Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2447
Default Two Scenarios Mock

If Mingo is available when we pick....
1) Barkevious Mingo, OLB LSU - Our starting SAM. He has had a down year, which could make him slide. Current projections are that he will slide to mid-first round. Pass rush machine.

2) Cornellius Carradine, DE Florida State
- He would go into the rotation with our other DEs. Carradine has been shadowed by Bjoern Werner, but is still a very solid DE, both in pass and run defense. 9 sacks on the year so far.

2) Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama
- He would become our primary RB. Has good agility, power, and can catch.

3) Bacarri Rambo, S Georgia
- There should be quite a few different safeties in a deep safety class, so really just best available safety at our third round pick. Rambo could become one of our starting safeties. Rambo is good in pass coverage and is a sound tackler.

4) Jonathan Bostic, MLB Florida
- Bostic provides quality depth if we move Burfict to MLB, and has been a leader on the Florida defense. He also has the skill set to start at MLB if we keep Burfict outside.

5) Marc Anthony, CB Cal
- He has over 20 passes defended in his college career, and he is big (6'0", 200 lb). He can play all over the secondary. He does need to develop his ball hawking skills, as he only has a handful of interceptions out of those numerous defended passes. He has decent speed, clocking a 4.54 40-yard dash.

5) Braxston Cave, C ND
- Solid C for a national championship contender. Depth on our OL is a good thing.

6) Michael Dyer, RB Arkansas Baptist or Marcus Davis, WR Virginia Tech - I think we could use depth at either WR, RB, or even TE. Dyer has the skills to be a great RB, and it's always good to have insurance. Davis is a monster (6'4", 232 lb, 4.47 40-yard dash). With Sanu showing that he can be a good, reliable starter, Davis can be added for depth. We still have to see more of Marvin Jones as well. He has shown not to be quite as productive against tougher competition this year, but having a big guy that can run fast and block well in the running game is a valuable asset. If both are gone, I'd be up for snagging a good blocking TE (Michael Williams, TE Alabama).

If Mingo is gone by our first pick...
1) Sam Montgomery, DE LSU - A solid DE both in the run game and pass game. He has been overshadowed by Mingo, but has produced while going against some great SEC linemen.

2) Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford - Another great option to become our next starter at SAM. 3 sacks, 1 interception, and 3 PDs on the year so far.
**Rest of draft stays the same as above**
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6245
Default Re: Two Scenarios Mock

I really like this approach, especially if the Bengals can land Mingo (SAM) and Carradine (DE).

My only concern is if Rambo falls off the board prior to the Bengals 3rd round pick. What would be a consolation prize? Lester from LSU or Shawn Williams from UGA or Tony Jefferson from Oklahoma?

This seems to be an extremely deep safety class.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20639

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I really like this approach, especially if the Bengals can land Mingo (SAM) and Carradine (DE).

My only concern is if Rambo falls off the board prior to the Bengals 3rd round pick. What would be a consolation prize? Lester from LSU or Shawn Williams from UGA or Tony Jefferson from Oklahoma?

This seems to be an extremely deep safety class.
The difference in terms of skill and value at S this year is very minimal. Lester and Rambo play a different style than Williams or Jefferson. So it depends on what you want. Both Lester and Rambo play better in zone and patrolling the secondary, allowing instincts to take over. Rambo at times struggles in man coverage but he can read the ball as well as anyone in the nation can. If we take Rambo, we would probably be best served if we move Nelson over to SS and let Rambo play center field for us.

Jefferson and Williams are more of the in the box type who can cover but are best closer to the line where they can maximize their above average tackling. Jefferson's best trait I have seen is that he is such a sure tackler. And Williams is no slouch either. Williams seems to have that "it" factor in terms of being a leader.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
The difference in terms of skill and value at S this year is very minimal. Lester and Rambo play a different style than Williams or Jefferson. So it depends on what you want. Both Lester and Rambo play better in zone and patrolling the secondary, allowing instincts to take over. Rambo at times struggles in man coverage but he can read the ball as well as anyone in the nation can. If we take Rambo, we would probably be best served if we move Nelson over to SS and let Rambo play center field for us.

Jefferson and Williams are more of the in the box type who can cover but are best closer to the line where they can maximize their above average tackling. Jefferson's best trait I have seen is that he is such a sure tackler. And Williams is no slouch either. Williams seems to have that "it" factor in terms of being a leader.
Exactly. When it comes to safety, it comes down to preference of style. There are a lot of solid safeties this upcoming draft, and I'd be fine with a style like Rambo's or a style like Jefferson's. I personally like the style of Rambo, as I think Reggie Nelson's skill set fits more of a SS style. he is good in run support, but possess the ideal coverage and ballhawking skills.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 11-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 427

This is the first Ive seen with Mingo playing in a stand up OLB role. Im a little concerned thinking of him making that switch, especially in a 4-3 D that uses the OLBs more in coverage than as a blitzer. Id be surprised if we were truly interesed in using our first rounder to move a player to a position we werent positive he was comfortable playing
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Taking another project with our 1st rounder? No thanks. I can't see using a 1st rounder on a DE that is going to be converted to another position. That's asking for trouble - unless we move to a 3-4, but I don't see that happening.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Taking another project with our 1st rounder? No thanks. I can't see using a 1st rounder on a DE that is going to be converted to another position. That's asking for trouble - unless we move to a 3-4, but I don't see that happening.
So then you are in favor of scenario two with Montgomery as our first rounder and Thomas as our first second-round pick if you had to go with one of these scenarios?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 427

I know I am. I don't really love either of the DEs from LSU to be honest. There is a ton of raw talent but not a lot of finish on either one
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalDawg View Post
This is the first Ive seen with Mingo playing in a stand up OLB role. Im a little concerned thinking of him making that switch, especially in a 4-3 D that uses the OLBs more in coverage than as a blitzer. Id be surprised if we were truly interesed in using our first rounder to move a player to a position we werent positive he was comfortable playing
True. My thinking with Mingo was more that he is too small to be a 4-3 DE, and he's even smaller than Maualuga and Burfict. I thought that with his pass rush ability and instinctual play, that he could become a great SAM LB. But he would ultimately be a 3-4 OLB, being used primarily for pass rush.

In that case, I'd rather my second scenario of Montgomery and Thomas with our first two picks.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
True. My thinking with Mingo was more that he is too small to be a 4-3 DE, and he's even smaller than Maualuga and Burfict. I thought that with his pass rush ability and instinctual play, that he could become a great SAM LB. But he would ultimately be a 3-4 OLB, being used primarily for pass rush.

In that case, I'd rather my second scenario of Montgomery and Thomas with our first two picks.
I agree on Mingo. He looks like 3-4 OLB. Not a fan. Montgomery is out performing him against better tackles. So I would go with scenario 2. But I really dont like Thomas. I think Greene or Porter are going to be better pros. Lacy is an odd prospect to me. He's not the best RB on his team and I think he is suffering from Bama inflation and a bad draft class. Sorry, not trying to tear your draft apart.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I agree on Mingo. He looks like 3-4 OLB. Not a fan. Montgomery is out performing him against better tackles. So I would go with scenario 2. But I really dont like Thomas. I think Greene or Porter are going to be better pros. Lacy is an odd prospect to me. He's not the best RB on his team and I think he is suffering from Bama inflation and a bad draft class. Sorry, not trying to tear your draft apart.
I would really disagree with your assessment of Lacy
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
I would really disagree with your assessment of Lacy
Fair enough. I try to see where a lot of the buzz around him is coming from but am struggling. Every now and then he flashes and makes me say wow. But just as often is seems like he is riding the coat tails of a very good O-line.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Fair enough. I try to see where a lot of the buzz around him is coming from but am struggling. Every now and then he flashes and makes me say wow. But just as often is seems like he is riding the coat tails of a very good O-line.
Ive made the comparison before, but he reminds me of a pre-injury Michael Bush at Louisville.
Good vision. Strong runner. Has moves.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I do like both Greene and Porter, but I see them much better at WILL, not SAM. I see Thomas as a better run defender and rusher, whereas Porter and Greene are better in coverage. Thomas is still decent in coverage as well. I am expecting either Burfict stays at WILL or we re-sign Howard to play WILL, and Burfict moves to MIKE.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
So then you are in favor of scenario two with Montgomery as our first rounder and Thomas as our first second-round pick if you had to go with one of these scenarios?
That's a difficult question because I am not a fan of drafting a DE in the first round.

I guess if I had to make a call I would say I would rather have a SAM backer than a guy that will just be in a rotation with MJ, Dunlap and the others.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28036

Just once can we try drafting a SAM LB to play SAM LB? Or at least a LB. We haven't been good t that spot for years.

Other than that, I like it.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Just once can we try drafting a SAM LB to play SAM LB? Or at least a LB. We haven't been good t that spot for years.

I gotta admit, I had not watched Mingo much at all, but just heard about his pass rushing ability. I then looked up his stats and size, and draft sites were labeling him as a OLB, so I assumed that he at least played SOME OLB, not all DE. The only true SAM I know of with first round consideration is Jarvis Jones. I have watched him a decent amount this year, and he is amazing. But we have a very low chance of getting him.

I then was looking at projections around where we would most likely be selecting (10-20), and the only picks that really make sense for us are pass rushers (OLB and DE). That is unless we trade up/down.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post

Didn't you just post a mock with Te'o being moved to SAM?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
He did. I think he is saying he's tired of the converted DEs to SAM experiments.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
He did. I think he is saying he's tired of the converted DEs to SAM experiments.
Im tired of drafting MLB and putting them at OLB
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Notre Dame runs a 3-4. So Te'o isn't technically a SAM or a MIKE. What do you consider him?

Should the Bengals only consider LBs that play in a 4-3 defense?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Notre Dame runs a 3-4. So Te'o isn't technically a SAM or a MIKE. What do you consider him?

Should the Bengals only consider LBs that play in a 4-3 defense?
I get you are trying to be clever, but it failed.
Te'o is an MLB. He plays ILB in a 3-4. He would be a MLB in a 4-3.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I get you are trying to be clever, but it failed.
Te'o is an MLB. He plays ILB in a 3-4. He would be a MLB in a 4-3.
It isn't being clever.

I have read that some believe that Te'o is too slow to be a MIKE in a 4-3 offense. If this is the case, then Te'o could also be considered to play as a SAM in a 4-3 defense.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
It isn't being clever.

I have read that some believe that Te'o is too slow to be a MIKE in a 4-3 offense. If this is the case, then Te'o could also be considered to play as a SAM in a 4-3 defense.
Then he isn't worth the pick.
If you have to change the position of a player they probably aren't worth the pick that early.
Just take an actual SLB.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Then he isn't worth the pick.
If you have to change the position of a player they probably aren't worth the pick that early.
Just take an actual SLB.
I would play Te'o as a MIKE. Some are concerned by his speed.

I wouldn't classify shifting to SAM from a 3-4 ILB as a "change of position". This is a bit dramatic.