Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 24,758
Rep Points: 78495
Default My new hero

The $5 doctor:

http://news.yahoo.com/5-doctor-pract...--finance.html

Quote:
"I always just wanted to be a doctor to help people with their medical problems and that's all it's for .," the 87-year-old family physician says. "It was never intended to make a lot of money."
Quote:
Moore is the one who collects the $5 fee when the patients leave though a few times a day, Dohner tells her "never mind" and tries to quietly let a few go with no charge.
How cool is that!
__________________
A message to the team:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,739
Rep Points: 47073
Default Re: My new hero

Yes, that man is definitely one of a few that remain, from a bygone era, when people went into medicine to help people, rather than for financial gain. I can remember my grandmother telling me about growing up on a rural farm in the 1920's, near Dunkirk Oh. She would tell me that the doctor would come to the house, and sometimes all that they had to offer was a chicken, or a basket of eggs, or a bushel of grain. She said family members would often go to his farm and work for free, out of gratitude.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Beaker's Avatar
Beaker Beaker is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: An undisclosed biological research facility.
Posts: 21,663
Rep Points: 62087
Default Re: My new hero

Absolutely awesome. He does it because he cares.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,017
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: My new hero

Nice find Zona. It sort of shows me that what I tell people sometimes is true. The answers to fixing our problems don't start in the White House, or in the Capitol building. Not in the voting booth, or on the partisan news networks. These are not where our country will, or can, become great again.

The answers to the problems facing this country lie in people like Dr. Dohner, and your next door neighbor, and you, and me. Imagine, just for a second, if everyone in this country approached things like that man.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petting L'il Sebastian
Posts: 24,758
Rep Points: 78495
Default Re: My new hero

It makes me feel shame and I can't help but wonder how I put myself in the situation where I owe so much for stuff that I can't afford to follow this man's example.
__________________
A message to the team:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,494
Rep Points: 23566
Default Re: My new hero

If only the entire world could operate in a manner where such little value is placed on money. Wah..wah......wah. This dude is super cool though. If I knew him, I would use my skills to give him something good for a very small price.

EDIT: That is not meant to be as dirty as it sounds. I simply want to design him a home for $5.

Last edited by Johnny Cupcakes; 11-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,706
Rep Points: 23155
Default Re: My new hero

Great find.

Too many people work for the wrong reasons, and it is nice to read about someone able to give back simply by doing what he loves. Debt is a mountain for many people in, or fresh out of college, but why does that have to handcuff anyone?


Go volunteer at a shelter for a few hours a week, or donate food and warm clothing as the temperature is taking a turn. People don't just need help on the holidays, they need it all year round. This doctor has the freedom to serve people for $5.00 apiece, but just because we can't make as grad a gesture doesn't mean we should simple sit back, do nothing, and pat this guy on the back.


Donate some time, food, clothing, or personal products to a local shelter, church, food bank. Just because you can't be charitable for a living doesn't mean you cannot improve upon your own altruism. This is the right time of year to go through your closet and donate a bunch of cloths you rarely wear, or stuff just taking up space. Maybe you'll wear that sweater 3 more times in the next 5 years, but people are cold, homeless, and hungry now. Take a few hours, clean out the closets, and help your fellow man a little more this winter.


This doctor has certainly raised the bar, but just because we cannot reach his mark doesn't mean we cannot improve on our own charitable giving.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
wildcats forever's Avatar
wildcats forever wildcats forever is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,328
Rep Points: 55072
Default Re: My new hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Great find.

Too many people work for the wrong reasons, and it is nice to read about someone able to give back simply by doing what he loves. Debt is a mountain for many people in, or fresh out of college, but why does that have to handcuff anyone?


Go volunteer at a shelter for a few hours a week, or donate food and warm clothing as the temperature is taking a turn. People don't just need help on the holidays, they need it all year round. This doctor has the freedom to serve people for $5.00 apiece, but just because we can't make as grad a gesture doesn't mean we should simple sit back, do nothing, and pat this guy on the back.


Donate some time, food, clothing, or personal products to a local shelter, church, food bank. Just because you can't be charitable for a living doesn't mean you cannot improve upon your own altruism. This is the right time of year to go through your closet and donate a bunch of cloths you rarely wear, or stuff just taking up space. Maybe you'll wear that sweater 3 more times in the next 5 years, but people are cold, homeless, and hungry now. Take a few hours, clean out the closets, and help your fellow man a little more this winter.


This doctor has certainly raised the bar, but just because we cannot reach his mark doesn't mean we cannot improve on our own charitable giving.
Post of the year!
__________________
" Insignificant events can take on monumental proportions when your head is full of practically nothing." - Grace Slick
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
wildcats forever's Avatar
wildcats forever wildcats forever is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,328
Rep Points: 55072
Default Re: My new hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
And thread of the year!
__________________
" Insignificant events can take on monumental proportions when your head is full of practically nothing." - Grace Slick
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
BengaliJack's Avatar
BengaliJack BengaliJack is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,024
Rep Points: 6494
Default Re: My new hero

That man is a dying breed....a hero and a great man. Now I feel like a turd
__________________


COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM
jmccracky's Avatar
jmccracky jmccracky is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 7,876
Rep Points: 16952
Default Re: My new hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
That man is a dying breed....a hero and a great man. Now I feel like a turd
Me too. Thanks Bengalzona. Thanks.



Seriously this guy is a great human being. I bet there are more out there like him, but we will never hear about it. Shame.
__________________
Shalom Aleikhem
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
NDfanatic's Avatar
NDfanatic NDfanatic is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East End
Posts: 2,432
Rep Points: 5310
Default Re: My new hero

Wonderful story. We need people like this out there, high morals, good values, sounds like a great throwback to a generation that is almost extinct these days.
__________________

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.