Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Veterans pictures

Veterans, got any pictures of you or a loved one while active? If so, please post.


Here's a couple of me from back in the day:



Basis Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, 1983.



ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft. Lewis, WA, 1987
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".

Last edited by Bengalzona; 11-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM
wildcats forever's Avatar
wildcats forever wildcats forever is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,435
Rep Points: 56289
Default Re: Veterans pictures

My Dad was at Ft. Lewis in WWII, transferred there from the Presidio. He was a staff sergant in the signal corps, busting Japanese codes. One of his letters to my Mom went on about how much it rained there, saying it was the muddiest place he'd ever seen. I think she has some pics of him there - I'll see if I can find them and post one in his honor.
__________________
" Insignificant events can take on monumental proportions when your head is full of practically nothing." - Grace Slick
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Veterans pictures

I have some, a bunch actually. He took some pics from inside a couple of Sadam's Palaces, and one of the sons places. He brought home dozens of pics after tour #1. But after he was killed, I boxed those up, and now I keep non-military pictures around. I have a lighted display hutch I fixed up after "she" moved out, with medals, letters from Senators, a coin given to me by a member of the Patriot Guard while Shirley Phelps and Westboro were screaming at us, etc......

Besides, my favorite pic of my Veteran, is in my sig.

Happy Veteran's Day to everyone of you who are currently, or have ever, served this country. And also to families who have supported their Veteran. I know a few of you that have served, but I'm not going to list a bunch of names, because I may forget someone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Lygraf's Avatar
Lygraf Lygraf is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 770
Default Re: Veterans pictures

USMC, 2007-2011, 0311





__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
My Dad was at Ft. Lewis in WWII, transferred there from the Presidio. He was a staff sergant in the signal corps, busting Japanese codes. One of his letters to my Mom went on about how much it rained there, saying it was the muddiest place he'd ever seen. I think she has some pics of him there - I'll see if I can find them and post one in his honor.
Ft. Lewis is also really beautiful. It's near Mt. Ranier, which looks a lot like Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
I have some, a bunch actually. He took some pics from inside a couple of Sadam's Palaces, and one of the sons places. He brought home dozens of pics after tour #1. But after he was killed, I boxed those up, and now I keep non-military pictures around. I have a lighted display hutch I fixed up after "she" moved out, with medals, letters from Senators, a coin given to me by a member of the Patriot Guard while Shirley Phelps and Westboro were screaming at us, etc......

Besides, my favorite pic of my Veteran, is in my sig.

Happy Veteran's Day to everyone of you who are currently, or have ever, served this country. And also to families who have supported their Veteran. I know a few of you that have served, but I'm not going to list a bunch of names, because I may forget someone.
That's a terrific picture of your son in your sig!
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,774
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
USMC, 2007-2011, 0311





Did you prefer the shaved head or your hair out?

I never ask vets this, and for some strange reason I'm rather curious lol
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Lygraf's Avatar
Lygraf Lygraf is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 740
Rep Points: 770
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Did you prefer the shaved head or your hair out?
as a boot (never having been deployed before) in a grunt unit, your head is staying shaved until you deploy.

after that it's a personal call - for me, i need hair on my head or i look like an idiot
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,774
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
as a boot (never having been deployed before) in a grunt unit, your head is staying shaved until you deploy.

after that it's a personal call - for me, i need hair on my head or i look like an idiot
gotcha!
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Did you prefer the shaved head or your hair out?

I never ask vets this, and for some strange reason I'm rather curious lol
No High-and-Tight?
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
TheBengals TheBengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 4,490
Rep Points: 18744
Default Re: Veterans pictures

2004


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
2004


Was that overseas?
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
TheBengals TheBengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 4,490
Rep Points: 18744
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Was that overseas?
No, it was in Norfolk. I also served in Guantanamo Bay, but I wasn't allowed to take any pictures home with me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
NDfanatic's Avatar
NDfanatic NDfanatic is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East End
Posts: 2,432
Rep Points: 5310
Default Re: Veterans pictures

My favorite picture of me in uniform is nestled right up beside my name. Younger, skinnier, more stubborn, less grey, and two kids ago!

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NDfanatic; 11-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
No, it was in Norfolk. I also served in Guantanamo Bay, but I wasn't allowed to take any pictures home with me.
I was at Little Creek N.A.B. in Virginia Beach for 6 months. Nice area. I really likes it there.
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 PM
NDfanatic's Avatar
NDfanatic NDfanatic is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East End
Posts: 2,432
Rep Points: 5310
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Zona, I met a couple guys from Arkansas today that both served in Vietnam. One lost a leg, and the other lost his mind for about 10 years after he came home he said. Incredible men, and that signature picture of yours gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it.
__________________

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
TheBengals TheBengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 4,490
Rep Points: 18744
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
I was at Little Creek N.A.B. in Virginia Beach for 6 months. Nice area. I really likes it there.
I also got the pleasure of being stationed at Fort Lewis for a while. Mount Rainer is gorgeous, and Army food is better than Navy food!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
TheBengals TheBengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 4,490
Rep Points: 18744
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
Zona, I met a couple guys from Arkansas today that both served in Vietnam. One lost a leg, and the other lost his mind for about 10 years after he came home he said. Incredible men, and that signature picture of yours gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it.
That picture always hits me right in the heart, so powerful!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,088
Rep Points: 36548
Default Re: Veterans pictures

My Dad during basic at Fort Dix, 1968


He and a friend at LZ Oasis, 1969 (he's on the right)


My Dad and Joey Bishop


This is a shadowbox of some of his stuff that is sitting above my head right now on the wall


And this is my Dad a couple of years ago when The Wall That Heals stopped by here:


He's standing at a section that corresponds to the date for Mother's Day in 1969. The VC and NVA had a major offensive that day, not as high profile as the Tet, but it took many lives. Sad to think how many mothers lost their sons that day. Several were carried on stretchers by my father during the assault. My father turned down a Purple Heart from that day. They tried to give it to him because he cut himself up on barbed wire as he tripped running to help someone. He refused to accept it.

Last edited by RhythmicGeek; 11-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Bengal Droppings's Avatar
Bengal Droppings Bengal Droppings is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 2,175
Rep Points: 1810
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Hat tip to all you guys and your children who have served.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
Zona, I met a couple guys from Arkansas today that both served in Vietnam. One lost a leg, and the other lost his mind for about 10 years after he came home he said. Incredible men, and that signature picture of yours gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it.
Yeah, it's a great picture. It has been making the rounds on the internet for a few years now.

I've been wanting to do a thread about Vietnam, but just haven't had the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBengals View Post
I also got the pleasure of being stationed at Fort Lewis for a while. Mount Rainer is gorgeous, and Army food is better than Navy food!
Generally true. But on Thanksgiving, the sailors fed us lobster. That was good!
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 AM
silenetwolf silenetwolf is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,703
Rep Points: 1762
Default Re: Veterans pictures

I was in an infantry unit, I used to have pictures, but not sure where they are. I think my mom had a few, but after she died, they just got lost. Quick question, what was your favorite weapon? I was very partial to the M60 and the M14.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 25,019
Rep Points: 79391
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
I was in an infantry unit, I used to have pictures, but not sure where they are. I think my mom had a few, but after she died, they just got lost. Quick question, what was your favorite weapon? I was very partial to the M60 and the M14.
I was pretty good with the 9mm Baretta and the M203 grenade launcher. And I was on a TOW team once that got an award for most targets engaged.

I didn't start out well with the 9mm, though. Couldn't hit squat. Then someone noticed I was locking my elbows. Once I made that correction, I hit everything I aimed at. I had a perfect range with two double taps. Never lock your elbows when firing a pistol.
__________________

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
silenetwolf silenetwolf is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,703
Rep Points: 1762
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
I was pretty good with the 9mm Baretta and the M203 grenade launcher. And I was on a TOW team once that got an award for most targets engaged.

I didn't start out well with the 9mm, though. Couldn't hit squat. Then someone noticed I was locking my elbows. Once I made that correction, I hit everything I aimed at. I had a perfect range with two double taps. Never lock your elbows when firing a pistol.
We didn't have many 9mm's, we mostly had the 45's and you are right when you say not to lock your elbows.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Morning Star Morning Star is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,806
Rep Points: 2354
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Well happy Veterans day to all..I went to to church yesterday and the walls were covered with pictures of veterans who go to our church..That was really neat..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,088
Rep Points: 36548
Default Re: Veterans pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
I was in an infantry unit, I used to have pictures, but not sure where they are. I think my mom had a few, but after she died, they just got lost. Quick question, what was your favorite weapon? I was very partial to the M60 and the M14.
My dad was an engineer (generators) attached to an infantry unit. He was partial to the M14. That's what he trained with and qualified expert with, but when he got to Vietnam they handed him an M16.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.