Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2964
Default Re: Play Peerman more and DON"T SIT OUT SANU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
The linited time I see peerman playing he seems more explosive yet doesnt protect the ball with both hands with more carries it could become a liability.
No question he is more explosive. He hasn't fumbled yet but his snap amount isn't near enough to determine whether he is a liability or not. I'd like to find out though. He's an upgrade to Green Ellis.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
No question he is more explosive. He hasn't fumbled yet but his snap amount isn't near enough to determine whether he is a liability or not. I'd like to find out though. He's an upgrade to Green Ellis.
Yep. He's definitely faster than BJGE. Peerman doesn't have ideal change in direction, but he can hit a hole and be gone if he can see daylight. BJGE, when finding a hole and seeing daylight, gets caught by linebackers.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870

I think some misunderstood me. I'm not saying they need to make Peerman our #1 back but when he is the only RB consistantly gaining more than 1-3 yards a carry, then he deserves to be included in more run packages than he has been.

I'm hoping that the powers that be will go shopping for a strong young powerhouse in the off season to be our feature back for the future. I know that League is pass oriented but a good running back can still change the game if he is used properly and at the right times.

1. I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever; with my mouth will I make known Thy faithfulness to all generations.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
Sanu is our #2 receiver.
Marvin made a very clear statement to the contrary:

Quote:
Mohamed Sanu had a very good game last weekend. Could he be the answer at the ďXĒ receiver?
ML: ďIíll continue to play the guys as I have. Heís done a good job. Each guy that seems to get an opportunity, they try to make the most of it. Iíll continue to play them as they have. I donít know if thatís a good answer to your question, but thatís where I am.Ē.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals_Moderator View Post
Jones won't be ready this week. That was Marvin Coachspeak. Sanu has won a spot on the active roster. He will not be inactive the rest of the season.
Active is one thing. In the lineup and getting thrown to is another.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1558

The receivers should be AJ, Sanu, Hawkins and Jones. Sanu can pop back and forth between slot, and wide out. Of course, AJ brings talent at all levels to the field. The others bring different things.

Hawkins is quick and explosive; Sanu is very strong to the ball, with good, strong hands, and a tough runner; Jones has shown flashes of getting open deep as well as anyone we've got except Green.

Tate runs a pretty fast 40, but he seems to have trouble getting open. Not much deception or elusiveness in his patterns, although usable in a pinch.

But I think that top four can begin to throw some huge problems at defenses and then you've got Gresham and Charles, who can also make some pretty good plays.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCloud View Post
The receivers should be AJ, Sanu, Hawkins and Jones. Sanu can pop back and forth between slot, and wide out. Of course, AJ brings talent at all levels to the field. The others bring different things.

But I think that top four can begin to throw some huge problems at defenses and then you've got Gresham and Charles, who can also make some pretty good plays.
lol, on paper it sounds amazing, doesn't it?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Bengal Fan View Post
I see where Jones may be back for the Chiefs game. If Marvin sits Sanu out I'm going to flip out. This kid has done nothing but make plays & I fully believe he gives us a better chance at winning when he's on the field.

In another thread I called for more playing time for both Sanu and Peerman. They finally got a chance and both came out and played well against the Giants. As far as I'm concerned they should both get more playing time.

If Jones is able to go then so be it but hopefully Marvin & Co. have enough sense to keep these two guys on the field. What say ye?

More Sanu and Peerman and start to mix in a little Marvin Jones on deep routes, if he has his speed. I will also add that I would like to see more and more of Orson Charles. The guy has caught everything thrown his way, and turns upfield quickly to gain extra yardage.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
Trying to make something of their chance is not always the same as making the most of it. Let's give Tate an A for effort but let's give Sanu the PT. He's trying AND succeeding, Marvin. Isn't half a season enough time for the picture to become clear for you? Are you after equal opportunity or production?

Lots of guys have caught lots of passes in the NFL without blazing speed and lots of guys with blazing speed have caught very few. So what if Tate is faster, right? Just give me who's better and that seems pretty obvious after just one game. Sanu didn't take nine games to make an impact. He took eight games of not getting chances and one game to make an impact.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

I was just thinking that a double pass from Dalton to Sanu that he throws deep to AJ early could demoralize a weak-minded team. We know he can throw it, but a backward pass, that looks like a screen could **** up their safeties only to see it fly over their heads to AJ.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
Now there's a guy who is non-existent in the pass game. Wasted roster spot. His return game is average and that fumble last week could've really hurt.
If my memory is correct,tate picked up a blitzer on AJ Greens' 56 yard td catch.ML referred to it as a hidden big play. I agree that tate doesn't have good enough receiving stats to merit playing time over Sanu or Jones.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post

Mohamed Sanu had a very good game last weekend. Could he be the answer at the ďXĒ receiver?
ML: ďIíll continue to play the guys as I have. Heís done a good job. Each guy that seems to get an opportunity, they try to make the most of it. Iíll continue to play them as they have. I donít know if thatís a good answer to your question, but thatís where I am.Ē.
This is where my problem lies with Marvin. You have to give these guys some kind of rhythm. Build a little more chemistry.

Binns and Tate had their shot. They were meh. So now let these guys take their turn.

I'm not a fan of switching a bunch players in and out. Find the talent and stick with it. How hard can that be?

What have you got to lose. If we don't have the best guys on the field now we'll be toast even if we should happen to make it into the playoffs.

It seems this is the perfect scenario for finding who your "go to" guys will be in the future anyway.

Don't screw it up by thinking your some kind of guru Mr. Lewis.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

yeah. that quote really upset me. the dude hears us, acknowledges that he hears us, and then promptly shuts us out to wheel out tate and other lackluster starters on the regular.

last i checked you fielded the players that gave you the best chance to win the football game. it's not like this is the ****ing preseason.

pretty puzzling.

Last edited by Lygraf; 11-15-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Against 3 of the toughest teams in the NFL(Denver, Pitt, NYG) Sanu has proven to be a capable receiver, and has only gotten better the more time he's seen.

Meanwhile, Brandon Tate had exactly ONE good game this year(week2 vs Cle): 3rec, 71yards, 1td.
The rest of his combined stats: 4rec(12targets), 28yards, 0tds.

Binns is just slightly better.

If Sanu isn't starting #2 this week, and possibly for the remainder of the season, Marvin is an idiot.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19923

I'll keep up my banter that Sanu should be the starter from here on out and see the majority of the snaps at #2 wr. This in my opinion is good for the short term and definitely for the long term beyond this season. When and if Jones ever comes back, let him have a few looks to see what he has, since, well, he hasn't had many meaningful snaps this year and preseason imo. But make Sanu the number two!

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
I'll keep up my banter that Sanu should be the starter from here on out and see the majority of the snaps at #2 wr. This in my opinion is good for the short term and definitely for the long term beyond this season. When and if Jones ever comes back, let him have a few looks to see what he has, since, well, he hasn't had many meaningful snaps this year and preseason imo. But make Sanu the number two!

I agree with all of that to a point. If there is a matchup situation where Jones could be getting open deep, with his superior speed, then by all means we need him in the game.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Sit that bum Tate... He offers no value whatsoever...
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6456

Only a REALLY dumb coach specifically rules out having the best player on the field. It's also funny how Marvin starts talking about crap like "hidden big plays" to justify keeping an underperforming veteran like Tate on the field and keeping a completely superior rookie like Sanu on the bench. You would think seeing the dramatic effect having a reliable #2 WR had on Dalton would be sufficient to make the point.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
If my memory is correct,tate picked up a blitzer on AJ Greens' 56 yard td catch.ML referred to it as a hidden big play. I agree that tate doesn't have good enough receiving stats to merit playing time over Sanu or Jones.
I believe that you are right about that. I'd like to think that if Sanu were in Tate's position on that play it would be the same result. Tate has his moments....theyre just far too few and between.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
I agree but even if Jones gets a look then Sanu should still be on the field playing the slot position, that way if Jones doesn't get loose Dalton will still have two threats on the field in Green and Sanu.

1. I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever; with my mouth will I make known Thy faithfulness to all generations.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Only a REALLY dumb coach specifically rules out having the best player on the field. It's also funny how Marvin starts talking about crap like "hidden big plays" to justify keeping an underperforming veteran like Tate on the field and keeping a completely superior rookie like Sanu on the bench. You would think seeing the dramatic effect having a reliable #2 WR had on Dalton would be sufficient to make the point.
No kidding. Tate making one nice block and Marvin will pitch a tent over it. Tate will see the field this week with that 1 play alone. Marv will just ignore the fact that he has 3 catches in 9 games. A receiver who makes 1 reception every 3 games??? Sign me up!!! Come on Marvin use your ****ing brain for once.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Default Surprised?

Gruden on Sanu:

"He's awesome in the red zone," Gruden said. "In zones he has a great feel for finding the holes and man-to-man he's got a big body (6-2, 210) where he can create separation for himself. He's everything we hoped he would be. It just took us too long a time to figure it out I guess."

Hawk was our slot. It was hard to get him in there. Now that (Sanu) is in there it's going to be hard to get him out."

Gruden says he's not sure what he'll do when Hawkins comes back, but he thinks Sanu can be a solid outside guy and his spectacular one-handed lefty grab for a two-yard touchdown last Sunday came when he was lined up outside.

Gruden on Peerman:

Gruden also admitted that Cedric Peerman has taken the team by surprise as he moves from seldom-used backup to change-of-pace back. Peerman has had to fight the stigma of being a sixth-rounder who excels on special teams, but with bursts of 31 yards last week and 14 the week before, he is showing he can provide some of the quickness Scott was supposed to show.

“(Peerman) is another guy in training camp and preseason every time he gets the ball he has great vision and does good things. When we had Bernard and Cedric (Benson), he didn’t get the reps. Then on third down Brian Leonard would come in so he was never in the mix," Gruden said. "More of a special teams guy. He didn’t have enough handoffs in our game plan to get all four touches. But now that we have (Peerman) as the number two, he’s been able to take advantage of his reps. We had a feeling he would be pretty good but you don’t know until you give him those reps.

How many of us have been calling for more playing time for both these guys? I hope they don't mess with success when the others are healthy enough to return. If these guys are producing I say let them play until they don't!

Last edited by Long Time Bengal Fan; 11-28-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273
Default Re: Surprised?

Thats what I think, here (in this forum) we can see some very solid opinions from people that understands the game. Althought somethings you don't need to be expert to see, its obvious.

tcholas
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12040

Nice!!!

I'm glad to be seeing more of Sanu and Peerman and hope we continue to see more!!!

I like how Gruden wasn't afraid to say "It just took us too long a time to figure it out I guess." Better late than never, right?

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5053

I think the thing is we as fans only see a snap shot of what the coaches get to see. Coaches see guys every day in practice and then have to balance that with the same snap shots the fans see. I know a lot of coaches value practice and if you don't practice well you don't play. Guys like Sanu just don't practice well for whatever reason, but when the lights come on they shine.

For every guy the fans demand to start like a Sanu or Peerman there are guys that the fans demand to see who really are just no good. Back up QBs are the biggest example of this, but it does happen a lot.