Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2368
Default Worst Vacation Ever!!!

4:56 am the 1st morning of my family's Disney Vacation and not 1 second of sleep. We have been planning this trip for the kids' birthdays all year. Within the last month or so I decided as a gran gesture for my wife who has had an up and down relationship with he parents the last year that it would be nice if we invited the in-laws, big mistake. Never thought in a millions years they'd actually fly 2000 miles out on such short notice.

The room we have is at the military resort and is a pretty decent size. So to save money we decided to share the room as there are 3 beds. However, I made it known this was contingent on her father having his incessant snoring under control. I was assured it was.

Well guess what folks...it's not. I might not be visiting these boards for awhile unless whatever facility I'm sent to for smothering my father in law has Internet privleges.

The snoring is unlike anything I've ever heard. Constant and loud. More consistent and certain then death and taxes. Two things I'd rather be facing at this moment in time.

Now the big question is do I procure some ear plugs or kick the in-laws out of the room and make them pay for their own damn room.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 77321
Default Re: Worst Vacation Ever!!!

I'd be up front about it. Certainly his wife already knows. If you can afford it, offer to put them up somewhere else. Takes care of the problem and keeps the peace.

"God gave man a ***** and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood flow to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21118

Before you go and end up in prison or divorced, try getting him some breathe-right strips. Believe it or not, it does help some of the most ferocious snorers. Many snorers dont know because they either think they wont work, or have plainly not heard of it. Either that or buy the ear plugs. Don't let your anger get the best of you. a few days of unpleasant company is far better than hearing about how much you hate her parents for the rest of your marriage. We can tell you don't like them, but she doesnt need to know.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4956

I used to install satellite dishes for Dish Network. On a trip to Tampa I was rooming with another driver while there overnight to sign for a my install truck. The guy warned me he had a snoring problem, but after 8 years in the Army and sleeping around all kinds of guys with snoring problems I figured no big deal. WRONG. As soon as the lights were out this dude made the most horrible LOUD noises I ever heard. It was like he would forget to breathe and start gasping for air like his life depended on it yet he was totally unaware. I woke him up and asked him to sleep on his stomach. He rolled over and 5 minutes later he started making the SAME noises. I tried plugging my ears, I tries balling up the blankets and covering my head....nothing worked. FINALLY I took my blankets, went in the bathroom, turned on the vent fan and slept in the tub. I actually slept pretty good...tub was nice and cool. Dont hurt the old boy.....Im sure he doesnt mean it...I know I stood over that dude with a lamp in my hand and would probably got off any charge had I video taped it....but I made it through the night........besides Im betting hes a good guy when he's awake. Hang in there and enjoy the trip!!!

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12688

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
4:56 am the 1st morning of my family's Disney Vacation and not 1 second of sleep. We have been planning this trip for the kids' birthdays all year. Within the last month or so I decided as a gran gesture for my wife who has had an up and down relationship with he parents the last year that it would be nice if we invited the in-laws, big mistake. Never thought in a millions years they'd actually fly 2000 miles out on such short notice.

The room we have is at the military resort and is a pretty decent size. So to save money we decided to share the room as there are 3 beds. However, I made it known this was contingent on her father having his incessant snoring under control. I was assured it was.

Well guess what folks...it's not. I might not be visiting these boards for awhile unless whatever facility I'm sent to for smothering my father in law has Internet privleges.

The snoring is unlike anything I've ever heard. Constant and loud. More consistent and certain then death and taxes. Two things I'd rather be facing at this moment in time.

Now the big question is do I procure some ear plugs or kick the in-laws out of the room and make them pay for their own damn room.
These work wonders and will keep the peace.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Well after a few hours trying to sleep in the minivan, bathroom floor, and bathtub I just chalked it up that I would not be getting any sleep. I did politely bring up the topic when everyone was awake. The thing is they know he has a problem and have been to countless doctors. He can't use a mask because he is claustrophobic and he has a special mouth piece but despite my mother in law repeatedly asking him to put it in he just ignored her.

I mean this was loud...the sound you'd expect they would play at Guantanamo Bay if they wanted to deprive you of sleep and break you. I will be getting a hold of some earplugs but I think we are way past breath right strips at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12688

Quote:
Well after a few hours trying to sleep in the minivan, bathroom floor, and bathtub I just chalked it up that I would not be getting any sleep. I did politely bring up the topic when everyone was awake. The thing is they know he has a problem and have been to countless doctors. He can't use a mask because he is claustrophobic and he has a special mouth piece but despite my mother in law repeatedly asking him to put it in he just ignored her.

I mean this was loud...the sound you'd expect they would play at Guantanamo Bay if they wanted to deprive you of sleep and break you. I will be getting a hold of some earplugs but I think we are way past breath right strips at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions!
The ear plugs I posted above are the most comfortable I have found for sleeping.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23771

Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17003

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Why'd youy do it, Eli?

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15917

Quote:

Make a vid with your phone and show him. Maybe he'll realize how it's inconveniencing you and use his mouthpiece. But i don't know him, so maybe not.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31722

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
Make a vid with your phone and show him. Maybe he'll realize how it's inconveniencing you and use his mouthpiece. But i don't know him, so maybe not.
Just dont send them a christmas card this year they will know why.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8459

Is the guy sleeping in the same bed you are?

All joking aside, try going to bed before "The Snorer" and see if that helps.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
These work wonders and will keep the peace.

Got some of those today.

Funny thing was as soon as we got back to the room my father in law pulled out a couple packs of the yellow ones you see in a construction area...

I was thinking to myself...where the Hell were these last night. He had them all along.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Is the guy sleeping in the same bed you are?

All joking aside, try going to bed before "The Snorer" and see if that helps.
Thing was I kinda knew he may snore so I went to bed sooner and even brought some sleep aid. I way underestimated the snoring though. We slept on two separate queen size beds in the same room.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 860
drunk Re: Worst Vacation Ever!!!

Hope your having fun! Make it more fun and just drink so much you pass out and maybe even out snore him so he decides to change rooms. Only thing is the hangover the next morning which may or may not be worth it depending on the outcome.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure4CF View Post
Hope your having fun! Make it more fun and just drink so much you pass out and maybe even out snore him so he decides to change rooms. Only thing is the hangover the next morning which may or may not be worth it depending on the outcome.
Decided to take a drinking approach today at Epcot...

Not so sure it was a good idea. I only had two beers and I'm at my wits end with the wife and in-laws. My wife is a completely different person with her parents in town. Thank God it's not often since we are in the military, but its a huge turnoff. I about had it when dinner time came around and I solicited suggestions. It was decided upon we'd eat at a place in Italy. After fighting for reservations my mother in law decided it was too cold...BS. The table they were sitting us at was right across from an open door. She HAD to sit on the porch but they didn't have seating for 6 out there. So after her making a scene it was decided it was time to head back to the hotel.

Last edited by stonyhands; 11-13-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Spend the dough and put them (or you) in a separate room. This is your vacation. Your kids are only this age once. You probably will only take them to Disney once. Spend the extra money, get some sleep, peace and much needed space.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1469

Quote:
You're just going to have to take this as a learning experience and let it go. You're there for the kid's and gonna have to s*** it up for them. Plus in the long run getting into it with the in-laws when you don't see them much isn't the way to go even if it is their fault.

You've got a lot of good advice only other thing I can add is get a phony illness (runs, tummy ache, headache) whatever works. Stay in the room, let them go to the park and get some rest.

FYI wife and I are Disney fanatics. You got a lot of people so getting a table may not be easy. She has and app or you can do it on the web to reserve a table at any restaurant. Also sounds like you're entitled to a night out with the wife. Leave the kids with the parents and my suggestion is Raglan Road Irish Pub in Downtown Disney. Wishing you the best and have fun.
Quote:
Decided to take a drinking approach today at Epcot...

Not so sure it was a good idea. I only had two beers and I'm at my wits end with the wife and in-laws.
Ha, I'm usually on my second beer, they serve early at the kiosk by Imagination, heading to the Cantina Bar by Mexico to get the wife a Margarita that serves at 11:30am.

BTW, my Avatar was taken in the Rose & Crown England Epcot.
Since Mike Brown became owner, the team has only 5 winning seasons out of 23 and has a winning percentage of .403 (151-224-1) in the regular season and .000 (0-5) in the playoffs. Bengals hold a number of distinctions under Brown's ownership: It is the only team with three 9-game-or-more losing streaks. It holds 6 of the 25 0-6 starts (24%) and 4 of the 13 0-8 starts (31%) in that time. Most successful coach during Brown's tenure is coach Marvin Lewis with a .514 winning percentage.

Last edited by need2mellowout; 11-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.