Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19898
Default Re: Dre Kirkpatrick is a PLAYER!

Sure hope you're right and he starts helping our D turn it around.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2222

Whatever it was, something was different in our defensive secondary, against a pretty darn good qb and receiving corps I am not sure if it was Dre, Mays, Crocker, or Jones (well I do know Jones had some really nice plays) but we had the best coverage I have seen this year.

Congrats to the Bengals on a great game
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
While Dre Kirkpatrick didn't get a huge amount of playing time today, what I saw him do was absolutely amazing because I've not seen a cornerback do what Dre did. I watched him carefully and he has a very interesting pre-coverage technique I know wasn't taught here in Cincinnati and it's most likely something he learned from playing at Alabama: Dre lined up across from Victor Cruz but as Eli Manning started calling signals and audibles, he would slowly back up to exactly five yards from Cruz then assume a "ready" stance from where he could move in any direction. Here's the thing: Cruz didn't know whether Dre would come up and engage him, immediately drop back into coverage, or anything else -- and Manning knew it too. It was a brilliant technique I hope all Bengal cornerbacks begin to use.
Dre's move coupled with Leon coming off Cruz to show blitz caused Manning to waste a timeout. I noticed that too.

WHO - DEY!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Unless what you're describing is different than what I'm thinking about, this happens a lot. Hall does this all the time. They show press coverage then right before the snap they back off and play off coverage.

I'll have to watch the game again and pay more attention.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
He's definitely going to need to add size. He's extremely thin for a cb.
Stop it. He's tall for a CB more than "skinny", which is beautiful in a league where tall WRs like AJ are just abusing these 5-8 corners.

As a defensive player he gets to choose how he engages ball carriers he is attempting to tackle. So if he has to tackle a big dude, he's going low just like every other 190 pound CB in the league and the odds of him getting hurt as a result of being "skinny" are negligible.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 843

Honestly did not notice Dre all that much. Will have to replay the game. I hope we eventually have Leon, Adam, and Dre as our 1,2,and 3. Clements is serviceable but Newman needs to go after the year. Maybe a 4/5th would be fine by me though.

Adam blew it up today though. Size does matter but determination and a high motor matters more!!!!!!!!!!!

Our beloved Commissioner
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeboi View Post
Honestly did not notice Dre all that much. Will have to replay the game. I hope we eventually have Leon, Adam, and Dre as our 1,2,and 3. Clements is serviceable but Newman needs to go after the year. Maybe a 4/5th would be fine by me though.

Adam blew it up today though. Size does matter but determination and a high motor matters more!!!!!!!!!!!
I still crack up at all of the Newman hate around here. He's easily been our second best cb this year.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebanonFan View Post
Dre's move coupled with Leon coming off Cruz to show blitz caused Manning to waste a timeout. I noticed that too.
And then they went right back to it, but Leon went into coverage.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

They had Hall on the slot receiver a lot.

Adam Jones can play lights out at times. There was a point early in his career when he was playing at a Pro Bowl caliber at CB.

I keep hoping that we'll eventually see that Jones consistantly...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
They had Hall on the slot receiver a lot.

Adam Jones can play lights out at times. There was a point early in his career when he was playing at a Pro Bowl caliber at CB.

I keep hoping that we'll eventually see that Jones consistantly...
Leon was on Cruz all game. Be it slot or outside.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 102

what game was the OP watching??? I have game pass and coaches film and dre was only on the field for garbage time maybe 7 mins of the 4th quarter. To me he looked timid and lost. The giants never threw the ball at him and he had 1 run play by I believe Andre brown that turned him 360 degrees and he missed the tackle.

This kid will not make a difference on this team this year or next year. He is undersized and his football smarts are not there. Adam Jones had all world talent but no brains it has taken him years to become a impact player.

I was against drafting Dre and still have not changed my view point. Only time will tell if the coaching staff can actually get something out of him.
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
I thought the same thing. I never saw Kirk on Cruz the whole game.
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536

Quote:
Happy...I was a fan of Kirkpatrick at Alabama and think he will be a good pro. I see more of an Ike Taylor or Antonio Cromartie than Hayden.
He reminds me of an old Oakland Raider, Lester Hayes. Same built, it would be great if he plays like Hayes.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
I thought the same thing. I never saw Kirk on Cruz the whole game.
I think he was on him at the very end of the game, could be wrong though.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Amazing how Hall covers a great receiver all game anddoesn't give up anything. (Hall haters explode)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Dre Kirkpatrick is a PLAYER!

Quote:
Dre Kirkpatrick will be better than Joe Haden, provided of course he stays healthy. I'm not saying Dre is the next Darrelle Revis or Nnamdi Asomugha but I saw him play today and to my eyes he's no rookie out there! Nick Saban did a terrific job with Dre at Alabama and it shows. I was so surprised neither Thom Brennaman nor Brian Billick picked up on any of this -- especially Billick who might have the best analytical sense of any color commentator on NFL broadcasts. I was pointing at Dre and yelling at the TV, "OMG! WOW! Did you see that?"
You wouldn't say that if the teams were reversed, and you don't get a true picture on t.v.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20428

Quote:
While Dre Kirkpatrick didn't get a huge amount of playing time today, what I saw him do was absolutely amazing because I've not seen a cornerback do what Dre did. I watched him carefully and he has a very interesting pre-coverage technique I know wasn't taught here in Cincinnati and it's most likely something he learned from playing at Alabama: Dre lined up across from Victor Cruz but as Eli Manning started calling signals and audibles, he would slowly back up to exactly five yards from Cruz then assume a "ready" stance from where he could move in any direction. Here's the thing: Cruz didn't know whether Dre would come up and engage him, immediately drop back into coverage, or anything else -- and Manning knew it too. It was a brilliant technique I hope all Bengal cornerbacks begin to use.
Im a little confused. How is this any different from, say, Dre starting 5 yards off of his receiver during the pre snap? Is there something to him starting in tight then dropping back? Wouldnt him starting 5 yards off be the same thing?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1179
bengals Re: Dre Kirkpatrick is a PLAYER!

Quote:
Pretty sharp of you to pick that up. I'll check it out on NFL Rewind thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

I wonder if Jason Allen ever sees the field this year?

He has some ability to play Safety...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3245

The only thing i saw bad was that he was out of position for that long run near the end of the game.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

Isn't that kinda standard for a CB to man up tight on the line, then back off?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I think he was on him at the very end of the game, could be wrong though.
I saw Dre outside the only time I saw him, and maybe ONE snap in the slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Amazing how Hall covers a great receiver all game anddoesn't give up anything. (Hall haters explode)
Mhm. But they'll use the excuse that Cruz isn't fast or big

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
You wouldn't say that if the teams were reversed, and you don't get a true picture on t.v.
Hey, he has the ability to be Rod Woodson; half of the corners coming out do.

Difference between him and half the corners though, is that Woodson had more than ability; that's what separates the great from the potential; completeness.

Not saying Dre doesn't have it, but he doesn't have a lot of it thus far...

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootiePooniePuncher View Post
what game was the OP watching??? I have game pass and coaches film and dre was only on the field for garbage time maybe 7 mins of the 4th quarter. To me he looked timid and lost. The giants never threw the ball at him and he had 1 run play by I believe Andre brown that turned him 360 degrees and he missed the tackle.

This kid will not make a difference on this team this year or next year. He is undersized and his football smarts are not there. Adam Jones had all world talent but no brains it has taken him years to become a impact player.

I was against drafting Dre and still have not changed my view point. Only time will tell if the coaching staff can actually get something out of him.
He played the third quarter also, but yeah i'm not sure what people are talking about he really didn't even get tested. I think people are just excited to see him out there finally.

He definately didn't look timid or lost either, he just wasn't tested. You have no idea if he will make a difference on the team, give the dude a chance. We really won't know his full impact until next year after he has a full training camp.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Im a little confused. How is this any different from, say, Dre starting 5 yards off of his receiver during the pre snap? Is there something to him starting in tight then dropping back? Wouldnt him starting 5 yards off be the same thing?
Not really. He acts like he analyzed some very small detail and our guy is amazing doing it. He was doing it a ton during camp and preseason.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17679

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootiePooniePuncher View Post

No. He didn't look timid or lost at all. Neither did he do anything different from every other Bengals DB. He does what the coaches tell him to, just like everyone else.