Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Will "The Lawfirm" be a Bengal in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I do think money plays into it a bit. 3 million is around the most we've paid a RB since Rudi Johnson. It's usually around what we pay our "bell-cow".

That said, I really wouldn't mind keeping Law Firm as long as we truly split carries with speedier back (hopefully we take one in round 2). It's obvious now that BJGE is not cut out to be a feature back.
well take into account inflation of salaries and the cap $3 million back when Rudi played is like $5 million now and top backs are getting $7-8 million per year now so I have no issue with Green-Ellis' salary

Plus players struggle adapting to new systems and lesser teams and its no different with Green-Ellis thriving as a situational back at the goal line and short yardage in New England with an excellent line to going to Cincinnati and being an every down back with a lesser offensive line so that's played a part in his struggles too but if the team realizes this and make changes to accomodate his strengths with less carries and and making him situational with another back to offset those carries plus the team upgrades parts of the offensive line he can only be better
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
This. I'm willing to bet that Law Firm will be our starter next year. We'll probably draft a RB, but I don't see Mike Brown letting 3 million sit on the bench.
Like Jason Allen's $2.4 million sitting on the bench?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...s/jason-allen/
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32069

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
How long has Jason Allen been healthy? How many practices does he have under his belt?

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3288

Quote:
This may be from a nagging injury, or the possibility he hasn't learned the playbook because he hasn't had much practice due to injury.

There is evidence showing that our rookies typically are not starters over a veteran unless there is an injury to said veteran or the rookie was drafted to fill an open void (first rounders, Dalton, Maualuga). Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict are just a few of those that had to wait to see the field until a veteran starter got injured (Odom, Tank Johnson, and Howard).

Last edited by OchoCincos; 11-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979

Gradkowski makes more money and has more years of service than Andy.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 134

He'll be here. And unless we go into free agency, he will be our feature back. Even if we draft a RB high, I just dont see Marvin being okay with the rookie doing much pass blocking. He has been notorious for easing rookies in if there is a halfway decent to average veteran playing in front of them. Which is unfortunate, in my opinion the best way for the kids to learn is by letting them play.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 32

I sure the hell hope not if we had a Rb who was even remotely servicable we would have a winning record at least
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Different circumstance. Gradkowski was brought in to be an experienced backup that was familiar with Gruden's playcalling style. Green-Ellis was brought in to play a more prominent role (main portion of the RBBC approach).
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
This may be from a nagging injury, or the possibility he hasn't learned the playbook because he hasn't had much practice due to injury.

There is evidence showing that our rookies typically are not starters over a veteran unless there is an injury to said veteran or the rookie was drafted to fill an open void (first rounders, Dalton, Maualuga). Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict are just a few of those that had to wait to see the field until a veteran starter got injured (Odom, Tank Johnson, and Howard).
Jason Allen hasn't been on the injury report since week 6. He has had full practice for 4 weeks.

ML is playing the players that give the Bengals the best chance to win irrespective of years in the NFL, salary, etc.

Burfict hasn't played a snap in his life at WILL and is an UDFA making very, very little. Lawson is making a lot more and isn't starting.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Special circumstances there. Dalton was Jay's guy and was chosen to be our next franchise QB. Gradkowski was brought in to show Andy the ropes because he was familiar with the offense.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Jason Allen hasn't been on the injury report since week 6. He has had full practice for 4 weeks.

ML is playing the players that give the Bengals the best chance to win irrespective of years in the NFL, salary, etc.

Burfict hasn't played a snap in his life at WILL and is an UDFA making very, very little. Lawson is making a lot more and isn't starting.
But Burfict did not become a starter until Howard went down. Are you sure Burfict has not played a single snap at WILL? I could have sworn he has played some there this season. He's listed as our starting WILL on our depth chart too. I thought he started playing WILL when Howard went down, with Lawson still at SAM. Then Lawson got benched, and Burfict took over SAM and Lamur/Vincent Rey took over at WILL...?

As for Jason Allen...
"Jason Allen DB Thigh Ques Sun - 11/11/12 Allen has been limited in practice with a thigh injury and was inactive for the last six games. He remains questionable against the Chiefs on Sunday."
http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/foo.../injuries.html
But he doesn't show on our official site's injury report link, so I dunno. But we have known that he had been dealing with the nagging thigh injury at times this year.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 11-13-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

I have no doubt that BJGE will be a bengal next year, and he will be the featured back to start out the year.....There are no feature back quality RBs in this years draft, and we will not trade for one, or probably get one in FA.

Its funny so many complain about Mike Brown being cheap and here you are arguing over a 3 million dollar contract for an experience back.

The guy is on pace for 1000 yds and 6 TDs, sounds pretty good for 3 million to me. You get what you pay for in this league (usually) your not going to find a 1500-2000 yd back on the FA market for 3 million a year......and even then, chances are they aren't signing here in cincy.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
I have no doubt that BJGE will be a bengal next year, and he will be the featured back to start out the year.....There are no feature back quality RBs in this years draft, and we will not trade for one, or probably get one in FA.

Its funny so many complain about Mike Brown being cheap and here you are arguing over a 3 million dollar contract for an experience back.

The guy is on pace for 1000 yds and 6 TDs, sounds pretty good for 3 million to me. You get what you pay for in this league (usually) your not going to find a 1500-2000 yd back on the FA market for 3 million a year......and even then, chances are they aren't signing here in cincy.
I think most people want our feature back to have 4+ YPC (me included). But yes, for only $3 million, it's good value. I believe we payed Benson $5 million for the same kind of production.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
How long has Jason Allen been healthy? How many practices does he have under his belt?
Thosse are some expensive practices he's had
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Dan_The_Bengals_Fan View Post
If he is here or not doesnt matter to me, but the Bengals better draft a first round RB.
Did the Chris Perry Fiasco not learn you anything?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9392

If I were a betting man I would put my money on BJGE being here next year and still being the feature back. Mike Brown paid him and now he's gonna play him. Its the Brown family philosophy, you dont cut players you paid good money for, even if they do stink.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Will "The Lawfirm" be a Bengal in 2013?

Quote:

No feature back quality backs in the upcoming draft? I would certainly have to disagree with that comment.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9392

Quote:

Wrong, I can name about 4 of them...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Different circumstance.
Quote:
Special circumstances there.
AKA. This goes against what I am asserting.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
I've said it once and I will say it again. Unless you find an Adrian Peterson or even a Trent Richardson you just don't pull the trigger early on running backs ina draft. I also say that you dont overspend on running backs in free agency. Benjarvis signed a 3 year deal for 9 million with 4 mill guaranteed.
Through 9 Games- 537 yards, 3.4 average and 3 TD's
The Bengals needs a RB who can carry the load and play 3 downs. Not having one has cost them dearly.

I hope the team recognizes this, but no real sign that they do yet. The idea of RB by committee is a failure, as it generally is for teams. Don't need to use a high 1st rounder to find a good RB.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709
bengals Re: Will "The Lawfirm" be a Bengal in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
If I were a betting man I would put my money on BJGE being here next year and still being the feature back. Mike Brown paid him and now he's gonna play him. Its the Brown family philosophy, you dont cut players you paid good money for, even if they do stink.
this law firm dude is the biggest diaapointment to me of this team.we should learn something. the pats let him go for a reason.this guy stinks when it comes to running the pickin ball. i do not believe he has a 100 yards yet going into the 10th game of the season. what a joke.can't figure him out really. he should be much much better than he is. he is big enough, fast enough and all that. i believe he has a vison problem. your thoughts? without a running game, this team will fail to go very far. its just a matter of time when andy dalton will get killed trying to win it my himself. you must have a ground game.again, i say to all, why in crap did they draft the boom herron dude and just leave him on the practice squad?? its mind-blowing really.if he is not good enough to start, why did this stupid staff waste a draft pick on this guy. this is what ticks me off more than anything. all the other teams in the nfl are playing their drafted rbs. not us. stupid marvin lewis.the law firm makes the big bucks, so he starts. i would play leonard, and peerman more. this law firm ticks me off to no end. he was suppose to be our answer to the running game problems.someone on this staff should be in his grill big time and or the 0-line to get the running game going.whenever they bring peerman in he seems to get the yards. what is the pickin problem with this so-called featured back?i do believe our cincinnati bengals will not make the playoffs and be just another average team. too big a hole to climb out of.another losing season and 44 years and counting. the chiefs will be very very hard to beat at their house. they are playing much better and should have beaten the stoolers. the refs gave the stoolers that game and the chiefs know that. they match up very good to us, and guess what, they have a very very good running game. something we cannot stop. just sayin. do not be surprised if we get beat, as our defense will not be able to get off the field, unless they play as good as last week and i just do not trust they to do that. ole marvin and co seem to fall apart, last 10 years when it counts.guess what everyone will be saying. well, theres always next year.what a joke.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalChris View Post
The Bengals needs a RB who can carry the load and play 3 downs. Not having one has cost them dearly.

I hope the team recognizes this, but no real sign that they do yet. The idea of RB by committee is a failure, as it generally is for teams. Don't need to use a high 1st rounder to find a good RB.
Those are a dying breed across the league now, even in the draft as well, all this team has ever done with runningbacks is try to force 3 downs on them, the team needs to get rid of this philosophy and split the carries for a change because it's rare to find anyone who is successful at this anymore unless they're exceptionally talented to begin with and players like that are rare draft picks now
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
There were better CBs available in FA, but the Bengals didn't pursue them. Going the bargain basement route is generally a waste of money.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Laveranues Coles and Antonio Bryant say hello.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Those are a dying breed across the league now, even in the draft as well, all this team has ever done with runningbacks is try to force 3 downs on them, the team needs to get rid of this philosophy and split the carries for a change because it's rare to find anyone who is successful at this anymore unless they're exceptionally talented to begin with and players like that are rare draft picks now
I have to disagree. Being able to run the ball is key to turning a lead into a win and keeping your own defense off the field.

Most RB by committee situations ends up limiting your options on play calling. We've seen this with the Bengals where BJGE will run 80% of the time between the tackles, while Peerman is usually running outside. Having a complete back helps keep the defense honest. It's not the only thing that helps keep the defense honest.

I would buck the trend in the case of RBs. Having a complete RB didn't work for a 100 years for no reason at all.