Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Was losing Cook and Wharton a blessing in disguise?

I never want to say this, as it sounds terrible to say an injury was a good thing, but do you think we've improved after these injuries?

Boling is currently the 4th best LG in football according to PFF, and he's improved immensely since last season when he played a couple of games at RG. Do you really think he would have gotten a fair shot at the position had Wharton not gotten hurt? Wharton is on a 3-year contract, so I'm guessing it'd be 2014-2015 before Boling even got a chance. We'd have one of the top performing guards in the NFL sitting on the bench while Wharton went down hill. (Not making predictions, he's getting older, it's likely it'd happen)

Robinson has been playing decent as well. I'll not argue that we're better off with Robinson, because that's a lie, but Robinson just might be something to look at in the future. As much as I miss Kyle Cook; he's an average center when he's here.

I guess my point is, we could be going into 2013-2014 with not only a younger offensive line, but a group of guys that are potentially better anyways. I think the offensive line will only get better as they go, and the future is looking good for this bunch.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18360
Default Re: Was losing Cook and Wharton a blessing in disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I never want to say this, as it sounds terrible to say an injury was a good thing, but do you think we've improved after these injuries?

Boling is currently the 4th best LG in football according to PFF, and he's improved immensely since last season when he played a couple of games at RG. Do you really think he would have gotten a fair shot at the position had Wharton not gotten hurt? Wharton is on a 3-year contract, so I'm guessing it'd be 2014-2015 before Boling even got a chance. We'd have one of the top performing guards in the NFL sitting on the bench while Wharton went down hill. (Not making predictions, he's getting older, it's likely it'd happen)

Robinson has been playing decent as well. I'll not argue that we're better off with Robinson, because that's a lie, but Robinson just might be something to look at in the future. As much as I miss Kyle Cook; he's an average center when he's here.

I guess my point is, we could be going into 2013-2014 with not only a younger offensive line, but a group of guys that are potentially better anyways. I think the offensive line will only get better as they go, and the future is looking good for this bunch.
Robinson would still be on the team, so lokisng Cook hasn't been a blessing, as we've been stuck with Faine for the whole season, and his 6 garbage games of 8.

Never wanted Wharton to begin with, and I cannot see him be a backup here with Boling as the starter.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3663

Losing Cook was not a blessing...I will agree with you on Wharton, Boling has shown a ton of improvement, and deserves to start. If Wharton was still healthy I doubt we would have seen Boling much, if at all, this year.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I was never a huge Cook fan, but he has been missed. Faine had such a great start in the opener v. the Ravens that I had high hopes. Since that time he has been slowly turning into Eric Ghiaciuk. Pleased with Robinson, but not sure he's the center of the future. Love Zeitler in Boling as the OG's, though.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

I was really excited about the Wharton signing but since Boiling is playing so well I don't know where he fits next year maybe move Boiling to Center or have Wharton as a back up
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73633

The line play in the losing streak could have been even more improved and the team could have won another game. INstead we got both Cs playing like poo. Robinson has had one good game, so don't get too excited
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

cook is definitely missed, Wharton definitely not. Wharton wasn't signed back to Carolina for a reason and I'm not referring to his injury issues
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Dude, stop the PFF nonsense. If they were legit, we'd have the greatest O-Line of all time. They have not both our guards rated as about the best in the league, they always rave about Whit at LT, yet somehow we can't run the ball for crap.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyaoutkast View Post
cook is definitely missed, Wharton definitely not. Wharton wasn't signed back to Carolina for a reason and I'm not referring to his injury issues
Have you seen our pathetic running game? And have you seen Carolina's lack of a running game and decline in line play since he left? Wharton is definitely missed.

Wharton was let go for a reason. To save money. It had nothing to do with performance.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Dude, stop the PFF nonsense. If they were legit, we'd have the greatest O-Line of all time. They have not both our guards rated as about the best in the league, they always rave about Whit at LT, yet somehow we can't run the ball for crap.
Dude, stop being a moron when it comes to analysis, and just shut it.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:
Have you seen our pathetic running game? And have you seen Carolina's lack of a running game and decline in line play since he left? Wharton is definitely missed.

Wharton was let go for a reason. To save money. It had nothing to do with performance.
Or his torn ACL.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

our running gm isn't good because our rbs aren't quick or fast enough to hit the gaps quick enough when they open and no starting center. Have you watched the gms and seen who are rb's are? I guess not huh. Wharton was not signed back to Carolina due to his inconsistencies and age. It had nothing to do with there cap. Don't have a clue where you got that from lol. Carolina has 5.1 in cap room and signed Stewart to a nice contract and still could have signed Wharton for the same amount he signed here and still would have cap space, they didn't because he was inconsistent and aging

Last edited by heyyaoutkast; 11-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3287

We cannot say whether we have improved. Wharton could have been as good or better than Boling. Injury happened too early in the season to tell. Same with Cook. At least the Bengals tried bringing in a guard and center.

I can say one thing: Faine has been poor.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 494

Quote:

Cook is very much missed. The running game **** because we do not have an explosive breakaway runner. 5 yards and a pile of dust, the AFC North way of doing things.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41964

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Or his torn ACL.
Not sure Wharton tore an ACL at Carolina..

To the OP. No it wasn't a blessing in disguise.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
Cook is very much missed. The running game **** because we do not have an explosive breakaway runner. 5 yards and a pile of dust, the AFC North way of doing things.
exactly!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

I said it when I signed Wharton...he wasn't that good. He was a lower-tier starting Guard. Had he been healthy though, no way do the coaches play Boling.

Robinson had 1 decent game so far. Let's wait and see how he progresses.

We still cannot run the ball this year and Dalton has been sacked a lot.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Losing Cook was not a blessing...I will agree with you on Wharton, Boling has shown a ton of improvement, and deserves to start. If Wharton was still healthy I doubt we would have seen Boling much, if at all, this year.
Coming out of preseason I think the feeling was that Boling had played well enough that he was going to get snaps but still losing Wharton may not have helped even it helped develope Boling for the future. Do they release Wharton next year? ...or keep him for quality OG depth?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1933

Boling has played real well. Their was rumor coming out of trainig camp before wharton got hurt that boling could have wound up starting anyway. Cook has been a curse no doubt about it Faine has been terrible and robinson hasnt been much better.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Boling has played real well. Their was rumor coming out of trainig camp before wharton got hurt that boling could have wound up starting anyway. Cook has been a curse no doubt about it Faine has been terrible and robinson hasnt been much better.
Do you really think that our coaching staff would start a second year player over a "proven vet"

Not likely.

Anyways, for the rest of you, read what I wrote. I said Robinson is something to look at in the future, not our answer now.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Do you really think that our coaching staff would start a second year player over a "proven vet"

Not likely.

Anyways, for the rest of you, read what I wrote. I said Robinson is something to look at in the future, not our answer now.
While you are correct in that, there WERE 3 instances IIRC where they mentioned that Boling was outperforming everybody.

CHILD PLEASE
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20886

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
The line play in the losing streak could have been even more improved and the team could have won another game. INstead we got both Cs playing like poo. Robinson has had one good game, so don't get too excited
One is better than none and could be the start of something, unlike zero.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Dude, stop being a moron when it comes to analysis, and just shut it.
Do you work for PFF or something? You act like it's some infallible resource.

He makes a great point about having so many highly rated O-lineman. If they are all so great, we should be much more efficient in ALL aspects on offense.

PFF is a nice reference, but it has a ton of limitations.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Do you work for PFF or something? You act like it's some infallible resource.

He makes a great point about having so many highly rated O-lineman. If they are all so great, we should be much more efficient in ALL aspects on offense.

PFF is a nice reference, but it has a ton of limitations.
Because it evaluates players as individuals not as a cohesive unit.
We block well on the line. The grades reflect this.
We don't block well from the TE spot. We don't block well at WR. We don't have a RB who can turn the corner.

We lack talent at RB and it shows.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Not sure Wharton tore an ACL at Carolina..

To the OP. No it wasn't a blessing in disguise.
He had an ACL and MCL. But if he comes back healthy, he will be a nice addition.

Here is a guy with legitimate NFL left tackle experience and is a very good pulling G. We have not had a real pulling G since Steinbach.

The problem in Carolina was that he was extended as a LT, and was slated to be their highest paid player this year. So, salary cap and pride brought him here.

Too bad he got hurt, because with him and Whit on the left side, and Smith and Zeitler on the right, this line would have been scary.