Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28284
Default Dre Kirkpatrick is a PLAYER!

While Dre Kirkpatrick didn't get a huge amount of playing time today, what I saw him do was absolutely amazing because I've not seen a cornerback do what Dre did. I watched him carefully and he has a very interesting pre-coverage technique I know wasn't taught here in Cincinnati and it's most likely something he learned from playing at Alabama: Dre lined up across from Victor Cruz but as Eli Manning started calling signals and audibles, he would slowly back up to exactly five yards from Cruz then assume a "ready" stance from where he could move in any direction. Here's the thing: Cruz didn't know whether Dre would come up and engage him, immediately drop back into coverage, or anything else -- and Manning knew it too. It was a brilliant technique I hope all Bengal cornerbacks begin to use.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13031
Default Re: Dre Kirkpatrick is a PLAYER!

Well, I seen him pre-snap a couple of times, but never post-snap. Which, as I've said before, is a good thing when you're talking about a DB. He didn't get picked on like you'd expect a veteran QB to do once her realizes a rookie CB is lined up against his favorite target, so whatever he was doing seemed to be working.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Rep Points: 7135

That is an interesting observation. Do you have some inside or firsthand knowledge regarding how the cornerback position is played in the NFL? That was not meant as a smarta$$ question.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

He's definitely going to need to add size. He's extremely thin for a cb.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Well, I seen him pre-snap a couple of times, but never post-snap. Which, as I've said before, is a good thing when you're talking about a DB. He didn't get picked on like you'd expect a veteran QB to do once her realizes a rookie CB is lined up against his favorite target, so whatever he was doing seemed to be working.
That's an understatement. Much of the efficacious pass rush resulted from amazing coverage downfield and, when he was playing, Dre Kirkpatrick was all over Victor Cruz. I'm not saying there is a super-strong correlation between getting Dre on the field and seeing the defensive line manhandle the Giants' offensive line and turn Eli Manning into a crash-test dummy, but there is a correlation.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13031

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
And people were saying AJ Green was extremely thin, too.

You'll excuse us if we don't worry about his arms being thin, because I can pretty much promise you that there isn't a hint of jiggle to them.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karp View Post
That is an interesting observation. Do you have some inside or firsthand knowledge regarding how the cornerback position is played in the NFL? That was not meant as a smarta$$ question.
No worries, Karp; I understand what you mean. Let's just say I am a keen observer of the defensive side of the ball and I have a good memory. I've not seen anyone in many years use the technique Dre Kirkpatrick uses. Oh, sure, lots of cornerbacks make similar moves to Dre but he times it with the quarterback's signals and it drove Eli Manning bonkers because he never threw to Victor Cruz when Dre lined up against him. During pre-snap, Manning's head always went to Cruz's side but when Dre was there, Manning threw to the opposite side of the field.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
No worries, Karp; I understand what you mean. Let's just say I am a keen observer of the defensive side of the ball and I have a good memory. I've not seen anyone in many years use the technique Dre Kirkpatrick uses. Oh, sure, lots of cornerbacks make similar moves to Dre but he times it with the quarterback's signals and it drove Eli Manning bonkers because he never threw to Victor Cruz when Dre lined up against him. During pre-snap, Manning's head always went to Cruz's side but when Dre was there, Manning threw to the opposite side of the field.
Well, he cost us a first round pick so hopefully he becomes a Joe Haden type of shut down corner.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

You'll excuse us if we don't worry about his arms being thin, because I can pretty much promise you that there isn't a hint of jiggle to them.
Green has Kirkpatrick by probably 20 lbs at least.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Well, he cost us a first round pick so hopefully he becomes a Joe Haden type of shut down corner.
he reminds me of a young Nate Clements...and that's not a bad thing.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Dre Kirkpatrick will be better than Joe Haden, provided of course he stays healthy. I'm not saying Dre is the next Darrelle Revis or Nnamdi Asomugha but I saw him play today and to my eyes he's no rookie out there! Nick Saban did a terrific job with Dre at Alabama and it shows. I was so surprised neither Thom Brennaman nor Brian Billick picked up on any of this -- especially Billick who might have the best analytical sense of any color commentator on NFL broadcasts. I was pointing at Dre and yelling at the TV, "OMG! WOW! Did you see that?"
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Quote:
Green has Kirkpatrick by probably 20 lbs at least.
Are you excited that he did well? Or disappointed that he didn't stink?

I can't tell with your "concern" about Dre Kirk's weight, which his weight has been constant for many years.

Last edited by mulligan; 11-11-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dre Kirkpatrick will be better than Joe Haden, provided of course he stays healthy. I'm not saying Dre is the next Darrelle Revis or Nnamdi Asomugha but I saw him play today and to my eyes he's no rookie out there! Nick Saban did a terrific job with Dre at Alabama and it shows. I was so surprised neither Thom Brennaman nor Brian Billick picked up on any of this -- especially Billick who might have the best analytical sense of any color commentator on NFL broadcasts. I was pointing at Dre and yelling at the TV, "OMG! WOW! Did you see that?"
If Dre is better than Joe Haden, then he would be the steal of the draft (in my opinion).

WTS, I am going to have to see a lot more of Dre Kirk's play to put him above Joe Haden.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
While I realize you are excited about how he played today, saying he is going to be better then Joe Haden is pushing it.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

I met Dre Kirkpatrick at training camp and he's not thin: He's wiry. He's extremely strong, too, and when he did some drills wearing just shorts and turf cleats you could tell he has trained extensively in the weight room. He's a nice man, too, and very happy to be playing with the Bengals.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If Dre is better than Joe Haden, then he would be the steal of the draft (in my opinion).

WTS, I am going to have to see a lot more of Dre Kirk's play to put him above Joe Haden.
Make sure you quote me correctly: I said Dre Kirkpatrick will be better than Joe Haden. He's not there yet...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Make sure you quote me correctly: I said Dre Kirkpatrick will be better than Joe Haden. He's not there yet...
I hope.

I remember a quote.

"I see better than I hear." quote from Marvin Lewis.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41577

Quote:
Same size as Antonio Rodgers-Cromartie and he's pretty good.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Are you excited that he did well? Or disappointed that he didn't stink?

I can't tell with your "concern" about Dre Kirk's weight, which his weight has been constant for many years.
Happy...I was a fan of Kirkpatrick at Alabama and think he will be a good pro. I see more of an Ike Taylor or Antonio Cromartie than Hayden.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7105

Great to hear, I hope he can live up to his first-rounder status and it sounds like he's well on his way

For now, I guess all we got to worry about is whether he can stay healthy or not
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25797

Quote:
While Dre Kirkpatrick didn't get a huge amount of playing time today, what I saw him do was absolutely amazing because I've not seen a cornerback do what Dre did. I watched him carefully and he has a very interesting pre-coverage technique I know wasn't taught here in Cincinnati and it's most likely something he learned from playing at Alabama: Dre lined up across from Victor Cruz but as Eli Manning started calling signals and audibles, he would slowly back up to exactly five yards from Cruz then assume a "ready" stance from where he could move in any direction. Here's the thing: Cruz didn't know whether Dre would come up and engage him, immediately drop back into coverage, or anything else -- and Manning knew it too. It was a brilliant technique I hope all Bengal cornerbacks begin to use.
My guess is the rest of our DBs don't have the speed/skill to pull off such a maneuver. It can be a risky play if you aren't accustomed to doing it.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19224

His weakness was turning to run with receivers (which has to be because of his height), but he was great in press coverage and breaking on balls, which our pass rush will make his problems turning to run irrelevant because receivers won't have enough time to break away.

I'm excited about this kid.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karp View Post
Pre-snap movement is taught by most Defensive Coordinators in the NFL, but rarely acted on. You usually see it on top notch QB's like Manning/Brady/Rodgers. The Falcons did it a lot to confuse Manning and it worked. The thought is that you cannot tell if they're going to man/zone/press/play-off. It IS sorta a risk but has been known to work.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18200

Quote:
That's an understatement. Much of the efficacious pass rush resulted from amazing coverage downfield and, when he was playing, Dre Kirkpatrick was all over Victor Cruz. I'm not saying there is a super-strong correlation between getting Dre on the field and seeing the defensive line manhandle the Giants' offensive line and turn Eli Manning into a crash-test dummy, but there is a correlation.
Leon Hall was all over Cruz too

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Happy...I was a fan of Kirkpatrick at Alabama and think he will be a good pro. I see more of an Ike Taylor or Antonio Cromartie than Hayden.
I hope he resembles anyone that is a good CB in the NFL.

Cheers! :-)