Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19629
Default When Marvin wins, I see Marvin gets .....

And other's get credit. Yet when the Bengals lose this forum is flooded with Marvin needs to be fired. And other's get a pass or excuses.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367
Default Re: When Marvin wins, I see Marvin gets .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post

And other's get credit. Yet when the Bengals lose this forum is flooded with Marvin needs to be fired. And other's get a pass or excuses.
Marvin has the team you saw yesterday at 4-5. He *****.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33777

Marvin still needs to be fired. We're almost certainly going to miss the playoffs this year. So Marvin will be going into his 11th year with no playoff wins (still). Only in Cincy.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1080

I'm not sure Marvin needs to be fired from this "organization" but he certainly needs to be removed from the HC position. I think he has a good eye for talent and has a good effect on the players (ex: Burfict) and knows the NFL and this system very well.

My dream scenario (since it is past time for Mikey to retire and enjoy those Benjamin's, take up golf, travel, buy another brown suit, something) would be to make Giggles the GM and either promote Zim to HC or bring in someone like awesome, like Cowher. THEN we'd win all sorts of playoff games, maybe a SB even.

If only...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21087

It takes more than winning one game to get credit. He has never won a playoff game and has an overall career losing record.

Marvin is a reflection of this franchise. Mediocre.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 176

We want consistency out of this staff and Marvin.... example.. Sanu, Peerman, offensive playcalling diversity..throwing on first down, aggressive defense. Until Marvin and Co do this every week, and put us in positions to win games, Marvin will get the heat as he should...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Rep Points: 7238

Hey Bengal Yankee, you might not have wanted to open that (do what you do best, and go find me a picture of a can of worms to insert here)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24442

Our D created some turnovers, otherwise we looked to be on our way toward letting the Giants back into the game. Nobody's complaining because our D DOMINATED that game and we put up 31 points. Sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt. It's about time we got some breaks.

But to give Marvin credit, it did appear he had his team ready to play.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9244

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
It takes more than winning one game to get credit. He has never won a playoff game and has an overall career losing record.

But the fact remains: his team won a big game yesterday and nobody gives him any credit for it.

If they lose, it's all his fault. If they win, it's everybody but him.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
But the fact remains: his team won a big game yesterday and nobody gives him any credit for it.

If they lose, it's all his fault. If they win, it's everybody but him.

This is 100% true. Members will crawl out of the crevices to protect the player they love when he has a bad day and put the blame on Marvin. Case in point they will ask Marvin to have to win a playoff game. But the last time any Bengal coach or player won a playoff game it was in 1991.

More evidence? In 2009 when we were winning games in the 4th quarter and known as the Cardiac Cats did Marvin get the credit? No.
In 2011 when we were winning games in the 4th quarter was Marvin getting the credit? No.

This year when the Bengals lose the close games or games they were suppose to win, does Marvin get the blame? Yes.

Once upon a time if you did not kiss the feet of Carson Palmer, Carson's Calvary would get you.

Now we have a new era, a new "protected" player. If we lose it is not his fault, but if we win.

I expect the new Calvary to come charging any minute now.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 11-13-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33777

Quote:
This is 100% true. Members will crawl out of the crevices to protect the player they love when he has a bad day and put the blame on Marvin. Case in point they will ask Marvin to have to win a playoff game. But the last time any Bengal coach or player won a playoff game it was in 1991.

Once upon a time if you did not kiss the feet of Carson Palmer, Carson's Calvary would get you.

Now we have a new era, a new "protected" player. If we lose it is not his fault, but if we win.

Who's the new "protected" player? Surely you don't mean Andy Dalton. He has more critics than defenders at this point.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

It's the body of work, it's the clock management, the terrible challenges.....Good ol' .500 is what I call Lewis......It's intent is derogatory, sure, bucuz 8-8 don't cut it in this league, every other coach gets fired for that. But not in Mike Brown land.

But when you say a guy is mediocre and call him "ol .500", you are already giving them credit for being better than terrible. Lewis will win some games, he's okay, but that's all he is, okay, not good, not great, not better than average, just okay.

Ordinary HCs who are good enough to get you to the playoffs, sometimes, but never win, should be fired if the ultimate goal is a championship. Marvin Lewis basically is the proof in the pudding that this franchise is not committed to winning it all.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
It's the body of work, it's the clock management, the terrible challenges.....Good ol' .500 is what I call Lewis......It's intent is derogatory, sure, bucuz 8-8 don't cut it in this league, every other coach gets fired for that. But not in Mike Brown land.

But when you say a guy is mediocre and call him "ol .500", you are already giving them credit for being better than terrible. Lewis will win some games, he's okay, but that's all he is, okay, not good, not great, not better than average, just okay.

Ordinary HCs who are good enough to get you to the playoffs, sometimes, but never win, should be fired if the ultimate goal is a championship. Marvin Lewis basically is the proof in the pudding that this franchise is not committed to winning it all.

Keep in mind when you say "ol .500", our QB happens to be .....".ol .500".

W-L
9-8
4-5
____
13-13
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
I said the same thing yesterday just after the game when someone tried the same thing with the credit or lack there of http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...39#post2683639
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

W-L
9-8
4-5
____
13-13
Yea, and he catches all sorts of undue flak for it even in just his second year.....Marvin has had ten. So there's a much larger body of work for Lewis' detractors to make their case on.

Dude, Andy Reid is getting fired when this season is over. At that point, the only coach with more tenure than Lewis will be Bellicheck!!!!

Justify that to me. Explain to me how Marvin Lewis should be the next name mentioned after Bellichecks in any discussion ever on earth???

C'mon man.

Besides, HC is way more accountable for Wins and Losses than the QB.....The QB, right or wrong, in most cases wrong, like with Dalton, is the player that is held most accountable but the coach lives or dies by the team's won loss record. Based on that, Marvin should have been gone long ago. How anyone can argue that at this point is beyond me.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 11-13-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
I said the same thing yesterday just after the game when someone tried the same thing with the credit or lack there of http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...39#post2683639
I've never reserved criticism of Gruden personally....I've pointed out on several occasions that while I think he's proven to be decent, he has yet to prove himself worthy of the HC stuff some ppl laud on him and I rip him in a heartbeat when the offense looks stale.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 179

Quote:

I will not praise Marvin for winning 1 game out of the last 5. He is still a bonehead. Did you see after the great punt return from Adam Jones he put Tate in for the next one and he fumbled Thank god the defense held them to 3 points.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallad82 View Post
I will not praise Marvin for winning 1 game out of the last 5. He is still a bonehead. Did you see after the great punt return from Adam Jones he put Tate in for the next one and he fumbled Thank god the defense held them to 3 points.
You are echoing my point. You won't say the QB won 1 game out of the last 5. Yet you will say that about the HC. Thank you for proving my point.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9859

Quote:

Marvin is still a bad coach, theres no getting around that.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, and he catches all sorts of undue flak for it even in just his second year.....Marvin has had ten. So there's a much larger body of work for Lewis' detractors to make their case on.

Dude, Andy Reid is getting fired when this season is over. At that point, the only coach with more tenure than Lewis will be Bellicheck!!!!

Justify that to me. Explain to me how Marvin Lewis should be the next name mentioned after Bellichecks in any discussion ever on earth???

C'mon man.

Besides, HC is way more accountable for Wins and Losses than the QB.....The QB, right or wrong, in most cases wrong, like with Dalton, is the player that is held most accountable but the coach lives or dies by the team's won loss record. Based on that, Marvin should have been gone long ago. How anyone can argue that at this point is beyond me.
Andy Reid derserves to be fired. He had the "Dream Team" last year and they went flop. The Bengals were not supposed to do anything especially with a rookie QB and WR. The Bengals made the playoffs.

The Eagles and Bengals payroll are vastly different. The Eagles have high priced stars and FA's on their team.

Case in point.

Bengals Salary for 2012 is $51,341,172

Eagles Salary for 2012 is $90,201,805

I rest my case.

Reference

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salari...gles-salaries/

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salari...gals-salaries/

Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 179

Quote:
You are echoing my point. You won't say the QB won 1 game out of the last 5. Yet you will say that about the HC. Thank you for proving my point.
I will say its about dam time Dalton didnt throw a pick and turn the ball over. Those always hurt our team. He is part of the reason we were on a 4 game losing streak. He hasnt been great this year, I would say average.

Do you want Marvin at the helm of our young talented team to lead into the future or someone else?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22253

Quote:

W-L
9-8
4-5
____
13-13
So, you think it's accurate to compare a QB in his 2nd year and a coach in his 10th? Interesting.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
So, you think it's accurate to compare a QB in his 2nd year and a coach in his 10th? Interesting.

I guess it was accurate last year when the TEAM was 7-2 and the best of the AFC, members here were not talking about the coach of 9 years but of the ROOKIE QB!!!

I did not see threads of Coach of the Year, but Rookie of the Year.

Oh how quickly we forget.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19460

Quote:

Exactly.

It's hilarious because the game plan was beautiful yesterday and the game management was perfect, yet Marvin doesn't get the credit because he's just people's scapegoat.

We took the bull by the horns and just wrestled it into submission.

We came prepared to play and we looked great yesterday in every phrase, but out leader gets no credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post

Our team and Marvin's coaching looked a hell of a lot better than mediocre yesterday but you hate because it's a lot easier than giving him credit.

He's never won a playoff game, but look at the franchise for the decade before he got here, and, regardless of everything, he coached a damn good game yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Bengal View Post
We want consistency out of this staff and Marvin.... example.. Sanu, Peerman, offensive playcalling diversity..throwing on first down, aggressive defense. Until Marvin and Co do this every week, and put us in positions to win games, Marvin will get the heat as he should...

Marvin could suggest things, but the coordinators know what they're doing and how they want to call the game to fit Marvin's plan. Look what happened when Marvin told Runkowski to be run-first and it was beat into the ground instead of establishing the run to set up the pass.

Quote:

It's hilarious because this thread was about giving him credit for his coaching job IN THIS GAME, and you just prove the OP's point by bringing up past mistakes and not giving him credit for doing right.

Yes, we'd like to see it more, but it was good and there's no denying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
He was a good coach yesterday, so why not at least give him credit for that?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Bengal
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC

Last edited by BengalYankee; 11-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.