Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 23
Default Re: Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Who is ready to get on board with me?

I love watching Oregon play, so I've been on that same bus with ya.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they grabbed 2 backs in the 2nd. Someone like Christine Michael and Barner (or Ellington, or Johnathan Franklin in the 3rd maybe). They desperately need the speed Barner has though. Michael just has that prototypical size / speed and looks like he'd be a good workhorse back in the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep BJGE to play Leonard's role on the team if he's not back. Then draft 2 youngins to platoon with Peerman as the 4th back for STs and the occasional play from offense. Scott and Leonard can walk - I don't mind.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40598

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR View Post
I love watching Oregon play, so I've been on that same bus with ya.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they grabbed 2 backs in the 2nd. Someone like Christine Michael and Barner (or Ellington, or Johnathan Franklin in the 3rd maybe). They desperately need the speed Barner has though. Michael just has that prototypical size / speed and looks like he'd be a good workhorse back in the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep BJGE to play Leonard's role on the team if he's not back. Then draft 2 youngins to platoon with Peerman as the 4th back for STs and the occasional play from offense. Scott and Leonard can walk - I don't mind.
You quite possibly could be the 2nd smartest person on this board; as I am a huge Christine Michael fan as well. Injuries, Johnny Football, and Molena taking away some carries could allow us to get Michael much later than his skill set dictates.

Would love to bring in KJB and Christine.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20211

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Barner will be tough to judge until the pre-draft all star games. See how he does in an offense that isn't a spread option. The speed is there. But he won't see those open lanes with a QB under center in pro offenses.
He can pick up yards without open lanes. He breaks tackles, he's hard to square up on, his feet are incredibly quick and he flows like water.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I would take him without batting an eye.

If LaMichael James goes in the 2nd, so does Barner.
That is the same comparison I was thinking about. Barner looks a little thicker and has a couple more inches than LMJ. But LMJ had a much more prolific college career. 3 1500+ rushing years compared to Barners 1.

If we want him we are going to have to take him in 2. He has similar size to CJ2K, Jamaal Charles, and CJ Spiller. And they have shown they have the ability to get it done in the NFL.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20211

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
That is the same comparison I was thinking about. Barner looks a little thicker and has a couple more inches than LMJ. But LMJ had a much more prolific college career. 3 1500+ rushing years compared to Barners 1.

If we want him we are going to have to take him in 2. He has similar size to CJ2K, Jamaal Charles, and CJ Spiller. And they have shown they have the ability to get it done in the NFL.
Barner had to wait for James to get the hell outa the way. I just love his ability to make sumpin' outa nuttin', which is something we sorely need.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Barner had to wait for James to get the hell outa the way. I just love his ability to make sumpin' outa nuttin', which is something we sorely need.
That's true. I hope we at least get a glimpse of LMJ before this year is over to get an idea if he is going to be productive in the NFL.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

I think RB is a heavy need, and we're at the point that we HAVE to find one that gives some kind of threat to break a big play. I'm good with grabbing him with one of our second rounders.

How about this for thought - Michael Dyer on day 3? He was a stud as a freshman, and after Newton left he didn't stand a chance in the Auburn offense, got in trouble and I don't even know where he's at, bad character drops him out of the second day discussion, but could turn around and be a huge reward.

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrockj View Post
I think RB is a heavy need, and we're at the point that we HAVE to find one that gives some kind of threat to break a big play. I'm good with grabbing him with one of our second rounders.

How about this for thought - Michael Dyer on day 3? He was a stud as a freshman, and after Newton left he didn't stand a chance in the Auburn offense, got in trouble and I don't even know where he's at, bad character drops him out of the second day discussion, but could turn around and be a huge reward.
I'd rather bring in Montee Ball in the 4th than Dyer. I am just done with reclamation projects. We are a football team, not a half way house. Give me the hard working, clean nosed kid who is having a down year due to bad o-line play over the kid kicked out of school for being stupid or a criminal.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I'd rather bring in Montee Ball in the 4th than Dyer. I am just done with reclamation projects. We are a football team, not a half way house. Give me the hard working, clean nosed kid who is having a down year due to bad o-line play over the kid kicked out of school for being stupid or a criminal.
Dude has over 1200 yards @ 5 YPC and 16 TDs. I'll take it.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dude has over 1200 yards @ 5 YPC and 16 TDs. I'll take it.
Exactly. The o-line was terrible to begin the year and Ball was being called a product of the o-line last year. He didn't go diva, just kept taking the ball. Now he gets a shred of blocking and is looking like his old self. Class act, hard working, do it all kid. yes, please!
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2397

Quote:
Exactly. The o-line was terrible to begin the year and Ball was being called a product of the o-line last year. He didn't go diva, just kept taking the ball. Now he gets a shred of blocking and is looking like his old self. Class act, hard working, do it all kid. yes, please!
I wouldn't hate Ball but Id rather get a shifty/quick guy to pair with BJGE, Gio/BJGE I think would be pretty good. If they want to get rid of BJGE and Ball is still around in 4-5 then go for it and pair him with an earlier RB or FA.

My question would be if you drafted a RB in 2-3 and you got to 4 and Ball and Barner were still there would you take 1? Neither? I mean I could see them drafting 2 RBs this year considering we could potentially lose Scott, Leonard and BJGE if they decide to give up on him.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
I wouldn't hate Ball but Id rather get a shifty/quick guy to pair with BJGE, Gio/BJGE I think would be pretty good. If they want to get rid of BJGE and Ball is still around in 4-5 then go for it and pair him with an earlier RB or FA.

My question would be if you drafted a RB in 2-3 and you got to 4 and Ball and Barner were still there would you take 1? Neither? I mean I could see them drafting 2 RBs this year considering we could potentially lose Scott, Leonard and BJGE if they decide to give up on him.
In that situation, with Barner in the 4th, you have to take him. He's 2nd round talent as of now.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2397

Quote:
In that situation, with Barner in the 4th, you have to take him. He's 2nd round talent as of now.
I disagree, I take him but I don't think he is a 2nd rounder. I think when its all said and done he will be a 4th rounder with a chance to go in 3, alot of people are over reacting to the big game he had atm but it will cool down.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
I disagree, I take him but I don't think he is a 2nd rounder. I think when its all said and done he will be a 4th rounder with a chance to go in 3, alot of people are over reacting to the big game he had atm but it will cool down.
Oregon will likely be in the BCS title game adding to the "exposure" of Barner, plus he will probably tear up the combine. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a 2nd round pick.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9125

Not a very impressive game against Cal..
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10583

I'm not on just yet. I have seen some flashes of him that I like, but I would like to see more of him. Didn't really pay much attention to him lately. Right now? I'm very much on the Andre Ellington bandwagon.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Not a very impressive game against Cal..
Yeah looks like Cal really sold out against the run. DAT averaged less than 3 YPC as well. KJB did chip in 38 yards in the receiving game.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487

I like Barner and would love to see that kind of explosion out of the backfield, but I think we need someone who can square up and take on a work load. I'm a big Montee Ball fan mostly because of value and he wont be a reach in rounds 3 or 4 where I think he will go.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24734

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalDawg View Post
I like Barner and would love to see that kind of explosion out of the backfield, but I think we need someone who can square up and take on a work load. I'm a big Montee Ball fan mostly because of value and he wont be a reach in rounds 3 or 4 where I think he will go.
Ball is more of what we have. Poor vision. Lack of moves.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalDawg View Post
Yikes, I'd be angry if they drafted Ball. Nononononono.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23810
bengals Re: Barner

Quote:
Who is ready to get on board with me?

No thank you. Scat back, that's what he will be at the next level, is a luxury for teams with established running games. Give me a complete back that can carry the load. Give me Barner if he is still sitting there in the 4th.

How about:

1) Giovanni Bernard
2) Mike Gilleslee
3) Joseph Randle
4) Zac Stacey
5) Benny Cunningham
Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9125

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
No thank you. Scat back, that's what he will be at the next level, is a luxury for teams with established running games. Give me a complete back that can carry the load. Give me Barner if he is still sitting there in the 4th.

How about:

1) Giovanni Bernard
2) Mike Gilleslee
3) Joseph Randle
4) Zac Stacey
5) Benny Cunningham
All three of these have 3 down back potential.