Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035
Default Re: Observation about our defensive play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza View Post
Yes. Nickel/dime defense you substitute a linebacker for extra defensive backs. You can only do this in obvious passing situations.
Yup the G-Men tried to spread out our Bengals D allot in this game. Rushing 4 mad men with anger issues worked out great. Not sure how to get the same type of effort out of this defense game in and game out but I wish Zim could lock it down.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post
Yup the G-Men tried to spread out our Bengals D allot in this game. Rushing 4 mad men with anger issues worked out great. Not sure how to get the same type of effort out of this defense game in and game out but I wish Zim could lock it down.
They hit Eli 20 times. Ouch. This should be the norm from here on out.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2967

Basically everybody got a dose of what some already knew.

The Bengals corners are just fine, they just had no help. The defensive line was struggling to get pressure. So while everyone was calling Hall "burnt toast" and calling Newman "trash" they failed to realize that the Bengals have a good group of corners, they were just being asked to cover for too long. If the DLine keeps that kind of play up, or even anything close to that, the pass defense will be lockdown.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

Bottom line and what has yet to be pointed out. Taylor Mays is a GREAT FS...not SS. You roll him up in coverage and you take him out of his element. Just like Sean Taylor, Mays needs to be on a team where he has the freedom to rome the secondary and clean up the garbage. THAT's what he's been put on this earth to do. He's a 6'3 230 lb missle and should be treated as such. Just because he's 230 lbs does not mean he should be a SS.

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"

Last edited by 82bengal; 11-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5259

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bengal View Post
Bottom line and what has yet to be pointed out. Taylor Mays is a GREAT FS...not SS. You roll him up in coverage and you take him out of his element. Just like Sean Taylor, Mays needs to be on a team where he has the freedom to rome the secondary and clean up the garbage. THAT's what he's been put on this earth to do. He's 6'3 230 lb missle and should be treated as such. Just because he's 230 lbs does not mean he should be a SS.
GREAT FS? C'mon man.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicyweiner View Post
GREAT FS? C'mon man.
What evidence do you have to say I'm wrong?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73293

Quote:
What evidence do you have to say I'm wrong?
Uhh...what evidence in any way, shape, or form proves your point in any way?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3726

I have an Observation. Pacman played great he was all over the field on defense.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21787

I think the observation that is better is what is the impact of having Sims back in the d-line rotation?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

Quote:
Taylor Mays is a GREAT FS...not SS.
i think what you meant to say is 'could be'.
that's rational.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9797

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
I think the observation that is better is what is the impact of having Sims back in the d-line rotation?
I won't argue that question at all. I've believed he's been a missing and important piece of our DL rotation and it surely helped. I was talking about the way our secondary blanketed (for the most part) the Giants receivers Sunday. We haven't seen coverage like that by this team in a long time.

I just found it peculiar that it all "clicked" in a game when Nelson never touched the field. What made that happen? I know the improved DL play helped, but again, we had WRs covered like I've not seen for quite some time around here.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1522

Agree on Sims. He needs to watch his conditioning and stay healthy, but that man can play in the trenches.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22316
bengals Re: Observation about our defensive play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
I won't argue that question at all. I've believed he's been a missing and important piece of our DL rotation and it surely helped. I was talking about the way our secondary blanketed (for the most part) the Giants receivers Sunday. We haven't seen coverage like that by this team in a long time.

I just found it peculiar that it all "clicked" in a game when Nelson never touched the field. What made that happen? I know the improved DL play helped, but again, we had WRs covered like I've not seen for quite some time around here.
When you get the pressure our front was getting it makes coverage much easier. Teams have lived in the middle of the field on us and the LBERS took that away. We have not been beat down the field with any regularity rather short to intermediate in the middle of the field followed by poor tackling.

Our LBers stepped up and covered the middle of the field and the short passing game like it is suppose to be covered. It had zero to do with Nelson not being on the field. We probably would have dominated the backend even more with Nelson.

Bottomline nothing to read into it at all. Nelson has played well this season.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2739

Quote:
Ok, I know a lot of things have already been discussed here about what happened with our defense this week, but that being said, here' s one thing I've not seen or heard anyone talk about:

What effect did Reggie Nelson not playing have on our team?

From what I read, Mays started in place of Nelson and our secondary had one heck of a game this week. I've liked Nelson all along, but it's odd that he's out and Mays was in and the secondary covered like blankets this week.

Thoughts?
The Return of Pat Sims was a plus, but just as Durmervil (not sure of spelling but he was on the Broncos) stated, The Bengals are super-talented and needed to get a winner's attitude. Coach Lewis also focused on the mindset by pushing psych buttons leading up to the game. There was a very nasty (Good) attitude that emerged that week. I just don't think that this can been ignored. Getting Nelson back, with this new fire is nothing but great. All should do well and get better as a team.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29515

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloeHokie View Post
Pressure. Our D line played way better and Eli was in trouble most of the day. The secondary always looks a lot better when the QB is under duress.
This.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Uhh...what evidence in any way, shape, or form proves your point in any way?
Maybe because he was an All-American for USC at FS. Maybe because once he made the move to SS he has struggled. The one game he goes back to FS, the Bengals have the best defensive showing all year. Yeah, we can say that it was because of the Dline, however, I recall several times where Manning held on to the ball for 4-5 seconds without pressure....something had to be going right in the secondary. Bottom line...I like Mays at FS. I think it's his natural position. He has the size and closing speed that's very imposing to the offense. Could I be wrong? Hell Yes, it was just one game, but history tells me he's a better FS.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73293

Quote:
Maybe because he was an All-American for USC at FS. Maybe because once he made the move to SS he has struggled. The one game he goes back to FS, the Bengals have the best defensive showing all year. Yeah, we can say that it was because of the Dline, however, I recall several times where Manning held on to the ball for 4-5 seconds without pressure....something had to be going right in the secondary. Bottom line...I like Mays at FS. I think it's his natural position. He has the size and closing speed that's very imposing to the offense. Could I be wrong? Hell Yes, it was just one game, but history tells me he's a better FS.
College success =/= NFL success
The dude played 13 snaps. How is he the reason for great defensive showing?
The fact is he has awful hip fluidity which absolutely negates his speed is reason enough he'd be an awful FS. Not to mention the fact he's already given up big plays in coverage in his limited snaps playing deep. The thing going rightin the secondary was amazing coverage with Mays not on the field. It was Hall and Pacman drenching one of the best WR duos in the league
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3726

Quote:
I don't mean to burst your bubble but Mays played on the strong side and Crocker played weak side. Not only that but Clements played more snaps than Mays at safety.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31794

Quote:
Ok, I know a lot of things have already been discussed here about what happened with our defense this week, but that being said, here' s one thing I've not seen or heard anyone talk about:

What effect did Reggie Nelson not playing have on our team?

From what I read, Mays started in place of Nelson and our secondary had one heck of a game this week. I've liked Nelson all along, but it's odd that he's out and Mays was in and the secondary covered like blankets this week.

Thoughts?
I think we had Clements playing the Deep Saftey this week..

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31794

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
College success =/= NFL success
The dude played 13 snaps. How is he the reason for great defensive showing?
The fact is he has awful hip fluidity which absolutely negates his speed is reason enough he'd be an awful FS. Not to mention the fact he's already given up big plays in coverage in his limited snaps playing deep. The thing going rightin the secondary was amazing coverage with Mays not on the field. It was Hall and Pacman drenching one of the best WR duos in the league
Well remember its not all about what we see like when we saw roy williams play 2 games and ndukwe play 14 for the #4 ranked D...

then we resigned Roy williams and let Ndukwe hit the streets.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 526

I must admit that my eyes are usually on the backfield when we are on defense and I move them down-field as the play develops. I love the pressure we are getting on QBs of late AND I also have noticed significantly more double/triple pumping by opponents QBs which implies solid coverage. What explains the resurgence of the secondary? Has Kirkpatrick been a big boost? Are the LBs covering better? Are the safeties stepping up? Or are they all manning up a bit after Marvin called out Rey and Dalton?

I know it is great to see QBs struggling to either have time to find a receiver, or even with time, struggle to find one open.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8644

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
You have to give Crocker some credit for stabalizing the D. We've improved a great deal since his return. I too was surprised however that the loss of Nelson didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.
Absolutely correct Sir !
“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, ****, ****, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ”

Charles Bukowski.