor tyranny of free agency. Before FA in the early 80s, a handful of teams won most all of the championships: Green Bay, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas, Washington, San Francisco. Even the rest were somewhat limited (think of Minnesota, Denver, Buffalo, Cincy). But once FA began, new teams finally appeared in or won Superbowls (Ravens, Den, Tenn, TB, Car, Atl, NO, Cards, and Seattle). [Note: Dallas and Buffalo in the 90s were built before FA, so I include all their appearances in the pre-FA era--just to keep things simple.]

So... (the numbers are fairly exact, but I'm no professional statistician).

Before Free Agency: Superbowls (1966 season to 1992 season)
19 of 28 appeared in at least one (68%)
14 of 28 appeared in 2+ (50%)
8 of 28 won 2+ (29%)

Contrast that with after FA: Superbowls (1993 season to 2011 season)
20 of 32 have appeared in at least one (62%)
7 of 32 appeared in 2+ (22%)
5 of 32 have won 2+ (16%)

Appearance percentage is fairly close, but there is a very wide gap (both roughly cut in half) when it comes to appearances and wins. Clearly the FA era has spread competition to more cities and fans. And that means alot towards drawing TV revenue and merchandising sales. Just google the NFL's labor dispute and gaze at the $9 BILLION pie they were fighting over. The NFL never saw anything near that kind of money before the FA era, and the NFL did enjoy a TV monopoly for almost all of both eras.

FA + Revenue sharing + inverted draft = competition = oodles of $$$ for everybody...

...including sports journalists who get paid to ****** about the local team. Too bad this system can still produce and protect a perennial loser. (It's much less likely, but can still happen.)

Hmmm... I'm sure Doc is miserable because he's stuck in a situation he can't control. His hell is he must endure the futility because it feeds his family. But maybe the pain Doc feels is the awareness that he has a whole lot in common with Mike Brown: they both get paid whether the team wins or not.

Ouch.
Daugherty reminds me of the aspiring journalist, who, when he joins his high school's writing staff, is assigned sports, something he never wanted.

Try reading his columns with this in mind; he doesn't like sports or the people who play them and it will become clear.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 989
Rep Points: 2731
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Daugherty reminds me of the aspiring journalist, who, when he joins his high school's writing staff, is assigned sports, something he never wanted.

Try reading his columns with this in mind; he doesn't like sports or the people who play them and it will become clear.
It's pretty clear! I cut out the paragraph about him moaning every week, or waiting silently during the wins and jumping out when things go south.

He does write far more passionately about the Reds tho. I don' t know this for certain, but it seems like when Reedy was hired that Doc was taken off the Bengals reporting while occasionally given editorials.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Donutttt's Avatar
Donutttt Donutttt is offline
Graduated Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Rep Points: 25
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

I couldn't agree more; over here in the UK the soccer leagues are almost entirely decided by money and it means that the majority of teams have no chance at all at winning anything significant.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,711
Rep Points: 8571
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

What jumped out at me is that in a system setup for parity...the Bengals have had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years.

Yeah Dougherty whines...but Hobson is at the other extreme. Clearly things aren't good here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Billgrus's Avatar
Billgrus Billgrus is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 782
Rep Points: 633
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

If it were a true "socialist" system, the policy would be dictated by the working and middle class people (ie the fans). It's more of a monopoly on premium football talent than anything.
__________________
Roger Goodell came from Jamestown NY.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Karp's Avatar
Karp Karp is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Posts: 3,494
Rep Points: 7069
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Joe from Flo loved Paul Daugherty, and that's good enough for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Abspara's Avatar
Abspara Abspara is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rehab for Ignorance
Posts: 2,939
Rep Points: 2746
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What jumped out at me is that in a system setup for parity...the Bengals have had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years.

Yeah Dougherty whines...but Hobson is at the other extreme. Clearly things aren't good here.
With this team, its a system of Parody
__________________
_______________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM
tlotharw's Avatar
tlotharw tlotharw is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,176
Rep Points: 5086
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What jumped out at me is that in a system setup for parity...the Bengals have had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years.

Yeah Dougherty whines...but Hobson is at the other extreme. Clearly things aren't good here.
I've never seen it in such stark terms. Three winning seasons in 22 years. If you tried to do that you couldn't.

Somehow, even though us local yokels have paid for the stadium and endured the humiliation of 3 outta 20, we are not true fans for not selling out the stadium.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 AM
yellowxdiscipline's Avatar
yellowxdiscipline yellowxdiscipline is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cincy
Posts: 7,861
Rep Points: 7430
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

The Morning Man loathes writing about Cincy sports.. its pretty evident. Come to think of it, sports writing in Cincy is much like pro sports itself.. Its where budding careers come to wither and die.
__________________

Last edited by yellowxdiscipline; 11-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Karp's Avatar
Karp Karp is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Posts: 3,494
Rep Points: 7069
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
The Morning Man loathes writing about Cincy sports.. its pretty evident. Come to think of it, sports writing in Cincy is much like pro sports itself.. Its where budding careers come to wither and die.
The Cincinnati Reds might have a different opinion on that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 12,261
Rep Points: 24012
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What jumped out at me is that in a system setup for parity...the Bengals have had 3 winning seasons in 22+ years.

Yeah Dougherty whines...but Hobson is at the other extreme. Clearly things aren't good here.
The following teams have been to a SUPERBOWL since the Bengals last won a playoff game:

Bills x4
Patriots x6
Steelers x4
Ravens
Colts x2
Titans
Broncos x2
Chargers
Raiders
Cowboys x3
Eagles
Redskins
Giants x4
Packers x3
Bears
Saints
Bucs
Panthers
Falcons
49ers
Cardinals
Seahawks
Rams x2

23 of the 31 other teams have been to a Superbowl since 1990. Other than the Bengals, only the Jets, Dolphins, Texans, Jags, Chiefs, Browns and Lions haven't been to one in the past 21+ years (only 4 of those teams weren't expansion franchises). Of course, the Bengals are the only team to have not won a playoff game during that span. With that kind of parity, it makes you fully realize how terrible Mike Brown has been.
__________________
From 2006-2013, this team has never finished higher than 20th in yards per carry. They've had an average rank of 27th during those 8 seasons.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 11-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
spinksjinx's Avatar
spinksjinx spinksjinx is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,092
Rep Points: 12921
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
The Morning Man loathes writing about Cincy sports.. its pretty evident. Come to think of it, sports writing in Cincy is much like pro sports itself.. Its where budding careers come to wither and die.
Or flourish...Peter King started on the Bengals beat
__________________


RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Juniversal's Avatar
Juniversal Juniversal is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,769
Rep Points: 3179
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Omg socialism!! So scurry!!
__________________

-The Rookie Connection-
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
34inXXIII's Avatar
34inXXIII 34inXXIII is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,968
Rep Points: 108610
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Daugherty reminds me of the aspiring journalist, who, when he joins his high school's writing staff, is assigned sports, something he never wanted.

Try reading his columns with this in mind; he doesn't like sports or the people who play them and it will become clear.
Well, he sure didn't waste much time posting a wet blanket article for the fans following the win over the Giants.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Stink Noodle Stink Noodle is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 496
Rep Points: 646
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Doc is an idiot. Socialism is a form of government. The NFL is big business. They all make more money because of revenue sharing. It keeps the level of competition up, which makes the league more entertaining and drives sales.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 989
Rep Points: 2731
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
Well, he sure didn't waste much time posting a wet blanket article for the fans following the win over the Giants.
He cries when we lose, and then he cries when we win.

Doc needs to man-up and get another job. As much as he whines about Mike Brown making money by making us feel miserable, Doc sure does enjoy his turn at getting paid to make us feel miserable.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM
pamar427's Avatar
pamar427 pamar427 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 652
Rep Points: 3760
Default

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatahe e h gt
__________________

Thanks Nashville Bengal Fan!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 989
Rep Points: 2731
Default Re: How the "socialist" NFL brings Mikey and Doc together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
The following teams have been to a SUPERBOWL since the Bengals last won a playoff game:

Bills x4
Patriots x6
Steelers x4
Ravens
Colts x2
Titans
Broncos x2
Chargers
Raiders
Cowboys x3
Eagles
Redskins
Giants x4
Packers x3
Bears
Saints
Bucs
Panthers
Falcons
49ers
Cardinals
Seahawks
Rams x2

23 of the 31 other teams have been to a Superbowl since 1990. Other than the Bengals, only the Jets, Dolphins, Texans, Jags, Chiefs, Browns and Lions haven't been to one in the past 21+ years (only 4 of those teams weren't expansion franchises). Of course, the Bengals are the only team to have not won a playoff game during that span. With that kind of parity, it makes you fully realize how terrible Mike Brown has been.
Wow. THAT is futility.

An honorable man would remove every mirror from his house, and then remove himself from the team.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
daugherty, mike brown, nfl, socialism, superbowl


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.