Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929
Default Ezekiel Ansah part 2.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...tinues-to-rise

Quote:
It was easy to see what Phil Savage and the Senior Bowl scouts saw in Ansah, who dominated Idaho Saturday night, playing both with his hand in the ground as a defensive end and as a stand-up rusher. Ansah is quick off the snap and has long strides that gobble up territory on his way to the quarterback. He's also very long and aware in the passing game, knocking down two passes in the first half before the game got out of hand. Perhaps most exciting -- considering his relative lack of time in the game -- is that Ansah has naturally heavy hands. He broke away easily from Idaho offensive linemen's attempts to control him.

Ansah has improved throughout the season, enjoying the most dramatic breakout performance this year of any senior prospect. Ansah entered the season barely on the blip of scouts' radar but he's pushing for a spot in NFLDraftScout.com's top 50 currently and could very well emerge as a legitmate first round with a solid week in Mobile.
As you may know I have been following BYU's Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah closely this season. Lately Ziggy has been rocketing up draft boards and is being discussed as a 2nd round prospect. Most of this hype is due to a poor pass rushing class, and some due to his 6'6" 270 pound frame. When I first heard he was being considered a 2nd round pick I poo pooed it. Having watched his game from this last week I may need to reasses my opinion. He created havoc against Idaho from the DE, DT, and LB positions. His growth in less than a season has been phenomenal. The comparisons to JPP are starting to hold true.

Initially in my first mocks I thought we could grab him in the 5th or 6th rounds as a project. Now given the under performing season from the 2nd tier DEs like Oakafor, and Lemonier, I am starting to rethink not taking Ansah with a 2nd if we can't get Montgomery in 1. He has as much, if not more, upside than any of the guys mentioned already. What he lacks though, is sacks. He has 4 sacks for the season but he is collapsing the pocket with shocking consistency and getting a great deal of pressure. If he can put it all together the kid will be down right scary.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 11-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533
Default Re: Ezekiel Ansah part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...tinues-to-rise

As you may know I have been following BYU's Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah closely this season. Lately Ziggy has been rocketing up draft boards and is being discussed as a 2nd round prospect. Most of this hype is due to a poor pass rushing class, and some due to his 6'6" 270 pound frame. When I first heard he was being considered a 2nd round pick I poo pooed it. Having watched his game from this last week I may need to reasses my opinion. He created havoc against Idaho from the DE, DT, and LB positions. His growth in less than a season has been phenomenal. The comparisons to JPP are starting to hold true.

Initially in my first mocks I thought we could grab him in the 5th or 6th rounds as a project. Now given the under performing season from the 2nd tier DEs like Oakafor, and Lemonier, I am starting to rethink not taking Ansah with a 2nd if we can't get Montgomery in 1. He has as much, if not more, upside than any of the guys mentioned already. What he lacks though, is sacks. He has 4 sacks for the season but he is collapsing the pocket with shocking consistency and getting a great deal of pressure. If he can put it all together the kid will be down right scary.
Interesting stuff. Everytime I try to come up with a mock, the lack of a good choice in rd 2 makes it tough, especially since I think we need rotational de help. I will have to check it out
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 271
Default Re: Ezekiel Ansah part 2.

I have seen this kid play live and he is legit. A man that big should not be able to move that fast.

He closes on the ball and does a great job wrapping up the ball carrier. As has been noted he is still new to the game fo football but has a tremedous amount of potential. Mix him in with Dunlap and MJ and watch out.