Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 209
Default I'm in on the trade down idea.

I like the idea of trading back.

1 Barrett Jones C/G/T Alabama
A man who can play anywhere on the line and do it well.

2 T.J. McDonald S USC
Still my fav. safety.

2 Khaseem Greene OLB/S Rutgers
A very talented LB.

2 Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford
New feature back.

3 Margus Hunt DE/DT
A HUGE DE to use in rotation.

3 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
Some young depth to perhaps replace the old.

4 Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA
We need the help

5 Mike Taylor OLB Wisconsin
Still a fav. pick of mine.

6 Josh Boyce WR TCU
Daltons boy. Has some speed!

6 Cameron Meredith DE Nebraska
Smart big run stopper...

Tell me why this draft stinks. Tell me why you hate it.

Or if it rocks or whatever!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 487
Default Re: I'm in on the trade down idea.

Don't really love your first round pick. While he is worthy of that pick I think our needs on D are too great not to address at least one in the first round of the draft.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30030

The ONLY way I see using a first round pick on a lineman is if we lose Andre.

Get Cook back and our O-line will be much better.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

How far back would we be trading to get a later first, a second, a third, and a sixth round pick? A team would have to pull a Falcons-to-Browns caliber trade in order for us to receive that much for a mere mid-first round pick.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

I like the idea, but I don't like some of the players.

1. I like Jones. I would take a look at him, but I don't think there is anyway that the Bengals would draft him considering they have Cook/Boling/Zietler on the team.

2. I'm not a fan of McDonald.

The rest of it I like.

If we are going to move down, I would draft a safety in round 1. I am sick of seeing the S position ignored. It's like the TE position of years past. We would ignore it for years at a time.

Give me Vacarro out of Texas in the first (provided we are picking 16 or later)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I like the idea, but I don't like some of the players.

1. I like Jones. I would take a look at him, but I don't think there is anyway that the Bengals would draft him considering they have Cook/Boling/Zietler on the team.

2. I'm not a fan of McDonald.

The rest of it I like.

If we are going to move down, I would draft a safety in round 1. I am sick of seeing the S position ignored. It's like the TE position of years past. We would ignore it for years at a time.

Give me Vacarro out of Texas in the first (provided we are picking 16 or later)
Barrett Jones seems to be a special, special player. He can play LG, RG, C, and RT. Obviously, he plays on Alabama, so he has experience playing against some quality defenses.

If the Bengals could trade back their 1st round pick and get an additional 2nd rounder, I think that Barrett Jones would be an excellent addition to our oline.

BengalRugby always points out that Bengal QBs rarely attempt QB sneaks, and when they do, the QB runs between the RG and RT. This seems to reflect a lack of confidence in the Center and/or a lack of ability in the Center.

Kyle Cook is no where near an elite center. If the Bengals don't choose to upgrade the Center position in 2013, then I hope that they strongly consider it in 2014.

LT: Whit/Collins
LG: Boling/Wharton or Robinson
C: Jones/Cook
RG: Zeitler
RT: Smith/TBD

Also, drafting Barrett Jones gives the Bengals an interior option that could enable them to cut Travelle Wharton's contract and not pay Wharton's $2.65 million contract in 2013 giving it to another player (e.g. Atkins, Dunlap, Gresham)

WTS, I really want the Bengals to button up the Strong Safety position as well. But in my mind, Barrett Jones would be a very welcome player in stripes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/FS
For whatever reason, CBS has Vaccaro ranked as the 72nd overall best player in the draft. There is a possibility that the Bengals could still get Vaccaro in the 2nd round as the OP reflects.

Last edited by mulligan; 11-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
How far back would we be trading to get a later first, a second, a third, and a sixth round pick? A team would have to pull a Falcons-to-Browns caliber trade in order for us to receive that much for a mere mid-first round pick.
Cowboys traded up from 14th to 6th overall swapping 1st rounders and give up their 2nd.

The Bengals swapped 1st with the Patriots (21st to 26th) and picked up an additional 3rd rounder.

In my opinion, Barrett Jones will be gone by the 26th pick. We probably would be able to trade back once (maybe), pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and maybe still be able to get Barrett Jones. CBS has him as the 27th overall pick.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

I just don't see the Bengals drafting an O-lineman in the first round when:

1. We have Whitworth at LT
2. Boling is a young LG.
3. Cook just got a decent sized extension.
4. Zeitler is a first rounder
5. Andre would be resigned.

It makes no sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Cowboys traded up from 14th to 6th overall swapping 1st rounders and give up their 2nd.

The Bengals swapped 1st with the Patriots (21st to 26th) and picked up an additional 3rd rounder.

In my opinion, Barrett Jones will be gone by the 26th pick. We probably would be able to trade back once (maybe), pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and maybe still be able to get Barrett Jones. CBS has him as the 27th overall pick.
Using the 2012 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart (http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html), let's simulate going back from Pick 15 (us) to Pick 25 (other team).

We have a value of 1050 for our 15th pick.

Other team has a value of 720 for their 25th pick. 2nd-round=330. 3rd-round=145. 6th-round=17.4. The sum of which equals 1212.4.

The other team would lose too many value points in this trade. 1050-1212.4=-162.4 for the other team. This would be a huge win for us though.

In Dallas' scenario, Pick 14=1100, 2nd-round=440. Sum = 1540. The value of the 6th pick that they got was 1600. Difference of 1600-1540=+60 for Dallas. They won that trade, according to the value chart.

In the Bengals-Patriots scenario last year...Pick 26=700, 3rd-round=140. Sum=840. The value of the 21st pick is 800. The Bengals benefitted, based on 840-800=+40 for the Bengals.

In both of the scenarios above (Dallas scenario, Bengals-Patriots scenario), they are around 50 differential only. So overall, a pretty fair trade. The one being proposed in this mock (trading back from 15 to 25, gaining 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round picks as well) is a differential of 150+.

A team will likely not trade so much just to jump from 25 to 15, unless a player is there that they see as EXTREMELY above the rest of the competition, and is worth sacrificing all of those other picks.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Now that the rookie salary cap is in place, the trade chart is a little outdated.

It used to be a huge burden to have a top 5-10 pick, now it's not that big of an issue as far as pay goes.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Now that the rookie salary cap is in place, the trade chart is a little outdated.

It used to be a huge burden to have a top 5-10 pick, now it's not that big of an issue as far as pay goes.
Yes, but the cap was in last year, and I used examples from last year. They were still close in terms of value. So the numbers provided still have significance.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:

If you look at the trades from last year they are remarkably close to the trade charts value. I was expecting to see a wide variance, but until someone reworks it for the post cap era I think it will be in continuous use.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

2. Boling is a young LG.

It makes no sense.
Do you think that people said that same thing when the Bengals drafted Whitworth in 2006?

If Jarvis Jones, Te'o, Werner, Mingo, & Montgomery are all gone, who do you think the Bengals should draft?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25221

Quote:
Do you think that people said that same thing when the Bengals drafted Whitworth in 2006?

If Jarvis Jones, Te'o, Werner, Mingo, & Montgomery are all gone, who do you think the Bengals should draft?
Damontre Moore (tho everything I have read indicates he is going back)
Jesse Williams is climbing up boards
Alec Ogletree
and if all those guys are gone, a good chance that Star or Hankins may have fallen.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Damontre Moore (tho everything I have read indicates he is going back)
Jesse Williams is climbing up boards
Alec Ogletree
and if all those guys are gone, a good chance that Star or Hankins may have fallen.
You would be on board with drafting another NT?

I would trade back before I would draft another NT.

I like Alec Ogletree, but I don't know if I like him enough for a 1st round pick around the 16th overall.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You would be on board with drafting another NT?

I would trade back before I would draft another NT.

I like Alec Ogletree, but I don't know if I like him enough for a 1st round pick around the 16th overall.
Yes I would. Peko, Sims and Thompson are not so good that I would pass on Star, Hankins or Williams at 16 if they represented the best player available.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes I would. Peko, Sims and Thompson are not so good that I would pass on Star, Hankins or Williams at 16 if they represented the best player available.
I don't think that I could get on board with a NT in the 1st round.

Conceptually, I understand how it would help. But practically, the Bengals have too many big needs to draft a luxury DT pick. (SS, RB, LB, DE)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think that I could get on board with a NT in the 1st round.

Conceptually, I understand how it would help. But practically, the Bengals have too many big needs to draft a luxury DT pick. (SS, RB, LB, DE)
And if there is nothing there, do you pass on the talent for inferior players?
The difference between the SS, RB, LB and DE you will get at pick 16 and pick 35 this year is minimal.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
And if there is nothing there, do you pass on the talent for inferior players?
The difference between the SS, RB, LB and DE you will get at pick 16 and pick 35 this year is minimal.
I would opt to trade back and get additional players.

After the elite players (top 10), there seems to be very little difference between the next tier of "inferior" players.

Even if the Bengals are able to trade back and secure an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, then I think it would be worthwhile.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105
bengals Re: I'm in on the trade down idea.

Quote:

2. Boling is a young LG.

It makes no sense.
Are you so sure about not replacing Smith. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if MB lets him walk.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
Are you so sure about not replacing Smith. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if MB lets him walk.
Wouldn't surprise me either. IF it did happen, would it finally be time to see Anthony Collins at starting RT? Collins is signed until 2014, and has been very solid depth for us ever since he's been here. Some have argued in the past (mainly back when Smith was playing poorly) that Collins could be our starting RT.

If Smith walks, I'd definitely like a high pick on an OT, but the battle for starting OT between a draft pick and Collins would be one to keep an eye on.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
If you look at the trades from last year they are remarkably close to the trade charts value. I was expecting to see a wide variance, but until someone reworks it for the post cap era I think it will be in continuous use.
Right, but in past years nobody wanted to jump up to #5 or #6 and give a guy a $50 million contract and give up picks to do it..

Quote:

Whitworth wasn't drafted in the 1st round. The Bengals tend to go BPA in every round after the 1st. I think they try to draft BPA in round 1, but they almost always seem to go with a need.

With our current roster, I wouldn't take Mingo, Montgomery or Werner. I don't think taking a rotational player in round 1 is a smart move when we have needs. IF we are drafting 15-20, I would take Vacarro out of Texas or try to trade down. It seems that there are a few elite players in this draft and then a bunch of 2nd round picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
I would be shocked if they let him walk. Right now, I base all of my draft "speculation" on the current roster. It's too difficult to project who is coming and going in the offseason.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
With our current roster, I wouldn't take Mingo, Montgomery or Werner. I don't think taking a rotational player in round 1 is a smart move when we have needs. IF we are drafting 15-20, I would take Vacarro out of Texas or try to trade down. It seems that there are a few elite players in this draft and then a bunch of 2nd round picks.
CBS currently ranks Vaccaro as the 72nd overall best pick.

It seems possible for the Bengals to trade down AND also get Vaccaro. Walter Football has Vaccaro going 38th overall.

I would love for the Bengals to trade back their first & net an additional 2nd rounder. They also have the potential to trade back twice, grab an extra 2nd & 3rd rounder as well.

Imagine,
1st - Barrett Jones
2a - Vaccaro
2b - Okafor/WR
2c - RB
3a - SAM
3b - CB
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
CBS currently ranks Vaccaro as the 72nd overall best pick.

It seems possible for the Bengals to trade down AND also get Vaccaro. Walter Football has Vaccaro going 38th overall.

I would love for the Bengals to trade back their first & net an additional 2nd rounder. They also have the potential to trade back twice, grab an extra 2nd & 3rd rounder as well.

Imagine,
1st - Barrett Jones
2a - Vaccaro
2b - Okafor/WR
2c - RB
3a - SAM
3b - CB
CBS rates him there, but alot of them rate hiim as the #1 safety and a top 25 guy.

I usually go off of ESPN this time of year.

I don't see the Bengals starting Barrett Jones for a few years if they drafted him, that's why I can't see them drafting him.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
CBS rates him there, but alot of them rate hiim as the #1 safety and a top 25 guy.

I usually go off of ESPN this time of year.

I don't see the Bengals starting Barrett Jones for a few years if they drafted him, that's why I can't see them drafting him.
If Robinson plays solid the remainder of the year, I could see the Bengals drafting Barrett Jones, cutting Kyle Cook, and having Robinson as the back up center going forward.

Whit/Collins, Boling/Wharton, Jones/Robinson, Zeitler, Smith/TBD

It is possible that Cook's guaranteed money has already been paid out, so the Bengals wouldn't have any "dead money" to account for.

Cook's contract http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4765/kyle-cook
9/2/2011: Signed five-year, $15.835 million contract. The deal contains $5 million guaranteed. 2012-2015: $2.5 million, 2016: Free Agent