Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15532
Default Reds offseason

Quote:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that Cincinnati could move one of their young shortstops (Zack Cozart or Didi Gregorius) if such a deal could bring the Reds a closer or a leadoff-hitting outfielder.

“It depends if we get back what we need,” Jocketty said. “If we don’t, then I won’t mind holding onto them.”

Cozart was the Reds' everyday shortstop in 2012, hitting .246/.288/.399 in an even 600 plate appearances and showing above-average glovework (a +9.0 UZR/150) in his first full Major League season. The 27-year-old Cozart was ranked as the 75th-best prospect in the game by Baseball America before the season, though he may have already been replaced by a newer model, as Jocketty considers the 22-year-old Gregorius to be "an everyday player...It’s just a question of when and how we manage it." Gregorius, a native of Amsterdam, has a .699 OPS in five minor league seasons.

If this surplus of controllable young shortstops wasn't enough, the Reds also have stolen base king Billy Hamilton, who Morosi notes was converted to center field last year. While Hamilton would command a much larger return in a trade than Cozart or Gregorius, I'd imagineHamilton isnext to untouchable.

The Reds are known to be looking for a leadoffhitterand anoutfielder(preferablya player who can fill both roles), as well as closing depth in case the team moves Aroldis Chapman to the rotation. Morosi suggests the A's as a trade partner since they have both Coco Crisp and several good relievers, and also notes that the Reds could find a leadoff-hitting outfielder from shortstop-needy teams like the Twins or Diamondbacks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gregorius.html

"When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans."
-Ron Paul
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Default Re: Reds offseason

Quote:
Left-hander Bill Bray and infielder Wilson Valdez have elected to become free agents, according to MLB.com's transactions page. With Valdez entering his second year of arbitration-eligibility and Bray his third, both players were seen as non-tender candidates by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes following their disappointing seasons for the Reds. Valdez, 34, posted a .463 OPS in 208 plate appearances as a backup infielder. Bray was limited to just 14 games due to groin and back injuries, but he'll surely draw interest from teams looking for lefty relief help; Bray posted a 2.98 ERA and recorded 44 strikeouts over 48 1/3 innings for Cincinnati in 2011.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...hernandez.html

"When the federal government spends more each year than it collects in tax revenues, it has three choices: It can raise taxes, print money, or borrow money. While these actions may benefit politicians, all three options are bad for average Americans."
-Ron Paul
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

It’s no secret that Reds GM Walt Jocketty intends to upgrade the Cincinnati outfield this offseason. Jocketty addressed his search for outfield help and other Reds-related questions in a conversation with MLBTR at the GM Meetings in Indian Wells, California. Herearethedetails.

Jocketty said the Reds hope to re-sign Ryan Ludwick this winter. “We’ve made some progress, but it’ll probably take another week or two before we know where we’re at,” the GM said. “ Ideally the Reds would like to add a leadoffhitter. Whetherthenewcomer plays center or left field has yet to be determined. The Reds view Aroldis Chapman as a starting pitcher long-term and they could make him a starter in 2013 if they acquire a free agent reliever. “If we re-sign Ryan Madson or [Jonathan] Broxton or someone else it would allow us to move Chapman to the rotation,” Jocketty said. Pitching coach Bryan Price feels strongly that Chapman can become a top of the rotation starter. Signing Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips in the spring helped the Reds focus on other needs this offseason, the GM said. “That was important for us to do, for sure.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...man-votto.html

-Ron Paul
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Free agent Shane Victorino is on the radar for the Reds and Indians, tweets ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. The Rangers and Red Sox are also among the clubs looking into Victorino as they look to improve their outfield situation.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter) notes that the Reds are looking into two relievers coming off of Tommy John surgery in Joakim Soria and Ryan Madson. Soria will be out until May while Madson should be set to open the season.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...victorino.html

-Ron Paul
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089

With Juan Pierre in Miami, and virtually every other candidate out of our price range, it looks like we're in for one more season of Drew Stubbs hitting leadoff. Unless we can pull off a trade for Crisp, which would be awesome.

As for making Aroldis a starter, I wouldn't be a fan of the move. He won't be able to throw 100 mph and dominate as a starter. Plus I just keep thinking of when we converted Danny Graves. That one worked out wonderfully.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
With Juan Pierre in Miami, and virtually every other candidate out of our price range, it looks like we're in for one more season of Drew Stubbs hitting leadoff. Unless we can pull off a trade for Crisp, which would be awesome.

As for making Aroldis a starter, I wouldn't be a fan of the move. He won't be able to throw 100 mph and dominate as a starter. Plus I just keep thinking of when we converted Danny Graves. That one worked out wonderfully.
Totally agree, it would have been like the Yankees moving Rivera into the starting rotation, only worse. He lost velocity after a few relief stints, and had to be rested. Starting is a whole different animal and top-notch closers are hard to find. I think Chapman could and will be the best closer in either league if they leave him in the bullpen. Teams will also be a lot more afraid with him closing because they only have 8 innings to beat the Reds with him there where he belongs, the shutdown closer.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24543

I've been in the camp that favors keeping Aroldis in the pen for awhile. I'm starting to change my mind. This guy was a stud starter for Cuba his entire career before he defected. It's what they signed him to do. The hope of him becoming a TOR starter is what drew the team to him to begin with. He also looked really good in the starting role when he was stretched out last Spring.

Having a shutdown closer is great. Having a rotation consisting of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, and Arroyo is downright scary if Homer has permanently figured it out and Aroldis gets time to stretch out. it could be the best rotation in baseball in a very short time. They would be a nightmare for the entire league if they could manage to score even an average amount of runs.

Stretch him out, Walt.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3009

won't get to see Ryan Madson in a Red's uniform next year, he signed a one year deal with the Angels.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,6565092.story
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
won't get to see Ryan Madson in a Red's uniform next year, he signed a one year deal with the Angels.

Not happy about this.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33217

Quote:

Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Not happy about this.
I like Broxton better. Madson is coming off of TJ surgery and really only had one semi-dominant season as a reliever/closer anyway.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

-Reds sign Jonathan Broxton to 3-year, $21 million deal

- The Reds have told Chapman to prepare for next season as a starter, although they haven't committed to Broxton as the closer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...incinnati-reds
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStripes View Post

We should not trade Cozart.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19781

Quote:
-Reds sign Jonathan Broxton to 3-year, $21 million deal

- The Reds have told Chapman to prepare for next season as a starter, although they haven't committed to Broxton as the closer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...incinnati-reds
Best news since we were eliminated.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Reds offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post
Totally agree, it would have been like the Yankees moving Rivera into the starting rotation, only worse. He lost velocity after a few relief stints, and had to be rested. Starting is a whole different animal and top-notch closers are hard to find. I think Chapman could and will be the best closer in either league if they leave him in the bullpen. Teams will also be a lot more afraid with him closing because they only have 8 innings to beat the Reds with him there where he belongs, the shutdown closer.
Closers are so overrated, if a pitcher has a good eighth inning, leave him in, they are grown men, if they can't throw two-three innings, they have no business making 20 mil a year, baseball has gone to the dogs.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rolen may back

- Scott Rolen has told the Reds he may play next season, but he isn't ready to make a final decision tweets Stark. The team wants him back in some role.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/scott_rolen/
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
I agree with this, Chapman had problems with arm fatigue after tossing about 65 innings for the year, good starters are expected to go around 200 innings, now I dont know if the fatigue was based on the number of innings or the number of days pitched but I'm an advocate of dont fix what isnt broke here, but then again he's an upgrade by default over Leake in the rotation at least and Leake's spot is something that the team could fix
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
I agree with this, Chapman had problems with arm fatigue after tossing about 65 innings for the year, good starters are expected to go around 200 innings, now I dont know if the fatigue was based on the number of innings or the number of days pitched but I'm an advocate of dont fix what isnt broke here, but then again he's an upgrade by default over Leake in the rotation at least and Leake's spot is something that the team could fix
I'm just fine with the rotation without Chapman.

Cueto
Latos
Bailey
Arroyo
Leake

Our rotation is fine for the playoffs too as long as one of the big 4 doesn't go down. Maybe that's what they're worried about.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1990

I was for Chapman staying in the pen until I heard some revealing numbers on the radio highlighting just how insignificant the closer's role actully is.

Since around 1920, if a team has a one run lead entering the ninth, they win 80% of the time, regardless of the closer. When a team has at least a 2 run lead, they win 90% of the time, regardless of the closer.

Now I know that the prospect of a nasty end of your bullpen shortens a game, puts fear into the hearts of the opposing lineup that if they don't score runs early, they're finished. However, why waste Chapman in a role that doesn't see much change no matter who fills it? In fact Chapman's historic season closing yielded numbers that were not much different than, and it kills me to say this, Cordero's.

We signed him as a dominant starter, possibly even a one. The plan was even for him to start last season, before Bray's injury forced him back into the pen. It is time for Chapman to start.

How much more imposing does a rotation of Bailey, Cueto, Latos, Chapman and Arroyo sound than with Leake as our #5? It is hands down the strongest rotation in either league.

WHO - DEY!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8672

If Chappy becomes a starter he'll need another pitch. He won't be hitting 100+ for 7 innings
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19781

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
If Chappy becomes a starter he'll need another pitch. He won't be hitting 100+ for 7 innings
From what I understand, it isn't just the speed, but the movement on his fastball as well.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

MLB trade rumors is reporting that the Reds are interested in Dexter Fowler of the Rockies. In turn, the Rockies are interested in Homer Bailey. Lets hope that trade does not go down.

I'm desperate for a good lead off hitter/center fielder, but not THAT desperate. What if Chapman didn't work out as a starter? Then losing Homer would be huge.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
MLB trade rumors is reporting that the Reds are interested in Dexter Fowler of the Rockies. In turn, the Rockies are interested in Homer Bailey. Lets hope that trade does not go down.

I'm desperate for a good lead off hitter/center fielder, but not THAT desperate. What if Chapman didn't work out as a starter? Then losing Homer would be huge.
I'd be fine with Fowler for Leake but not Bailey
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1990

Bailey, after the investment of time and development by the Reds, coupled with his end of the season run, should be untouchable.

WHO - DEY!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Thumbs up Re: Reds offseason

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
I'd be fine with Fowler for Leake but not Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebanonFan View Post
Bailey, after the investment of time and development by the Reds, coupled with his end of the season run, should be untouchable.
Agreed 110%.

-Ron Paul