Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139
Default Re: So who still thinks we need a new QB?

"So who still thinks we need a new QB?"

I think we need a QB who can perform at an elite level (this is more than stats) week in and week out. When he's favored, when he's not. When the rest of the team is cold he is hot. I think we need a QB who can be elite when the other guys are in his face all game and he has no time so he makes time. I think we need a QB who is above excuses. I think we need a QB who is a leader and not another helpless sheep in need of a Sheperd to lead him. I think we need a QB who can actually hit receivers in stride everytime he drops back to pass

I'm not saying this isn't Andy
I'm just saying this is what we need
Am I asking to much?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1088

Quarterback Andy Dalton is now 13-12 with a playoff loss.

The problem with the Cincinnati Bengals is that with the "average", "mediocre" quarterback we have in Andy Dalton a record of 6-10 is easily achieveable for the 2012 National Football League schedule and a predicted 6-10 for the 2013 National Football League schedule is also easily achieveable.

The question always put, is that the National Football league is about the Lombardi Trophy. Quarterback Dalton has proved that in games aginst dominant teams as the Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Texans, the Cincinnati Bengals lose.

Applause for the being in the stadium as the New York Football Gaints lost at Paul Brown Stadium, but quarterback Andy Dalton's record against above .500 is non existent.

Are we to wait for year three, four, five six......for a winning season and a playoff birth.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5654

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post

The problem with the Cincinnati Bengals is that with the "average", "mediocre" quarterback we have in Andy Dalton a record of 6-10 is easily achieveable for the 2012 National Football League schedule and a predicted 6-10 for the 2013 National Football League schedule is also easily achieveable.

The question always put, is that the National Football league is about the Lombardi Trophy. Quarterback Dalton has proved that in games aginst dominant teams as the Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Texans, the Cincinnati Bengals lose.

Applause for the being in the stadium as the New York Football Gaints lost at Paul Brown Stadium, but quarterback Andy Dalton's record against above .500 is non existent.

Are we to wait for year three, four, five six......for a winning season and a playoff birth.
God why won't you go away?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkValleyBengal View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might get chided for this, but I didn't really like the TD pass to Green. Of course I like any play resulting in 6 points, but had anyone been within 5 yards of him they would have had time to recover and at least make the tackle if not intercept or knock the pass down. It worked out and as it turned out that one play may not have made much difference, but Dalton seems to continue struggling with anything deep.

I have never called for another QB mind you, and I like most of what I see from him. But unless I see a better deep passer (accuracy, timing, etc) this offense won't reach its full potential. He has youth on his side still. Plays like the aforementioned aren't ones you can afford to miss in a tight game.
Ridiculous.

Andy saw that there was no me within 20 yards of green and put air under it so green had plenty of time to adjust. If you want a perfectly thrown deep ball, look at the two against the broncos. One hit an right in the hands and the other hit him right in stride and almost resulted in a touchdown.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:

umkabas, you are a troll.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...2/seasontype/2

In 2012, AD is ranked 11th by QB rating.

Note:
No running game
No legit WR2
Rookies at C & RG
2nd year players at LG
Extremely inconsistant starting TE.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21072

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
umkabas, you are a troll.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...2/seasontype/2

In 2012, AD is ranked 11th by QB rating.

Note:
No running game
No legit WR2
Rookies at C & RG
2nd year players at LG
Extremely inconsistant starting TE.
Nope, he's a bot!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33498

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciREborn View Post

I think we need a QB who can perform at an elite level (this is more than stats) week in and week out. When he's favored, when he's not. When the rest of the team is cold he is hot. I think we need a QB who can be elite when the other guys are in his face all game and he has no time so he makes time. I think we need a QB who is above excuses. I think we need a QB who is a leader and not another helpless sheep in need of a Sheperd to lead him. I think we need a QB who can actually hit receivers in stride everytime he drops back to pass

Am I asking to much?
You just described Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. I guess we could could just keep drafting QBs every year and hope we land the next legendary QB, but I don't really think that's realistic.

I would rather stick with a young QB who has already made a pro bowl, led us to the playoffs and can throw for 4200 yards and 32 touchdowns. Btw, I love how Dalton haters say it's not about stats. They say that because Dalton has outstanding stats lol.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
You just described Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. I guess we could could just keep drafting QBs every year and hope we land the next legendary QB, but I don't really think that's realistic.

I would rather stick with a young QB who has already made a pro bowl, led us to the playoffs and can throw for 4200 yards and 32 touchdowns. Btw, I love how Dalton haters say it's not about stats. They say that because Dalton has outstanding stats lol.
Quarterbacks generally take 3 years to find out whether they'll be good or not, and there's nothing in Dalton's body of work in his first 2 years to say that he wont be?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0
bengals Re: So who still thinks we need a new QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Yup, having a #2 receiver should definitely improve his numbers as he won't need to force throws to AJ. Charles had a great catch today, and Sanu has hands of glue.
Glad we're finally utilizing Sanu, but don't forget about Marvin Jones as a contender at the #2 wr spot.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciREborn View Post

Am I asking to much?
Andy is only in his second year, give him some time.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Quarterbacks generally take 3 years to find out whether they'll be good or not, and there's nothing in Dalton's body of work in his first 2 years to say that he wont be?
What ever happened to giving a QB 5 years to accurately gauge how he can play with the big boys? Not saying every QB deserves 5 years, but I wonder what happened to change it to 3 years.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Andy is only in his second year, give him some time.
Andy dalton is a realy good QB is you go back and look at most of his pics you will see that something happened ....like the ball slips out of his hand or it gets tipped or he gets hit on the play.....I would say that 95 percent of the time the ball is perfect .....Hes gonna get better and better....really cant even count last year...he had to learn on the fly....So this is his real 1st year....if you dont think he good go look at some of the good QBs in there 1st 2 years.....Hes way ahead of most QBs in there 2nd year ....Only thing i see that would be a weakness would be he can only throw the ball about 60 yards ....But his 60 yard pass is right on the money to .....So i dont know what you saying .... I mean everybody has bad days ....i think he will win a super bowl ....I also think the next time he plays the steelers or ravens he will beat one of them......i think hes good!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
What ever happened to giving a QB 5 years to accurately gauge how he can play with the big boys? Not saying every QB deserves 5 years, but I wonder what happened to change it to 3 years.
That just seems to be the trend now, I'm guessing it's the structure of rookie deals now plus generally the 3rd year is the make or break year of a quarterback after they've been drafted
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9429

Quote:
Good question, especially since Drew Brees only broke out in his 4th season in the league and was generally considered a bust after 3 seasons. And, before Eli Manning and the Giants went on their Superbowl run in the playoffs of 2007, Eli had just finished his 4th season by leading the league in INTs and had a career passer rating at that point of about 76 and a career completion percentage of about 56%. Andy is not yet quite where we need/want him to be, but for a 2nd year guy he's at a pretty good level ... certainly way ahead of Brees and Eli at the same point in their careers.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
See my post earlier in this thread about sophomore season of about 8 HOF QB's. Dalton's number are better than almost all of them.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
See my post earlier in this thread about sophomore season of about 8 HOF QB's. Dalton's number are better than almost all of them.
It's hard to compare QB's numbers now vs guys 10, 15, 20 years ago. It's just a different game.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Good question, especially since Drew Brees only broke out in his 4th season in the league and was generally considered a bust after 3 seasons. And, before Eli Manning and the Giants went on their Superbowl run in the playoffs of 2007, Eli had just finished his 4th season by leading the league in INTs and had a career passer rating at that point of about 76 and a career completion percentage of about 56%. Andy is not yet quite where we need/want him to be, but for a 2nd year guy he's at a pretty good level ... certainly way ahead of Brees and Eli at the same point in their careers.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! Nice post.

Throw his way and get the FULL NELSON!!!

NOW THATS INTENSITY!!

Even Gronk don't want none of that!!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Quote:

Yea ummmm there is no waiting as he delivered this in his rookie season.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
It's hard to compare QB's numbers now vs guys 10, 15, 20 years ago. It's just a different game.
I will give you the yards sure, but when you look at things like percentages and TD to INT ratio he is still as good if not better than most. Even so some of those guys were Big Ben (Unfortunately he will make it) and Eli (Pre Meltdown) who are from the same era basically.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 219

Quote:

Peyton Manning was 10-15 after his first 25 games. Is he an "average", "mediocre" quarterback too?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Dalton 21 of 30 with 4 tds and no picks today. He actually got some protection today and you can see what he did with it. Still no run game, but Andy is getting it done.

Now on pace for 4140 yards, 32 tds and 20 picks. Completing 64.4%. Those are elite numbers fellas.
Which goons thought we needed a QB before this game? Let me know so I can slap 'em with my strong hand.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

The great thing about this particular game is that the offense and Andy in particular improved greatly on what had been our biggest weaknesses so far this year: 3rd down conversions and red-zone offense. This was by far our best game offensively on 3rd converting 46% of the time and we scored TD's instead of FG's when we got in the red-zone which is not normally the case.

Also, while I agree the defense was great, I disagree with those that say (in this particular game) that we showed be praising them first. It's easier to play defense when you are ahead, particularly when you are ahead early in the game. This was one of the few games where our offense played particularly well in the first quarter. Those 14 first quarter points set the tone for the game. The Giants had to play catch-up which leads to predictability which allows the defense to play more aggresively.

As I've said all along, Andy can take this offense to a different level if he improved his play on 3rd down and in the red-zone. This game proved it. Let's hope it continues on a consistent basis.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7679

first things first - the best course of action with the Umkubas-bot is to ignore whatever it says.

As to Andy, as has been rightly pointed out he has had only one reliable target to throw to (AJ Green). Sanu definitely stepped up last Sunday and the difference for Andy was dramatic. On a rationally coached team this would mean Sanu gets the start and Tate takes his butterfingers to the bench. But not in the bizarre world of Marvin "terrified of starting rookies" Lewis. Watch as he wheels out Tate again and we're right back to seeing the offense sputter as Green is doubled and tripled because nobody is afraid of Brandon Tate.

As far as simply growing as a QB Andy is doing just fine.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanPride View Post
The great thing about this particular game is that the offense and Andy in particular improved greatly on what had been our biggest weaknesses so far this year: 3rd down conversions and red-zone offense. This was by far our best game offensively on 3rd converting 46% of the time and we scored TD's instead of FG's when we got in the red-zone which is not normally the case.

Also, while I agree the defense was great, I disagree with those that say (in this particular game) that we showed be praising them first. It's easier to play defense when you are ahead, particularly when you are ahead early in the game. This was one of the few games where our offense played particularly well in the first quarter. Those 14 first quarter points set the tone for the game. The Giants had to play catch-up which leads to predictability which allows the defense to play more aggresively.

As I've said all along, Andy can take this offense to a different level if he improved his play on 3rd down and in the red-zone. This game proved it. Let's hope it continues on a consistent basis.
A lot of this falls to his receivers as well. How many times have we seen a dropped pass on 3rd down this year. The play-calling in the redzone hasn't always been that great either. You see how things look totally different with a dependable receiver (Sanu) getting the ball on 3rd or 4th down for that matter. I don't think Dalton is much to blame when it comes to poor conversion percentage.

However, one thing I would really like to see him improve upon is the number of tipped balls at the line. It's about time he pump the ball a little more often and now allow DTs to time their jumps so easily with his throws.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
A lot of this falls to his receivers as well. How many times have we seen a dropped pass on 3rd down this year. The play-calling in the redzone hasn't always been that great either. You see how things look totally different with a dependable receiver (Sanu) getting the ball on 3rd or 4th down for that matter. I don't think Dalton is much to blame when it comes to poor conversion percentage.

However, one thing I would really like to see him improve upon is the number of tipped balls at the line. It's about time he pump the ball a little more often and now allow DTs to time their jumps so easily with his throws.
3rd down is a quarterbacks down. It's where QB's separate themselves. It's a down where a defense knows you are going to throw so there is always going to be pressure. Decision making and accuracy are key in these situations.

You don't end up 30th in the league in 3rd downs at 31% success without the QB playing a significant part in that. It doesn't mean that it's been all his fault and certainly there have been drops but there has also been some poor decision making and inaccurracy on that down from the QB position.

It was different in this game and while that wasn't completely due to Dalton, he certainly played a huge role in its success and should be commended for that.

I agree about the tipped ball situation. I know he tied for the most in the league last year and I've got to believe he's up there again this year.